The Unexpected Snow-day (S.O.D Tales Part One)

Submitted into Contest #77 in response to: Write a story set in the summer, when suddenly it starts to snow.... view prompt

19 comments

Friendship Contemporary

The School of Disaster. Founded April 6th, 2055. A place for Disaster children to live and learn. They were trained to control their abilities, and they were surrounded by a welcoming community. Every child at the school had one particular goal, to earn a “Life License”. It’s a certificate of sorts, officially stating a child has gained full control of their ability and is ready to start normal schooling. Until a life license is earned, however, the students are stuck on the campus. 

~~~~~~

“WHOOHOOOOO! Summer Vacation!” Riley called as we ran through the halls. Well...Riley and I ran. Raina was power-walking behind us, repeatedly shouting at us not to run in the hallways.

“Screw that logic, Raina! It’s summer, the rules don’t apply!” I laughed and kept running.

“Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean we need to act all crazy!” Raina sighed “If you’re gonna run, just do it in the courtyard?”

Riley stopped and turned around at Raina, “So we have your permission?” she asked slyly.

Raina sighed again, “Technically yes. But only outside. God, I’m not your mother for crying out loud”

I stopped in my tracks. Yikes. I looked over at Riley, who’s expression had now turned grim. Raina covered her mouth as she realized what she’d said. 

“Oh Riley I’m sorry, I shouldn’t mention parents. I really need to watch my mouth…”

“Nah it’s fine. It doesn’t bother me too much. And I wouldn’t want my parental issues to get in the way of our summer fun. C’mon Jaylin, I’ll race you to the dorm building!” Riley laughed weakly and motioned for me to follow her.

“Oh, you’re on!” I laughed and chased after her.

“WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT RUNNING IN THE HALLS!?” Raina cried after us.

~~~~~

“UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH! I’M BORED!” Riley groaned as she roamed the halls. We were around 2 weeks into summer vacation and Riley was already bored. I guess her sudden bursts of energy could only get her so far.

“It kinda sucks that some of us have to stay on campus while everyone else gets to go home and stuff. Even if they’re under strict surveillance at least they can leave this place for a bit. Y’know what I’m saying?” I add

Raina and Riley nodded. Riley unscrewed the cap of her favorite pink Hydroflask and took a long sip of water. 

“Plus, it’s so hot. What I wouldn’t do to have something to cool us down-”

Before Riley could finish her sentence, we heard some shouts come from the courtyard. A sudden chill filled the hallway.

“So we can all agree that’s not normal at all right? Especially in the summer.” I asked, shivering.

“Probably just someone’s ability going out of control” Riley shrugged as she untied her hoodie from her waist and put it on.

“If someone’s ability is messing up then I should go check it out. Miza and the others are probably on their way too” Raina started running outside as if she completely forgot about her rule of not running in the hallways. 

Riley and I exchanged a look as we started running after her. We sprinted through the halls passing several classrooms. As we got closer towards the double doors leading to the courtyard, it got colder and colder. Not only that, but we passed by more students who were spending their summer on the campus. Everyone was making their way towards the courtyard. 

“Raina wait up!” Riley called as she flawlessly maneuvered through the crowd to catch up with her. I, on the other hand, was being bumped and pushed around the ever-growing crowd of students. I pushed my way towards the front of the crowd and looked around for Rain and Riley. Surely enough, I found them both standing in the front along with Miza, James, and Kina.

“Y’know I’m pretty sure there’s a rule in the friendship manual that says you can’t leave your friends behind in a crowd. Especially a friend with social anxiety, OCD, or that doesn’t like being touched” I remarked, leaning over to catch my breath. 

“Oh don’t be so dramatic. You’re here now aren’t you?” Riley replied.

I crossed my arms around my chest. I loved Riley, but she was so energetic and dismissive it was a bit weird. She’d changed from when I first met her.

“Ok, we’re all here. Time to get a look at what’s going on” Raina rubbed her hands together and opened the double doors.

Immediately, we were greeted by a cold gust of wind and flurries flew into the hallway.

“Is that...snow?” Riley thought out loud.

“Yup, from what I heard someone named Kate has some kinda ice-themed ability. I’m pretty sure she was just trying to cool off and things got a bit...out of control” James remarked. I had forgotten he was there for a second, he had a knack for disappearing in plain sight. 

The entire courtyard was covered in a blanket of white. The rose bushes that decorated the perimeter were covered in frost and sparkling in the sunlight. It looked kind of pretty, even if it was completely unnatural.

“Well, I daresay this was fate, everyone. Remember how I was just complaining that it was too hot? Well, now we have a snow day! You don’t see that everyday now do you?” Riley proclaimed, zipping up her hoodie.

“Shouldn’t we try to stop this?” Mira asked softly.

“Nah, I say we enjoy the snow while we can!” Rina exclaimed.

