God really doesn't want me to write.

Submitted into Contest #46 in response to: Write a story about someone who has just finished writing their first story/book.... view prompt

2 comments

Funny Adventure Fiction

There, I just finished writing my novel. Finally.

Took a few months but I got it done. Time for a snack.

I got up from my desk, took a little stretch then padded off to the kitchen grabbing a bunch of Oreos.

Heading back to submit my work, the sound of breaking glass penetrated the silent air. Following it, was a series of grunts.

Someone had broken into my house. Luckily to my side, my dad's steel putter lay in the hallway. I stuffed my double stuffed into my sweater pocket and armed myself.

What? You thought I was gonna walk inside there unarmed? Hell no. I'm an 18 year old girl who looks like a 12 year old who keeps forgetting to buy pepper spray.

I wonder what would hurt more, eye damage via spray or skull damage via golf club.

I'll go find out.

I head to my room, peeking in at first, to find two ninjas, one in dressed in black the other in white, beating the crap out of one another.

Well, the black one seems to be doing all the beating, the other is draped over my desk taking all the hits.

Dude, get up!

Now I regret those words cause as I thought it, the white ninja started using my laptop as a shield. It didn't last more than two hits before it split in half. It didn't last more than two hits before it split in half. It didn't last two hits before it split in half. I yelled to them, giving away my 'hiding spot.' "What the hell? You couldn't use the lamp or something?"

When they heard that, they both turned in my direction freezing mid struggle. I couldn't see their faces but they appeared mad. I didn't want to piss off ninjas (multiple) so I continued with, "It was just a suggestion."

The white ninja used the broken bits to hit the black ninja's arm causing him to cry out in pain. The white ninja takes this opportunity to tackle black ninja to the ground, pulling my bedsheet to the ground with them.

He uses the bedsheet as rope to restrain the other one.

"Are you gonna pay for any of this?" I find myself sassing the potential threat.

"Yes yes. I'm so sorry," he says with a British Accent, fishing out a wallet from his matching waistband, "I'm Clark, this is my brother Enis. -Will this cover it?" He asks, handing me a bunch of 100 dollar bills.

"Ugh." I try to contain my excitement at the sight of the money. "Unfortunately. No."

"Well, money is no object. I'll be back in about thre- four hours." He grunts as he throws his brother over his shoulder. "Do you have a front door?"

"Of course they have a front door you idiot." Enis spits.

"Shush you."

"Did. you. Shush me? The F-"

"No swearing in front of the lady." Clark hushes him as he walks out my bedroom door.

"I mean, it's enough for my laptop, but I don't know if my work can be salvaged from it. I've been writing a book for about a year and it's finally done." I show him a part of my hard drive I picked up, "Guess I have to start from scratch. Not to mention, folders and folders of ideas."

"Lucky for you, I'm kind of rich." Clark waves me off, "I'll have this fixed in no time. Come come. I have a vehicle waiting outside."

-----

"So are you a spy?" I ask, sitting between the two men in the back of a Tesla as someone drives us around. I have a plastic bag of laptop debri on my lap, Enis is still tied up and propped up on a seat, staring out the window silently. Clark keeps pulling his mouth piece down to sip champagne and answer my hundred questions.

They got me into the car, cause again, I did not want to piss off a ninja. Especially a nice co operative ninja.

"Yep. I work for the government, he works for the mafia." He looks over my head to scold his sibling, "Enis, you have got to stop trying to take over America. Not only is it a bad investment but but you can't even take care of a turtle... Remember you left Mr. Green in the backyard and he walked away."

There's a moment of silence then, the tires of the Tesla begin to screech, forcing us to be jolted forward.

"Is this one of your Mafia crew?" Clark groans as he reaches under his seat, pulling out a hand machine gun. "I should of invested in a removable roof top square thing." A series of gun shots fire causing me to drop to the ground, "I didn't think I'd need it."

He looks behind, "Oh by the way, these windows are bullet proof but stay there."

