The Haunted Travels of Captain Abdul

Submitted into Contest #67 in response to: Write about a pirate captain obsessed with finding a mythical treasure.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

 Chris Hinrichsen Reeds y Short Story Contest

jchinrichsen88a@gmail.com

jchinrichsen2507@gmail.com

The Haunted Travels of Captain Abdul

The crashing sea green waters of the Jorderian Oceans of the world of Jordero. A trireme

vessel with its pushing animal hide sails of some of the desert livestock of the desert lands of Calivard. A lone Calivard red skinned man with light sea armor and wearing a keffiyeh

over his dark hair and beard. Salim “Saze” Abdul peers his brown eyes though a spyglass to the surrounding oceans. With a crew of eighty-five oarsmen and women dressed in similar dress as their captain. The crew keeps up their morale with a small monkey-like man playing a lute modified with a drum singing along ancient mariner songs. A Centaur of man with a set of hide armor approaches Abdul, the centaur known as Dorian

serves with Abdul as his first officer. Though when he first joined him he had the typical

signs of sea-sickness and got nicknamed by the crew as Dorian the Dung master. “Saze, I have news for you about our search for the sacred trident of Oceanus.” replies Dorian to his captain.

“What has Serena, found for us ole friend?” Abdul joins Dorian on the starboard deck. Walking with a slight limp Abdul stands about 5'7 and wears a bandoleer of silver jambiyas

across his ABA robe.

“She claims she has had a totem vision of a possible location of the trident? If you believe her Sea Elementalist ways.”

“Let me see what the parchment says.” Dorian hands him a yellow parchment scroll. Abdul snags it out of his hands but calmly. Reviewing the parchment Abdul's dark eyes widen at the map with a series of islands in the northwestern oceans of Jordero. “Is this correct, old friend?”

“She could not pinpoint the island but it is a rough guess. Why is there a problem, Captain?”

“Yes... the northwest archipelagos has rough waters and weather. I do not believe we will have the necessary gear but it is a chance we must take.” Abdul looks up at his old friend showing a determined but wise look at the male centaur. “ Dorian, head for the closet port city known as Ever-win I believe there is a Winter Dwarf Clan who runs that port city. But be wary the northern dwarves are crafty and thrifty.”

“We may be able to find a guide but dealing with the merchant guild will not be easy. Have we any news from our couriers of that Efreeti warlord on our arse?” Abdul rolls up the parchment looking back at his first officer.

“I will have to check with Serena, your sister is in contact with our courier spirits. But I will

warn her that Em-rick may have the same news as us from his dark spirit wards.”

“Good, do that and have a meal ready for the bosses of the crew. We need to plan accordingly.” Abdul places his hand against his friend.

The monkey-like man yells back to Abdul and Dorian “CAPTAIN...The Crow's Nest yelled down about a floating vessel about three miles from port.” Abdul reaches for his spyglass and peers in that direction.

Running to the front of the vessel Abdul pans the open waters and spots dark clouds and a small raft three miles from the port side. “ Allah, help us we got a storm rising and a lost boat. Dorian get a safety team ready, it looks like we will have a guest for dinner tonight.”

“AY! Captain...Beryl get a boat ready ready and bring with us that healer friend of yours.”

Dorian looks in the direction of the small monkey-like man with a purple Fez hat on his head. “I'm on it Dorian”

Several moments later, Dorian is joined by Beryl and a bird-like man with a dark robe. The bird-man is known as Icah. A former slave woman of a dark priest, Icah was rescued by Abdul and his crew while getting Serena away from a human sacrifice of the dark priest wards who have considerable influence of the Efreeti warlord known as Ab-ant who has been hunting down Abdul and his crew for several years now due to the captain's rescue of his sister and members of their crew.

Paddling quickly with the rowboat, Dorian pans the surrounding waters with the borrowed spyglass of Abdul. “There turn starboard Beryl and Icah are target is there.” The dark clouds start to rise up the trade-winds of the ocean. A boom is heard in the far distance of the dark clouds. “Quicker , Beryl, we need to get back aboard before that damn weather ruins our day.”

“I am working as fast as I can Dorian but my arms are not that long like the humans aboard ship.” Complains Beryl to the Centaur first officer. Icah reaches for a modified harpoon- lasso to aid in the rescue. “ I have rope ready Dorian” comments the simple voice bird-woman.

Struggling with the rising seas, Dorian and his crew approach a raft with a woman lying unconscious on the raft. The woman appears to be a Sea Elf with long pale blonde hair covering the elf-like ears of the woman. Dressed in a slave girl outfit, the Sea Elf pale blue skinned hand drags in the water. As the waves start to get harder, Dorian works his way over to Ichuk reaching for the modified rescue weapon. “Hang in Lass, We are here to help you.. Ichuk give me the rope.”