“Now we’re talkin’! See, Rina gets it! Forget fun in the sun, fun in the snow is way better.” Riley was about to walk outside when Raina grabbed her hand.

“Maybe we should change first? I don’t think a hoodie is made for snowy weather,” she suggested.

“Plus I’m wearing a hoodie and I am freezing” I added.

“Fine, fine. How about we all rush to the dorms real quick and then meet back here so we can play in the snow. Assuming it’s not gone by the time we’re changed” Riley said.

We all nodded and made our way to our dorms, excited to enjoy our unexpected snow day.

                                              ~~~~~~~

“So...what do we do now?” I asked, putting on my earmuffs. 

“We play!” Riley grabbed my hand and dragged me farther out into the courtyard.

“Yea but uh, how exactly do we do that?” Raina asked, with James and Miza trailing behind her.

“Yeah, I’ve never really played with snow before” I explained.

“How about we do one of the most simple things in the book? A snowball fight!” Riley suggested.

“Snowball fight?” I asked, confused.

“How can you not know what a snowball fight is?!” Rina looked at me with a shocked expression on her face.

“Because it doesn’t snow in Hawaii?” I shrugged.

“Well, I’m gonna teach you!” Rina picked up a fistful of snow and molded it into a ball. She raised her arm and threw it into my face.

“Hey!” I exclaimed, rubbing snow from my face “What was that for!”

“That’s the point, Jay! You’re supposed to throw snowballs at each other!” Riley said, making a snowball herself. She raised her arm and threw it at Miza, who blinked slowly before quickly making a snowball and throwing it back at her.

Riley squealed and sprinted away from her.

“James c’mon! Help me get her!” Miza called.

“Sure!” James responded and ran after her.

Rina turned to me and handed me a snowball “Well? What are you waiting for?” 

I took the snowball and stared at it, before throwing it right into Raina’s face.

“The absolute betrayal!” Raina exclaimed while Rina and I laughed.

“Haha very funny” Raina sighed and made a snowball herself.

“Oh shi- Jaylin run!” Rina cried.

She didn’t have to tell me twice as we both took off running as Raina called behind us. Soon, we were having a full-on snowball war. Some more kids had entered the courtyard and everyone was hurling snowballs at each other. Yells and squeals filled the air and snowballs were thrown left and right.

I turned around looking for Riley when a snowball landed right on my face. I doubled back and looked around to find who threw the snowball. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted Shawn hiding behind a bush smirking. It took everything in me not to march over to him and yell. Instead, I just walked in the other direction.

“Jaylin! Heads up!” I snowball hit me in the back. I turned around and saw Riley giggling.

“Oh, I’ll get you!” I called and ran after her.

January 22, 2021 22:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

✰ Jennie ✰
23:22 Jan 22, 2021

Wow! This was so lightheartedly fun! You made it clear that these kids had powers and had been sent to a school without directly telling me it! I'm impressed!

Reply

Sunny 🌼
23:35 Jan 22, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya Sutrave
06:00 Jan 24, 2021

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, SARAH!! <3 (I'm so sorry for wishing late!!)

Reply

Sunny 🌼
13:50 Jan 24, 2021

Nah it's fine! Thanks so much!

Reply

Akshaya Sutrave
11:17 Jan 30, 2021

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
14:27 Jan 23, 2021

HAPPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BIRTHDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (I'm not too late, am I??) I LOVED THIS OMG I can tell this series will be a very fun read!!!!!!!! (Also I noticed that you used my name... if it wasn't accidental THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR INLCUDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Reply

Sunny 🌼
15:21 Jan 23, 2021

You're not too late! And thank you so much! (And yes I included you! Glad you noticed!)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:30 Jan 23, 2021

Yay!!! Nppppppp!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
01:24 Jan 23, 2021

🎉 HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SARAH!!! 🎉

Reply

Sunny 🌼
01:29 Jan 23, 2021

Thank youuu!

Reply

Maya -
01:32 Jan 23, 2021

:DDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE AMAZING SARAH

Reply

Sunny 🌼
00:52 Jan 23, 2021

AAAAAAAAAAAAH TYSM!

Reply

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD heres a cake 🎂🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🎂🎂🍰🎂🎂🎂🍰🍰🎂🎂🎂🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🎂🎂🎂🍰🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🍰🍰🍰🎂🍰🍰🍰🍰🎂🎂🍰🍰🎂🍰🎂🎂🎂🎂🍰🎂🍰🍰🎂🎂🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🍰🎂

Reply

Sunny 🌼
00:57 Jan 23, 2021

YAY CAKE!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Happy Belated b-day! Hope you ate lots of cake, and had lots of fun!🎊🎉🥰🤩🎂🎂🎂

Reply

Sunny 🌼
01:43 Jan 31, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Your welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.