27 comments

Thriller Mystery

“Well, she sure is punctual.” he said sarcastically, trying to remain patient. Having finished his third cup of coffee, he looked at his watch. 11:30 am, it showed. He thought of giving her a call, but just as he picked up his phone, there she was at the door, entering the cafe with her frizzy hair covering her eyes. Looking at this, he forgot about the one hour she kept him waiting, and went ahead to help her.


“Here, let me help you with the books.” he offered.


“Thank you so much Peter, and I am so sorry for being late. You have no idea what happened…”


“It’s okay Brianna,” Peter interrupted her in the middle. “First settle down, then talk. Here, I’ll order you a cup of coffee, so that you can calm yourself,” Peter said while walking towards the table with the books.


“Yeah sure, I can go for some,” she stopped when she saw three empty cups of coffee on the table and realised that it was very late. “I am so sorry Peter. What can I say? I got out of my house on time, but then my friend needed a quick favour. She asked me if I could deliver these books on her behalf, and as the address was on my route, I agreed. But the person had changed his address, so I asked around for his new address. One person helped me, but upon reaching his house I discovered a huge lock on his door. Apparently, he went on a trip for three days. Then, I came here as quickly as I could,” Brianna said it all in one breath.


Peter looked at her with a stern expression. Brianna too looked at him, but in confusion. Then, suddenly Peter started laughing.


The sound of the alarm scared Peter and he woke up. He looked around him and saw a picture of Brianna and him on the wall. The alarm was still going off. He realised that he was on his bed, and it was not real but a dream. Although, he knew it was a reality two years back. He dreamed of the day when he had his last good laugh, as the very next day brought him all the cries.


The sound of his knocking door startled him. He opened it to see Jordon, all dressed up.


“What’s up, man? Did you just wake up?”, Jordon asked.


“Yeah, man. I don’t know how, but my alarm went off late today,” Peter replied.


“It’s 10:50 am man. Quickly, get ready. We have to go,” Jordon said.


“Relax man. It’s Sunday,” Peter said.


“Dude, you used to be so punctual." Jordon replied.


As soon as Peter got ready, they drove to the same place where they had been going every Sunday, for the past three years.


“Ah, shit man! Look, it’s all sold out," Jordon said, frustrated.


“Well, we will come back again, next Sunday," Peter replied.


“You know man, these lottery tickets are limited. Only one hundred! What if we could have won this time? Half a million dollars dude. This could change our lives. And it’s an exhausting three hours drive,” Jordon said angrily.


“Well, my life has already changed. What else is left?”, Peter replied.


“I am sorry, dude," Jordon apologised.


“It’s okay man, I understand," Peter assured.


“I am saying this as a friend man, get over her. It has been two years now,” Jordon said.


“I didn’t get closure from her. I never even got to see her one last time,” Peter said with tears welling up his eyes. “I just remember, how we laughed about her being late at the cafe, and the very next day, the bus drowned, taking her with it. They never even found her body,” Peter broke down.


“Hey man, come here, come here,” Jordon said, hugging Peter to provide support. “Let’s go.” Jordon said, and both of them drove three hours back home.


Peter took a shower and sat comfortably on his chair. He sat there, listening to the silence and the ticking of the wall clock. A new sound caught his attention. He searched for the source of the sound. It was his phone. A notification popped out about a bomb being disabled by the agents of the Secret Service.


These incidents have been in the news, for quite some time now. Many thought these to be fake, but one such bomb exploded three months back, taking away twenty two lives. Reportedly, four such incidents were successfully prevented by the Secret Service, but they missed one.


He looked through the article and read a terrorist was caught by the authority. The terrorist said that they would not stop and they would plant another bomb next week and they are sure to succeed this time. Out of curiosity, Peter searched for the article which covered the explosion, that had occurred three months ago. Looking through the article, he saw many images as such burnt bodies, crying people, but one image caught his eyes: a woman Secret Service agent, helping a male colleague to get up from the ground. The resemblance of the woman reminded him of Brianna, but he quickly dismissed the thought, as he thought he was being delusional, as it was impossible and he could not be sure, as every Secret Service agents wear masks, with “SS” written on it, to hide their identity.


He slightly laughed at himself, for his previous thought. He also noticed that the mask of the man had fallen off of his face. Looking at his face, Peter realised something. His mind went numb, and he also started panicking. “Could it be him?”, Peter exclaimed. There were two bodies which could not be found that day: Brianna and the bus driver. Peter looked carefully at the image and he was sure that it was the same bus driver. He remembers his face vividly. “But, how can this be possible?”, Peter exclaimed. He tried to calm down himself. Then, he started to search for everything related to the Secret Service, and the bombings. It was very difficult to know anything about the Service, but he found a pattern in the targets of the terrorists. So, he thought of a plan. From the next day, he went to every possible target places and observed the people.


It had been four days, and he was starting to give up, but kept a count of the days. “Just three more days and the week is up.”, he repeatedly reminded himself. Suddenly, he noticed few people stealthily moving towards one direction. He followed them from a distance. They started to put on masks with “SS” written on them, and after sometime they stopped at one place. Three agents were engaged behind a dustbin, and few minutes later one of them nodded and gave a bag to fellow colleague. Peter figured that the bag contained the disabled bomb. He also saw two women agents, and his gaze was stuck on one.


