160 comments

Fiction

Ivy bustled around her room, tidying up the already spotless room. She and Charlie had an important job tonight, maybe not as important as the decoys but important nonetheless. The fact that there had never been a mission like this where their failure or success could have such a large impact had not escaped her notice. At the moment, she was leaning against a small decorative table that held an elegant little flower vase. Her busy hands rearranged the flowers absently as she mused to herself. 

Someone coughed and she turned, expecting to see Brooke or Luke standing in her doorway. Instead, she found Charlie leaning casually against her door frame, eyeing her thoughtfully. “Hey, want some company?”

“Sure.” Ivy gave him a weak smile before going back to fiddling with the flowers beside her, watching him surreptitiously from the corner of her eyes. 

He padded to her side, leaning on the little table she had stationed herself at and gazing around the immaculate room for a moment. “Nervous?”

“A little,” Ivy admitted, “aren’t you?”

Charlie chuckled. “Of course.”

In the silence that stretched between them, Ivy continued to mess with the flowers that were starting to show signs of her abuse. Glancing over, Charlie caught her wrists gently, pulling them away from the plant. “Hey, hey, don’t torture the plant, what did it ever do to you?”

Ivy exhaled heavily, “Yeah, I know, I know, sorry.” 

Charlie sighed, looking weary and far too old for his twenty-one years as he pulled her closer to him. He didn’t bring her into an embrace, leaving their arms swinging between them, twining his fingers with hers slowly. “It’s not your fault, it’s mine. I could’ve left you asleep in your bed last night instead of dragging you along. It wasn’t fair of me to snatch you away from the safety of the Shadow Sworn.”

Ivy’s eyes darted to his in surprise. “If you think being a Shadow was safe, I’m going to have to question your lieutenant’s assignments. Besides, we both know it started before that. I would’ve been furious if you had left me behind, you know I wouldn’t have let you get away that easily. I mean we worked together for three years, if you hadn’t chosen me to be your apprentice, I wouldn’t be here. It started there.”

“If you want to go back that far, none of this would have happened if we hadn’t met at the library . . .”

“It’s the book’s fault,” she declared, feeling the corners of her mouth twitch up in amusement. “If it hadn’t fallen off the shelf, we wouldn’t be here. It changed our lives.”

“Yes definitely,” Charlie agreed and a sly smile stole across his face as he leaned his forehead against hers gently. Their breaths tangled together in the air between them, making their loose position seem all the more intimate. “It’s all because of that darned book.”

“I’m so grateful for that day,” Ivy admitted softly, “I think about it a lot, and I know I wouldn’t want it any other way.” 

“Why?” 

“There is not much I wouldn’t give to be with you,” she said simply. “If risking my life is what it takes to be with you, not to mention being I on the right side of history, then I’m willing to give my life freely.”

“You have always been the better one of us,” he murmured. “I can’t imagine a world without you. I—” 

She cut him off before he could continue, “So it’s a good thing we met that day in the library.”

Charlie smiled wearily. “I guess it was. But you know I still wish you didn’t have to be in harm’s way like this.” 

“Who knows? Maybe after this, I’ll have a role as a healer.” Ivy looked wistful and he knew that helping those who couldn’t help themselves drew her gentle nature and ready patience like metal to a magnet. Sometimes he wondered how recruiters had chosen this peaceful, honest, kind young woman to be an assassin for the crown. 

“After this, we’ll find a way for you to employ your medical skills to help the Dragons,” he promised, kissing her forehead briskly before pulling away reluctantly. He let one of her hands drop back to her side, squeezing the other reassuringly. “We should get ready to leave.” 

She nodded. “Meet outside the manor half an hour before dusk?”

“See you then.” Charlie smiled charmingly, bowing slightly to bring her hand to his lips in a soft kiss. 

She giggled at the old-fashioned gesture, shoving him away lightly. “Save it for the coronation, your highness.”

“Who’s to say it won’t be yours, princess?” He teased with a laugh. 

“Go already,” Ivy scolded, giving him another gentle shove. 

“Yes, of course, please accept my apologies, my princess.” He bowed his way out, a cheeky grin fixed upon his face. 

“Yeah, bye!” She shook her head disapprovingly as she closed the door behind him, trying to hide her amusement. 

“I know you’re laughing back there,” Charlie called through the door. 

“Don’t be creepy, go away!”

She heard his chuckles recede as he retreated down the hall toward his room. Ivy shook her head again. “Boys . . .”

~*~

When she met Charlie again outside Megan Sutherland’s beautiful manor, they were both clad in the dark Shadow uniform they’d worn the night before, freshly laundered. Both of them were also equipped with powerful compound bows and twin swords along with their wands. The only people there to send them off were Lady Brooke and Lord Adrien. The rest of the Dragons and former Shadows were still preparing for their part of the mission. 

