GUESS WHO'S COMING TO TOWN!!

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Start your story with the arrival of a strange visitor in a small town.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Inspirational

     It was dusk with a slight wind blowing enough for the tree tops to sway and with bits of garbage floating around. Sue decided it was time to go in. She had to make lunches for her kids, her husband and herself. The kids were already in bed and her husband was in the study putting finishing touches on a presentation he had to present to a new client tomorrow. 

         Just as Sue stood up from her chair, she saw a person, or something that looked like a person. It walked like it was a person, but was it a person? It was hard to distinguish what she saw since it was farther down the street and it was now totally dark. Sue couldn’t be sure if she saw anything at all. As she walked into the house her husband noticed the look on her face. “Why so thoughtful?” he asked. “I’m not sure,” she said. “I thought I saw a person down the street, down by that vacant lot. But with the wind blowing and it being dark, when I looked again, it was gone.  Now I’m not sure I saw anything at all,”  she explains. “Do you want me to go have a look?” Her husband asks. “No need,” answers Sue. “It probably was something blowing in the wind.” “Well, if you’re sure,’ replies her husband. “I’ll just head up to bed. Goodnight.”

         As Sue continues making the lunches she can’t stop thinking that maybe she did see a person. She shakes her head as she shuts the lights off and goes up to bed. If she had looked outside she would have seen that same figure walking past the house and it looked like he was carrying something.

         The next morning as Sue was leaving for work, her neighbor, Miss Jones, asked her if she say anyone last night. “To tell you the truth” admits Sue, “I thought I saw someone but it was too far away to be sure. It probably was the trees swaying in the wind and also it was almost completely dark.”

         Sue’s co-worker invited her to go for lunch with her to the corner café. They go there regularly as a treat from bag lunches. Even though Sue had her lunch she agreed. Once they were seated and had given their order, they could hear talk from other tables. It seemed like the common topic was a stranger. Sue asked Betty, her waitress when she delivered their order what was this talk about a stranger. Then Betty told her that Police Constable Paul Marks found a man wandering around the central park early this morning. Since it was late the constable just brought him into the station and let him sleep in one of the cells. The constable wanted to wait until morning until his superior came to work. No one knows anything more, but you know how things get around, states Betty. I have heard that he is an escaped convict, a travelling salesman, since he was carrying a suitcase, or get this; someone suggested that he was a travelling preacher. So, we will just have to wait.  The constable usually comes in here before his shift; maybe I can ask him. But I did hear that Captain Winters was in a conference with the Mayor, so it must be important to get the Mayor involved, don’t you think? “Like you said,” replied Sue, “we will just have to wait and see. We have to get back to work. Thanks.”

         When Constable Marks came in for his usual, Betty made sure she was the one to serve him. “How are things Betty? “Asks Constable Marks. “Not too bad, but there is a lot of talk about the stranger you found. Who is he and what is he doing in town?”  Betty asks. “I really can’t say,” replies the constable. “I have to wait until I speak with the captain about what he and the Mayor talked about.” “I heard the Myer twins talking about offering to let him stay in their garden suite. They think it is the Christian thing to do. What do you think, Constable?” Betty said. “Like I said,” replies the constable. ”I have to wait until I talk to the captain. Have a good day.” 

         As Constable Marks walks into the police station, the receptionist tells him that the captain wants to see him as soon as he gets in. Constable Marks knocks on Captain Winter’s door and enters when bid. “As you know Constable, I have been with the Mayor about the stranger you found.” “Yes I know,’ states Constable Marks. “What decision was made?”  “What I am about to tell you is in strictest confidence. Do you understand Constable?” The Captain announces. “Yes, sir, strictest confidence you say,” replies the Constable. “Please close the door and have a seat,” states the Captain. “This stranger, whom I will call Mr. Lord, is not like he looks. He is an educated person who has money and is here on a mission. He is here to perform a sort of experiment. “What sort of experiment?” asks Constable Marks. “He wants to find out how people treat certain people, like how would they treat a rich person or a down and out poor person. He’s writing an article for a psychology journal.” “Where is he now?” asks Constable Marks. “I had an officer walk him to the café,” answers the Captain. There was a knock at the door. “This fax just came in about the stranger, sir,” announces the officer. “Thank you, close the door please. It looks like everything he told me pans out. “Where will he be staying?” Constable Marks asks. “The Mayor suggested that he stay with me for a few days since my wife is away. Mr. Lord (that is his real name) and I will discuss how long he hopes to visit our small town and take it from there.” states Captain Winters.

