Like the Skin of a Snake

Submitted into Contest #194 in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “The short end of the stick.”... view prompt

24 comments

Fiction Crime Inspirational

Gunshots, then a loud crash, then the doors to the casino flew open, a man ran out, gun in hand, three men in pursuit, then more gunshots, the man crumbling into a shivering heap on the wet pavement under the yellow streetlight, rain mixing with dark blood, then the heap stopped shivering, and that was that.


Not my problem.


My deal with the Agency is I only take cases involving good people. Well, the better ones, anyway — no-one’s all good.


Inside the casino, I headed to the Night Guard’s office.


“What’s the rumpus?” I said.


The Night Guard was tall and thin and old, with white hair, long earlobes, bushy eyebrows, big nose, saddlebags under his watery blue eyes, the flushed skin and broken veins of a drinker. His hands were shaking.


“Who are you?” he said.


I showed him my credentials.


“Frank Homer Yarn, P.I.,” he read, then gave me a watery look.


“Call me Frank.”


His hands were still shaking as he handed the credentials back to me.


“Mr. Moss bring you in for this?” He waved his hand in the direction of the commotion outside the door. “Already? It just happened.”


“Different case,” I said and shut the door behind me. “Mind if I sit?” I sat down in the straight-backed chair across from the desk.


“Don’t mind if you do.” He sat down behind the desk. “Don’t mind if I do myself.”


He reached into a drawer, brought out a bottle of whiskey, half gone, and two glasses, poured them both three-quarter full, then took a long sip.


“Go ahead,” he said. “It’s on the house.”


“I don’t drink.”


“Suit yourself.” He took another sip. “Me, I drink too much, I know it. So, on average, we’re good.” He chuckled. “Name’s Ike. Ike Fletcher.”


“Good to meet you, Ike.” I looked around the small office. He kept it neat and tidy. There was a raccoon on top of the tall file cabinet.


“I stuffed that one myself,” Ike said. “It’s sort of a hobby, taxidermy.”


“You made him look alive.”


“Yup. That’s the trick. You gotta pose’m life-like.”


“He looks startled.”


Ike laughed. “Wasn’t me who shot him, so I guess I don’t know if he was startled, but that’s how I imagine him, his last moment, catching sight of the gun barrels. He got the short end of the stick.”


“You never know when it’s coming.”


“That we don’t.” He took another sip. “They shot that poor bastard, didn’t they?”


“I saw it happen.”


“What’d he go do something so stupid for, trying to rob Mr. Moss's casino?” Ike shook his head.


On the wall behind him, I spotted three frames. Two were photographs — a woman, a young man. 


“Your wife,” I said. “Your son.”


He took a longer sip. The glass was down to a quarter full.


"Frank, do you ever regret — " He shook his head. “Never mind. How can I help you? What’s your case?”


The third frame on the wall held a medal.


“He died in the war,” I said, pointing to the picture of the young man. “And they gave him a medal for it.”


“Lot of good that medal did him. He traded his life for a bit of metal and a ribbon. He got the short end of the stick. I always wondered, afterwards, if he saw it coming. Did he catch sight of the gun barrel that did him in? Poor Jonah.” He drained the last slug of whiskey, put the glass down, started reaching into the drawer for the bottle, then: “You really don’t want that?” pointing to my full glass.


I shook my head. “What about regret?” I said.


“Thing about regret,” he said, pulling my glass towards him, “it’s a liar. ‘If only,’ regret says, and then comes the lie. ‘If only you could have stopped Jonah from enlisting,’ but that was a lie, he couldn’t be stopped. ‘If only you could have been there more for Ellen,’ but she made her own choice, couldn’t keep going, not with our son gone. ‘If only you could have kept it more together afterwards, stayed off the booze, then you wouldn’t have lost every job,’ but then I wouldn’t be here, working for Mr. Moss, talking to you. Talking too much, that is. Now, about your case, Frank, how can I help?”


“I’ve got something I need to show you,” I said and stood up. “Out there.”


“Okay.”


In the lobby there was a large group congregated over by the entrance to the roulette room. The emergency medics had rolled up a stretcher. There was blood on the floor.


“Somebody caught a bullet,” Ike said.


“Yep.”


“What did you want to show me?”


“Let's go outside.” I walked out, held the door open, motioned him to come.


“Look out there, across the street,” I said.


Two figures were waving. A young woman. A young man.


“Ellen?” Ike’s voice was choked. “Jonah!” He turned to me.


I nodded.


“Oh.” He said. “Somebody caught a bullet, all right. I remember now. It's me on the floor in that pool of blood by the roulette table. I got the short end of the stick this time.”


“That’s right, Ike. If you want to, I can take you back there, let you see.”


“No need. I’ve seen carcasses before. They ain’t life-like. Just the skin the snake left behind.” He waved at his wife and son on the other side of the street. “So you’re —?”


“Death? No, I’m just someone who helps you across. The name’s my own private joke: ‘Frank Homer Yarn’, it’s an anagram for ‘Kharon, Ferryman’.”


“How do I get across?” He stared at his wife and son, still waving from the other side of the road.


“It’s easy. You’ve already done the hard part — the living, the dying.” I held out my hand, palm up. “Between you and me, this isn’t strictly required, but it is customary to give me a coin. Any denomination. I’m not choosy. Then just walk across.”


Ike reached in his pocket. “Will a casino token do?”


“Perfect.”


He handed me the token, then set out across the street. And as he did, the years and cares and regrets fell off, like the skin of a snake, and he became the young man his wife married.


They embraced under the yellow streetlight, the woman, the man, and their son.


It had stopped raining.



