245 comments

Speculative

There was a world where light didnโ€™t exist; where everything was dark, so the only way you could see anything was by the highlights on the objects. Many people wondered about the existence of the highlights because how could there be highlights if thereโ€™s no light at all?


One of our characterโ€™s names was Cara: a modest name for a modest girl.


School was decent for Cara: it wasnโ€™t super fun, as the dictators made sure of that, but her favourite subject was History because she got to learn about things that seemed unreal. She was a quiet, coy little girl who didnโ€™t have any friends or siblings, so she looked lonely often, but she was actually fine.


She learned about how life was before they took over, before life was dark. There used to be something called colours, something that adorned everything beautifully. Colours fascinated Cara the most because life in darkness was quite boring and uneventful, so she thought colours wouldโ€™ve been so much fun to experience.


โ€œAll students report to your classrooms immediately!โ€ shouted the principal over the intercom. Cara ran through the door 2D and jumped in her desk just as the teacher called her for attendance.


โ€œCara?โ€ her teacher asked.


โ€œHere,โ€ she responded, unpacking her things.ย 


Next to her sat a boy named Atticus, who regarded school as a trash picker regards trash; he didnโ€™t hate it, but he didnโ€™t love it either. Atticus was quite popular, because of his looks and personality, but it was mostly fake.


Atticus was rarely by himself in school, always swarmed by people, but he felt lonely because no one was there for him when he needed them to be. They were just another set of mannequins.


Cara was getting out her books on her desk, slabs of black substance, when she brought out something different. It was still a book, but not like the other ones. This one wasnโ€™t black, or even white. It had something else, something that Atticus and Cara had only heard about in history books.


This book had colour.


Cara had no idea how she got this book, but she and Atticus shared a look right before she stuffed it back into her bag, hoping nobody else saw. Anything with colour was forbidden completely, and since they had never seen it before, everyone had thought it was a joke, but at that moment they knew that they were completely wrong.


Cara went through the day of school without glancing again at the unusual book, but right as the bell ended the day, Atticus ran up to her and said, โ€œFollow me.โ€


Cara was much too stunned about the book, it's colour and Atticus, so she just obeyed. They walked outside to the courtyard where plants were growing, threads of dusk climbing up the sky. They walked to the back, where no one could see them, and then Atticus turned around and looked Cara so straight in the eye that she fell down.


โ€œSorry,โ€ he said shyly, helping her up. Cara looked at him like he was a coloured book, but they had already both seen that, so the metaphor has worn off.


โ€œWhere did you get that book?โ€ he asked curiously. Cara just glared at him.


โ€œIโ€™m not gonna tell anyone.โ€ Caraโ€™s glare relaxed a bit.


โ€œPlease?โ€ย 


Caraโ€™s glare slid off her face and said, โ€œFine, but if you tell someone-โ€


Atticus nodded quickly while she got out the book. It was, well, colourful. In our eyes, it would be a smooth brown leather with a silver buckle tying it together, and in thereโ€™s it was just the same, but they couldnโ€™t describe it. It looked...mythical.


๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐™พ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š› ๐š†๐š˜๐š›๐š•๐š


๐š†๐šŠ๐š›๐š—๐š’๐š—๐š: ๐™ณ๐š˜ ๐š—๐š˜๐š ๐š˜๐š™๐šŽ๐š— ๐šž๐š—๐š•๐šŽ๐šœ๐šœ ๐š๐š’๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š— ๐š๐š˜ ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š๐š‘๐š’๐šœ ๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š›๐šข ๐š๐šŠ๐šข; ๐š˜๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š›๐š ๐š’๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š’๐š ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š‹๐š•๐š˜๐š  ๐šž๐š™. ๐™พ๐š—๐šŒ๐šŽ ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š‹๐šŽ๐š๐š’๐š— ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š—๐š˜๐š ๐š‹๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š‹๐š•๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š‹๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š”. ๐™พ๐š™๐šŽ๐š— ๐šŠ๐š ๐šข๐š˜๐šž๐š› ๐š˜๐š ๐š— ๐š›๐š’๐šœ๐š”.


