The Cursed Summer Solstice

Submitted into Contest #99 in response to: Write about the longest day of the year, or a day that never seems to end.... view prompt

2 comments

Fiction Funny

     June 21st. Summer solstice. The longest day of the year. Well…here we go.

     I believe summer solstices are jerks.

     You know, like how they last forever? When you stare at the sky, and the sun seems to be moving at snail-pace? And then you go, come onnnn sun! Just let this stupid day be over!

     I usually like writing stories. Crossovers, picking up unfinished plot threads in my favorite anime, and those activities drag the day out quite a bit. Which makes for the perfect winter solstice activity!

     But summer solstice? The activities are a little weird.

     I find that heart-to-heart conversations with other people pass the time swiftly. If I can get into the conversation, that is. So I seeked out my best friend Sunny and started talking about random stuff to her! Totally a good strategy to pass time. If Sunny doesn’t storm off first because I accidentally touched up on some sensitive topics that I didn’t even realize were sensitive.

     “Hey Sunny, do you remember the good old days?” I asked. 

     “Of course!” Sunny giggled. “Those were the fun times. When we didn’t have any homework, our parents let us do whatever we wanted…” she stared at the cloudless sky, her eyes growing clouded as she probably started digging through some old memories.

     We were so tiny. Happy and shiny. Unaware of life’s dangers.

     Everything was laughter. Foolish and easily flattered. Seriously, who told Mary Jane she could drive a car at age six?! And Kent actually believed his three-year old sister was in love with him??!?

     Then we got bigger, that was the trigger. Changes suddenly engulfed our entire world.

     The world didn’t seem so bright and innocent then. 

     Most of my lifelong friends became distant and their personalities changed. Many of my neighbors moved away. Pressure slowly applied by hopeful parents that only care about how good your grades are.

     But I know that life can still be beautiful. I pray for a better future every day. If we changed back then, we could change again. We can still be happy again…

     “Ow! Watch it!”

     Just not today.

     Sunny and I were snapped out of our thoughts when the cool guy down the block slammed into us with his skateboard. I staggered, barely catching myself on the concrete sidewalk. Glaring was number one on my agenda. Seriously, why couldn’t Adam just watch where he was going?!

     “What do you think you’re doing? You two are sitting on the middle of the sidewalk!!”

     Okay, maybe we were a little at fault for that as well.

     After two rose scones and a little more conversation with Sunny later, I left to go to the mall. I checked my watch. 9:46. Not good enough.

     When I got to the mall, I hoped for peaceful shopping through all the different stores in the place. Maybe have lunch there, as well as a trip to the spa. What I didn’t expect was a horde of my classmates and neighbors to be there as well.

     I started out by visiting my favorite cafe in the mall, the Countryside Café. I really admired its gorgeous design, from the concrete carved and textured to imitate stone bricks, to the dark oak wooden sign painted with black fancy letters to the fake ivy climbing up its walls. Everything there screamed medieval and fancy.

     The only thing I didn’t like about the place was Wisteria.

     Wisteria, Junior at my high school, pale blond hair, faded blue eyes, and as mad as a hamster. She always spoke of the strangest things. If you asked her how her day was going, she would respond by saying something like ‘Today will prove to be a wonderful harvest’, or ‘The snakes are calling me.’ No one can understand her. That’s probably why she was held back two years.

     I went into the cafe, ordered my cappuccino, and sat down at a table near the corner to enjoy my delicious drink. What I didn’t notice was that Wisteria was sitting there as well.

     “Well hello there, sweet little flower.” I nearly spat out my drink in surprise at the sudden voice. “I see a day of happiness and sorrow for you ahead.” I swung my head towards Wisteria, trying and failing miserably to stop from glaring at her.

     “My name is Lily.” I responded with very thin patience. “Please call me that, not ‘sweet little flower’ or something else.”

     “The sky is not dotted with a single cloud today.” Wisteria went on, a foggy look in her pale eyes. “The sun shines brightly, undisturbed. However, the sky was stained at dawn. Unnecessary unhappiness will befall you today. You will experience happiness, joy, and laughter amongst your friends, family, and beloved. But you will also experience pain, remembrance, and doubt. You will not come out of this day unscathed. However, you will come out before the sun sets.”

     “Of course I will.” I thought irritably. This day is lasting forever!! Out loud, I said, “What do you mean?”

     “I see more in you than the rest of the group.” Wisteria responded cryptically. “Follow your mind, time after time, and it’ll guide you to the exit out of this day. And it’ll be like a dream come true.” A small, unfocused smile graced Wisteria’s lips.

     “You’re telling me…what again?” I queried, letting a little doubt slip through.

     “One day is not a long time when you’re waiting for a small sign.” Wisteria sighed. “Patience is hard to find. Shadows will fill your mind. But don’t be disappointed. Don’t let your heart break. Don’t spend another minute this way. It’s okay. Look to the horizon, and you’ll find your salvation.”

     “It was…nice to talk to you, Wisteria,” I said in the sweetest voice I could muster. “but I need to go now. See you…soon enough!” Of course, Wisteria didn’t respond, just gazing at a portrait of an abandoned, destroyed building with faded curiosity. I snorted. She was insane.

     But even after I completed all my shopping, I looked at my watch and it wasn’t even noon yet.

     This day is cursed.

June 21, 2021 23:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

19:01 Jul 02, 2021

This is a very funny glimpse into the mind of a teenager (a place I can even almost remember being inside once!) The observations are on the nose... the vivid description of the cafe, and then mentioning wisteria... leaving a beat and then allowing the reader to realize Wisteria is a person. Really, really funny. And the high drama of memory ... very very good. Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gip Roberts
20:35 Jun 28, 2021

I think this would make a good sitcom episode. "We can still be happy again..." "Ow! Watch it!" "Just not today." That was hilarious once I realized what was going on. I hate summer solstices too, so needless to say, I can totally relate to this story's main character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.