1 comment

Mystery Fantasy Thriller

“It must be a hundred degrees out,” I muttered as I pried the window open, though it didn’t do much. I was practically baking in an oven. Who knew what this humidity would do to my hair? 

I just sighed and picked up my phone, reading through my texts. They all said the same thing: I’m so sorry for your loss. I scowled and scrolled for something more original. Nothing. You’d think they could come up with something better, but no such luck. 

I sighed again and went about my business. Victoria would probably bring some of her lasagna. Hopefully, her handsome brother would join her. The thought made everything a little more bearable. 

Once the window was open, and everything had cooled, I carefully applied my makeup and looked in the mirror. A good mix of concealer and blush. Not just good. Perfect. No one would be able to guess what I’d done. My engagement ring glistened in the light. I smiled, thinking about how its match was at the bottom of the Mississippi River. The cops hadn’t found him, but I knew he was down there rotting. For the first time in a long time, I felt light and free. The ring on my finger wasn’t a burden anymore. 

Finally, I opened my front door and stepped into the sunshine. What a beautiful day, I thought. Everything was absolutely perfect. That is until I looked across the street and saw a smiling face. My heart nearly stopped. The man ran across the street before stopping in front of me. His long blonde hair swayed in the slight breeze. 

“Liza, oh, it’s so great to see you,” he exclaimed, taking my hand. I stumbled for words but remained my composure. Well, I let a few tears slip down my cheeks for dramatic effect. I wasn’t going to let anyone suspect a thing. 

“Grant,” I sighed, “it’s good to see you too. What happened?”

“The car went off the bridge, but I broke my way out. I’m okay, baby, I’m okay,” he answered and grinned before pulling me into a hug. “I wasn’t sure if I would see you again.” I faked a smile and tried not to squirm under his grip. 

“Let’s go inside. Everyone’ll be so happy to hear that you’re not dead.” Grant nodded, and I wiped the tears off my face. Rats, I probably smudged my makeup. Thanks a lot, Grant, I thought, and followed my no-longer-dead fiancé into the house we shared. Sure enough, everyone gave me expressed tearful congratulations at Grant’s return. When I was done with the arrangements, I walked into the living room to find Grant looking at our old pictures on the mantle. 

“Oh, Liza, I was so scared I would never see you again,” he murmured.

“It’s okay. You’re here now. You’re okay,” I soothed, rubbing circle on his back. He nodded and took a shaky breath. His brown hair met mine. “You’re okay.”

“I think I’ll go for a walk,” he decided. 

“Just make sure you come back to me, okay?” He smiled sadly and nodded. Then, he walked out. As soon as we stepped out, I ran to the window and peek out of the blinds. My body didn’t relax until his figure disappeared around the corner. Immediately, I fumbled for my phone and dialed the number. The man picked up on the first ring. 

“You failed,” I hissed. “He’s still here.”

“Impossible,” the voice replied with a thick accent. 

“Yeah, it’s possible. He was just here. You better make this right.”

“Ms. Peters—”

“No, you are going to fix this. I’m not going to stop until his body is six feet underground,” I snarled and hung up, not waiting for a response. I had hired that man for one job. If he didn’t deliver, the FBI would be hot on his trail. 

“Baby, I’m back,” Grant called, and I tensed. 

“In here,” I called back, clutching my phone tight. He ran through the doorway and swept me up in his arms. I couldn’t help it; I laughed. 

“I missed you,” he said as he sat me down. “I think we should do something special together. Just the two of us.” 

“What were you thinking?”

“Bowling and a night under the stars.”

“Sounds perfect.” Until then, I ignored the beating in my chest and just held my fiancé’s hand. 

At last, Grant and I headed to the bowling alley where we had had our first date. It seemed like so long ago. How far we had fallen. The bowling alley seemed warmer than usual. My hands were slick with sweat, and I could hardly grasp the ball. Grant just laughed and gripped my hand despite the icky-ness. Then, he stood behind me and led me through the motions of throwing the ball. With his body on top of mine, I tried not to shudder. He truly loved me. Such a shame.  