โ€œI donโ€™t know how it got there,โ€ Cara said, feeling the smooth cover, โ€œit was just there when I opened my backpack.โ€


Atticus gently took the book and flipped it over and over, searching for anything unusual, when something fell out. Cara scrambled to find the little note on the ground, and after checking no one else was there, they leaned on the fence and read it.


๐™ธ๐š ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐šŠ๐š›๐šŽ ๐š›๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š๐š‘๐š’๐šœ, ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š‘๐šŠ๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š๐šŠ๐š”๐šŽ๐š— ๐š˜๐š— ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐šŒ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š•๐š•๐šŽ๐š—๐š๐šŽ.ย 

๐šƒ๐š˜ ๐š๐š›๐šŽ๐šŽ ๐šข๐š˜๐šž๐š›๐šœ๐šŽ๐š•๐šŸ๐šŽ๐šœ, ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š‘๐šŠ๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š–๐šŠ๐š”๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐š›๐šŽ๐šŽ ๐š”๐šŽ๐šข๐šœ; ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐š‹๐š•๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š” ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ, ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐š๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐š›๐šŠ๐š’๐š—๐š‹๐š˜๐š . ๐šˆ๐š˜๐šž ๐š๐š˜ ๐š—๐š˜๐š ๐š”๐š—๐š˜๐š  ๐š ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š ๐š›๐šŠ๐š’๐š—๐š‹๐š˜๐š  ๐š–๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š—๐šœ ๐š“๐šž๐šœ๐š ๐šข๐šŽ๐š, ๐š‹๐šž๐š ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š•๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š›๐š— ๐šœ๐š˜๐š˜๐š— ๐šŽ๐š—๐š˜๐šž๐š๐š‘.

๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š‹๐š•๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š” ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐š๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐š‘๐šŠ๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š•๐š›๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š๐šข ๐š‹๐šŽ๐šŽ๐š— ๐šŒ๐š›๐šŠ๐š๐š๐šŽ๐š ๐š๐š˜๐š› ๐šข๐š˜๐šž; ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š‹๐š•๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š” ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐š’๐šœ ๐š–๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š ๐š‹๐š•๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š” ๐šœ๐šš๐šž๐š’๐š ๐š’๐š—๐š”, ๐š‹๐š•๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š” ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š ๐š๐šž๐š› ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š๐šŠ๐š›๐š”๐š—๐šŽ๐šœ๐šœ, ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐š๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐š’๐šœ ๐š–๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š ๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐š๐šŽ ๐šœ๐šš๐šž๐š’๐š ๐š’๐š—๐š”, ๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐š๐šŽ ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š ๐š๐šž๐š› ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š•๐š’๐š๐š‘๐š. ๐šˆ๐š˜๐šž ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š‘๐šŠ๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐šŒ๐š›๐šŠ๐š๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š›๐šŠ๐š’๐š—๐š‹๐š˜๐š  ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ, ๐š ๐š‘๐š’๐šŒ๐š‘ ๐š›๐šŽ๐šš๐šž๐š’๐š›๐šŽ๐šœ, ๐š™๐šž๐š›๐šŽ ๐šœ๐š™๐š›๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š ๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ๐š›, ๐šŒ๐š›๐šž๐šœ๐š‘๐šŽ๐š ๐šž๐š™ ๐š’๐š›๐š’๐š๐šŽ๐šœ๐šŒ๐šŽ๐š—๐š ๐š›๐šŠ๐š’๐š—๐š‹๐š˜๐š  ๐š•๐š’๐š๐šŽ ๐š๐š’๐šœ๐š‘ ๐šœ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š•๐šŽ๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š๐š›๐šŽ๐šข ๐š–๐šŠ๐š๐š๐šŽ๐š›. ๐™ถ๐š›๐šŽ๐šข ๐š–๐šŠ๐š๐š๐šŽ๐š› ๐š’๐šœ ๐š•๐š’๐š๐š‘๐š ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š๐šŠ๐š›๐š”๐š—๐šŽ๐šœ๐šœ ๐š–๐š’๐šก๐šŽ๐š, ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐š’๐šœ๐š‘ ๐šœ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š•๐šŽ๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š›๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜๐šž๐š—๐š ๐š’๐š— ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐™ท๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š'๐šœ ๐š๐šŠ๐š›๐š๐šŽ๐š—. ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐šœ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐š•๐šŽ๐šœ ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š‘๐šŠ๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š—๐š˜๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š› ๐š—๐š˜๐š๐šŽ ๐š ๐šŠ๐š’๐š๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š๐š˜๐š› ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š›๐šŽ. ๐™พ๐šž๐š› ๐š‹๐šŽ๐šœ๐š ๐š ๐š’๐šœ๐š‘๐šŽ๐šœ, ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š๐š˜๐š˜๐š ๐š•๐šž๐šŒ๐š”.


