The Kaloquin Crystal Cemetery (Sequel to The Mug Shop)

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Start your story with two characters deciding to spend the night in a graveyard.... view prompt

0 comments

Friendship Fantasy

The Kaloquin crystal cemetery, wasn’t really a cemetery. It was closer to a memorial, for fallen heroes, and those that deserved to be remembered. No one was actually buried there.

Jace and Lazin wandered through, gazing at the monuments constructed of pure, shining crystal. Some were simple pillars, with names and dates carved on. Others depicted scenes from history and some were beautifully clear statues, painstakingly carved with the images of the fallen.


The two boys were waiting, they had taken their tests today. The ones that would determine whether or not they could join their people. Whether or not they could achieve the future they dreamed of.


As they waited, Jace thought about why he had taken the test, what it meant and represented. He honestly hadn’t before and he wondered about it now.


Lazin’s, Dahlia’s, and his people.


The Klazkeen. They were a race that once upon a time, had ruled the earth.


They were strong and blessed with powers and control over nature. They were tasked with keeping the balance between humans and the other races of the world.


They had for a millennium; the humans were the most dangerous. They didn’t have magic or claws, they weren’t unmatchably strong, instead their tongues were sharp as steel and their souls as changing as the tides. But warnings often go unheeded.


It was the humans that brought the Klazkeen to their knees.


Their two peoples had considered each other friends. Their leaders met often and many people considered themselves apart of both races.


Slowly the Klazkeen began to rely too much on the humans, going to them for advice, for money, for strategy. Slowly, ever so slowly, the human kings and queens destroyed them.


Letting whispers that the other races were attacking humans, flow freely. Letting small stories of simple fights escalate into full out battles.


The Klazkeen alarmed, began to pull the humans away from the other races. Distancing them, casting protections that made it difficult, if not impossible for magic to even touch them.


While the humans enjoyed their protection the Klazkeen’s magic started to sputter, spells would die half way through, their control over the elements all but faded and sickness started to take them.


The earth was angry, the Klazkeen had practically granted invulnerability to the humans. When they were only supposed to keep different species at peace. They had played favorites, now they were paying the price, because the earth didn’t play favorites.


The Klazkeen had to do something, they had to restore balance. They could not undo what they had done, so instead of giving, they took.


Removing and taking the humans ability to see, or even remember anything supernatural.


The Klazkeen still kept the peace on the earth, but they learned from the humans. Where once nothing was, weapons now rested, strapped to their belts, resting next to hands meant for peace.


But nature was angry, it stripped the Klazkeen of who they were, taking their long lives, and effortless control. No, now their powers and abilities had to be earned.


So, they trained their children, prepared them, and if they passed the tests and trials, they would be restored to what they were meant to be.


They would join one of seven squadrons, protect the other races, and do everything in their power to not monumentally mess up.


Dahlia had passed, joining the Iron Sword squadron. She had taken her test almost two months earlier, and Jace and Lazin waited to know if they would soon be joining her.


Dahlia came hurtling out of a doorway, tackling them as she shrieked.


“You did it! You did it! I knew you losers could do it.”


Jace and Lazin grinned like fools. They had passed.


“Still want to runway to Bosnia?” he asked Lazin.


Their laughter intertwined as the crystals all around them began to glow softly. Wrapping around the boys as it slowly restored what was lost.


The three shared a grin as the magic sunk into their bones.


Surrounding them, filling them with power and light.


It was disgusting.

Thankfully they wouldn’t have it for very long anyways.

Balance? Who cared about balance.

They could do whatever they wanted now.

And they were going crack the world on its side.

And watch as chaos reigned

For chaos there would be.

Because the three newly magicked Klazkeen knew how to remove the spell, that both protected humans and restricted them.

This was going to be so much fun.


There were once three children

Strong and bright

Their eyes shone

And their laughter twinkled


Yet their smiles

Slowly

Chipped.

Like broken glass



They found themselves pulled.


The boy with raven black hair

He found comfort in the dark.

Surrounded by something

That understood him


He followed

It’s deadly song


Letting it slowly chip away at his soul

Leaving nothing but cold darkness

That wanted only to consume

And found solace only

In those like him

Those that had no souls


Yes, Lazin liked the dark.


The girl with dark pink hair

Had always hated light

It blinded

It took away people’s sense

And promised false sympathies


Life was easier

And taking it?

Childs play.


She arrived more slowly

More hesitantly

But once she started

She knew she would never stop

Who would ever choose

A fading light

Over this?

Yes, Dahlia always hated the light.


Her smiles smelled like roses

Toxic and sweet

Killing with every breath and word

Until the bodies piled up



The boy with earth brown hair

Had always had a dark side

He loved the scents of fear

Of pain

Loved causing them even more


His eyes glinted darker

Then

The blades he carried

The ones he used

To quiet anyone, he pleased

He used to marvel

For how easy it was

Just a line

Across the throat

And silence would reign


The dark boy was the first of the three

Waiting long before

The others could even imagine

Because the boy of alley daggers

And blood drenched smiles

Had never stepped onto the path

Had never followed a trail

No

He had seen the edge long ago

Because he hadn’t stumbled

Or jumped

No

The boy had seen it

His grin more ragged than broken glass

When he did

Because he closed his eyes

And fell

He had fallen

And Jace had no intentions

Of ever stopping.

October 31, 2020 00:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.