Tusks and Daggers Part Sixty-One: The Eclipse of A New Era!

Written in response to: Set your story during a total eclipse — either natural, or man-made.... view prompt

2 comments

Adventure Fantasy Fiction

Lottie:

News of a solar eclipse had me rushing around my castle, Darwin bouncing at my heels. Lust had sent the army of the underworld to protect the cities the moment the solar eclipse destroys the protection spells. Guiding him to the door with our other boys, his protest fell on deaf ears as I shoved him into Viktor’s arms. Kissing the top of his head, silent tears stained his cheeks. Crouching down to his level, his body smashed into mine. Burying his head into my shoulder, his tears dripped off of my silver armor. The poor darling had to know that my love rested with him, his happiness being the primary reason for winning the battle.

“Darwin, I love you with all of my heart. The one thing I could never forgive is you dying in the battle. Be safe.” I urged lovingly, his wet eyes gazing up at me. Summoning a glass rose, I pressed it into his palm. Pulling him close to me, his features brightened at my words. 

“A darkness will taint that glass if I am near my death. If you must rescue me, only go then.” I whispered sweetly, his head nodding. “For now, protect your brothers for me. I am counting on you.” Stepping through voluntarily, Luna joined his side. Staring up at the sky, a shadowy darkness ate the forest in the distance. Locking the door behind me, the snarls in the distance had a quiet fear lingering in my eyes. The armor was new, a gift from Somy. Tracing the roses carved into the metal, a flowing skirt of chain mail danced around my ankles. Lust wandered in with a big grin, about a hundred underworld soldiers standing strong behind her. The demon lords took her side, all of them raring to go. Donning their jet black armor, a sad smile crept onto my lips. The others shoved their way to the front, the sets of twins taking the spot to the left of the demons. Avy and Soma took my left with Boran. Merlin and his girl found their way to the front, a plan forming in my mind. Twisting my hair into a side bun, our battle was minutes from beginning. Moving Merlin next to the twins, I moved Somy’s brothers over to him. 

“Lust, your army will take care of the pests. Merlin and the girls, you will be the healing team. Anyone else remaining will cover my ass.” I spoke strictly, everyone watching me pace around. “Off with the underworld army, the extermination begins with you. Marching out, the healing team stepped out to find their way to the one tower that would be protected in the magic black out. Plucking our weapons from our cases, my footfalls echoed to the throne room. He would meet me here, the others taking a stand in the hallway. Boran plopped down into his throne, his armor glistening in the flames from the torches. Staring out the window, the sun seemed to shine a bit brighter. A shadow ball began to block the sun, chaos erupting in the woods. The battle had begun, its outcome laying on Boran. Magic flowed from the tower at a steady speed, windows smashing in as the eclipse overtook the sun. Torches flickered to life, the silver flames bathing the throne room in shadows. Cauchemar marched in, the doors slamming shut behind him. If we kill him, his soldiers fall under Boran’s control. His robes danced in his own wind, the throne groaning as I rose to my feet. Silver vines curled around my legs, Boran rising behind me. Noting his bleeding nose, it had been difficult to get in here. Even darkness has its weaknesses, doesn't it?

“I see you arrived.” I mused with a sly grin, his Cheshire Cat grin growing wider. “Way to be predictable.” Cocking his head, wicked laughter rumbled in throat, ice spreading from underneath his feet. Both of us were at wits end, neither of us wanting to see each other’s face anymore. 