Atticus and Cara looked at each other.


โ€œWhat does it mean โ€˜the challengeโ€™?โ€ Atticus asked, confused.


A smile slowly grew on Caraโ€™s face. โ€œIt means this is the key to freeing ourselves! From this horrible dark world! To a place with colour!โ€


Atticus looked even more confused. โ€œWhat?โ€


โ€œDid you read the note? It says-โ€


โ€œYes, I did, but this canโ€™t be true! Colour canโ€™t be real.โ€


โ€œDid you see the book? Itโ€™s colourful! Colour is real, and if you donโ€™t think so, you can drop this. If you believe me, meet me tomorrow at the park. The one with the waterfall,โ€ Cara shouted and strutted off to her house with the book under her arm. It was Atticusโ€™s turn to look stunned; by Cara or colour or the book, he didnโ€™t know but stunned he was nonetheless.


.>.<.>.<.


โ€œSo you believe me after all,โ€ said Cara running towards Atticus, who was sitting on a bench in front of the waterfall.


โ€œI did the whole time,โ€ said Atticus.


โ€œSure. Anyway, how pure does this spring water have to be?โ€ Cara asked, looking at the waterfall. It was pitch-black, like everything else, but she hoped it was already pure so they didnโ€™t have to waste time finding it. The fish scales would take a while to get, since it was in the Headโ€™s garden. The Head was the ruler of the kingdom; Cara and Atticus didnโ€™t even know he had a garden until they read the note. Thatโ€™s how much information about the Head is known. It would be a struggle to find even where the Head lives, never mind the garden, because it could be on the other side of the city for all they knew.


โ€œHow am I supposed to know?โ€ said Atticus. Cara ignored him and looked at the waterfall. No chunks were falling in it, because the bright highlights were smooth, but water could be very tainted and have no chunks, so that information wasnโ€™t helpful.


While Cara examined the waterfall by sight, Atticus looked at it with his hands. He felt the smooth bottom until he was blocked. Picking up a rock, underneath there was a plastic film with words on it, so he called Cara over to read it.ย 


