41 comments

Happy Sad

Authors note: Hey guys this is a collab with Luna! We have been working on this for a while and I am happy to present Lexie and I! I will link the link to Emilia and I in the comments. If you have questions feel free to leave them in the comments! :)

Emilila’s POV

I wish it would stop. It never stops. All the fighting, screaming and hitting. Lexie is lucky, she’s old enough to go out. I’m trapped here, terrified every night. I am only 13 and have been raising myself for the past 3 years. When my mom decided to marry this awful man. I hate him. I hate everything about him, the way he stumbles through the door, the way he caused us to leave our huge house and be stuck in this hellhole. God, I wish everything could be different, but I guess we all brought this upon ourselves. We all played a part in causing this life. Especially me. 

3 years ago, when I introduced my wonderful mother to this man, they fell in love. Then fell apart. He wasn’t always this bad, only after something happened. This only happened because of Connor. He was my best friend. We were obsessed with the parent trap, and like anyone would, made them go on a date. He died that night. He slipped, carrying the trays full of pizza, each topped with their favorite toppings. He blames me for what happened. I still don’t know why he stayed with my mom, but maybe she thought it was best, maybe he thought he still loved her. Either way, it sucks. 

What happened next, was so unexpected, it hit me like a rock. I knew it was always a possibility, but I never thought it would happen. But, it happened and soon I was sinking fast, I was trapped in my head, unsure and alone. Lexie was supposed to be there for me, but she wasn’t. The pills weren’t helping, I tried to take another, but the slippery, shiny pill throbbed in my throat and wouldn’t let me swallow. My throat was closing up. As I silently freaked out, my mom noticed she mouthed at me “Hey, are you okay?” I nodded, worried. I must have looked awful because even Lexie said something, “Hey! What’s wrong?! You're burning up!” As she placed her hand to my forehead. The colors swirled around me and then it all disappeared. 

Divorce. Such a funny word. Apparently, it means that two people no longer love each other. Well, we obviously could tell that they have fallen out of love as they said, but what would happen to me? Mom? Lexie? Even if my house is a hell hole, it is still my hell hole. That night I laid awake anxiously waiting for this day to be over. After I couldn’t bear it I got up and entered Lexie’s room. Unsure, if she would yell at me, fully ignore me or something worse, I walked up to her. She had her IPod and was listening to music in her headphones, staring out the window. Trying my best not to startle her, I tapped her shoulder. She ripped her headphones out and looked at me. She was a mess, her eyeliner was all over her face, her hair was pulled into a bun, now it was flying all over the place. “I-” I started to say, but she stopped me. “Not, here.” She whispered. I followed her out her window and got in her car. “So.” Lexie said. I burst into tears. Lexie, unsure of how to approach the situation. “So, I’m getting the feeling somethings going on that’s more than school?” Lexie said, as she sighed. She looked out the window, I felt the anger boiling inside of me. She asked me what happened at dinner. That set me off. I didn’t need her to care. “They aren't working!” I screamed. Confused, she asked in a calm voice, “What's not working?”

“My stupid pills! I just get so nervous that I cant breath so I try to shove one of those stupid pills down my throat and it just makes it worse!!!” I yell across the car. I don't’ stop talking, “I feel like I can’t ever catch my breath, like I’m always on the verge of running out of air. Like I’m drowning in a pool of my thoughts.” I finished as she just stared at me. 

“What are you so scared of?” She asks. I’m about to answer, but then I remember who I am talking to. She has known me for 3 years and never once cared why should I tell her? Eventually, I give in, no one ever listens, and since she's offering I’m going to tell her. “I-I dont know I always convince myself that someones gonna die or I’m gonna die or someones gonna take me, or that no one likes me, I just end up getting trapped in my own thoughts.” I say exasperated. My breath starts to quicken, I feel the new set of tears in my eyes. I allow them to roll down my cheeks, splashing onto my shirt. We sit in silence, until Lexie breaks it. “Lets play a game.” She suggests. I nod, not knowing what else to do. She asks about this kid in my class, Joel. I was surprised she even knew there was a kid named Joel. I told her all about how he brings his pet rat to school, and how he corrects the teachers. I told her how he makes cardboard weapons and never shuts up. Soon, I was smiling. She suggested we go home, and played a Broadway playlist on shuffle play. I had done it. I survived my first panic attack, with Lexie around. 

That was 1 year ago. Lexie’s birthday is in a week. She’ll be 18. She’ll be leaving me. Over this past year, we have grown closer than ever before. She’s helped me through multiple anxiety attacks and I have helped grow out of her anorexia. She is still beautiful. She is happier and healthier  now. Her arms have some definition on them, her hair is super silky, and she’s no longer brittle-boned. She has been living with me and mom, since the divorce. We don’t know what happened to him, but he's gone, for good. Once she leaves I don't know what I’ll do. Who will I tell all my secrets too? Who will drive me around? Who will take care of me? Mom is not a good guardian, she is always at the gym, she practically lives there. She’s never home. It’s always been me and Lexie. Lexie and I. 

18. We celebrated her birthday by driving around, blasting our playlist. I wished the night wouldn’t end, it was too perfect. I was turning 14 in a week and she was leaving. She was supposed to leave the day after my birthday. 

It was time. As I helped her pack her bags and take them to the car, she gave me an envelope. I looked at her confused. “Open it.” She said smiling. I did. Inside were adoption papers. “Are you?” I said with tears in my eyes. “All you have to do is sign.” Happily, I did. Once again, it was just me and Lexie. Lexie and I.

