0 comments

Adventure Coming of Age Funny

It's terribly hot on the savannah. Lions like me are having a rough time. I should lose weight as it's getting harder than ever to carry those antelope up the tree. I remember the days where it used to be a walk on the park (no pun intended). 


And these flies! I don't want to get in a bad mood but where the heck is the wind? My tail hurts since Zoopie, the baboon bit it. It used to work well against the flies on my back. 

I think i got a tooth abscess, more to contend with. Last time it took three weeks to go away and i had to eat snails and fruits all of that time. 

It's not easy. Now i got Putters coming around sniffing and courting my femmes. Seriously? 

Skinny, ugly-ass youngster trying to challenge me? 

What has this world come to? This new generation, whatever letter is assigned to it, is pathetic. And they stink. Of course they do, since they never bathe!

It's too hot to fight anyway. 

Mombutu, our caretaker is bringing some idiotic tourists for selfies with me. He's coming in this direction. Putters is no contest when it comes to posing like a champ. Besides, the Japanese always preferred me.

It's definitely a plus to have a good reputation for being not only friendly but extremely good looking and photogenic. Side to side with the other lions in the pride, they all look like they belong in Urgent Care.

I'm glad they're coming for pictures. Maybe i get showered with treats. My favorites are pig ears and the Japanese have suitcases packed with them. 


But it's so hot, i wish they'd hurry up. And don't forget the electrolyte water. Not today. Arghhh! (Lions roar made perfect). 


The jiraffes and the zebras teamed up to teach the dogs a lesson and before they knew it, the rhinos also came around to help out. 

It was so much fun to watch them. Almost like a well choreographed dance but with a few bites and scrapes, nothing major. That's their exercise until the humans bring top tech machinery. 

I know they have plans for our savannah but i can't imagine what it could be. It's never any good for us, the true inhabitants. 

The jaguars are thirsty, so are the cheetahs. They shouldn't run so much. They're always running, just like little kids, they don't go anywhere slowly. Unless they're stalking a prey, they run and run and run. No wonder they are thirsty. 

But it's also true the water spots are fewer and farther in between. Worse, if there no rain for weeks on end, the danger of perishing under the hot sun gets much higher. 

There hasn't been any rain for the longest. Because of that, tempers flare. And lots of my brothers in the bush lose their patience at a much faster pace. 

The worst part is the sky seem to tease us non-stop. Clouds gather, get thicker and darker and we build up hope. Then, just like that, the sun comes out pounding again hotter than before. 

Savannah life is cruel. 


A hippo died the other day of high blood pressure, obesity and old age. Stunk the place for a month. A month! We were considering moving, but then the wind helped a bit. Then stopped and we considered moving again. The vultures helped as much as possible getting rid of the carcass but not fast enough. At least the hyenas took the fat quickly. We were beginning to think we would never breathe clean air again. 


The snakes don't want to know about being in that sun at all, so they disappear underground or up a tall tree. They always got some trick up their skins.

Since we live in the present, we are always looking to see what the present is offering. Humans do the opposite and don't live in the present. As a matter of fact they try to avoid the present at all costs. It's almost as if staying in it scares them. So, they make plans for the future that may or may not happen or they live stuck in the past that no longer serves anything. It's better to be in the now at all times.

Here in the bush, preparations don't exist, neither do anything that already happened. We don't know if we have memory, besides the most basic one; the one we need for survival. Of course, we need to recognize friend from foe for example.

That always works to our advantage. Especially if it turns out to be a friend.


Ugh! The elephants got wind of the tourists and here they come, begging, as usual, with their stupid trunks doing the same old tricks they've done since the Mammoths went extinct. 

But the humans fall for it. Everytime. 

What are you gonna do? Life is tough on the savannah. 

The smart monkeys devised a clever plan, so they never lack anything. They're always one step ahead of the rest of us. That's because they don't have the lazy gene. 

It's not our fault these genetic traits. 

But these apes really got it together. Since they've stopped their tribal wars, they're prospering day by day. 

Before we know it, they'll have a kiosk selling refreshments to anyone who can pay. And soon they'll accept cryptocurrency. 


Some are so slick they steal Rayban sunglasses from the Germans and trade them on the city market for grapes and watermelons. Incredible. 


Two groups are distinctively apart but still coming in my direction. They're Japanese and South Korean.


Double whammy! With plenty of goods. 

Funny how humans can't forgive and forget easily at all. 

We are the wild ones and the dangerous ones. We are the beasts that need to be tamed... If so, what are they? 

These two still carry the hatred of their past into the present and probably will carry it further into the future. They could help each other and collaborate making their countries better but nooooo... Why wait until tomorrow when you can hate today?


So they come in two different groups. Ready for selfies with the wild and the dangerous.


It's getting hotter. Mombuto should be here any minute with some very much needed African spring water. 

May God bless us all.

March 01, 2023 06:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.