Despite their brief acquaintance, Brooke hugged them both fiercely, saying, “Take care of each other and good luck.”

Adrien shook both of their hands firmly and said, “Thank you both for your help, best of luck tonight.” 

They returned the gesture in kind before pulling away and peering out at the city of Dunaire spread out below them. The twinkling lights of many lanterns shone cheerfully against the darkness as the city’s inhabitants prepared for the night, all unaware of the important event that was about to take place. Ivy interlaced her fingers with Charlie’s. “Are you ready?” 

“Are you?”

May 01, 2021 03:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

160 comments

01:18 Aug 04, 2021

🗡 ⚔️

Reply

Lilliane Wei
03:36 Aug 05, 2021

Hehehehehe tyyy

Reply

22:59 Aug 05, 2021

hehehe ywww

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
16:31 May 28, 2021

Lily? How are you doing?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
04:12 May 29, 2021

Okay, why what's up and omg you're inactive?!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:00 Jun 02, 2021

I'm just asking...you know to make sure you're good :) Love the new name and pfp <3 and yeah. I was for like a month. Then I was gonna come back today but um. bio. ¿😐?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:01 Jun 02, 2021

Yeah, I was weird-ish. I'm fine now. Yeah idk what my bio is, my brain exploded and it wasn't pretty. I also needed something to put on my bio not just blankness so :D Glad you're back!

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
16:10 Jun 03, 2021

That's great to hear! Hm lol. I just threw in a poem and my blog lolol. Maybe your pronouns and like....stuff you like? Your zodiac????????? Hehe :D

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:48 Jun 03, 2021

Lol, yeah that's a good idea thanks!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:03 May 23, 2021

Lillian? Did you leave or are you inactive? Please don't take this off, it's beautiful.

Reply

Lilliane Wei
21:18 May 23, 2021

I didn't, dw

Reply

11:01 May 24, 2021

Ok, thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
17:12 May 01, 2021

ooh very well written lily :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:39 May 01, 2021

thxxxx hehehe

Reply

TJ Squared
17:46 May 01, 2021

:)) I would say more but not feeling it rn

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:34 May 01, 2021

Awww what happened??

Reply

TJ Squared
21:23 May 01, 2021

a lot happened

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:27 May 02, 2021

Wanna talk about it?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

This is hot lol- I NEED A LOVE ITErESt aHhHhHh

Reply

Lilliane Wei
17:39 May 01, 2021

Hehe thanks, I'll see what I can do ;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
04:15 May 01, 2021

Ooookay, soooooooo... I released this just nowand it stars Ivy Carter and Charlie Alden, featuring brief mentions of Brooke and Adrien. I'm satisfied with it's current form but there's a possibility that it will be edited over the weekend so be sure to check back on Monday. Before you do though, check out the authors featured in this story: Ivy: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/carter/ Brooke: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/brooke-d-inactive-for-a-month-ish/ Best, Lily

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
06:21 Sep 14, 2021

Check Skribbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Skribbls Check ...

Reply

Lilliane Wei
21:01 Sep 14, 2021

Ikikikik

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
06:20 Sep 14, 2021

Check Skribbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Srkibbls Check Skribbls Check ...

Reply

Lilliane Wei
21:00 Sep 14, 2021

???

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
16:51 Aug 26, 2021

huhhuhuhuhuh

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:31 Aug 26, 2021

*performs cpr* hiiiii

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
15:59 Aug 21, 2021

Heyyyyy Lily! Ivy Carter is coming back sometime next week along with Abigail Cross, spread the word!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
04:06 Aug 22, 2021

omg yasssssss

Reply

TJ Squared
04:25 Aug 22, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
19:33 Aug 19, 2021

CLIFFHANGER RAWR okokokokokok. i'm going to start with the last one i read. sorry if this is a super long comment heheh TSD 10: excellent plot to the story. i feel really special that i have my own manor heheheheheh. i'm mad fawn died but yk that happens when you're writing. the only thing with this one was that it got a little confusing with all of the characters you have in this one. TSD 11: not your usual style, more of a love story, but it was pretty good nonetheless. less action packed than i'm used to. Both: my overall main pro...