The door lifts up, and he hangs out.

_______

One Car chase scene and shoot out later.

We arrive at a secret liar. Which only authorized eyes should ever see.

So I got blindfolded and Enis had to be knocked out. However, Clark supposedly ran out of chloroform and Enis had to be knocked out the ole fashioned way.

No not bludgeoning him on the head.

By pinching his neck until he took little nap.

I was hauled off to the IT department to salvage my progress. There I was greeted by a very kind Nigerian woman in a lab coat. She took my bag of broken computer bits and mended it in about an hour as we talked about random stuff.

She booted up the device and waited.

Lo and Behold, I saw my folders appearing on the desktop screen. I thanked her, for her kindness then I went to go look for Clark.

I want to go home.

After searching around a bit, I found Clark's office. It was a steel door with Clark, written on it. No surname. Just Clark's Office.

I knocked on the door. A voice said 'Come in.'

______

Walking into the office was like walking into heaven. Not that I've ever been to heaven before but I assume they have a huge flat screen tv, cleopatra couch near a pool and a hammock too. Seated in the middle of a huge desk was the person I assumed to be Clark. A man with vitiligo skin and crew cut hair. He's quite cute. I'm 18, I can so get that.

His feet are up on the table, a bowl of popcorn on his chest as he leans back watching something on his desktop computer.

"Are you ready to go home Chestnut?"

"Chestnut?"

"Cause you're brown and I don't know your name." He gets up to walk beside me, "So what's your story about?"

"Nothing."

"Nuh huh," He grins, "I didn't go through all this trouble to hear Nothing. Spill."

"It's a book where people are locked in a place."

"Wow that's so descriptive. I can see it now" He rolls his eyes, as he opens the door for me.

"I'll send you a link or something." I walk ahead of him, not sure where I'm going but I know I don't want to talk about my book.

"LOOK OUT!" I feel a pair of hands around my waist and I'm pulled away from an oncoming speeding motorcycle. During that escape, the laptop I was clutching fell to the floor, allowing the motorcycle to drive over it smoothly.

But it didn't smash to pieces. Thank god.

But the guy riding the motorcycle didn't seem finished. He made a U turn, revving his engine loudly at us in a threatening manner.

All I could think was, 'Why can't you guys wait till I'm home and safe to infiltrate this base cause I don't have anything do with Government Vs Mafia stuff. I just want to leave!'

The vehicle came bolting at us, we dodged in opposite directions. My movement allowed my device to be within reach. However before I could grab it, the cyclist reached down to grab my foot while he was passing, dragging me across the corridor.

Other people in the building, now aware that this man/woman/ trans person (I'm not biased) had broken in to their secret base, were firing at us.

Bullets rained down on us, but unlike Stormtroopers, one of them injured the cyclist, knocking him off the bike. He let go of me as he crashed into the wall where the security guards arrested him.

But THen-

"Will You PLease just hand in your Assessment!" My Creative writing teacher's frustrated voice breaks me out of my story telling mode.

"I can't."

"If you're trying to say that ninjas took it. I don't believe you. Come on. I've always told you guys if You're gonna lie, Lie well."

"They didn't take it. It blew up two more times, now they have the parts under observation. Searching through my files to look for trackers and other stuff. You didn't let me finish." I retort. "Sometimes even if the truth is far-fetched, it doesn't mean that it's a lie! I demand a trial. Innocent until proven otherwise-"

The teacher lady groans, "I'll give you a month to bring it in."

"That's all I'm asking. " I smile at her, and go back to my seat.

June 16, 2020 20:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Annie Persson
21:36 Nov 24, 2023

I loved the James Bond theme.... until it was just a story. Brilliant! I love how her computer kept getting smashed. Great twist at then end! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keya J.
12:12 Jul 27, 2021

Quite a well-written story. It actually plays a movie like clip in the back of your mind and suddenly BOOM! It's just a story....inside a story. Btw, it was good, the way you tried to embed a few funny elements in the middle.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.