9 comments

Fiction Sad Friendship

With a high-pitched “pop” that made my ears twitch, a woman suddenly appeared in the middle of the kitchen. She was wearing a floor-length flower print dress, and on her head was a rather large hat entirely covered with lace. She looked casually about the room, nodded politely in our direction when she saw us, and floated off toward the living room.

“That’s the eleventh one today, Charlie.” I shook my head as the woman passed through the wall and out of sight. “They all just appear out of nowhere, don’t use the door or anything.” Matching my words, a man in a fedora poked his head abruptly through the wall beside me. “Hey!” I barked, and immediately regretted my harsh tone.

“My apologies, sir,” the man said, looking over at Charlie and me. He tipped his hat to us as the rest of him came through the wall, accompanied by a horrible ratting sound. Embarrassed, the man looked back at the chains he had dragged along with him. With a grimace, and a good deal more rattling, he lifted the chains up and deposited them in the pocket of his jacket. “I forgot,” he shrugged and drifted off in the same direction the woman and all the others had gone.

“Do you think there will be more, Max?” Charlie asked in his usual curious way.

“It’s likely,” I said. “We should go check on Daisy.”

Charlie followed me into the living room where Michael and the rest of the family had gathered. The room was filling up with visitors, so we made our way through them as politely as we could.

“Are we the only ones who can see them, Max?” Charlie asked, looking around at the dozen strangers who had so far arrived today.

“I think Michael and his family just don’t want to,” I replied as I stepped between two of the floating newcomers. A large man with a bald head flashed us a kind smile, and a woman with tall boots and flowers in her hair swayed gently from side to side, her feet several inches off the floor. “Come on, Charlie,” I urged.

Daisy lay quietly in her bed in the corner of the living room. She looked tired, and every bit as old as ninety-eight. Michael had moved her bed to the living room several months before, when climbing the stairs to the bedroom had just become too much for her. Michael stood next to the window, looking up only slightly as Charlie and I arrived. His face seemed flushed, and I could tell he was struggling to hold back tears.

“Over here Max, Charlie.” Jennifer, Michael’s wife smiled when she saw us, just as she always did, and waved us closer. She was sitting in a chair near Daisy, the tears flowing freely down her cheeks. Charlie and I approached the bed where Madison, Michael and Jennifer’s daughter, lay on the edge beside Daisy. The girl was sobbing visibly.

“Max,” Daisy said, her voice old, yet as kind as ever. She caught my eye as I, too, sat on the edge of her bed. “And Charlie,” she added as he came closer. “It’s good to see you both.” She looked slowly around the room. “And so many old friends,” She added.

Madison sniffled as she sat up from Daisy’s bed. She tucked the blanket tighter around Daisy and went to stand beside her mother. Charlie stepped carefully closer to the edge of Daisy’s bed.

“You can see them too, Daisy?” Charlie asked, leaning his head close to Daisy’s ear so just the three of us could hear. “And you know them?”

“Of course, Charlie.” There was a smile in her old eyes as Daisy spoke to us. “They are very old and very dear friends.”

“But why can’t Michael, or Jennifer or Madison see them?” Charlie asked, glancing over at the family. I tried to shush him but Daisy gave me that patient, loving look she so often had when I was acting putout. I touched her shoulder and looked down at her in apology.

“Some just can’t,” Daisy said easily. “And that’s just fine.”

“But who are they?” Charlie looked back at the room. “Will they keep coming?”

I looked up and could see that several more had arrived. The room was getting crowded with them, and I thought there must have been nearly two dozen already. Michael, Jennifer and Madison still did not notice them.

“Do you remember what I did for most of my life?” Daisy asked simply.

“You helped at the hospital,” I answered, “Where Jennifer works.”

“Yes, Max.” Daisy smiled at me with her gentle eyes. “I went there for many years, simply visiting those who were sick or old.” She took a shallow breath before continuing slowly. “And I was with many of them when they passed on.” I followed her gaze to those who had gathered. The man with the fedora had removed his hat and held it over his chest. All of them nodded, smiling down at Daisy. “As they are here now for me,” she concluded.

