The land of the lost

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Adventure

The first thing Keira noticed when she woke up was the grass. The shaved pasture seemed to surround and consume her. It was only when the gentle breeze blew past that she noticed the boy beside her. He was rolled into a ball with his hands cradling his head. She would later find out that she had hit his head with hers when she had woken up. She stared at him for a minute, thinking about whether or not to wake him up but decided against it. The breeze that flowed around her felt alive, it was quiet but yet it seemed to speak to her, calling her name. It was then that she noticed the pond. It was so huge; Keira could not believe that she had not seen it the moment she woke up. The pond seemed to be in the middle of everything. Looking at it, she felt like she could see everything and yet nothing. She stretched her hands to feel the water, possibly to drink it too because suddenly she was overcome by thirst but just as she was about to touch the still clear water, she was dragged back by a hand. It was the boy, with his hands away from his face, she could him clearly. His hazel brown eyes bore deep into hers and his full lips stayed straight in a line. His stare seemed to be warning her but he said nothing. His golden-brown skin looked so smooth for a minute she felt like touching him but she thought against it. She tried to speak but her voice would not come out so she decided to nod instead but when she looked up the boy was no longer holding her hand. He had started walking away, towards a house, she noticed as she watched him walk. She could not remember if the house was there when she woke up but the thought did not last long in her mind as she could not let her mind stay on one thought when there so much around her that she did not understand. Her eyes focused once again on the boy. He walked fast like he was being chased then he turned to stare at her as if telling her to follow him before continuing towards the house. She knew it would be better to follow the strange boy than to stay out here where she knew nothing but the pond seemed to want her to stay so she did not move. She was tempted to try touching the still water again but the face of the boy came into her mind and the fear of what could happen betrayed the strength of her curiosity. The landscape was so beautiful and peaceful. She closed her eyes and let the sound of the wind play in her ears and hug her body. Though the wind was strong and wild, it was not cold or uncomfortable, everywhere felt warm. She opened her eyes to find the sun that she was sure she could feel but saw no sun. This place was bright even without the sun, she thought as she laid on the grass and looked at the empty sky. A plain blue colour. No clouds, no sun, no birds. As the water in the giant pond, the sky was still.

She stayed by the pond until she noticed a sudden change in the sensation of the wind.

Get up Get up

Go in Go in

The wind seemed to scream.

At that moment, she remembered when her grandma would say to her

 ‘’A word is enough for the wise’’

She turned in the direction the boy had gone earlier searching for the house. When she finally saw it, it seemed to be fading, slowly. She quickly got up and ran towards the house, she had not realized till she stood that she had no shoes on and as the kind wind grew harsher, the smooth grass grew spiky and by the time she got into the makeshift house, her feet were bleeding. She stood with her back against the door, took a deep breath then fell to the floor exhausted. She looked at her feet and noticed the blood.

‘’Ow’’ she said, shocked by her voice. She had believed and accepted that her voice was gone for good when she tried to speak earlier but could not.

''I tried to tell you to come in sooner'' A voice said, as the owner of the voice walked towards her with some cotton wool and a bottle of clear liquid. The bottle had no label so she could not tell what it was but she had a feeling, it would bring her pain.

‘’Who are you?’’ She spoke.

‘’My name is Tunde, who are you?’’ Tunde said, a soft grin on his face revealing his dimples.

'' I am Keira, where are we? She said, strangely comfortable now that she knew his name.

''We are in the land of the lost'' Tunde said as he gently took one of her legs and placed it on his lap. Keira watched him, surprised by how safe she felt with a boy she had just met.

‘’The land of the lost? Is that a real place?’’ She asked, almost laughing at his answer.

'' Yes, it is. It is for people like you who have been cursed to spend their days alone and in pain.’’

‘’Cursed? She shouted, half from shock, half from the pain of the clear liquid Tunde was using to clean her wound.

''Yes, Cursed. Most people believe curses do not exist. They do not believe the power of their words and the strength that it carries so they curse others in rage, in sadness, thinking it will not come to past. Once cursed, most people, are trapped in their minds fighting the curse even if they may carry on in the real world as though they are normal. But the worst of the curses make you ill, sick or sends you away completely. Like you.

‘’So, what happens to me in the real world?’’

‘’Right now, you are in a coma and you remain like that till you leave here.’’

‘’Who cursed me?’’

‘’Someone who loves you’’

‘’That makes no sense’’ Keira said

‘’Humans in rage do the worst things’’ He said, a sad expression on his face. ‘’But luckily for you, the person who cursed is in deep pain, filled with regret. The time to leave will be right tomorrow tonight you rest.’’ Tunde said as he both her bandaged wrapped legs down from his lap and move toward what appeared to be a makeshift bedroom.

‘’Tomorrow? how long have I been here?’’

‘’You have been here for a day in this world’’

‘’What about the real world?’’

‘’In the real world, Keira Olaoye had been in a coma for ten days’’ He said, staring at her. As if trying to calm her. She wanted to be calm but she could feel her face betraying her so she stared at her fingers and said nothing.

''What about you? She asked. Are you also cursed?’’ Keira asked when she had steadied herself.

''No, I am not cursed. I am the embodiment of the pain and the regret of the person who cursed you. I have been sent to save you.’’

She scoffed. She could not believe any of this but the how else could she explain this strange place. How else could she explain her inability to speak when she stepped out of the house.

There were no windows in the house so She could not tell if the darkness had gone. She looked around the small house for a bit before her eyes began to feel heavy

'' You will sleep here'' Tunde suddenly said, appearing almost from nowhere. She thought of how strange it was as she followed him to where she would sleep. It was a thick blanket placed on the floor. As she laid down, another blanket was used to cover her as she laid down and then everywhere went dark.

She awoke to a light that shone from the open door. She could hear Tunde singing a song, it reminded her of grandma but she could not recall the name. She gave up trying to remember and went to meet Tunde.

''Good morning,'' He said, not turning to look at her.

She said nothing.

He got up and began walking. She followed.

Deep in thought, Keira had not realized that they had stopped walking. When she came to, they were at the pond, Keira cast a questioning look at Tunde.

‘’The pond is neither bad nor good,’’ Tunde explained. ‘’It is different from the other things on the island. It can save you but it can also destroy you if the timing is not right’’ He said and stared at the pond. He said something under his breath but Keira could not hear it then he turned to look at her.

She stared at Tunde. The fear of the pond, the fear of the grass, evident in her eyes. Tunde nodded at her. ‘’Don’t be scared, you’ll be fine’’ He seemed to say without speaking.

She took small steps towards the pond before gently sliding in. The water was neither cold nor hot. She let herself be engulfed by the water. At some point, she realized she was no longer breathing but she did not feel wet or as though she was even in the pond, she looked up to find Tunde but there nothing. There was nothing around her but pure darkness and absolute silence.

Suddenly, a huge hand appeared and grabbed her. Keira closed her eyes and screamed, she continued screaming till she realized there were now two hands wrapped around her and they were her grandmother’s. Her grandmother held her tightly as repeatedly apologized while the nurses rushed in.

After ten days, Keira had finally returned to the real world.

December 31, 2020 14:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.