1 comment

Fantasy

A light buzz went off by my hip as I was sipping my coffee. I pulled out the pager and saw a message asking for my assistance in the emergency ward. My coffee spilled over the edge as I darted out of my office, down the hallways to the ER wing of the hospital.  A nurse greeted me at the entrance, handing me a patient chart, “I’m sorry to bother you, but a patient came in with shortness of breath and heart palpitations.” I thanked the nurse and entered the room. 

An endless number of gloves, wires, and packaging was littered on the floor as I pushed the curtains back for the patient’s room. My hands were damp with the hand sanitizer, but I wasted no time slipping on the purple gloves lined up against the wall before approaching the patient. “Doctor Kari,” a nurse said approaching me. “The patient is tachycardic and isn’t really responsive. His heart rhythm isn’t normal, he has a temperature, and that’s all we know.” The patient was splayed out on the bed, his chest rising and falling rapidly as though he couldn’t catch his breath. His face was flushed red with sweat beading across his forehead. I raised the level of the bed, and he looked at me as a brief moment of panic flashed across his tired eyes.

“Doc—Doc I—I can’t breathe.” He stuttered, gasping for more air. His hand came up to his chest as he grabbed a handful of his shirt. I grabbed my stethoscope from my coat and immediately got to work. I listened to his heart, his lungs, and his abdomen immediately catching a weird sound rattling in his chest.

I glanced briefly at the name written across his hospital band. “Mr. Jones,” I said loudly to catch his attention. “Mr. Jones, when did this pain start?” His eyes fluttered, before he focused on me. I knew I had to work quickly. He held up two fingers. What was that? Two hours? Two days? Two months? Another gasp escaped his lips.

“Mr. Jones!” I repeated. “Is that 2 days? Nod for me if this started 2 days ago?” I got a nod. “When did your fever start? You seem to be running one.” He held up the same two fingers. Instantly I knew what was wrong, but as any well- trained doctor would say, I had to make sure to run some tests before I gave him my diagnosis. I gestured to the nurse standing behind me, she looked new by the way her hands were clasped tightly in front of her. I noted the manicured nail sticking out from her ripped thumb. 

“Get him a chest X-ray immediately, I think he has pneumonia. Get him started on some oxy, I’ll put it in the chart for the next doctor.” I pulled my gloves off. “Mr. Jones, you’re gonna be taken care of okay? Hang tight, just stay calm and focus on breathing deeply and slowly.” Almost instantly, the patient seemed at ease as his chest rose and fell at a slower pace. The nurse thanked me as I walked out the door. I sat down by the nearest computer and put in my orders into the system, my eyelids drooping as I typed out the last sentence. I cradled my head in my hands. It was a very long 24- shift for me, and it didn’t help that I didn’t get much rest the night before either. With so many doctors out, I was picking up their shifts left and right. Another buzz went off in my pocket. My heart dropped as I pulled my pager out, expecting it to be another distressed patient. Instead, it signaled the end of my shift. 

I get to go home. 

With the weight lifted off my shoulders, I submitted my requests and made one last lap around the ward. It was late into the evening, so the foot traffic had gotten significantly slower. All the present patients were asleep, and the few overnight nurses were settling into their chairs overlooking patients through their desks. “Goodnight, Doc.” A nurse said as he walked by me. I nodded back, saving as much energy I could for the ride back to my apartment. 

My music wasn’t doing me any justice as my eyelids got heavy during the drive. I yawned audibly. “One more of these 24-hour shifts and I know I’m gonna die.” I said miserably, turning into my complex. I found the nearest parking spot and dropped my head onto the steering wheel after parking my car. I blinked and the next thing I knew I was inside my apartment. 

Exhausted didn’t seem to cover how I actually felt.

After a quick shower I threw myself onto the soft bed cover. It bounced against my weight, but all I could do was moan into the lavender scent that lingered on my freshly washed sheets. As darkness grasped me, an annoying buzz snapped my eyes awake. “For crying out loud!” I hissed, exasperated. I reached for my phone. “One night! I just want one freaking night!” A reminder notification gleamed at the center of the screen.

Daylight saving- don’t forget to set your alarm an hour ahead dummy!