         A phone call announces the return of Mr. Lord. Captain Winters introduces Constable Marks then closes the door for a further talk with Mr. Lord. “How was your breakfast, Mr. Lord?” asks the Captain. “I must tell you, the few people I talked to were very friendly, especially the Myer twins, such lovely ladies. They asked where I was staying and before I had a chance to answer, they thought I would like to stay in their guest house. I didn’t know what to say at first, so I told them I would think about it and meet them tomorrow morning to give them my answer. Can you tell me about them?” asks Mr. Lord. “Yes, the Myer twins are Godly ladies. They believe their calling from God is to do good works, which they do a lot. Neither of them has been married, they thought it would take them away from doing their good works. If you do decide to stay at their guest house, I think it would be a good idea,” answers the Captain. “Great,” replies Mr. Lord. “I will wander around your lovely town and meet you back here about 5 p.m...” “That sounds great,” Captain Winters answers.

         During dinner at Captain Winter’s home Mr. Lord regaled him of his visit in their town. “I have had more offers to stay at people’s homes than in any other town,” states Mr. Lord. “I must say, your townspeople are of a special breed. I believe my article will get great reviews. I can’t wait to see what tomorrow brings.” “How much longer do you think you will be here?” Mr. Winters asks. “After I meet with the twins tomorrow and accept their offer of hospitality, I will play it by ear. Maybe they can give me a history of other residents. I will tell them I am looking for a place to retire. Remember I don’t want anyone else to know my true reason for visiting.” “You don’t have to worry about us, my wife and I will keep your secret, but I did tell my constable, you did say that would be alright,” replies Captain Winters. “Thank you,” states Mr. Lord, “but, if you don’t mind it has been a tiring day. The twins want me to meet them at the café rather early so I will see you in the morning. Goodnight.”

         Next morning after a quick coffee (tea for the ladies) and a crumpet, the twins take Mr. Lord on a short tour of the town on their way to their home. While walking they gave him a precise history of their town and how it got to where it was today and also who helped get it there. Mr. Lord was quite overwhelmed with information by the time they got to the guest house. The twins left him on his own and would be expecting him to come to the big house for dinner promptly at 5 p.m... After dinner they sat out on the porch and the twins continued to give him more history. They were interrupted by Constable walking past and Mr. Lord excused himself to walk and talk with him. He wished the twins a pleasant evening and he would see them in the morning, at the café.

         “Thank you constable, the twins are very sweet ladies, but a person can take in just so much information,” states Mr. Lord. “My pleasure, Mr. Lord,” replies Constable Marks. “That was why I happened to walk by. So, how do you like our little town so far?” It is almost too good to be true,” answers Mr. Lord. “After my conversation with the Mayor and wandering around on my own and now with what the twins have told me, I wish I would have decided to come here sooner.” “Thank you for the walk,” says Mr. Lord. “I’m ready for bed. Goodnight.”

         The next morning at the café the president of the bank approaches the table where the twins and Mr. Lord are eating. “Good morning Miss Myers’, forgive my intrusion, but I heard that we had a distinguished guest in town and I wondered if you would introduce me,” states the bank president. “Of course,” states the elder Miss Myer. Mr. Lord this is our bank president, Mr. Jones; Mr. Jones, this is our distinguished guest, Mr. Lord.” The men shake hands and state that each is pleased to meet the other. After a short silence, Mr. Lord excuses himself saying he has an appointment with the Mayor. “Good day to you ladies, as he turns to the twins and to you, Mr. Jones, as he shakes his hands again.” 

         As Mr. Lord walks towards the Mayor’s office, he decides that he has seen enough of this wonderful town that he has come to a conclusion. “Good morning Mr. Lord,” adds the Mayor. “How is your visit going?” “It has gone better than I thought,” announces Mr. Lord. “So well, in fact, that I have decided to leave on the afternoon bus; but before I do I have to explain something to you. Firstly, I apologize I have not been entirely honest with you about my visit. It is true, I am writing an article for the psychology journal, but that is minor. The truth is I am dying and only have a month or two to live. I have no family whatsoever, so I decided to visit several small towns to experience the people; their friendliness, their pride in their town, their rapport with one another. Your small town got very high marks. I wish to give you this cheque for any town improvements needed. And when I finish my article I will give instruction to my attorney to send another cheque when my estate has been settled. Like I said, I don’t have family and your town made me feel like a part of their family. I am happy and look forward to meeting my maker.”

         “On behalf of our town, I thank you tremendously for the donation,” states the Mayor. “It will be put to good use. I am sorry we had to meet under such circumstances. Can I take you to the bus station?” “No thank you, I wish to walk,” answered Mr. Lord.

June 04, 2021 03:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Cotton Candy
18:48 Jun 09, 2021

Nice job. I wasn't expecting Mr. Lord to only have a month or two to live, so that caught me off guard in a good way. Also, everyone has their own way of writing so I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it might be nice if you started a different paragraph every time someone new spoke. That's just my opinion anyway :) But again, I like the concept of your story and the title. (The title is what made me want to read your story.)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.