A Good Man is Hard to Find

Submitted into Contest #249 in response to: Write a story about a character driving and getting lost.... view prompt

5 comments

Funny Adventure

Mark glanced at the GPS screen, then at Emily. They had been driving less than twenty minutes and were already lost.

"You know, Emily, if getting lost was an Olympic sport, you'd be a gold medalist."

Emily shot him a playful glare. "Hey now, at least I'm consistent.

"Consistently lost," Mark jibed. She pulled over then swung the car around to head back the way they had just travelled.

"It's a good thing we're not on a tight schedule," Mark said. "Otherwise, we'd never make it anywhere."

Emily shrugged. "Where's the fun in arriving on time anyway? It's all about the scenic route."

Mark shook his head in mock disbelief. "Scenic route? More like scenic detour. Remember that time we ended up in the middle of nowhere trying to find that fancy restaurant?"

Emily grinned sheepishly. "Oh, you mean the one that turned out to be a food truck in an alley?"

They both broke out into laughter.

"Good times," Mark said. "Let's hope today's adventure doesn't involve any back alleys or dead ends."

Emily ignored his comment as her eyes flicked from the road to the GPS on the dashboard, tracking the cars movements.

"Your Female Map Disorder is in full swing, I see. You just missed our turn off."

Female Map Disorder was a term they had come up with whenever Emily was behind the wheel, a condition where she believed the maps had a mind of their own.

"I know where we're heading, Stanley Park. I've been there before," she giggled to Mark's mild concern.

"You know, by pressing start on the GPS, it will tell you where to go," Mark reminded her, his finger poised to press the bright red icon.

Emily's confidence in her sense of direction remained resolute. "Don't you dare, Mark! Or I'll tell you where to go!"

It had been two years since Emily passed her driver's exam. She had been struggling to get to work. Her bicycle, so old, needed repairs constantly. It wasn't until Mark suggested she should sit the driving exam once again that she felt ready.

Since then, her enthusiasm to get behind the wheel and get lost was bordering on an addiction.

Nearly every day, Emily jumped into her Nissan Juke with the intent to make wrong turns.

"Are you sure we're heading in the right direction?" Mark asked, eyeing the fuel gauge with growing concern.

"Of course, I'm sure!" Emily replied, her tone oozing with false confidence. "Trust me."

The background noise of Fleetwood Mac drumming began. Emily reached over and spun the volume knob. The pulsating rhythm of Tusk engulfed the car. Mark's fingers tapped on the pocket of his cargo pants in time with the music. The small velvet box concealed inside the pocket, he hoped, would bring much joy to Emily and himself.

Mark stole a glance at Emily. He wondered how she would react, whether she would say yes to his proposal.

Of course she will.

But uncertainty veiled his thoughts with the possibility of rejection.

What if she says no.

The thought sent a chill down his spine, and he suddenly felt like he was suffocating. He let the window down and sucked in deep breaths.

The next song began to play, Gypsy, and it brought back lots of memories. But one stood out more than the others. The memory of meeting Emily for the first time.

Dappled shadows had littered the forest floor and the crunch of Mark's footsteps on fallen leaves, soil and twigs left him feeling eager to soak up the beauty that awaited him at the top of the mountain. As he trekked through the forest, Fleetwood Mac played softly through his headphones.

He had done this hike many times before. It was his favourite. The towering trees always humbled him.

"Wow, this is just glorious!" A voice travelled toward him interrupting the music. "Just beautiful!"

Mark walked off the track and down the sloping side of the mountain and passed a thicket of bushes.

A woman kneeling low with her camera held at her eye was snapping photos of a bright purple cluster of flowers.

"You do know they are weeds, don't you? " Mark asked slightly amused, pulling his ear plugs out.

Taken aback the woman, slowly stood. Her long hair cascading around her shoulders as she swung the camera strap from around her neck. Mark had been smitten right at that moment.

"The trees on the hiking path are much more photogenic," He added. "We're supposed to stick to the path, did you not read the guidelines?"

She had looked at him then. Quizically, a playful scepticism in her gaze. Her lips quirked into a half smile and the tilt of her head spellbound Mark's world and since then he hadn't left her side. And now if they ever arrived at Stanley Park he would never have too. That is, if she said yes.

Up ahead Mark was surprised to see the landscape had transformed into rolling green hillsides. Black and white cows dotted paddocks and the road ahead curved sharply.

Emily broke the silence. "I didn't realise Stanley Park was so far away. I'm sure when I went there the other week it only took half the time."

Mark cast a sideways glance out his window. "We should turn back, maybe we took a wrong turn somewhere."

“We just need to go straight for a little while longer.” Emily’s voice was stubborn, matching Mark’s growing desperation.  

His palms grew clammy. He had rehearsed what he wanted to say to Emily over and over and now the words were fading. His mind fogging with anxiety.

As they rounded the curve, the asphalt changed to dirt. The car bumped along, kicking up clouds of dust and tiny stones in its wake. Just ahead, a herd of cows leisurely strolled along the road. Emily slowed the car to a stop and threw her hands in the air.

"I hope it's not much further, we're nearly out of fuel." Emily looked concerned at Mark.

Mark surveyed the landscape for any sign of habitation. But the cows were the only living creatures in sight.

