1 comment

Adventure Drama Science Fiction

"crazy cooks" was the name of the smallest restaurant in the town. There was a man who always wore a hat and neck tie standing in front of it looking for customers. Everyone hated their menu.

'we need a secret ingredient'

Said his wife who was always in the kitchen to his three daughters who were the waitresses. Yes, it was a family business.

They looked everywhere for things the humanity never tested.. they invented meals and gave them funny names and before they knew it, people started to flock to the little space until it flooded.

One day, one of their daughters decided to look for another job that could give her some reputation.

"I want to be a star" she said to her beautiful self as she was looking at an interesting offer on a poster. She wanted to do, she wanted the money and the fame.

'You seriously want to be a spaceman?' asked her little sister while dropping the plate she was nearly done washing.

She did not agree to the decision she made about being the first person to see the future. Nobody supported her anyway but thousands of dollars were worth risking for according to her.

Living it all behind she went to the science laboratory with all the expectations to see her children and her husband, she wanted to see how successful she had become and how her sisters looked... She wanted to see how her town would change... There were a lot of people watching her doing the test.. she was given a very small microphone the she wore on her ear. And then an outfit for protection incase she landed in an unpleasant environment.

'now, Jessy, this is the future if you keep doing things like you are doing right now. Every choice you make will have an impact later. You can go into the machine' one of the scientists said

She got into the machine, and in seconds, she saw herself in a white room surrounded by doctors wearing masks and all sorts of protective materials.

And then she went out of the room without anyone noticing. She wondered where her family was. On the wall was a big screen showing news.

"Television? That is really big"

She said to herself as she listened to the news.

It was about family that eat bat soup. And then pictures of her family were flashed all over the screen, she saw people destroying a really big restaurant that was said to be theirs.

Their cravings for secret ingredients had invented a pandemic all over the world.

Mouth agape, she let tears flow on her face. How could it possibly happen? She assumed that it was all the mother's idea since she was the one who was so desperate about the secret ingredients.

'excuse me ma'am are you lost?'

One of the receptionist asked her while looking at her in a very intimidating manner. It was clearly not because they recognized her from the news because she looked significantly different in the pictures. Maybe it was the way she dressed, her make up and clothes must have said something questionable.

From the boots to the jeans and pink eye shadow. They must have thought it was ridiculous. She looked and saw that she was the center of attention in the hospital, she had to do something about.

She went outside the hospital only to find out that they left their town.

Everything was different, a good number of people wore masks, and she saw tall building and beautiful roads... There were a lot of shops and interesting houses. Moving in the streets was horrible considering the fact that she came from a world where cars were owned by merchants.

'hey! Watch your way!' one of the drivers yelled at her as she almost got it by a car.

Then she decided to return to the hospital to see her. Family.

Getting close to the hospital, she saw a Lady with a kid that looked seven, carrying car keys while giving a man a kiss.

"Kisses in public? This is insane"

Looking closer, she recognized that the man was her boyfriend back in time. Everyone in her family knew him and the was best friends with her younger sister. And then she decided to follow the two back into the hospital. Only to see that the woman was her younger sister, the one that told her not to go into the science laboratory. She felt betrayed buy her younger sister, how could she marry her boyfriend?

' excuse me sir, I'm here to see my sister, I'm told she has been transferred to this hospital'

She heard the girl telling the reception.

"Diana has good English now, she must have gone to school against Papa's wishes" she thought.

And then the news started again, they said that the founder of the soup was invented by Jessy James. It was her, they showed her picture on the screen and then showed reports of different allergies caused by most of her recipes and the victims in which one of them was her father. According to the reports, her father died due to mushrooms.

It was alot to take in, her so called passion for unique menu had evolved into desperation and then it clearly was an addiction. What if she never saw the future?

Was it possible to change the future?

The first thirty minutes of her future felt too overwhelming that she forgot that she was supposed communicating with the scientists back in time.

' I am in a different city, I can't find my home'

She said to them after switching on the micro phone that was on her left ear.

Then she saw a sign that said "crazy cooks"

' Jessy you have two minutes to get out of there' said one of the scientists

'what? I have a boyfriend to stalk, a restaurant to see, and I wanna see myself.. like..will I die?' she replied.

'choose one thing, hurry up!'

Nothing was more important than the cause of the whole trauma. She went to the restaurant and saw burnt chairs and broken glasses. It was shattered. In the contrary, she saw so many great things that she had done to the shop, she just needed to be neat and cook good. They just need nice chairs like the ones that had been burnt, nice paint and floor.

After fourty five minutes, she realized she had a career to fix and a relationship to end.

Yes, her boyfriend was only hers because she was the easy one to get, after all, she just wanted the attention. Looking at the nice couple they made, her boyfriend and her sister were clearly meant to be. There was no reason to force things.

'you have thirty seconds remaining' she hit the button as the little stop watch told her it was time to go back to the past.

At least she knew bat soup wasn't food. But someone else started the pandemic anyway.

September 03, 2020 17:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Felicity Edwards
10:53 Sep 13, 2020

An interesting story. There are a number of things that are glaringly wrong. I don't think English is your first language. I suggest you check out some rules of grammar to make the read easier. Your ideas are wonderful though. Keep writing but look into those other issues. Have you thought about Grammarly? It could help you a lot. Well done.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.