0 comments

Adventure Fantasy Mystery

It started with an ordinary day, or at least that’s what I told myself. I can’t remember much of what happened before I saw it. The window in the woods. Sounds like a fairy tale I know, like any moment a magical creature is going to whisk me away to a tea party or I’ll stumble upon an empty cottage. But nothing like that happened. In fact it was quite anticlimactic. All that stuff you watch on tv where aliens or evil beings manifest their forms through a portal is just as it’s labelled - fiction. What I saw was… Well I suppose I should start at the beginning.

As I have said I don’t have a clear memory of events that lead up to the discovery of the window. I must have had a hearty breakfast and decided that I was in need of a good long walk. Or perhaps this was a usual route that I take every morning. I think I had a dog. Honestly the closer I came to the window the more my memories began to swirl and fade. Like smoke whirling in the air, its wisps snatched away by the breeze. I can’t recall how I was walking in the forest. But I just remember having a sole purpose of walking. 

Then I came across the window. It wasn’t much. A wooden frame running along a single pane glass split in a grid of four. If you came across it your eyes would flit over the sight it’s so commonplace. Except for it suspended mid-air with no wall surrounding it. I took a step back when I first noticed it. I squinted at it to make sure my eyesight was not mistaken. I closed my eyes and opened them again. Massaged the eyelids, did double takes, pinched my arm. Nothing made the window disappear. Finally I inched my way forward. I examined the ground directly below the pane and could find no trace of stilts or anything which could keep it suspended. The same was the case for above the window. Then I circled around to find a trace of a wall but again could find none. Even the fail safe technique of waving my hands through the gap of air around the window. Nope. Nothing man made kept it floating in the air.

For several minutes I just stood regarding the window. It didn’t look special - just an ordinary window suspended in the air like a UFO. Maybe that’s what it was. Some sort of military experiment to test out new equipment. I heard there was a base somewhere close by. Where did I hear this from? Someone must have told me. A friend perhaps, work colleague, am I married? I couldn’t hold onto the memory, it slipped from my reach. It was a fact that I knew was true as the grass is green and there are seven days in the week. I shook my head, giving up the folly of remembering and looked at the window once more. To my surprise there was now a soft orange light glowing out from the pane. I did another quick sweep behind the window but there was nothing to indicate where the light came from. I turned back to the window and saw that it was open. Someone or something was inviting me in.

It was only at shoulder length so I was able to peer through the opening with ease. Inside (if I was using the term correctly) was a simple room furnished with a table, two chairs, a wide shelf stacked with books and a wax candle burning on a stand in the corner. From my viewpoint I could see no indication that there was anyone occupying the room. It looked safe. I gave a shrug of what the hell and clambered inside. The room was warmer than I thought and when I put my hand out the window I could feel a stark difference in temperature. I could only relate the change as placing your hand in cold water on a warm day but in my case the temperature was inverted. I turned away from the window and began to pace the room. At least it felt real.

But how was this all possible?

Behind me the window slammed shut and the wind sent the flame to dance. I turned to find someone with arms crossed looking at me angrily. With the fluttering light I thought they were a child given their height was no more than five feet. As the light began to settle however I realised that it was a grown human - a dwarf. “So the deserter decides to come back after all,” they intoned. “I remember you saying that you’ve grown tired of this life.”

“Excuse me?” 

“Oh no I’m not done with you yet. What did you say to me that night? Fools belong in cages. Well this doesn’t look much like a cage anymore to you does it?” The dwarf gestured around the room but their eyes were locked on mine.

“Look, I think you must have me mistaken for someone else. I just found a window hanging in the air on my morning walk and I decided to investigate. If I bother you so much I’ll just leave.” I made a move toward the window but was interrupted by the dwarf blocking the way.

“Nobody leaves. Not ever. But you managed it, somehow.” The dwarf gave a low chuckle. “And now the deserter decides he wants to come back. To play pretend. But didn’t you say once that ignorance is the key to our own destruction?”

“I don’t remember.”

I decided it was best to go along with whatever fallacy this dwarf seemed to believe in. I might even make it out of here in one piece. To my left I noticed a small door carved into the wall. That’s my way out. I just had to keep them talking long enough to make it there.

“Who are you anyway?” I asked.

“Who am I? Who am I? Why I am the keeper of the gates, master of the lock, the guardian to the entrance of Eraveil . I go by many names. I have lived for centuries past and will continue on for more…..”

Two steps to the left. Then another and another. The dwarf wasn’t paying attention, I realised. They’re too busy flattering themselves.

“...most people never care to ask. And you? You who waltz in here again showing interest.” 

The dwarf almost spat out the word and I jumped in my skin. I was close to the door, enough to just reach my arm out and touch it. 

“I don’t remember,” I said again. “But I intend to find out.” 

I turned sharply and headed through the door. It locked behind me as the ferocious shouts of the dwarf ripped through the air. I sighed and took in my new surroundings, hoping it would lead me back to the forest. But as soon as I had the thought I dismissed it immediately. As far as the eye can see was a glade of silver grass flowing in tandem with the rolling landscape. A pale moon shone down on the world. It glittered on the mist swirling on the ground. I looked back to the wooden door and decided whatever was past the glade had to be better than the Keeper of the Gate. With another sigh I picked myself up and marched forward.

The air was heavy and damp but still held a level of warmth from the dwarves’ room. I slowly made my way through the glade with little interruption. There was a creaking sound which followed me all the way through and a rumbling that came at even intervals. I became apprehensive but could only move forward. My mind replayed the conversation I had but no part of it made sense. How could the dwarf say that I left here? I can’t even remember how I came to be here in the first place!