His heart sank into the pit of his stomach. Should I just get it over with now. But then what if she says no. The drive home would be so damn awkward.

Mark turned to Emily. “There’s something I need to ask you,” he began, his heart flipping.

Slowly, the car took off again, but they hadn't gone far when the engine started to chug. The whole car jerked and spluttered then came to a complete halt.

"Oh no," Emily grimaced. "I'm so sorry, Mark. I should really start listening to you when you tell me to turn the GPS on."

Mark's fingers let go of the box in his pocket. "Well, let's start walking. Looks like we'll have to find a nearby farm house and ask for help,” Mark said, his dejection evident on his downcast face. “Don’t forget to lock the car," he said forcing a smile.

“What did you want to ask me?”

“It doesn’t matter, we better keep moving,” he said.

They trudged along the dusty road in search of help. After what felt like hours, they spotted a cluster of farm buildings in the distance.

"What brings you two out here in the middle of nowhere?" A man said as he wiped his hands on a rag. Mark stepped forward to shake hands with the farmer.

"We, uh, have run out of fuel," he said, gesturing in the general direction of their stranded car.

The farmer chuckled sympathetically. "It happens to the best of us. You're not the first ones to get stuck on these roads, believe me."

Mark nodded, grateful for the farmer's understanding.

"Is there any chance you might have some extra fuel, or could you take us to the nearest station?" Mark asked.

The farmer nodded. "I've got a tank of diesel out by the hay shed. Follow me, I'll grab a fuel can on the way."

Emily and Mark followed the farmer who filled a container of fuel from the old diesel tank. "Next time you're out this way, make sure to fill up before you hit these back roads. They can be a bit tricky, especially if you're not familiar with the area."

Mark glanced at Emily. "Thank you," Emily said her voice weak. "I will definitely make sure of it next time."

The farmer handed Mark the fuel and bid them both a safe journey.

Mark and Emily made their way back to the car as the sun burnt the horizon in bright orange and red hues.

"Alright, let's not tempt fate twice," Mark said as the engine purred contentedly. "Did you turn the GPS on this time?"

Emily's cheeks flushed. She reached for the GPS and punched in the address for Stanley Park.

Mark chuckled, "It's never boring with you by my side." The engagement ring felt like it was burning a hole in his pocket. In his daydreams, he would have already popped the question and they would have been enjoying a glass of wine overlooking the Peninsula.

Soon they left behind the winding country roads and the sparkling lights of the city drew closer. Finally, they arrived at Stanley Park.

"Ready for a stroll in the park?" he asked, his voice betraying a hint of nervousness.

Thousands of glowing fairy lights greeted them as they wandered hand in hand along the tree-lined paths of the park. Was this the perfect moment? They walked on. Passed the gardens to the Peninsula. The sound of waves lapped against the headland and the soft glow of the moon over the water was breathtaking.

Mark stopped and turned to face Emily. He took her hands in his.

"Emily," he began, his voice filled with love. "From the moment I met you, you've brought so much joy and adventure into my life. I can't imagine spending another day without you by my side."

Emily's eyes widened in surprise, her hand flying to her mouth in disbelief.

Mark's hands trembled as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the velvet box.

“Emily, will you be my wife?"

"Mark," Emily whispered, her voice choked with emotion. "Wow, I …um…didn’t expect this.”

She hesitated, her words hung in the air like a lead weight. Mark’s heart felt like it was tearing in two with uncertainty.

“It’s a beautiful ring, but…” Emily said slowly.

“But what?” he asked wondering to himself if she was about to reject him. I thought our relationship was strong.

“Marriage is a huge step, Mark. And I need to be sure that we are ready for this, that our relationship can stand strong through the ugly times, not just the good ones.”

Mark’s chest tightened. She is going to reject me.

“I’m sorry if I caught you off guard…” she continued as a tear slipped down her cheek.

Mark tenderly reached out to wipe away her tears, his heart aching with doubt.

He braced himself for the searing pain of her next words.

“I do love you, Mark and I know you want the same certainty as me — that we’re making the right decision and not rushing into anything.”

“I understand,” Mark said feeling defeated having understood the unspoken words. “Let’s take all the time we need.”

Emily smiled.

“Thank you, but there’s just one more thing.”

Mark’s brow furrowed in confusion. “What is it?”

“My answer is yes, but on one condition,” her smile widening.

“What condition.”

Mark’s heart skipped a beat.

“That we continue to get lost together, at least once a month.” She giggled and leaned into Mark.

“Deal.”

Relief flooded through him as he held her tight swearing that he’d never let her go.

“Let’s also make a pact never to run out of fuel on these adventures.”

“From now on, I’ll keep an eagle eye on the fuel gauge.”

May 08, 2024 04:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Chris Holland
00:37 May 16, 2024

Lovely story, life as it should be lived. Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
Vid Weeks
14:38 May 13, 2024

Loved the characters, I'd like more stories about them

Reply

Melissa Coleman
21:00 May 13, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
19:21 May 08, 2024

Glad to see a happy ending and an original way to propose. Nicely done.

Reply

Melissa Coleman
20:57 May 08, 2024

Thank you, but I just realised it is supposed to be suspenseful. I've updated it now. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.