0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Adventure

Dani sat on the couch and lifted the footrest to raise her feet. The brown leather was cold through her pajama pants. As she stretched back, Peanut settled more firmly into Dani’s side. At 16 years old, Peanut still could force her small Chihuahua body into the firmest of nooks. As Dani shifted her position to give Peanut more room, her hand brushed against the side of the couch, and she felt something hard and smooth beneath her fingers.

Curious, she reached deeper into the couch, feeling around until her fingers brushed against a small, rectangular object. She wrapped her fingers around it and pulled it out, revealing an old photograph hidden deep within the folds of the cushion.

The photo was old and faded, with creases and wrinkles showing it had been handled many times. Dani examined it closely, studying the faces of the people in the picture. A man and a woman were smiling and holding hands, with a young child perched on the man's shoulders. They looked like a happy family, frozen in time and captured forever in the image.

As Dani gazed at the old photo, something strange began to happen. The colors of the image seemed to shift and change before her eyes as if the people in the picture were coming to life. The faded edges of the photograph began to blur and dissolve, and a strange mist began to rise from its surface.

She watched in awe as the figures in the photo stepped out of the image and into the room. They looked just as they had in the photograph but somehow more real, with a palpable energy that filled the space around them. They smiled at her as if they had been waiting for her to see them all along.

The young child in the photo took her hand, leading her into the past. They walked through fields and forests, passing by old buildings and landmarks she had never seen before. Yet, the people in the photo seemed to know her and welcomed her into their world with open arms.

As they walked, she realized she was witnessing a moment in time that had been frozen for decades. The people in the photo had continued to live their lives after the moment had passed, but for Dani, this was the only glimpse she would ever have of them. And yet, here they were, sharing their world with her in a way that was both magical and surreal.

Dani and the mysterious child wandered deep into the woods, surrounded by towering trees and the peaceful sounds of nature. They had been walking for hours, following a winding path that seemed to lead nowhere. As they rounded a bend in the path, Dani caught sight of something glinting in the distance. Curious, she quickened her pace, with the child following close behind. As they drew closer, they realized the glinting object was a small, golden box sitting atop a fallen log.

Dani reached out to touch the box, but the child warned her to be careful before she could lay her hands on it. "That box is cursed," the child said, with a strange tone of knowing in his voice. "It's said to bring great riches, but only at a great cost." Undeterred, Dani picked up the box and examined it closely. It was intricately crafted, with ornate carvings and symbols etched into its surface. She turned the box over in her hands, feeling its weight and listening to the sound of its contents rattling within.

A bright light burst forth as she opened the lid, blinding them momentarily. When their eyes adjusted, they saw that the box was empty except for a small, intricately carved key. The key was unlike any they had ever seen, with a shape and design that seemed almost otherworldly.

Without hesitation, Dani set out to find the lock that the key belonged to, the child trailing reluctantly behind her. They followed the winding path deeper into the woods, searching for any sign of a door or a lock. Finally, they came to a clearing with a small, hidden cave tucked away in the shadows.

Dani approached the cave cautiously, holding the key out before her. As she inserted the key into the lock, the cave began to rumble and shake. The ground beneath their feet trembled, and a bright light emerged from the cave.

As the light faded, they saw that the cave was filled with treasure beyond their wildest dreams. Gold coins, precious gems, and sparkling jewels were piled high, as far as the eye could see. They gazed in wonder at the treasure, realizing that the box and the key had led them to this unexpected bounty.

But as they reached out to touch the treasure, Dani felt a strange presence in the air. It was as if the woods themselves were warning them to stay away. They hesitated, unsure of what to do, and the child urged them to leave before it was too late.

As they backed away from the cave, the ground shook once again, and the entrance to the cave collapsed in on itself, leaving an impenetrable mist. Dani lost sight of the child and was unsure which way to turn. 

As the mist slowly dissipated, the trees and their surroundings gradually emerged from the haze, regaining their clarity and definition. The vibrant colors of the foliage, the rough texture of the bark, and the intricate details of the branches all became more pronounced with each passing moment.  Dani suddenly realized she was once again holding the old, faded photograph in her hand. 

As she stood there holding the photograph, she watched in amazement as the surroundings slowly faded into the image. The leaves on the trees began to merge with the colors in the photo, and the contours of the branches blended seamlessly with the ones in the picture. It was as if the real-life scene was dissolving back into the image in her hand.

Dani was left alone back on her couch, with only the old photograph as a reminder of the experience she had just witnessed. Peanut nudged her side, and she reached down to comfort the dog and herself. As she did, her hand brushed against something cold and hard around the dog's neck. Curious, she lifted the dog's collar and to her surprise, saw a beautiful, shining jewel hanging from a chain. The gem was a deep blue color, with facets that caught the light of the crackling fireplace, reflecting a twinkly blue mist against the living room wall. Peanut yipped once and then snuggled contentedly back into Dani’s side.

April 07, 2023 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.