๐™ฒ๐š˜๐š—๐š๐š›๐šŠ๐š๐šž๐š•๐šŠ๐š๐š’๐š˜๐š—๐šœ, ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š‘๐šŠ๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜๐šž๐š—๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐š’๐š›๐šœ๐š ๐š’๐š—๐š๐š›๐šŽ๐š๐š’๐šŽ๐š—๐š. ๐™ณ๐š˜ ๐š—๐š˜๐š ๐šŠ๐šœ๐šœ๐šž๐š–๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐š’๐šœ ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š‹๐šŽ ๐šŽ๐šŠ๐šœ๐šข; ๐š๐š‘๐š’๐šœ ๐š’๐šœ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐šŽ๐šŠ๐šœ๐š’๐šŽ๐šœ๐š ๐š™๐šŠ๐š›๐š. ๐š‚๐šŒ๐š˜๐š˜๐š™ ๐šž๐š™ ๐šœ๐š˜๐š–๐šŽ ๐š ๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ๐š› ๐š๐š›๐š˜๐š– ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š›๐šข ๐š๐š˜๐š™ ๐š˜๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š ๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ๐š›๐š๐šŠ๐š•๐š•, ๐šŠ๐š—๐šข ๐š™๐šŠ๐š›๐š ๐š๐š˜๐š ๐š— ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š‹๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜๐š˜ ๐š๐š’๐š›๐š๐šข ๐š๐š˜ ๐šž๐šœ๐šŽ. ๐™ณ๐š˜ ๐š—๐š˜๐š ๐šŽ๐šก๐š™๐š˜๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐š’๐šœ ๐š ๐šŠ๐š๐šŽ๐š› ๐š๐š˜ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š’๐š› ๐š‹๐šŽ๐š๐š˜๐š›๐šŽ ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐šŒ๐š›๐šŠ๐š๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š”๐šŽ๐šข, ๐š‹๐šŽ๐šŒ๐šŠ๐šž๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š—๐šŒ๐šŽ ๐šŠ๐š๐šŠ๐š’๐š—, ๐š’๐š ๐š ๐š’๐š•๐š• ๐š‹๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜๐š˜ ๐š๐š’๐š›๐š๐šข. ๐™ถ๐š˜๐š˜๐š ๐š•๐šž๐šŒ๐š”; ๐š›๐šŽ๐š๐š›๐š’๐šŽ๐šŸ๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐š›๐šŽ๐šข ๐š–๐šŠ๐š๐š๐šŽ๐š› ๐š—๐šŽ๐šก๐š.


โ€œYou have any containers we could use?โ€ Cara asked.


Atticus shook his head, so Cara looked in her bag and brought out her water bottle. She dumped the remaining water into the pool and asked, โ€œWhereโ€™s the top of the waterfall?โ€


Atticus pointed to the sky, and the lower, and then dropped his hand. โ€œI donโ€™t know.โ€


โ€œDonโ€™t you have eagle eyes or something?โ€


โ€œOh right,โ€ said Atticus. Everyone had their own โ€œpowerโ€ or sense enhancement. It didnโ€™t matter about your ancestral ties, because it was completely random. Cara had superhuman hearing, Atticus had great eyesight, etc.


Atticus squinted skyward and his pupils dilated. After staring up for a few seconds, his eyes turned back to normal and he reported to Cara, โ€œItโ€™s way up there, about 10 minutes of walking.โ€


โ€œLead the way.โ€ They climbed up the dark waterfall, a hard feat, for everything was black so you couldnโ€™t see the handles. After a while, they reached the top where a river spilled into the waterfall, and Cara uncapped her bottle. While holding the cap right above the lip of the bottle, she scooped up some water from the river and immediately covered it, screwing it on as hard as possible.


โ€œSo thatโ€™s done,โ€ Cara said, climbing down the waterfall. โ€œWhat do we do now?โ€


โ€œWell, the note said we should make the grey matter next,โ€ said Atticus beside her.


โ€œHow are we supposed to โ€˜captureโ€™ light and darkness, and merge them together?โ€


โ€œMaybe thereโ€™s another note that tells us how?โ€


โ€œWhere would that be?โ€


โ€œI donโ€™t know!โ€


Cara glared at Atticus for a second before jumping down to the floor. โ€œWhere would you put the note?โ€


โ€œSomewhere shiny? So you could store the highlights and the darkness together?โ€


Cara looked Atticus in the eye this time. โ€œThatโ€™s brilliant!โ€


Atticus blushed while Cara asked, โ€œWhat would a shiny thing be?โ€


โ€œ...a mirror?โ€


Caraโ€™s eyes widened with understanding and without a warning went running off to her house with Atticus trailing behind. The waterfall was in the townโ€™s square and Caraโ€™s house was further from town, so they had to run for quite a while before they arrived, panting and puffing like a broken train. Cara didnโ€™t wait long for Atticus; she sprinted straight back into her house and up the void-looking stairs to her bathroom, which was not exactly in its cleanest state.