“How could I not! This was an opportunity one shouldn’t pass up!” He returned casually, raising his scythe. “Shall we play?” At that moment, it almost felt as if we could be friends. Minus his evilness, of course. Charging at each other, a stomp of his worn boots had ice spikes shooting from the floor. Dodging them with record speed, Boran smashed a few out of the way. Sparks danced in the air with every violent clash, a swift kick knocking me onto one of his ice spikes. Blood clogged up my throat, my hands falling on the fatal stomach wound. Boran cried out, my vision blurring. Lightning crackled along his armor, true terror rounding Cachemar’s eyes. Dropping my scythe, the metal clanged against the ice spikes. Gripping the spike, silver vines curled around it. Constricting until it snapped, another scream burst from my lips as my leg landed on another spike. Luckily, it was small. Lifting my leg off of it, warm blood flooded my armor. Not now! Victory had to be achieved. Scooping up my scythe, a coughing fit had blood painting everything. Gritting my teeth, the pain would subside with my death. Limping around the spikes, Boran and Cauchemar were nothing but balls of lightning and ice. Boran flew over my head, a wall of vines preventing him from getting impaled like me. Continuing closer to him, I crouched down to flood the space. Pressing my palm on the floor, a silver wave of water crashed into the room. Silver vines with silver roses suffocated the ice spikes until they shattered, more blood pouring from the corner of my lips. Wiping the corner of my mouth, panic twisted my features at the blood flowing faster. Everything doubled, his ice threatening to take over my water. Hitting it with my dragon flames, the ice melted instantly.  Roars echoed in the distance, flames and elements lighting up the sky. Tears of joy cascaded from my eyes at the dragons fighting the bat creatures that showed up, Mina waving to me with her new friend on her back. Resting against the wall, Boran rushed over to me. Clutching me close to his chest, his tears soaked the top of my head. His words faded in and out, his muscles quivering. Hitting us with a paralyzing spell, the water stopped flowing in. Shivering in our spot, fear had us shaking in our boots. Water splashed behind him, a shadow darting behind him. Darwin leapt up in the air behind him, his scythe cutting into Cauchemar’s neck. His head bobbed next to me, a new problem presenting itself. The spell faded, the army in the words ending their battle cries. Draining the water from the room, Cauchemar collapsed into a heap. His hand twitched, Darwin digging his heels into his back as he struck him over and over again. Violent sobs wracked my body, my muscles too weak to stop him from absorbing the darkness of the land. Crying out as our enemy's body decayed, Darwin twitched creepily in front of me. Struggling to my feet, I had to fix the situation. Limping over to him, the color drained from my face at an inky blackness taking over his eyes. Come back! Bring my sweet boy back to me! Stabbing me through my chest, silent tears stained my cheeks. Burying him into a desperate embrace, his scythe slid through me several times. 

“Darwin, do you remember when we rode on a dragon together?” I begged between wheezes, my life force draining from me. “I don’t have long. Let me grant you these final words. I love you, Darwin. My pride knows no bounds when it comes from you. Wake up! W-” Collapsing into his arms, his eyes returned to normal. Watching his guardian absorb the darkness, it blended seamlessly with his true powers. Cursing under his breath, he buried my head into his shoulders. His apologies faded in and out as a darkness swallowed me whole. 

Stirring awake, a pool of silver water surrounded me. My old friend waited for me, his scales shimmering in the early morning light. Smiling sadly to myself, there was no going back. His claw tapped the top of my head, his own tears glistened on his scales. 

“You did what you had to do.” He assured me in his thunderous voice, his wings pulling me closer to him. “If I am stuck with anyone in the afterlife, there is nobody better than you.” Cuddling into the crook of his arm, my fingers dug into his scales. Broken weeps rattled my body, my heart aching for my family and friends. Fighting the urge to scream, his snout rested on the top of my head. Crying myself to sleep, a tap on the top head woke me up seconds later. A glass rose floated over to us, my trembling palms scooping it up. Wonder stole my tears, a show waking the flames of hope. Lights danced along each petal, both of us getting blinded by a light.  

Sucking in a deep breath, Darwin and the others were towering over me with tears welling up in their eyes. Tears of joy streamed down my cheeks, more tears splashing onto my face. Feeling my body for the wounds, clean gauze covered my body. Darwin helped me sit up, the morning light had me squinting. A group hug threatened to bring me back into the realm of the dead, an empty vial hitting the floor. Peeling everyone off of me, Boran ordered everyone out but Darwin. Shuffling out with growls, Boran clutched me close to his chest. Waiting for him to chastise me, no such tone met my ears. 

“Thank god you made it.” He blubbered into the top of my head, his lips kissing the top of my head feverishly. “Darwin whipped up the potion that brought you back to life.” Releasing me from his embrace, Darwin protested the moment I pulled him onto my lap. Burying him in a bear hug, his energy simply seemed stronger. Spots of black speckled his wet eyes, his apologies flowing nonstop. Lifting up his chin with my finger, my lips grazed his forehead.  

“How are you doing?” I inquired with my natural smile, his head shaking in protest. “Pride glistens in my heart for you. You did a great job! Who saved me? You did! I love you with all of my heart!” Slapping my hand away, hurt dimmed my eyes. Sprinting out of the room, my calls for him to stop fell on deaf ears. Tugging on the clean emerald dress near me, protests fell on deaf ears as I chased after Darwin. Watching him leap out a window, cool air lashed at my cheeks when I did the same thing. Landing roughly in the repaired garden, Darwin leapt over the wall. Pounding after him, my muscles burned as I pushed off the wall to block his path. Smashing into my legs, his fists pounded against my legs. Taking the hit after hit, I crouched down to his level. Clutching him close to my chest, his fists dropped limply to his sides. Let me shine brightly upon your broken heart, damn it!