I thanked myself with a quick shoulder pat and reached for my alarm clock. A lot of my guests didn’t understand why I didn’t just use my phone as an alarm, since it was already programmed to adjust to the time changes and could easily hold all my alarms I may need. It was simple for me. Once I was physically inside my house, my phone got turned off. The perks of being an emergency room physician was being able to unplug from my phone since any patient I saw was technically not my patient. Which meant, any questions the staff needed could go to another doctor on-call. The staff was quick to understand that once I got home, I was incognito. 

An alarm clock was useful since my phone would be turned off. It had the two alarms I needed set and showed the time. I needed nothing more. 

I set the clock an hour ahead and turned on the alarm. It flashed once to indicate the alarm was on and showed me the new time. “Perfect.” I buried my head into my pillow and was out like a light.

I knew something was wrong when a soft light crossed my lids. My eyes snapped open and immediately flew to my alarm clock. It was nearly 11 o’clock. I cursed throwing my sheets off and dashing into my bathroom. I was supposed to meet my friend for a spin class at 8, but of course my alarm didn’t go off. I turned my phone on, mentally bracing for the minimum of 500 texts and calls I knew I got from her.

Nothing.

Was I not supposed to be meeting her today? Was it later on today or was it tomorrow? I pulled up my messages and clicked on her name. I scrolled through our texts and shook my head. No, Breanne said 8 am was when the “brush-off-dude-from-next-door sweat sesh” was going to start. It wasn’t like her to not text me or call me. By this point, she would’ve been at my door finding a way to barge into my bedroom to murder me for not being in the class with her.

I sent her a text, apologizing for not getting up in time. I set my phone down and got ready for the day, checking periodically for a sassy text back. Thirty minutes went by, and I still had no response. Was she really that mad at me? My heart sank at the thought that I disappointed her that much.

The phone was pulled up with my thumb hovering over the call button. After a minute of hesitation, I called her. It buzzed for a minute and clicked. “Hey Anne?” I asked sweetly. The number you have reached is not available. Please leave a message after the tone. She never ignored my calls, not even the time when I called her a day after I accidentally lost her cat for a week and she swore she wouldn’t ever talk to me again. “Hey, Breanne, it’s me. I’m sorry I missed the workout this morning. Call me back, I’ll make it up to you over mimosas and a good brunch? I love you.”   

All I could really do was shrug it off and wait until I heard back from her, so I threw on some sneakers and decided to go for a short run around the apartment complex instead. It was a Saturday and almost lunch time, but at least I could do some socializing before I got a bite to eat. By that point, Breanne would hopefully call me back.

As I locked my apartment door behind me, I was startled by how dark the sky was. Whatever sunlight that woke me up earlier was clearly gone now. The cloud looked like dark grey cotton balls, hanging low and heavy in the sky. Black clouds shadowed behind the thick grey ones, as though warning that a bigger threat was about to come along. I pulled out my phone to check the weather to find out that there was only supposed to be a light drizzle later in the evening. Weird, these clouds look way to dark for just a drizzle. I thought, zipping up my hoodie. 

Blasting some music into my headphones, I started at a soft jog. I practiced my smiles in case I saw any neighbors and settled into my rhythm. My music’s beat helped me keep my pace as I turned the block and continued down the street. It was when I turned the next block that I got a little suspicious.

Nobody was outside. Not a soul was outdoors but me.

Understandably the weather was dark and gloomy enough for me to not want to be outside either, but around this time there had to be someone trying to get lunch or taking their dog out for a potty break. 

I passed by a lone red car sit parked underneath the canopy. It was the only one there. Maybe everyone really just got a head start early and already left for the day. I thought nonchalantly. If not that maybe they were inside trying their best to stay out of the weather’s way. I made took two more turns.

My jog slowed to a trot before I came to a complete stop. The red car was there again, parked underneath the canopy that I knew I already passed a few turns back. I regularly ran this path every chance I had, so I knew I couldn’t accidentally get turned around. I reluctantly started up my jog again, looking back at the red car as though I was expecting it to disappear right in front of my eyes. 