Atticus trudged up the stairs slowly behind her, still breathing hard when he entered the bathroom just as Cara was exiting. They collided hard, knocking Atticus to the ground so Cara helped him up this time.


โ€œSorry!โ€ they both said at the same time, and then blushed in unison, and then blushed more at the same time. After a formal cough, Cara ushered Atticus into the bathroom with the book, water, and a little pot and spoon set on the counter.


โ€œYou really are brilliant Atticus,โ€ Cara said while setting up the pot. Atticus blushed again in the darkness, but since they lived in a black world, Cara didnโ€™t notice. Lucky for them, they didnโ€™t even know they had a blushing contest; but we do.


โ€œNow, how do you think we should โ€˜captureโ€™ these?โ€


โ€œMaybe we just...I donโ€™t know how to explain it, could you give the pot to me? I can show you.โ€


Cara handed the pot to Atticus and they switched places, so he was right in front of the mirror. Atticus crouched down so his head was in line with the mirror, and he set his arm up so it was perpendicular to the mirrorโ€™s edge. He settled down, turning very still, and then suddenly jerked his arm up, scooping up the darkness along with the highlights into the pot, and covered the pot with his hand. Cara sat down next to him, slightly pushing his arm so a bit of the marbled grey matter spilt on the floor, sloshing around in little ovals, like water does on plastic. Atticus and Cara were silent; they had never seen grey matter before, so it was quite fascinating.ย 


โ€œHow did you know how to do that?โ€ asked Cara quietly.


โ€œI donโ€™t know, I just thought of it so I tried it.โ€


โ€œWhat do you know the answer to?โ€ They both laughed at that, then lidded the pot and decided that that day was already full of lots of adventures, so they would continue tomorrow and meet at Caraโ€™s house.


.>.<.>.<.


Atticus knocked on the door of Caraโ€™s house next afternoon, and was met not by Cara but by her mother, who was quite curious about the boy at the footstep of their home.


โ€œHello, what might your name be?โ€ asked Caraโ€™s mother politely.


โ€œAtticus.โ€


โ€œWhat might you be here for?โ€


โ€œRight...I and Cara have a project to do,โ€ Atticus said.


โ€œWhatโ€™s the project about?โ€


Atticus shifted his weight uncomfortably. โ€œUh, itโ€™s about-โ€


โ€œItโ€™s about insects Mom! Itโ€™s about insects! We have to research about them; yes, itโ€™s about insects,โ€ said Cara, catapulting out from the door to save Atticus from this ordeal.


โ€œCool! When youโ€™re finished we can have muffins!โ€


Cara just nodded and led Atticus down the steps while her mother called out, โ€œDonโ€™t forget to bring your water bottle!โ€


โ€œI already have it!โ€ Caraโ€™s mother nodded in approval, and Cara and Atticus ran to the town square, far away from Caraโ€™s bit more than nosy mother.


ย โ€œFirst we need to find the Headโ€™s garden. How in the world are we supposed to do that?โ€ Cara asked.


โ€œWe could use some surveillance or something to find out where he lives first,โ€ suggested Atticus.ย 


Cara nodded and said, โ€œLetโ€™s set up cameras in our neighbours' houses; the Head could be anyone.โ€


Atticus agreed, deciding they would buy cameras and place them in their neighbours' houses at the front door; it couldnโ€™t be considered spying if it was for a good cause, right?


