17 comments

Contemporary Crime

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“It was a perfect day.” For a nanosecond, I think it’s an auditory hallucination.

Part of the blood on his face, his arms, the Jimi Hendrix tee, is his. Only people with tubes and pipettes and machines will be able to distinguish that that isn’t.

The blood on my fingers, my “Keep The Immigrants/Deport the Racists” tee, is of the same composition, though as the minutes pass, the blend richens with fresh arterial. My skin is unbroken, but whatever perfection he found in this day is now draining onto the sidewalk and soaking through my shirt.

**

Not a breakfast guy. Cheerios, leftover pizza if I got it, maybe a McMuffin and one of those shitty hashbrown cakes if Im just freaking starving. They oughtta just give you fries – they got such a great thing going with those fries, but all they got at breakfast is this greasy shredded potato cake thing.

Like I said, Im not a breakfast guy. But I wake up this morning, and Im a breakfast guy. Eggs and bacon and, dude, some fried potatoes. 

Theres this place right down the block, Arabs or Greeks or something own it, and everybody says you gotta try this Greek omelet they got. So, I guess come to think of it they gotta be Greeks, right? So I get this famous Greek omelet, and its got onions and a ton of this feta cheese and gyro meat like in those big greasy sandwiches. The eggs are fluffy, and its like just the right amount of meat and cheese and not too many onions to ruin things. The toast, they got it just right, where its crispy on the outside but soft inside. And the potatoes, Jesus. American fries, thats what they call them. And God bless America, this morning anyway.

Mom used to make us fried potatoes on a Saturday morning. Not that hashbrown shit –sliced up, some thin and some a little thicker and some a little thinner. Crispy, soft, almost crunchy, almost melt-in-your-mouth with every bite. There used to be a dogfood commercial, they called it crun-chewy.” Remember that commercial? Oh, yeah, man, the bacon grease. Grandma kept big jars in the kitchen, just for the potatoes. Mom used vegetable oil – she said all that bacon grease would clog up our insides and kill us, even though Grandma died at like 95 and then only cause she fell down the porch steps.

The point is, it’s perfect. Hows that even happen? I mean, you can get a GOOD breakfast – the eggs are soft and buttery and nice, but the insides not cooked through, or the cheese is all melty, but the eggs all dry and rubbery. Maybe they didnt get the toast anywhere near the heat, or its like a charcoal what do they call it? Yeah, briquette. And this place, I mean, you could kinda feel the sticky on the table – theres like straw papers in the corner of the booth they missed the night before. But somehow, they’re doing magic back there. The perfect breakfast.

**

I can hear sirens, but then again, the church is about two blocks from the city complex and the jail, which correspondingly are within five blocks of every downtown bar and club. They doppler off presumably down Center, where there’s always a high potential for mayhem even on a Wednesday night. My meeting notes are by now drifting somewhere through the downtown or the plasma-for-money lot to the west.

Jim’s back from the hellish sidewalk collage of plastic and wood and wires and blood, with a single neutral twitch of the head. He settles a couple feet from me and the damaged man in the Hendrix shirt, on the short brick wall encircling a granite slab engraved with cross and a chalice and the legend Millington First Christian Church Est. 1867. The Rev’s fingers are clasped between his knees, in an attitude somewhere between patience and prayer. It’s where he lives. Mine are clawed and scarlet and glistening in the parking lot glow. 

**

And the day – THE DAY -- is perfect. You know what they say about Illinois weather. I step outside the Greeks place, and its like the three bears, well, the little bear, the baby one. Or was it the mom? Not too cool, not too hot, just right. The skys like a movie or something, almost TOO blue, like special effects, CGI.

So theres gotta be a catch. Well, you KNOW there’s a catch. Its just a matter what comes up. Like Wheel of Fortune, except theres no car or cruise or bonus turn or even 600 bucks to keep you in the game, just lose a turn or bankrupt or the transmission goes out or diabetes or fucking cancer or a bus outta nowhere takes you outta existence. 

At least I know todays catch. 

**

But there isnt one. 