The crowd of them more than filled the living room now. I could see faces peeking through the walls and the ceiling. There were so many. Although they left the family a respectful space, I didn’t know how Michael and the others couldn’t see them.

One by one, the visitors stepped forward. Each placed a hand briefly on Daisy’s head or her shoulder before moving on. None of them left the room, but dozens more came forward to lay their hand on her or leaned down to whisper a word into her ear. Slowly, Daisy closed her tired eyes.

The last to step forward was a girl, younger than Madison, with her long hair in curls and ribbons. Daisy opened her eyes when the girl touched her shoulder.

“Sarah.” Daisy’s voice was all but a whisper. “Your hair is lovelier than I imagined. I knew it would come back.” Her eyes twinkled at the girl.

“Thank you, Daisy,” the girl said. “It’s our turn to be here for you now.”

With a soft sigh, Daisy closed her eyes for the last time. I could feel the sadness from Michael and the family, but even more powerful was the feeling of love from everyone who had gathered. Love for Daisy.

I knew Charlie could feel it too, for he stretched out his paws, climbed onto the bed, and curled up into a ball beside Daisy with a soft and gentle purr. I touched Daisy’s muzzle with the tip of my own before letting out a quiet howl, just for her.

Slowly, the visitors disappeared, much as they had arrived. The last to leave was Sarah, and as the girl passed through the wall, I swear I could see Daisy’s fluffy tail wag a finally goodbye.

October 21, 2020 03:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Colin Devonshire
10:27 Oct 29, 2020

Clever, Tony, you got me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ray Dyer
21:30 Oct 28, 2020

Hi, Tony! The Reedsy Critique Circle hooked me up with your story, and I'm so glad they did. This is a fantastic story, and I'm so glad that the clues were leading where I thought they might be. The first time I wondered about the narrators was about a paragraph after I knew their names. Ironically, though, it was right after reading "Daisy" that I started to wonder about "Max" and "Charlie." When they all got onto the bed I started thinking, "How many people can fit on the edge of the bed?" I was never certain until the end, and the emo...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ben To
03:54 Nov 06, 2020

Great hooking first line, and great story overall. I love how how you don’t over share information up front, but instead parcel it out, trusting the reader to figure things out.

Reply

Tony Hadley
21:25 Nov 06, 2020

Thanks! It was fun to try and add little hints without giving it away.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Clara D Berry
06:37 Oct 23, 2020

Another fascinating story. I gather that Sarah had cancer. It's sweet that Daisy got to see her hair in the end, and also that all those people came to accompany her to heaven. Great twist at the end of the story - I wasn't expecting them to be dogs. I was confused about the relationships between all the different characters (I thought Daisy was the grandma, and Charlie, Max, and Michael were brothers), but once it was clear that Charlie, Max, and Daisy were dogs, I reread the story and was able to figure it out. One correction - you used ...

Reply

Tony Hadley
16:06 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it!. I changed the "dragged," thanks for pointing that out. It was difficult writing it with subtle hints that they were animals and not humans, and yet adding the human element to them. I went with Charlie being a cat however, if you notice at the end with his "purr," and that he only ever asked questions (curiosity and all). And I'm glad you caught the bit about Sarah. I wanted to infer it without saying it. Thank you again!

Reply

Regina Perry
20:39 Oct 25, 2020

Yes! I knew Charlie was a cat! Well, actually I didn't know he was an animal at all, though it was perfectly natural when you sprung that detail. I went back and looked for hints, too. "My ears twitched". "I barked". Those clues are really subtle, but they're there. I thought it was a bit odd to have someone's bed in the living room. And I noticed that Charlie, Max, and Daisy didn't speak to the human members of the family. Ohh, this story was really good. It was also heartrending. I loved this line: "we made our way through them as pol...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Clara D Berry
16:18 Oct 23, 2020

Oh! Thank you for pointing that out! Looking at it again, I see that Charlie's behavior is definitely more cat-like than dog-like. I must have missed that clue.

Reply

Tony Hadley
16:59 Oct 23, 2020

That's ok, the clues were all super subtle.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.