“What have I told you? Mistakes will be made but you know what got me through all the bad stuff. Your smile made it all worth it. Your laugh made it all worth it.” I gushed honestly, my hands cupping his face. “I am not mad. I could never be mad at you. If you lose control, I will shut it down for you. I vow with my heart that you won't be hurt again from that curse.” Grinning brokenly, his arms draped around my neck. Thanking the powers that be, his lips pecked my cheeks. Rising to my feet, I placed him onto my shoulders. Taking our time getting back, his mouth sprouted several stories. Drinking them in, his features illuminated with every bit of laughter between us. Climbing the wall, Boran greeted us at the bottom with the rest of my family. 

“Somy is planning a ball to celebrate our success.” He exclaimed lovely, his free hand cupping my face. “We have a dress since you have been out for a couple of days. The dragons wanted to see you.” Both of us shivered with excitement, Darwin flipping off of my shoulders. Sprinting towards the sea of scales, this place felt like Heaven. Perhaps, such rewards could be reaped.

Floating through the next couple of days, there wasn’t a moment I wasn’t alone. Basking in the company, my hands fussed with my shimmering silver ball gown. Boran stepped up next to me in a matching silver suit, the boys all matching us in their adorable suits. Somy waved us in, everyone in the kingdom cheered at the sight of me. Placing Darwin in front of me, he shifted uncomfortably. 

“Prince Darwin is the real hero. Cheer for him please. Blushing a bright crimson, Luna stole him away at the most opportune moment. My team gathered in front of me in their finest suits and gowns, all of them bowing in my direction. Begging for them not to bow, my natural smile had everyone gasping in wonder. Pinning my ears back, my tail tucked in between my legs. Too much attention, too much attention! Fiddling with my lacy bell sleeves, Somy spun up next to me. Clapping his hands, gentle music swelled to life. A throat cleared, Viktor found his way to me with Mina, both of them donning golden robes. Bowing in their direction, they bowed back. Mina asked to dance with my boys, Viktor offering me his hand. Accepting it with a cute yes, he guided me to the center of the great hall. Placing his hand on my hip, my hand landed on his shoulder. Twirling around the dance floor with him, fresh tears threatened my makeup. Stop crying, you damn fool!

“Look at how much you have grown, Lottie.” He commented with tears in his eyes, his hand spinning me around. “Let’s steal away to a special place. I have a surprise for you.” Following him to the door, Darwin’s gift glowed as we crossed into my home. A blanket with his sandwiches waited for me, his throat clearing as he passed me a piece. Unable to keep my composure, wild sobs wracked my body. Pouring me a glass of his juice, the words wouldn’t leave my lips. The door opened again, my friends joining us. Sitting like we used to when we were camping, Viktor welcomed them all. Wiping away my tears, Mina set down Mishal. Toddling over to Viktor, pure joy illuminated his features as he made funny faces. Darwin squeezed in next to me, pleasant conversations breaking out. Too lost in the warmth, this was what I had always wanted. A small cottage caught my eyes, the house resting on the edge of where I could go. Viktor and Boran nodded once, Boran taking my hand. 

“We built this together for when you woke up. That way you can always come home if you want to.” He promised with a crooked grin, my sandwich hitting the blanket. Popping to my feet, I kicked off my boots. Feeling the grass tickling the soles of my feet, more tears splashed against the grass. Opening the door, pictures of my childhood lined the wall, a few beds rested the wall. Tracing my name on my bed, my other hand cupped my mouth. Sinking to my knees, the blankets smelled of what I had missed. How long has it been since I came back home in this manner? No, this wasn’t home. This was but a fond memory, everyone’s eyes falling on me the moment I ripped open the door. 

“This place isn’t my home!” I shouted through a wall of tears, my fingers grasping at my skirt. “My home is with my friends and family! This is lovely but it made me realize that I was home all this time. I don’t ever want to let it go!” Pride glistened in Viktor’s eyes, his lesson having been realized. Trembling in my spot, a mess would be the only way to describe me. One by one they got up, all of them circling me. Burying me into another group hug, this warmth was home. Sinking into the moment, a quiet smile lingered on my lips. Hoping it would never end, the loneliness and depression faded to dull throb. Home, I was home.

April 12, 2024 01:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Unknown User
11:35 Apr 16, 2024

<removed by user>

Reply

Yvette Francaise
13:38 Apr 19, 2024

Thank you so much. I love fantasy novels!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.