Eventually I crossed over a steep incline and my breath caught in my throat. Under the white light of the moon a city shimmered in the distance. A winding river ran soundlessly through the towering buildings and emerged far to the north. How did I know that was north? My heart started to race. I felt something in my mind shift but I ignored it. I came up with several excuses, most of them ending with just an assumption that that is north. Blood rushing in my ears I descended the slope and toward the city.

The streets were wide and clean but I took no notice of them. I was numb to my surroundings, wrapped up in the mystery of my mind and why I climbed through the window in the first place. When I did look up I found myself beneath a tower lain in a patchwork of grey blocks with crystals glinting in the rock. To my surprise I didn’t shudder at its eerie sight. Instead I felt a sadness bloom from my chest and tears began to well in my eyes. Something happened here and my mind reached across to connect the dots. But I still could not understand any of this. The window, the dwarf and now this. Could what the Keeper had said been true? Did I really leave here once? But what for?

I became aware of a faint buzzing sound emanating from the walls. It was distinct and clear but I felt as though I heard it before. I traced my way around the tower to look for an entrance and found another wooden door similar in shape to the one in the dwarves’ room. As I entered the door, I was smothered by the buzzing sound. Hands on my ears, I scanned the entrance room for the cause of the noise. The whole floor was open in plan and circular. In the centre were two wooden chairs beside a small table holding dusty manuscripts and metal daggers. Winding up the wall from my left was a staircase carved from the grey rock of the building. Looking up was a mistake. I was hit by a flash of blue light followed by an increase of the sound’s intensity. The sensible part of my brain told me to go back the way I came and think this through. But I still found myself walking up the precarious steps to the top.

After several stops to catch my breath I came across another door. This time it was made of a pale blue stone and I could make out shadows flitting about on the other side. I pushed it aside and found that it swung with ease. A sophisticated lever. Only the best for Eraveil, I thought. 

Inside the room was a crescent shape and positioned in the centre was a marble dais. An orange glow poured out from the marble. Silhouetted against the light was a tall figure with arms outstretched. Somehow they were controlling the light. As my eyes adjusted I could see the subtle movements of their fingers alter the intensity of the glow. It burned to a deep crimson before fading away to a pale yellow when they spoke. 

“I found that you encountered no problems on your quest?”, rumbled the figure.

“None.” I responded too quickly.

“Excellent. Bring it here.” The figure turned and held out a bony hand. Now facing me I could see an old face buried beneath a beard. He wore long robes that looked to be black with tendrils of silver flowing down to his feet. Despite the majesty that he held I could also see his frailty bleed through in his sharp features and slow movements.

Instinctively I moved forward as though I was connected by string and he was the puppeteer. After a few steps I faltered. My mind returned once again and I couldn’t give a reason as to why I followed his command so readily. I could feel something rise up in my head and threaten to break whatever barrier I constructed in my mind. I pushed the feeling away once more but this time it was harder to do. The feeling subsided but in its place was a pulsing headache which spread down my neck. 

“What… How did…” I faltered. The pain was too much to bear and I couldn’t formulate a single thought. I looked at the robed figure pleadingly and he regarded me with a knowing eye.

“Yes, I suppose the barrier would have wiped your memory. Safety reasons of course. In the event that someone leaves Eraveil its whereabouts would be purged from their mind. How else have we managed to stay safe from the outside world and practice our science?”

I still held my gaze but none of it made sense. How could there be another world hidden within this world? It sounds like magic but the man speaks of science. Part of me believed him. That everything he said made sense because I was part of it. But how could I be? I had a life beyond this place. A family. A place to call home. All that couldn’t have been for nothing. But still that feeling rose again, louder and stronger than before. It spread through my entire being before I realised that part of it was doubt. I dared myself to remember the names of my family or even to recall where my home was. But I couldn’t. 

“Why?” I whispered.

“Well I just explained -”

“No. Why can’t I remember anything about myself?” Tears gathered in my eyes and spilled down my face. 

The man sighed and brought a hand to my shoulder. “Allow me to help.”

I still tried to suppress that feeling which burned through me but once his hand gripped my shoulder it expanded and broke free. My mind exploded with memories and I was brought to my knees with the information. I was his apprentice. There was an errand I had to run but it led me to breach the barrier that protected the city. I remember packing that night anxious that I might fail but Mjerdal - yes that was his name! - came to me and said that the closer I get to the entrance, it will guide me back. Even if I don’t remember why. I thanked him and made my way to the Keeper’s station. I tricked him into opening the gate. I told the dwarf that I could not handle being Mjerdal’s apprentice anymore and if they opened the gate then I would never come back. The wall fell away to the exit and I said as a final note that “Ignorance is the key to our own destruction.” It was my way of bringing back all my memories. Clearly I still had some training left to do.

I gave a shaky laugh and hugged Mjerdal. Without him I would have been lost. But there will come a time when it will just be me, I realised. I shook the feeling away and reached into the satchel which I buried beneath my clothes. Mjerdal gave a sly look and I handed him the object which cost my memory in the first place - the skull of a raven. “Now! Your task is complete and you have earned the responsibility of a familiar.” With all the excitement I forgot that that was the end goal. My own familiar. I followed Mjerdal to the dais and together we began the procedure.

Sometime after we sat together and had supper when I finally asked him something which plagued my mind since returning. “When I made my way across the glade I heard a strange buzzing and creaking sound. I wonder if you can help me identify the sound.”

“There is no need. I sent a familiar of my own to help you journey to the tower with ease. But also to see if you would be distracted again. Nevertheless it seems that you have matured quite some bit from last time and I feel you are ready now to move on. Tomorrow we shall commence summoning.

June 08, 2021 13:14

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.