I let myself get immersed back into my music and followed the same run route I normally did, but I paid attention to each street name and detail. I took a right at the next intersection. And then I would take a left and follow around the bend to go straight to the light before I took another right. As I was completing my thought something red caught my attention. 

“No way.” I said out loud, stopping in my tracks. “What the hell?” It was the same car, and the same canopy. A nervous chill went down my spine. The license plate number was generic, but I did recognize the last three characters as it was Old Lady Kelly’s car. I had helped her with groceries one time, and from then on was frequently invited over for cookies and tea. 

I jogged up to her door and knocked. Much to my horror, the door creaked open slowly. My heart pounded against my chest, as all my instincts kicked in and told me to run. But if Kelly was inside and in trouble, I would never forgive myself. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my mace as I took a hesitant step inside. If someone was in here, they knew by now that I was aware of the door being open so saying anything was more of a warning for them than a mistake on my part. 

“Hey, Kelly?” I shouted loudly. “Kelly, you okay?” All her lights were off. The huge grandfather clock in her living room wasn’t ticking and was stuck at exactly 12 o’clock. The microwave and oven clocks were flickering. This wasn’t good. 

“Kelly?” I shouted again. I went into her kitchen and pulled out a knife from her drawer. I felt bad trespassing, but to save her life and her apartment I figured I was forgiven in advance. I made my way into her one and only bedroom. It was slightly ajar. 

Oh god, please don’t be dead. I thought immediately. I took a quick breath and kicked open her bedroom door, the knife in my hand extended out. Her bed was neatly made, and her slippers were right by her side of the bed. I stumbled backward and threw open her closet door in the hallway.

Nothing.

I kicked open her bathroom door.

Nothing.

It was like she disappeared. I put the knife back in her kitchen and ran out the door, closing it behind me. I stared at the parking lot. Her car was gone. I didn’t have to tell myself to move. My feet pounded the ground as I ran back to my apartment. I tripped going up the stairs, but it didn’t stop me throwing myself inside my apartment. I slammed the door shut and locked it. 

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and saw no notifications still. I called my mom.

No answer.

My dad. No answer. My brother. No answer. I called a close doctor friend. Nothing from no one. I questioned if it was really considered an emergency that no one seemed to be answering my calls but dialed the emergency number anyway. 

A dead tone panned on the other end of my phone. Panicked, I threw my phone to the floor. I heard a loud howl pierce through the air, and a sudden rush of heavy pattering against my door. I jumped back and peered through the peephole to see a torrent of rain falling from the darkening clouds. Suddenly my apartment felt small, I felt trapped and enclosed. I needed to get out. I needed to leave, now. I ran into my bedroom and threw clothes into my backpack. As I grabbed my hoodie and umbrella, I heard a distinctive and familiar ping.

I nearly slipped and fell as I scrambled for my phone. “Thank god.” I got out, pulling up the message. It was from an unknown number and read, “We’re right outside the door.” I screamed in horror as the pounding began to shake my door on its frame.

My eyes flew open.

I was breathing heavy, and my forehead was beaded with sweat. My alarm was blazing against my ear. Instinctively, my hand smashed against the snooze button as I rested my other hand against my chest. My heart was about to leap out of my chest.

It was only a nightmare. 

I sat up slowly. It was so vivid; I remembered every detail down to the unknown phone number. Hesitantly, I turned my phone on and closed my eyes fearing that I had no notifications like my dream. 

Almost immediately, messages flooded my screen from Breanne, and my mom. A few news article notifications blinked on the screen as well, as well as a bad weather warning. I swiped on my friend’s name and laughed at her sarcastic “Good morning” message. I sent one back and checked my clock. I had thirty minutes before I had to head out for the spin class.

After getting dressed and waffling down an apple, I grabbed my water bottle and keys and made my way to the front door. Another ping went off on my phone, and I secretly hoped Breanne had cancelled the spin session and was suggesting for a mimosa binge. 

My jaw dropped as I recognized the number. My heart pounded as the same message from my dream flashed across my shaking phone screen. “We’re right outside the door.” 

April 04, 2020 03:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Maria Limerick
13:41 Apr 09, 2020

Wow, so good!!! My heart was leaping out of my chest by the end. You did such a great job with the setting and establishing an entire world for your character. And cool name for the story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.