They both set them up quickly on 4 houses: two next to Caraโ€™s and two next to Atticusโ€™s. They hooked them up to a computer and watched closely; for a couple hours nothing happened, but suddenly they heard a shuffle from Atticusโ€™s 2nd camera. It was an old man whose name was Jeremiah, but they watched him take off his sunglasses and coat to reveal the Headโ€™s face, with much fewer wrinkles, because the Head had been wearing a mask. Cara observed that his coat was left next to the steps, so she directed Atticus to snag a camera in a pocket. He did it quickly, while the Head was inside, and then he came out and put on the coat, which they now had surveillance of. They watched him walk past Atticusโ€™s house, the town square, the waterfall, and then he stopped at an insalubrious shed. Walking inside, Cara and Atticus saw a magnificent view; one of Roald Dahl and J.K Rowling, one of fantasy and adventure, one of only dreams and magic could create.


It was the garden.


Rushing out of Caraโ€™s house, they ran as fast as they could past the house, the square, the waterfall and arrived at the shed. Atticus almost darted into the shed, but Cara stopped him because she had heard the Head coming. Once he had passed by, they ran in and marvelled at the view.


It was huge, and everything was so colourful; green, yellow, pink, orange, Cara and Atticus were astonished. Species of flowers, plants, trees, bushes, everywhere were so colourful, it was like squirts of paint in their faces.


โ€œWhere are the fish?โ€ Atticus asked.


Cara just pointed to the little pond in the center, with glistening water and floating lily pads. Little rainbow fish swam around the pond; the life fish.


โ€œShould we just catch them?โ€ Cara asked. Atticus nodded. Cara thrust her hands into the water and brought out a wiggling fish and tried to stop it from moving, but it squeaked, โ€œNo!โ€ and dove back into the water.


โ€œYou canโ€™t get their scales by force yโ€™know,โ€ a little voice said from behind. Cara pivoted to meet a pixie with transparent wings and pointy ears. โ€œMy nameโ€™s Alette, whatโ€™s yours?โ€


โ€œIโ€™m Cara and thatโ€™s Atticus,โ€ said Cara, pointing to Atticus. โ€œWe really need these scales.โ€


โ€œThen you just have to make the fish laugh, because the scales will slide right off,โ€ said Alette.


Atticus raised his eyebrows but caught another fish and said, โ€œWhy did the bike fall over?โ€


The fish looked Atticus in the eye. โ€œWhy?โ€


โ€œBecause it was two tired.โ€


The fish closed his eyes for a second, but then a hearty laugh escaped from him and his scales just slid off like carrot slices, until new ones grew on his back and he leaped into the water.


Hurriedly, Cara got out the pot and mixed around the grey matter fully and poured in the spring water, turning it into a thin grey material. She crushed up the scales with the spoon, which were surprisingly soft, and mixed it in, creating an iridescent rainbow mixture. Atticus and Alette watched over her shoulder, fascinated. Suddenly the mixture made a clank! sound and instead of a liquid, there was a rainbow key lying in the pot.


โ€œWhere do we get the other key-โ€


A note dropped out of the pot which said:


ย ๐šƒ๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š› ๐š”๐šŽ๐šข๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š›๐šŽ ๐š•๐šข๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š—๐šŽ๐šŠ๐š› ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜๐š˜๐š› ๐š’๐š— ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š๐šŽ๐š—๐šŒ๐šŽ. ๐š‚๐šŠ๐šข "๐šƒ๐š‘๐š›๐šŽ๐šŽ ๐š”๐šŽ๐šข๐šœ, ๐š˜๐š—๐šŽ ๐šŽ๐š—๐š, ๐š™๐š•๐šŽ๐šŠ๐šœ๐šŽ ๐š๐š›๐šŠ๐š—๐šœ๐š™๐š˜๐š›๐š ๐šž๐šœ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š˜๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š› ๐š ๐š˜๐š›๐š•๐š."