Reply

Lilliane Wei
20:15 Aug 19, 2021

hahahaha thanks for the feedback, meg!! if i remember correctly i was running out of words or time on each piece lol so maybe i'll try to stretch the story out into more stories. anyhoo i'll work on improving my writing and thanks for the feedback :D

Reply

Megan Sutherland
23:03 Aug 19, 2021

of course!!! i hope i wasn't too overbearing with the length of the comment lol

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:20 Aug 19, 2021

yeah np and thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
11:36 Aug 17, 2021

Hey Livia! I read your bio and wanted to join in the Skribble (I guess? I don't remember the speeling) doc. I want to get to know more authors around here and this would be the perfect thing. I already left a message there. Should I do something else or what?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
16:36 Aug 18, 2021

Heyyyy Nice to meet you and thanks for reading my bio!! Of course you can join the skribbls, we'd be happy to have you :D There's no need to do anything else if you've already left a message there. But if you want to get into contact with other writers, leaving comments and feedback on other people's stories will work pretty well :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:25 Jun 24, 2021

You crafted the relationship between Ivy and Charlie so well; the little details of their actions painted a beautiful picture of how they interacted with each other. Also, "Lady" Brooke? Go, me! XD I would never think that I would be called "Lady Brooke". Sounds so regal, lol. And that leads me to my next point... Thank you so much for including me in this series! It means so much to me. :) And, you've written my character so well. Hehe. :D -Lady Brooke

Reply

Lilliane Wei
21:02 Jun 26, 2021

Of course, Brooke, thanks for all you support and I was so happy to be able to include you!!

Reply

03:30 Jun 28, 2021

My pleasure! Awwww. <333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
19:15 Jun 16, 2021

Hey lily (still gonna call you that)! It's been a while, how have you been?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
22:29 Jun 20, 2021

It definitely has been a while, Lone. I've been good, got a new obsession and I'm writing less though. I've started back up with a really weird fanfic but I don't think it's something to share (too many triggers). Anyway, how are you??

Reply

TJ Squared
23:26 Jun 20, 2021

ooh interesting. What's the obsession? okay... well...kinda gonna set my priorities straight and well uh take a break from Reedsy so yeah. doing good tho, and excited for a vacation that our family is going to take so yeah :)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
05:40 Jun 21, 2021

lol, DC actually. It's good to take breaks ;) I'm so happy for you, have fun on your vacation!!

Reply

TJ Squared
16:04 Jun 21, 2021

Nice :) Yeah, thx :D

Reply

Lilliane Wei
19:42 Jun 22, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
13:37 Jun 03, 2021

🗡🗡🗡🗡🗡

Reply

Lilliane Wei
15:26 Jun 03, 2021

:DDDD

Reply

TJ Squared
20:13 Jun 03, 2021

so how have you been?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:42 May 13, 2021

Congrats on getting your vaccine! :D

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:26 May 13, 2021

Thanks, Brooke!!!

Reply

23:35 May 13, 2021

No problem!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:08 May 10, 2021

Eep I'll read 10 and 11 sooooooooooon!!!!!!!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
20:28 May 10, 2021

Hehehe, I hope you like themmmm

Reply

22:30 May 10, 2021

i'm sure i will! I might have to read 9 again to refresh my memory tho.... oops

Reply

Lilliane Wei
00:05 May 11, 2021

Haha, no problem, take as long as you need ;))))

Reply

19:43 May 12, 2021

hahaha shanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

aklfjcnasicuac lolololl eheheheh does Adrien know about my death yet? also IS HE CHEATIN ON ME AIHDCNIAUCHONAUCHJABJn SHE BETTER GIT AWAY FORM M MAN OR IMA HAUNT HER lol flint's gonna be maddddd XD amazing story!!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
03:04 May 04, 2021

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA IVY HAS A BOYFRIEND ALREADY, MISS OVERPROTECTIVE!!!

Reply

KIAHBAXUHAC IM TALKING ABOUT BROOKE SHE BETTER STAY AWAY FROM MY MAN AIUHDXOA*&NUIIINJC HE IS MINE AND MINE ONLY I MAY BE DEAD BUT SHE CANT STEAL HIM AIHDNXAUGHJN

Reply

Lilliane Wei
14:44 May 04, 2021

Oh, I never thought of that hmm...

Reply

XD NO DONT U DARE HE IS MINE IAJHDNIAXUA I NEED TO SEE HIM ~DEVASTATED~ BY MY DEATH AOIXJAOIMDXAX UR KILLING ME SMOLS

Reply

Lilliane Wei
15:10 May 04, 2021

*too busy thinking*

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey! Part 13 of the Adapters is out and you're featured! Go check it out! (please read previous parts first)

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:48 May 03, 2021

Mkkkkk :DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
SAMANTHA LANGLEY
17:20 May 03, 2021

Hi

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:07 May 03, 2021

Hi

Reply

SAMANTHA LANGLEY
14:48 May 04, 2021

Hi

Reply

Lilliane Wei
15:10 May 04, 2021

Hi

Reply

SAMANTHA LANGLEY
15:23 May 04, 2021

Hello

Reply

Lilliane Wei
15:23 May 04, 2021

Greetings

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.