Grabbing the rescue tool Dorian uses it like a professional from the years aboard the rocky and choppy seas. The rescue tool snags onto the bare-footed feet of the unconscious woman

and Dorian with the help of Ichuk pull her aboard the vessel as the waters start to shake around them.

The two soon work together and pull the Sea Elf towards their vessel as the choppy waters pick up around the small lifeboat. Working like rescue divers in modern day rescues Dorian

and Icah pull the woman closer. Icah reaches for her medicine bag and prepares to begin

healing procedures on the unconscious woman.

“She is very dehydrated, I must get her back to the boat. If not she die.” Comments Icah as she performs healing skills on the woman. Trying to bring back her color. Dorian shakes his

head and looks to Beryl “I think it is time for your special water. Beryl”

“Oh Dorian, you know me.” Beryl reaches for a small vial and chugs down the monkey-like

man. The thin arms of Beryl begin to increase in mass and his speed increases as the magical potion runs thru his blood system. Beryl keeps up with Dorian and his paddling of oars. The rescue lifeboat moves quickly as it heads back to trireme. The choppy and rising waves push harder as the two creatures try to get ahead of the rising waters.

Several days later. After traveling for close to a week the trireme arrives in the Snide Bay and move closer to the waiting dock of Ever-win, a number of other boats from galleys to triremes are placed in designated docks by the Inunk people. Abdul walks topside in the direction to the Sea Elf female now known as Kristina High-sea. Now wearing a dark fur padded robe her flowing pale blonde hair blows from the blustery winds of the Northern Seas.

“It is good to see you Lady High-sea, how are you doing? Questions Abdul as he tightens his fur padded ABA robe. “No need to be so formal captain but I thank your crew for saving me.” Comments the Sea Elf.

“You are free to leave us here in Ever-win or stay with my crew of misfits but be aware we are more like pirates than typical merchants.” Abdul explains as he reaches for a reed-thorn stick from his robe.

“Perhaps, I will stay for awhile since I have no idea where my people are now after our recent fight and my slave capture with the Sea Devils.” Smiles respectively to Abdul who now smokes his reed-thorn stick. “So I have been told for now I need to speak with Inunk people and get some needed supplies for our icy journey ahead of us. Please make yourself at home while I speak with the Inunk people.”

“Perhaps, I can join you perhaps my elf clan has some influence here in the northern seas.?”

“Any help will be accepted my lady.”

The two join Dorian and Beryl who also wear fur padded robes as a pair of Inunk dwarves join the party at the end of the pier. The Inunk dwarves have pale blue eyes and have an arctic white human dwarf appearance with pale brown beards. The male dwarf takes the lead followed by a female dwarf who has her pale brown hair ted in a ponytail. In the distance a group of young dwarves play in the snow half-naked in appearance. The greeters wear polar bear hide armor on them. “Greetings welcome to Ever-win, I am Harbor Constable Kincaid and this is my sister Chief Merchant Boss Anataya. How can we help you weary travels you do not appear from the large keep of Stone-gad in the south of here?”

“Greetings Harbor Constable and my lady, I am Salim Abdul and my crew wishes to purchase some supplies from your people. First Officer Dorian can you bring up our treasure chest.”

“Yes Captain.”

“ I have heard of you Captain and we wish to have no trouble with the debts you owe in Stone-gad” Comments roughly Anataya who stares hard with her pale blue eyes at Abdul and his crew.

Kristina steps forward and approaches the dwarves. “ I understand your concern Lady Anataya but the High-sea clan is in debt with the captain for saving my life, I have joined the crew of

swashbucklers in hope for my safe return to the High Seas Council. So please try and work with him and his crew of debtors. I am sure the Inunk God of Seas will understand the reasoning behind this swashbuckler and his crew.”

Massaging her pale jaws, Lady Anataya takers her brother aside to speak with him about the visit of Abdul and his crew. Speaking in the Inunk dialect the two come to a conclusion. Anataya turns back and looks at Abdul and his crew. “ I have reached a decision with my brother and we will supply your crew Captain but be weary your reputation is skeptical along the coastal port cities. I only do this because I fear the Inunk village of Ever-win is the only trading port in the Northern Seas and I am sure the Jarl of the Ice Giant clan will not agree of a Viceroy of the High seas Council not in a good way. Your crew has three days after that the harbor patrol will escort you out of Ever-win.”

“Thank you Lady Anataya, three days is all we need for our travels. However there is something more we would like to compensate for your service. If you agree of course?”

Lady Anataya and her brother raise an eyebrow at his words.