February 19, 2021 20:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

💫 Sophia 💫
20:08 Feb 19, 2021

Hey, everyone! In this collab, we decided on the story line of two stepsisters. My story is in the POV of Luna's character Emilia, the younger sister. And Luna's story is set in the POV of my character Lexie, the older sister. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this story!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:50 Mar 10, 2022

I say this is my favorite story. It is chock full of teenage angst and raw emotion. My parents had a rock solid marriage so I don't know much about divorce. You write like you have been there. One thing I did notice that you need to do a little editing when you type a number, write out the word. At the beginning of a sentence, capitalize the first letter. Is this for the contest? The edits are tiny and your writing is good. Keep going!

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
16:45 Mar 10, 2022

Hey thank you! I have been through a divorce, but it wasn't a rough one. And yeah I need to go back and edit somethings, thank you pointing them out. It was orginally, but it never got selected and I can't pay for them to be apart of the contests.

Reply

17:15 Mar 10, 2022

I must say that this site is kinder than Amazon. I get a few reviews but the one I just read for my story The Mystery of the Spanish Princess was downright mean! This lady from India prefers to remain anonymous which is her right. I can take criticism, don't get me wrong but to call my story "useless" and to call me "stupid" is uncalled for! I hit the "abuse" button but Amazon doesn't seem to care. Anyway, maybe I am thin skinned because i spend so much time writing and I get close to my stories, It feels like a slap in the face. Some of the...

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
01:53 Mar 13, 2022

I’m so sorry to hear that! You just have to remember that when people are mean it means they are just jealous. You are such a talented writer and they clearly see that. They just want to bring you down because you are so far above them. You just can’t let them get to you and all the book snobs they are just cowards who have nothing better to do than try to hurt someone else. And I COMPLETELY understand the funk thing, i’ve been planning my novel since last year and haven’t even written a word. I know you’ll get out of this situation an even ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:40 Mar 28, 2021

Do I need to fill out the form in your bio even tho I'm already listed? Excited to read your series!:D and sorry you're struggling with motivation problems:( anyway I can help?

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
13:40 Mar 29, 2021

No, you don't need to fill it out again. I will probably start writing your story first, idk. I'm very excited for your character. My motivation problems are kinda going away, I am just struggling with the start of the stories. :)

Reply

13:58 Mar 29, 2021

Ok! I’m excited!:) That’s understandable. Starting stories is tough. Sometimes I find it easier to skip ahead to a scene in the middle or end and then go back to fill in the beginning. Good luck on ur stories!

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
14:19 Mar 29, 2021

Thats a very good idea. I have never done that I will definitely try that. Thank you!!

Reply

14:19 Mar 29, 2021

yep!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
14:48 Mar 17, 2021

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/amany-sayed/

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
15:28 Mar 17, 2021

Thank you so much!! :) Also, would you like to have a character in the series?? All you have to do is fill out this form https://forms.gle/phN3m64pgjFypkpv8

Reply

Creed .
19:48 Mar 20, 2021

Oh! I'd love to! I didn't see this before, sorry!

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
20:49 Mar 21, 2021

Totally fine! Did you fill it out?

Reply

Creed .
23:18 Mar 21, 2021

Yep!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:27 Mar 16, 2021

Uh... am I not a nine? I didn't submit, so how can I get in?

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
18:35 Mar 16, 2021

?? What do you mean your not a 9 lol? Its just the name of the series. I can write you in. i also haven't started writing yet so it will be pretty easy, but can bad things happen to your character lol..

Reply

18:37 Mar 16, 2021

Oh. Where's the link?

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
18:39 Mar 16, 2021

https://forms.gle/9N7ybZ7tv8ZmoWcv5 Here you go! Sorry I just realized how long my bio has gotten now lol

Reply

18:48 Mar 16, 2021

Oh :)

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
18:49 Mar 16, 2021

Also, would you want to collab one week?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:16 Mar 15, 2021

First of all: this is impressive. Second of all: I love your bio so much. Third of all: YOUR NAME IS EPIC

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
19:24 Mar 15, 2021

First of all: THANK YOU SO MUCH :) Second of all: Thank you lol it took wayyyyyyyy to long Third of all: I LOVE YOURS TOO! <3

Reply

20:33 Mar 15, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
User_2443 0967
13:54 Mar 10, 2021

Please read my bio, Eleanor. It's important.

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
14:20 Mar 10, 2021

Done!

Reply

User_2443 0967
14:29 Mar 10, 2021

Great, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Ello! I just finished reading your long bio. I picked this emoji: 🏳️‍🌈

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
02:14 Feb 26, 2021

Hey! Thank you so much for taking the time to read that lol... Sorry it was so long. :)

Reply

Aww nah, it's okay. I luv reading long bios <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
💫 Sophia 💫
17:07 Feb 20, 2021

Here’s the link too Lunas part of the collab! https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/81/submissions/55736/. Also, I forgot to say this yesterday lol but I’m sorry for the rushed ending. We only had so much time to write and we really wanted to post as soon as possible. I might go back and add more but it’s unlikely. Also, any feedback you give is greatly appreciated! Especially about grammar and word choice and whatever would make the story better. Thanks that’s all. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

I really enjoyed this story Sophia!

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
17:02 Feb 20, 2021

Thank you!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.