They call while Im on the Blue Line to the Mall. Well, what was left of it. The Bergners where I used to stock shoes, the Wards where Mom could get crappy cheap pants my size, the Penneys where Grandma got her hair done with that nasty chemical shit, the Sears where Dad hauled me on a Saturday to look at tools hed never let me use even if the planet fell off its axis. All gone now – every September, they fill the ritzy-shitzy Macys with masks and monster fangs and fake swords and Harry Potter wands and phony blood, but only Penneys got a permanent makeover. Fitness City: No Blame, No Shame – The Gym Where We Know Your Name.” Sure, whatever.

Oh, yeah, my lucky spin. My breakfast streaks still going – the Blue was empty except me. No side eyes, nobody scooting away like I got the COVID, no psychos mumbling to themselves or me or the college kids who arent fucking smart enough to just keep their heads down and just make it all worse. So, anyway, its the same guy I talked to last week, guy who must have taken the company orientation class eight times or 100, so Im thinking the wheels going to come up Lose a Turn. 

But today, I spin the wheel, and somehow, Pat slipped a new slice between Bankrupt and Go Fuck Yourself. The people thing isnt as big a deal as it was last Thursday, which tells me those people people” they were so hot on hiring aren’t crawling out of the woodwork. Or at least not for that kind of money. And why was that such a deal-breaker, anyway, as long as I knew the machines? After Dad ran us off the Center Street overpass, I took a crash course. Crash course LOL. And he says Im their kind of people. I had to choke back a hearty snort at that one.

So I get off the bus at the Kohls stop with a new gig, thanks Pat, which is great because it was the last place in the ghost mall where I could get an alarm clock. One of those ones that sets itself, because otherwise you gotta have an engineering degree to set the thing for a six oclock wakeup. And a stop at the clearance racks. New job, new look. I mean, a new shirt comes with the new gig, even if health insurance doesnt, but while the wheels turning my way, grab onto the karma, right?

Its on the second rack in, its in my size, and its perfect. I mean, Jimi Hendrix was like a hundred years before my time, but Uncle Chet used to play his shit whenever we were over on a Friday night, and it made Dad just lose his shit. Dad said Hendrix was a druggie and something else Im not going to repeat, and he loved telling me about Grandpa slapping the shit out of Chet for putting the guys poster on his bedroom wall. It made Dad smile, and although it hit me as a pretty horrifying story, catching Dad in a happy mood was like getting a perfect plate of American fries or getting the bus to yourself.

It was PERFECT. I think about what Dad would say, or Grandpa. Nothing Id want to repeat here, Im sure.

Perfect. I find the mens room, back in the halls past the managers offices like they dont want you to take a dump in their mall, stuff Yoda in the trash. Jimi fits PERFECT. And while I’m on a roll, I hit the food court over by where the Sears used to be (I catch your fat ass TOUCHING my wrenches, Ill kick it into the next township. Hear me, Fatass?”). The steak sandwich place is gone, and the A&W, and the stuffed pretzel place, but the big pizza-by-the-slice chain and the Chinese joint are still holding the fort. Whenever Grandma had me nights Mom was on shift and Dad was playing cards at the Legion or maybe Uncle Chets, shed order us a Dominos or send me down the street for some eggrolls or chicken wings at the Jade Palace, and wed watch Wheel before shoving the incriminating evidence in the garbage can outside the back kitchen door.

I have both. The girl at the pizza counter is pissed she has to put down her phone and nuke me a sausage and pepperoni, but at least I dont get that Extra parm, Fatass?” look I used to get when the court was packed with something besides Old Navy and Spencers and Claires and Hallmark and Kohls folks with a half-hour to kill and no place else close enough to kill it. The pizza and eggrolls and orange chicken are perfect, better than youd expect at a ghost mall where most people had even forgot there WAS a food court. I hunch over the table, because Jimi.

The bus pulls up with a hiss right as the Kohl’s door whoosh shut. Don’t let the door hit you, Fatass. Dad never finished his witty warning — told me one time in a sunny mood he wasn’t sure a dozen guys with shovels could find where the Good Lord had split me. Mom never said anything when he was feeling “good” — beyond better me than her, she didn’t like to “enable” me.

If the bus driver notices my wardrobe upgrade, he doesn’t say.