Three days later. Abdul and his team skim across the icy desert seas of the north in modified ice-striders. The pale white-gray ice-striders are a modified kayak with an outrigger sled that can travel up to forty five miles per hour on the barren icy deserts of Northern Jordero. Abdul takes the lead with an Inunk pilot leaving behind his close friend Dorian since his centaur weight was too much for the ice-striders. Abdul now wearing a polar bear fur hide parka is joined by Beryl, Kristiana, Sarina, Inchuk and a half-giant barbarian guide known by the Inunk people as Vorath Rock-climb.

“How far until we reach our destination Vorath?” comments Abdul to Vorath while traveling the barren ice sea.

“We be 10 miles from your destination but be warned that is Grok country? Comments the dark skinned half-giant.

Beryl overhears the conversation and asks his pilot. “What is a Grok, Pilot? The Inunk dwarf looks at the monkey-like man with a confused look in his pale eyes. “The Grok is bad part bear and tentacled beast, very dangerous.”

“It this just gets better and better each day, you sure you want to do this captain?”

“We are in an arm's length Beryl stick it out my rogue bard.” Smirks Abdul as he stares over at the monkey-like man. “What have I got myself into?” comments Beryl as he picks up his lute.

One hour later. The ice-striders slide to a stop outside a large glacier which stands before the heroes. “That is Mount White-brie, Captain. Prepare yourselves for s tricky climb. I will join you but the Inunk pilots fear this place.” Vorath Rock-climb hurdles out of the ice-strider and swings his double bladed ax. He is soon joined by Abdul and the others.

Abdul follows Vorath into the cave drawing his silver bladed scimitar. Beryl takes up the rear drawing his pair of hand crossbows while Kristina and the others take the center and are flanked by the men in the party. Serena presses her staff to the ground and a mystical blue flame appears at its base. Serena appears much like her brother but has long black hair knotted in dreadlocks. Vorath speaks to the group “Arm yourselves we are about to enter the icy Hades of this wasteland. If there is a priest among you say a prayer to your God to make it out of here alive.”

The heroes travel thru the icy halls and here the loud cries of a polar bear but not your typical roar more of a screeching growl as it echoes thru the ice hallways. Vorath raises his hand to keep the party quiet as they go deeper into the Groks' den.

The heroes enter a large ice chamber with a pair of horrid looking polar bears with the snouts of an octopus in place of its snout ed nose. “Those are Groks a mad ice mage merged the blood of polar bears with an alien creature years ago. That mage still haunts these lands. Be careful my allies” comments Vorath Rock-climb. The heroes move closer hiding behind a snowbank. .

In the distance a trident head is encased into a wall of ice. A distinct aura can be felt with its presence. Abdul widens his dark eyes at the image before him. Abdul starts to rise from his position before he is held down by Vorath. The Groks patrol back and forth before the artifact. “If that is what you seek, captain. Be warned it has a terrible price many hunters have attempted to take it but sadly their lives are lost to the Groks Are you sure you want to go through with it?

Abdul looks back at the large half-giant and a determined look is seen in his dark eyes. “I have searched for it for a long time. The Mariner Trident is the Holy Avenger for mariners like myself. YES! I Want To Get It.” Vorath looks hard at the swashbuckler. “Than It Is Your Doom, Captain.” On those words, Vorath turns his back on the Swashbuckler before he leaves.

“I hope your friends are wise because this is my exit. Good Journeys.” He walks away cautiously from the doomed man.

“Captain, maybe the Barbarian is right. I do not want to end up on the platter of one of those beasts” Cautiously speaks Beryl. “ If you want to leave than be it. For me that Trident is my ticket to escape my debts.” Abdul starts to rise from his position.

Ichuk, Serena and Kristiana look on as Beryl shuffles a deck of cards before him. The Sea Elf Viceroy looks at the troubled man. “Captain, though I have known you for a short time. I believe that Trident is cursed. My people have a saying if Oceanus wishes for her sailors not to retrieve a cursed item. Than it is best to let the oceans keep it. I must agree with the half-giant and the monkey man and leave this place.”

Serena looks at her brother with a pleading look. “ Maybe they are right Saze, this place stinks of frigid evil. You have seen it and now know its place. Keep this place secret Saze, we have already loss our family. Come home with me.” Saze starts to show a greedy look in his dark eyes and stares at his friends. “Do you have any words, Ichuk to change my mind?”

The bird-folk looks at the others and sighs “ Ichuk, not interfere but Serena; Right this place is frigid and evil a cold place to die. Me rather die in warm tropical islands. Your choice but I join others. Good journeys Captain.”

The others turn away from Abdul as he prepares to fight the Groks But his eyes wander as a bright light enters his dark eyes and he hears a voice in his head. “ Salim Abdul, I, Oceanus; Chose you for your honor, but now you must choose. To Live or Die it is in your hands only. The choice is yours Salim Abdul.”

The End?

.

.      

November 09, 2020 02:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.