“That was fun, love,” I exclaimed when we finally walked out of there. It was dark, and I could just barely make out a figure in the shadows. Finally, I thought as Grant and I walked to the car. 

“Give me all your money,” the figure demanded, leaping from the darkness. Make it believable, I told myself and screamed. The parking lot was empty. There was no one to hear the cries. 

“Look, we don’t mean any trouble,” Grant said before casting me a look. His eyes said one thing: run, and I didn’t even think twice. I spun on my heel and raced to the car. The figure fired a shot, but I didn’t turn around to see what had happened. In the safety of the car, I just smiled. 

Imagine my surprise when I woke up the next morning to find Grant’s face staring back at me. It took everything I had not to grab the night lamp and kill him myself.

“Hey, baby,” he purred, brushing the hair from my eyes. Quick, think of something, I told myself. 

“I’m so sorry I ran,” I choked, feeling tears streaming down my face. Yes, yes, that will do nicely. 

“Don’t worry, Liza. You did what I wanted you to do, and your scream alerted some people passing by. I’m here now. I’m okay,” he answered. Darn you, I thought. 

“I’m so glad you’re okay,” I said, clasping his hand in mine. 

“I’ll go get us some breakfast from the store. Pancakes or waffles?”

“Definitely pancakes.” He smiled. 

“I’ll be right back.” With that, he swung himself out of bed and got dressed. I just sighed. Why I had said yes to that idiot, I had no idea, but when I had tried to break it off, my father wouldn’t hear of it. He said Grant was the best thing that ever happened to me, and his family would be good to me. Father wasn’t wrong. Still, I didn’t love Grant, so I had seen only one way out. 

Once Grant had left, and I was sure the car had passed the corner, I grabbed my phone. 

“How could you get this wrong,” I demanded once I heard the click. “He’s still here.”

“Something went wrong.”

“Well, stop it. He’s out now. Get him,” I snarled. 

“Of course,” he said and hung up. I sighed. I was paying that guy how much? And he couldn’t even get the job done. He couldn’t free me from the biggest mistake I had ever made in my life. Evidently, no one could. 

I sat on the bed, fiddling with my engagement ring. If all went according to plan, I could pawn it off and be rid of Grant forever. I’d finally be free. 

Time crept slowly as if sensing my unease. I looked at the clock again. An hour. He’d been gone an hour. Surely, that meant the man had succeeded. Surely, that meant I was rid of Grant forever. Then, I heard it. 

“Honey, I’m home.” I couldn’t help what I did next. I ran down the stairs into the kitchen where my husband-to-be was setting something on the stove. I grabbed the knife left on the counter and gripped it tight in my hand. 

“Why won’t you just die,” I demanded. I ran straight at him with the knife poised to stab him right in the chest. I didn’t mind the consequences. At least, I’d be rid of that ring on my finger. I’d be rid of my fiancé just as soon as that knife did its job. 

Except the knife never did anything. The blade only cut the air. 

“What the—,” I muttered, and someone cackled behind me. I whirled around, completely expecting to find Grant standing there laughing at me. Only, it wasn’t Grant. This man had slick black hair, and he wore a complete tux. 

“Oh, dearie, did you really think that would work,” he purred as the world around me dissolved into flames. Shackles bound my wrist. That’s when it came flooding back. The car. The crash. The bridge. The water rushing in. 

“Where-where am I,” I choked. The man just laughed again. 

“I suppose I haven’t officially given you the tour,” he said and spread out his hand. “Welcome to Hell.” 

July 30, 2020 21:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Aishani Gupta
15:52 Aug 03, 2020

Great work on the story and an awesome ending! It is so totally under - rated, but one of the best I've read on the topic! Good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.