**

A perfect end to a perfect day. One of Sarah’s signature dystopic catchphrases — some Christmas or Valentine’s, I’d get it sewn on a pillow or a life jacket or maybe a Kevlar vest. The bar slides a tick seemingly every day, and somebody’s always poised to sweep the leg again. I’d managed through another day without the Virus stitching into my DNA (knock on wood), the shirt writing any checks my fat ass couldn’t cover, or the Second Amendment shoving its barrel in my face. Now, the shirt is a write-off, the new alternator has wiped out yesterday’s freelance check, another couple defectives have joined the electoral war on democracy, and two different flavors of blood were congealing on me. But all my own O-positive is still IN me, so in the cosmic scheme…

The guy on the sidewalk, not nearly so much. The remnants of his perfect evening are scattered amid his fluids — and now I notice the last dregs of melted strawberry custard seeping from a spattered waxed paper cup, marbling into the arterial flow. One of the last fall days before Carl’s Custard West dropped the shutters and dragged the anthropomorphic vanilla cone into warm storage for the Illinois winter. A coin toss of sorts these days, with Mother Climate in such a chaotically mischievous mood. The neighborhood kids, the battered and disaffected West Side teens, the seniors from the Griffin and Millington Towers downtown, the embedded gentrified normally armored against all of the above, had found their mutual perfect.

He’s at the window ahead of me, juggling his guitar case as he digs for currency. On me, I tell the dead-eyed teen whose shift, or maybe her year, began with her patience already waning. He turns abruptly – in the low 6:45 sun, I catch a glint of metal stapled across his brow and a snake tattoo emerging from his incongruously crisp black tee. The antagonism of space invaded evaporates, and he grins. Not quite the “kid” I’d thought he was -- his smile betrays a few years or so out of the world, but the clarity of expression suggests he’s been back at least as many years.

The girl takes my order and my VISA with something resembling suspicion or maybe resentment, and “Trevor” and “Mike” shrug as she goes about my large double peanut butter. Trevor echoes Sarah’s words without an atom of irony. He and his guitar are headed uptown to plug a coffeehouse slot that unexpectedly came open with the overnight dissolution of the scheduled band. An act of impromptu kindness in the ice cream line is that perfect end to a day of perfect promise.

Now THERE’S a badass, he says suddenly. I track where he’s looking, looking away when the jock in the purple shirt looks back. Yeah, I admitted, he could probably take the both of us. 

No, bro, Trevor laughs -- Hendrix. May I love you away from the evils of today to the dreams of tomorrow, you know heaven has no sorrow. That’s what Jimi said. Got that taped on the back of my Yamaha in case I wanna eff it all up.

He draws a sip of his strawberry, looks to the sky like he’s going to kiss it, and pronounces it perfect. I accept my double peanut butter with an unrequited smile, turn back for the church lot, and tell him to kill it.

Two hours later, I’m truly hoping he did. 

**

“You waited for him,” I suggest as a pair of cop cars finally pull to the curb a few lengths behind Trevor and the shards of tomorrow’s dreams. The guy who’s been bleeding on me the last 10 minutes continues to study the tableau he’d helped create. “I saw you at Carl’s. You waited for him.”

“A perfect day,” he repeats, the second sentence he’s uttered since staggering over to collapse by the Tucson. Trevor got him in the knee with the Yahama case before he took it away and started clubbing the musician. When he spots me, key in hand, my notes dropping from my fingers, I think I’m dead. “I’m thinking, how do you end a perfect day? When I got good grades, Grandma would take me for a vanilla/chocolate twist at Carl’s. Never told my folks – Mom woulda given me a lecture or Grandma shit, and Dad woulda just…well.

“A perfect day. Then I see him, see him see me. I hear him, I hear him laughing. How’d he SEE me?”

Like an auditory hallucination. His or mine, I dunno. I lean in.

“Help me,” I beg. “How in the hell’d he ruin your perfect day?”

The man in the purple shirt turns, regards me in turn with surprise, amusement, contempt.

“He didn’t. YOU did.” 

March 08, 2023 17:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Graham Kinross
09:49 Mar 23, 2023

I take it the title typo is a pun? Almost perfect? Keep The Immigrants/Deport the Racists, to the bottom of the ocean? “everybody says you gotta try this Greek omelet they got. So, I guess come to think of it they gotta be Greeks, right?” You’d think but they could all easily be French. I went to a Wendy’s once, not one Wendy in the place. A Mark, a David, two Stevens, not one Wendy. So your guy is the camel always at breaking point and the next interaction is the last straw, or the opportunity he’s been waiting for to vent. Too common. I...

