2 comments

Adventure Drama Friendship

It was the last week of December that I and 2 of my friends decided to travel to another city. We were so excited about that. I got up early that morning, packed my clothes, and was ready to go. My mum was quite anxious about me and convinced me and my friends a lot to drive safely. We all assured her not to worry about it and we three left the city at 10:00am. It was a seven-hour drive from our city. It was a quite busy day and there was a lot of traffic on the roads so we expected that we would arrive even late to our destination. We had prepared a good playlist of songs to enjoy our drive. In the middle of the journey, after like 3 hours’ drive, we decided to have a stop at a restaurant. We had our lunch and refreshed ourselves. Then after like an hour, we started our journey again. It was quite cold outside and in winter, days are very short, it gets dark outside around 5pm. We took the motorway route to arrive as soon as possible before it gets too late because in winter it gets too foggy in the evening that it becomes hard to drive because visibility is too low. The motorway road was a quite long road and the drive was so peaceful. There were hills by the side and quite low traffic, so my friend was driving a bit fast. At around 6pm we saw a yellow light coming near to our car in the middle of the road. We thought it was just another car, so we took it normally. That vehicle was coming closer to us, I told my friend to keep the car a bit on our side of the road. It was already so foggy that the visibility became low. We were just wondering that why that vehicle had just one light blinking or maybe its other front light was damaged, that a massive truck hit our car and it went out of control. Our car got hit into the rocks on the side of the road and turned upside down. Both of my friends sitting in front of the car got major injuries as they got hurt by the glass of the front screen of the car. Both got fainted. I was sitting in the back of the car and so I got minor injuries, but I was completely numb at that time. I didn’t know what to do to save the life of my friends and felt so helpless, that time was the worst time I have ever experienced in my life. I was almost having a nervous breakdown at that time. But it tried to have control over myself and called the ambulance and the police. The ambulance arrived after like 15min and I took both of my friends to the hospital. They were injured so badly and I could see the blood pouring out of there bruises. I felt so helpless and was trying to save their lives at that time. The doctors immediately shifted them to the ICU and applied a bandage to all their wounds but both were still senseless. I was just standing outside the ICU room, cursing myself as I had nothing in my hand to save their lives, and I was just considering my survival as way more than a miracle. I called my parents as well as informed the parents of my friends about the accident. They all picked up a flight to reach as soon as possible to the hospital. The doctors were trying their best to save them. I could not stop crying as I could see the lives of two of my friends at risk. Our parents arrived about 2 hours later. We were all waiting outside the ICU room waiting for the doctors to give a hope of their survival. That was the moment I felt the guilt and sadness when you have the feeling of losing your loved ones, but I was completely helpless. The doctor came out and I was just waiting for his response. He told me that one of your friends has passed away as he got a severe head injury and had a massive blood loss while the other friend had chances to survive. My friend’s parents got fainted with listening to this and I was completely numb at that time. I had just lost the life of my childhood friend and I felt like everything in the world had just ended. I couldn’t control my emotions and was almost crying loudly. After like an hour my other friend came to his senses that gave a bit hope about his survival, but the loss of my other friend had left me entirely alone. As she meant more to me than just a friend. We had a relation that sisters share, and we stood against each other through thick and thin. I knew the space her loss had created in my life could never be filled. That was the moment I truly realized how we take things for granted and how precious lives are. The loss of a loved one in your life is never easy and that loss can never be replaced by anyone. I stayed at the hospital with my other friend for like 2 more days until she was recovered, then we all came back to our city. Those were the most miserable days of my life as I didn’t like anything at all.All my energy had drained away and by losing my dearest friend I felt like I was alone on this planet now. Our trip that I was expecting to be joyful turned into a nightmare. The loss of my friend changed my life a lot. I realized how precious every little thing is in our lives, but we don’t really appreciate those things and moments. We should always be grateful for all people and all the things we have in our lives.

October 03, 2020 01:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Morsli Oumrani
18:46 Jan 01, 2023

Sorry for your friend ..but the Big lesson is Choose thé adéquate Time for your trip .. Thanks for sharing your story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Masooma Faisal
19:15 Mar 12, 2023

sorry for your friend loss. First you should not time at night and in cold weather because there are many accidents that can happen to you because of the fog and like dark. Take care and don't lose hope. it was as a lesson for you. - just be thankful to God that your other friend is okay. BY THE WAY THANKS FOR SHARING YOR STORY. TAKE CARE.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.