0 comments

Fiction Mystery Thriller

*Authors Note: This story takes place semi in the future where robots are starting to enter the world. Sam is the first person in the world to make a functioning robot like this one. Enjoy!*


"You sure this is a good idea, Sam?" Jay asks me nervously, I glance over at him as I finish screwing in the last few bolts of the metal machine. "Oh Jay, you worry to much" I grin as I screw the last bolt in place, "Ready?" I look at him, excitement full in my eyes and my grin large "You know im not, but that aint gonna stop you" I shrug and nod my head back and forward "True" I laugh then turn back to my creation. I stare excitedly at the red switch, one side labeled "On" and the other labeled "Off". "Oh Sam your killing me do it already!" Jay says nervously as he crosses his arm in a T and chews on his finger nail. "Okay, okay" I take a deep breath, before closing my eyes and flicking the switch too "On". I hear the rattling of the metal before it goes quiet, I nervously open my eyes, but just see a glowing screen with a face staring back at me. "It worked.." I whisper in awe "Of course it did! Your Sam Hiker! One of the smartest girls I know!" I stare at him like hes an idiot "Thats not true, there are so many smart females out there" I say flatly before turning back to my robot "Sam, thats why i said 'smartest girl ive met' " Jay says, walking around the robot. I roll my eyes playfully "Yea, yea, yea. But I still have to run tests, this could completely flunk"


"Mekla?" I test the name out, it was the name I had programmed her to respond too. "That is me." My eyes go wide, I look at Jay "It worked?!" I breath a laugh in shock "Why do you sound so shocked?" "Because im 15 and I made a robot thats responsive, even the top scientists haven't done this. This is huge!" I laugh nervously. "What can I do for you Sam? Jay?" The robot turns to face each of us, I look at Jay then to Mekla "Can you go grab me that glass of water on the table over there?" I point to a table on the far end of the lab. "Will do Sam. Anything for you Jay?" Jay stares at me, mouth hanging open, he slowly shakes his head "No, Im good..." He says in awe. Mekla nods her head back and forth before turning and rolling towards the table. I watch in awe before turning back to Jay "I think I did it.." I mutter in shock


---------------------- 6 Months Later --------------------------


"Mekla!" I groan. I hear the rumble of her engine coming down the hall of my house before pushing open my door "Yes Sam?" "Can you get me some medicine? Oh and we have a meeting in an hour" "Would you like me to set a reminder for that?" "Please?" "Will do Sam" then she leaves the room.

"Knock knock?" I smile softly when I hear Jays voice "Come in" I say tiredly, and sit up "You doing okay? You know you can reschedule your meeting?" I pout and shake my head "Nu uh" he chuckles and sits down next to me. "Your medicine" "Thanks Mekla. Please go back to your charger" "Okay Sam" Jay chuckles and I rest my head on his shoulder and groan "I need to get ready for the meeting" He smiles "Well imma go eat your food" he grins playfully before jumping off the bed and walking out the door. I roll my eyes playfully and laugh before picking out a white crop top, ripped jeans and a flannel. Then I curled my hair. "Ya'll ready to go?!" I call "Yea-one-second!" I hear Jay call, mouth full of food. I chuckle "Okay just hurry up!" "Mekla! lets go!"


"So, Sam, tell me, how long did it take to build -" "Mekla" I interrupt "She took me a year to build, I started when I was 14 years old. I started her up for the first time 6 months ago, and since then ive ran tests and shes ran smoothly. Not even the top scientists have been able to accomplish this. I was pretty proud" "And are you going to, in the future make more of her and have her as a product to others?" I thought for a second, that had never accrued to me as an option, and it would many life times to do that. "Im not sure yet, probably only to people who may a lot of money." "well lets meet this machine" I nod "Mekla! Come please" I hear the rumble of her as she comes out from behind stage, I smile as I hear the "whoa"'s and "omg"'s fall from the crowd. "Hello Sam, please introduce me to your friends" I smile "Mekla, this is Ron and out there are people watching the news." Mekla stares at me, the color in her eyes, the programmed glassy blue now looks like a deep purple. Oh no, this isnt good I think to myself, I programmed her to change her eye colors when she is feeling different feelings or something is wrong. "Mekla...?" She stares at me, then looks to Ron, the news reporter. "Ron, how may I assist you?" "Um... Sam?" I look at Ron "Do not answer her, whatever you do" I stand up and step closer to Mekla "Mekla, hey look at me" She turns her head, her eyes nearly black. "Everyone, get out. now." "Whats going on Sam?" "Ron! Go!" I scream "Ron you never answered my question. How may I help you?" Everyone else had huddled in a corner and Ron was standing, staring blankly from me to Mekla "Ron. Go. Do not answer her" He nods and slowly backs away, disapering into the shadow of the backstage. "Mekla look at me" Her eyes were fully black now, she was turning against me. "I dont know why this is so sudden but listen to me, dont move" I start slowly stepping towards her but she rolls backwards "Just because im a robot dosent mean im a slave" I laugh in shock "Your kidding? Thats what I made you for! To do things for me and to keep me company. Not a slave." I continue towards her but I feel a hand on my shoulder. Jay. "Sam, whats going on?" he whispers to me. I look at him, my eyes scared, I wasnt prepared for this and were on live TV "Shes programmed like a person, if she feels betrayed she turns on her owner, so me. Then she finds a new one, and she choose Ron. If he would have answered that question shed be his." Jay stares at me "And why would you do that?" I shake my head, I wasnt even sure at this point. "We just need to flick that off button, I can reprogram her then it should be fine." Jay sighs but nods. "Mekla, off" I see her eyes flicker but she fights "Try harder Sam. I feel betrayed. You did this too me." "Yes I know Mekla!! I didnt mean too! Now I will fix you if you turn off!" I scream this time, I was too stressed, I hear whispers but they all blend together until I tune them out and its just me, and my turned machine. I see her eyes flicker and her fight, then her screen goes black.


----------------------- 1 Month Later ---------------------------


"Are you sure about this?" I ignore him. "Mekla?" I say, nervously. I programmed out the betrayal trait. The Live News Meeting went viral, It would be nearly impossible to rebound from this unless I put her too actual work and show her skills, which is exactly what Im going to do. "Hello Sam. How may I help you?" I smile, it worked. Hopefully. "Can you go charge? Your job dosent start tell tomorrow" I smile and watch her roll off.

February 22, 2021 03:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.