Reply

Martin Ross
20:57 Mar 23, 2023

It was a pun. And I actually have that T-shirt — a city councilman had it made, and it generated a lot of local demand for the print shop that did it. I wear it to Walmart and here in AZ among the old white fellow “snowbirds” — love the ugly glares I get from the Trumpers. Wendy is the one with the red pigtails dispensing the ketchup. She is slightly unhinged by her family’s ruthless quest to break the Burger Top Four. We have three local restaurants run by Greek or Lebanese families with heavily Greek-American menus. I wanted to illustrate...

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:56 Mar 23, 2023

If any experiment was fully successful we’d have had the cure for cancer a long time ago and interstellar travel would have followed behind the moon landings closely. Out of all of humanity’s shortcomings I think the fact that space travel is moving forwards so slowly is my biggest disappointment. I want that Star Wars/Star Trek moment where you hover over a new world and it’s perfectly possible to say “let’s go and have a look.” Even if you have to be in a pressurised suit with oxygen tanks. Humanity let me down on that one. Be careful aro...

Reply

Martin Ross
23:27 Mar 23, 2023

I despise and avoid the Trumpers. Traitors one and all, if nothing else to the theoretical principles of democracy and justice. Sadly, you never know what rock from which they’ll crawl…

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:27 Mar 24, 2023

Or the swamp that they want drained, presumably because they’re wrinkled like prunes from living in it.

Reply

Martin Ross
21:03 Mar 24, 2023

👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:41 Mar 13, 2023

Great story, loved the voice this was written in. You have a real talent for prose, loved some of the sentences. His life and family in Illinois greatly reminded me of growing up on the south side of milwaukee, esp the part about dad buying tools at sears. I wasnt super clear about the ending, but reading wendys comment i see this character is part of a series. Will keep an eye out for the next one.

Reply

Martin Ross
00:48 Mar 13, 2023

Thanks, Scott — I think I may have tried to be a little too vague here, especially about what Purple Shirt thought or imagined Trevor said at the ice cream walk-up (Fatass/Badass). This was an experiment for me — most of the Dodge stories are far lighter in tone

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
14:09 Mar 11, 2023

Martin, you've truly put together a thought-provoking piece here that was not only your usual quality of Mike Dodgian proportions (with plenty of your dark humor, which is unbeatable! :), but also a reminder of how long the scars of the past can travel with us. The Jimi shirt guy incorporating a beatdown as part of his perfect day (the title was, in fact, perfetc to describe this guy :) obviously stemmed from not only direct violence of some sort in his childhood, but also a litany of verbal abuse throughout his life based on his "wrong si...

Reply

Martin Ross
17:50 Mar 11, 2023

Thanks, Wendy. I wasn’t sure this was a way to go, especially with Mike, but I’m struck speculating how past abuse, self-hatred, and a childhood environment that accepts bullying seems to affect the patterns folks appear locked into as adults. Dodge has reconciled his personal worth against his lifelong struggle with weight and past bullying (I was lucky to have loving, reasoned parents), Guitar Guy has been through the mill for whatever reasons we don’t see, but had come out the other end willing to give it a good shot. Purple Shirt is a gu...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Martin Ross
18:45 Mar 12, 2023

And, BTW, thanks again for helping me fix the flaws in the wall. You’re an invaluable counsel and buddy!!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:46 Mar 12, 2023

Pfft flaws?! No flaws! :) My pleasure to read your stories, if anything! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
L M
13:03 Mar 29, 2023

I like the title. Great story. My wife phone wanted it to be greta, not great. Fitting

Reply

Martin Ross
15:46 Mar 29, 2023

Thanks. When I was a daily reporter and my hometown of Terre Haute came up, I often typed “Terre Home” out of some weird subconscious impulse. And I always unconsciously transposed Jospeh for Joseph — NO idea what that was about! On this title, I drew on the writer Harlan Ellison, who often misspelled (I may have misspelled misspell here) or corrupted title words to emphasize darkness and character disturbance. I appreciate you reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aoi Yamato
03:43 Jun 05, 2023

title typo? good story.

Reply

Martin Ross
04:16 Jun 05, 2023

Thank you. I misspelled the title purposefully to convey the chaos of the troubled character.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
09:09 Jun 05, 2023

ok. i see.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.