April 16, 2023 13:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

Laurel Hanson
15:07 Apr 22, 2023

This is fantastic. Interesting opener in one long sentence packed with the preliminary action and then "that was that." The foreshadowing with the taxidermy where the raccoon is startled by death is super, but I have to say, I really liked the discussion about regrets. It lends it all meaning, leads to the conclusion, but doesn't give it away, so of course, the twist caught me off guard but was perfect. This is good.

Reply

Geir Westrul
16:21 Apr 22, 2023

Thank you, Laurel, so glad you liked it, and even better that the twist caught you off guard.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
00:29 Apr 17, 2023

Oh Geir…another awesome story from you. You are quickly becoming on of my favorite Reedsy writers. I love “tight” writing, making every word count. Couple that with plenty of dialogue, minimum narration and bingo! Not to mention that very cool explanation of what was really going on in this story. And Kharon? So clever 👏👏

Reply

Geir Westrul
13:23 Apr 17, 2023

Thank you, Viga! I do love "tight" writing, although it' is actually hard for me. I tend to sprawl. So lately I've challenged myself to work on that. I'm so glad you liked the story. I had fun coming up with the anagram for Kharon, Ferryman 😜

Reply

Viga Boland
14:01 Apr 17, 2023

I think “sprawling” initially is the best way to write. Then go back and tighten everything up. The alternative, writing and editing simultaneously is painfully slow. It raises my blood pressure!

Reply

Geir Westrul
14:07 Apr 17, 2023

Yes, I agree, keep the "ugly first draft" process separate from the final editing. Let that first draft sprawl, if it want's to.

Reply

Viga Boland
14:16 Apr 17, 2023

You bet! That’s how I wrote my first few books: writing what came naturally. 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
04:02 May 29, 2023

Wow. This is excellent writing. POW. Right off the bat you're in the soup. The bit about the racoon was freaking classic. And brilliant. So realistic. I was interrupted halfway through the story by my 94 year-old mother, and this story forced me to be rude to her so I could finish the story. That's how good this story was. (Sorry Mom.) I hope you're happy, Geir. Makin' me rude to my dear old mom.

Reply

Geir Westrul
14:53 May 29, 2023

Sorry, Ken's Mom! 😝 Ken, I'm so glad you liked the story, even though I didn't mean to make you ignore your 94-year-old Mother. The racoon bit (as I've replied elsewhere in these comments) was one of those random inspirations. It turned out to be both fun, weird, and then added depth through the comparison to the son's death. Thanks, Inspiration-Muse!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:42 Apr 21, 2023

Ah, that's a cool twist! The story had a good noir feel, and Ike's musings were well put together. I particularly liked pairing the raccoon's final moments, which was darkly upbeat, with the last moments of his son, which was very much not upbeat. This stresses a sardonic attitude, which fits the sad drinking down memory lane. Arguably a happy end, despite the death.

Reply

Geir Westrul
22:50 Apr 21, 2023

Yes, Michal, I felt this was a happy ending story (despite the death, or maybe even because of it). In the pantser mode, the raccoon made its way in without me knowing where that was going, and I actually went back afterwards and added in the connection to the son.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
22:16 Apr 20, 2023

Very enjoyable! :)

Reply

Geir Westrul
11:54 Apr 21, 2023

Thank you, Lilah! I'm glad you enjoyed it. This was an enjoyable experience to write as well. Sometimes a story comes easy, and this was one of those.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
21:43 Apr 19, 2023

Great writing!

Reply

Geir Westrul
17:26 Apr 20, 2023

Thank you, Mary!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
04:54 Apr 17, 2023

Hi Geir What a story. Your opening sentence packs a huge punch. It’s very long, but packed with action. I like the way all that action happens and the narrator kind of just ignores it. It’s quite surreal from that set up. We know something is not quite right here. I wasn’t sure what it was though, you managed to hold all he clues very tightly and only allow each bit out a little at a time, until the big reveal at the end which makes it all make sense. Well done, great story telling.

Reply

Geir Westrul
13:24 Apr 17, 2023

Thank you, Michelle, yes it was an interesting process, planting just enough clues, and keeping the pretense that we had a hardboiled PI on a "case", the "Night Guard" perhaps just a witness or some other minor player, when in reality he's the main event.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K Lark
00:50 Apr 17, 2023

I completely agree with Viga! Excellent story! I love the focus you put on the characters and showing us who they are through their conversations. I'm looking forward to reading your next story! Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Geir Westrul
13:28 Apr 17, 2023

Thank you! This was a "discovery writer" (aka "Pantser") story, where I had the general idea, but found my way through the writing. For example, the stuffed raccoon was just a random thing, and then it became the connection to both the son's death in the war and the way Ike didn't need to see his own dead "carcass". Even the "skin of he snake" bit came from thinking about taxidermy, triggered by that random raccoon on top of the cabinet. It's funny (and fun!) how creativity works.

Reply

K Lark
23:15 Apr 19, 2023

That's amazing! I love when that happens. You're just like, 'Brain, here's a thing," and it makes an entire plot for you as you write. Great job, your brain!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
01:51 Jan 18, 2024

Not what I was expecting. After all of the grim reality the end is sweet, a real turnaround. Personally I would have broken up the first paragraph into shorter sentences but that’s my only issue with this. The ferryman’s name did seem conspicuously weird. Great story Geir.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Annie Persson
19:42 Oct 21, 2023

This is so thought-provoking, I love it. Great analogies throughout and brilliantly written. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chris Miller
18:27 Apr 24, 2023

Nice work, Geir. The old rogue paying his way with a chip was a nice touch which also suggested he'd pocketed it, along with the "on-the-house" whisky.

Reply

Geir Westrul
02:06 May 06, 2023

Yes, I think you've read Ike Fletcher right, a bit of a hustler.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.