๐™ถ๐š˜๐š˜๐š ๐š“๐š˜๐š‹; ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐š๐š˜๐š˜๐š ๐š•๐šž๐šŒ๐š” ๐š˜๐š— ๐šข๐š˜๐šž๐š› ๐š—๐šŽ๐š  ๐šŠ๐š๐šŸ๐šŽ๐š—๐š๐šž๐š›๐šŽ.


Alette shouted, โ€œIโ€™ve seen those! Lemme show you where they are.โ€ย 


Atticus and Cara followed Alette to the back of the garden where there were two iridescent black and white keys in front of a blank space. After placing the rainbow key next to the others, Cara opened her mouth to ask where the door was just when vines pulled back to reveal a white door.


Wasting no time, Cara and Atticus chanted, โ€œThree keys, one end, please transport us to the other world.โ€


The door creaked open, revealing a maze of paths stretching every way imaginable in swirling rainbow colours. Sharing a look with no particular stop in mind, Cara and Atticus ran into the door, to freedom, to a life full of colour, and to another world.

May 05, 2021 01:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

245 comments

11:13 May 22, 2021

Question: is color just a myth? How do they know what it is, or even begin to understand it? Otherwise, you rock!

Reply

:O gOoD qUeStIoN! Idk Thank youuuuu

Reply

19:33 May 23, 2021

Thanks

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
18:05 May 13, 2021

Wow! Great story! A little dystopian I think. Also, I like your poem on your bio! And I love that Christopher Columbus quote I have a painting that says that. :)

Reply

Thank you! :D thank you! ooh cool!

Reply

Echo Sundar
19:41 May 13, 2021

Also, do you mind reading my story memories and cobwebs?

Reply

Yes! I'll read them asap :)

Reply

Echo Sundar
03:01 May 14, 2021

Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:01 May 13, 2021

Part.......7 XD

Reply

Sia S
15:58 May 13, 2021

:P

Reply

Sia S
00:51 May 14, 2021

?

Reply

it's a :) face and a ): face lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
11:53 May 12, 2021

Pt. 6!

Reply

Sia S
16:52 May 12, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:14 May 12, 2021

Come on, Ame.

Reply

Sia S
16:53 May 12, 2021

XDD ugh. Bad day for both you and me , huh? What went wrong for you? What's up sis?

Reply

well, everything and nothing went wrong at the same time sO oswngasjdfsa

Reply

Sia S
17:30 May 12, 2021

Okay...... elaborateee?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:09 May 11, 2021

HI!

Reply

Show 1 reply

yeah...it'll go away but it always comes back T-T thanks <33

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ryan LmColli
18:33 May 10, 2021

Join this: https://www.guilded.gg/i/0k80xDmk Oh no... ouch. I definitely teared up by the end. I really canโ€™t say enough good things about this story. Iโ€™m a Chinese-American young woman - who has a fondness for Mandarin scattered throughout English - so it especially hit hard for me. You captured so many bits of the culture incredibly well: ๅ“ฅๅ“ฅ, ๅฆˆๅฆˆ, offering food as a comfort tactic. All of it feels so loyal and true to real life. I absolutely love the tie-ins to other Chinese characters too. Itโ€™s a funny language. (I created my pen name with...

Reply

Thank you, but there's no connection to Chinese in this story, so I think you commented on the wrong story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
02:29 May 05, 2021

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo very cool. it's very hard to imagine everything black because well we are so used to color lol very neat job!

Reply

:> thank you! yeah, sometimes I had to go back and be like 'blue doesn't exist why is the sky blue' XD :DD thanks!

Reply

TJ Squared
02:46 May 06, 2021

XD yeah np :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
04:05 May 08, 2021

๐ŸšจAME SAD ALERT CHEER UP AME๐Ÿšจ

Reply

TJ Squared
04:07 May 08, 2021

okay, sure

Reply

Sia S
04:08 May 08, 2021

๐Ÿ‘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.