She started going towards a changing room. Peter quietly followed her. He entered the room after her. He was facing her back. She took off the mask and bent to pick up a cloth, and noticed a shadow. She quickly turned around, pointing a gun at him.


Two years, of convincing himself of her death, two years, of dreaming about their last laugh together, and there she was with her frizzy hair covering her eyes. He was filled with many emotions, but could not stay on one. Even Brianna could not hide her emotions. They both stood there, in silence, looking at each other. To break the silence, Brianna said, “Look Peter, I am really sorry. I didn’t have any choi…”


“Oh to hell with your sorry. Shut up and come here,” Peter interrupted her in the middle and advanced towards her. He grabbed the back of her head, and brought her towards him. He kissed her passionately, and she kissed him back, with the same passion. They kissed for a long time and when their lips left each other, they saw tears welling up each others’ eyes. After a few minutes of hugging Brianna asked Peter, “Can you keep a secret?”.


August 18, 2020 19:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

27 comments

This is one of my favorite stories I've ever read, you're an amazing author for sure! I felt so heartbroken for him when Peter said she drowned in the bus, I felt surprised and happy for him when she wasn't dead after all. You're really good at making the reader feel all kinds of emotions! Keep writing, the ending was amazing.

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
18:09 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for your lovely words ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:31 Aug 27, 2020

This is a really good story, i liked this one. If you're wanting some type of advice/feedback all i can really say since i'm usually bad at this is that you should just keep making more stories. they'd be great just like this one, i can tell. i'm going to give this a 10/10 ^^ i was also wondering if you could maybe check out "Goddess child" i'd love to see what you have to say for it ^^

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
18:05 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much for this lovely comment, and I am really sorry for the late reply, I'll surely read your story😊😊

Reply

B. W.
18:29 Sep 01, 2020

No problem ^^ its alright i know you might have been busy or something so its alright. and thank you i can't wait to see what you have to say ^^

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
18:53 Sep 01, 2020

I have given, have a look. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
18:58 Aug 23, 2020

This was impressive! The first part set up the relationship between Brianna and Peter perfectly. I'd say this is worthy of a win, super impressive for a first story.

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
14:09 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you! Your words meant a lot to me. 😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:04 Aug 23, 2020

Hey, great first story! I really enjoyed this, especially the beginning. Awesome job! Keep writing!

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
18:09 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:43 Aug 23, 2020

Well written with interesting plot! Keep writing. Waiting for your next story!

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
15:44 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for reading!😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
09:00 Aug 23, 2020

An interesting story with a twist at the end; I enjoyed reading this, Kingshuk! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Yellow Light"? Thank you :D

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
14:38 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks for reading! Sure, I'll give it a read. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
15:08 Aug 21, 2020

Wow!! Amazing story. Well done. Keep writing. Can't wait for your next. I believe you can still edit your story. These are some technical errors you made. If suggest you to change them. 1)“First settle down, then talk. Here, I’ll order you a cup of coffee, so that you can calm yourself.”, The ending mark should be a dot only if the sentence is over. If not you should keep a comma. The correct way to write this sentence is to “First settle down, then talk. Here, I’ll order you a cup of coffee, so that you can calm yourself," The sam...

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
18:43 Aug 21, 2020

I am glad that you enjoyed my story. Hope you keep coming! I've made changes as per your suggestions and as requested, I've mentioned the errors in your story. Hope that helps and I too hope to read more from you. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:23 Aug 20, 2020

The story was really really heart touching ❤️ Just the grammar needs to be focused a little and then it would be AWESOME!!! 🥳👍

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
18:49 Aug 20, 2020

I am glad that you like my story and thank you for your advice! 😄😄😄 And I did some changes in punctuation as advised 😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
19:33 Aug 19, 2020

Hi Kingshuk - here as requested! This was a really interesting story and I thought the twist at the end was fascinating. I agree with Pragya - you should check out Grammarly. Lots of people seem to have used it and it seems to have helped them. There is also a blog post on Reedsy about dialogue and how to use it effectively - https://blog.reedsy.com/how-to-write-dialogue/ is the link. I enjoyed this and feel like you have a lot of potential. Keep writing!

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
18:48 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you for reading and for sharing the link! I am glad that you have enjoy it. Keep reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
11:48 Aug 19, 2020

The story was great! I think there were some grammatical errors in there. I recommend using a grammar app for sorting those out. Coming to the story, it was written well, and the prompt was interpreted beautifully. Great job, hope to see more of your stories! :)

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
14:58 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much for reading my story...and could you suggest me some grammar app 😉

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:05 Aug 19, 2020

You could use Grammarly. I haven't used it personally, but it seems to work extremely well, and it's free, so you could try it. You're most welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Naman Gupta
08:22 Aug 19, 2020

Good imagination and story delivery👌

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
09:10 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks bro. Very nice of you. 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sayantika Pal
05:57 Aug 19, 2020

Nice piece of writing....keep up with the good work .😊👍

Reply

Kingshuk Kundu
09:09 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much. I hope you enjoyed it. 😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.