Contest #7 winner 🏆

36 comments

Fantasy

The sky was dripping again. The grass was blue with it. Mr. Thomson was screaming about his car getting stained. Now, he would have to paint it again. Or he could wait until a good sunset dripped. 

The Junbergs were sitting on their porch, drinking a bottled 4:30 am August sunrise. They insisted that only 4 am sunrises were proper quality. 5 am was too bitter. And 6 am wasn’t worth speaking of. Since they were some of the few willing to wake up at that time, it was no wonder that they made the good money, bottling it for resale.

Mothers handed their children umbrellas. “Now, remember,” they said, “keep your heads covered and don’t drink it.” And the children nodded obediently and some rolled their eyes (when their parents weren’t looking) and swung their lunchboxes at each other as they hurried over to the buses.

After all, the sky wasn’t dangerous. Everybody knew that. Kids picked up pieces to taste, stuck them in their lunch boxes. The pieces were too light for a meal but they made a good snack. 

Blue was light and fluffy, made your heart a little happier.

Thunderous sky pieces were fun, popular for bets because of the electric zing. Boys were always daring each other to see whose tongue could take the burn. They had to be careful though. Teachers were always listening for rumblings, confiscating them as distractions. So the boys tightened the jars of thunder and wrapped them with paper towels from the restrooms, forgotten homework, and sweaty jackets. The smuggling added to the thrill, made them feel sneaky and clever. Rodger was the best. The teacher could search his backpack and dump his desk out and they never found anything but at lunch, he would have twenty mini-jars for sale and bets. He never told them that it was actually Trisha Payton, the humming girl who got A’s and finished assignments early. She’d keep them for him for $2 each and a portion of the bets.

Drips of cloud were the best though. They made excellent excuses. Teachers hated it when cloudy skies dripped. All a student had to say was that they accidentally swallowed some cloud in the morning and their head was all fuzzy and they couldn’t possibly pay attention. Never mind that Jason kept staring at Noveah and the way she was twirling her vibrant hair or that Jennifer had stayed up late playing video games. No, it was clearly all clouds.

The sky was delicious. It was the stars that you had to stay away from.

Eleanor Nakinzi drank one once. It turned her hair white.

The adults thought that was the end of it. It was strange and it sparked several of her classmates to push past their bedtimes so they could have shiny hair, too, but it would wear off. It always did. And children were always looking for any excuse to stay up. When you are young, life is too exciting to pause.

The blue and the grey in the other children’s hair wore off and faded out, but Eleanor’s got brighter.  Her teachers started to squint whenever they looked at her. 

And that wasn’t all. 

She started floating in gym class. Just an inch or two and the coach won’t have even noticed if Eric hadn’t said she was cheating. Eric was always a sore loser.

At first, it was fun. She won dodgeball, became excellent at tag. Everyone wanted her on their team.

But soon enough, they were having to tie her down in math class and history. Even walking to the lunchroom, she tied herself to two classmates to keep from floating off. She wouldn’t walk into any room with a ceiling fan and her parents never wanted to let her outside anymore. She’d sit by the window and watch the grass grow, the sun on the dandelions, and her siblings playing soccer. She started wearing weights to keep her on the ground. At first, one or two, then 12, finally 87.

They let her play hide and seek in the dark with them for a bit. She was an incredible seeker, but she was a terrible hider. Her eyes started glowing with her hair. Eventually, nobody wanted to play with someone who could be found in a second and find you in three.

She forgot to turn the lights on and read in the dark. She would talk about a story of a world where the sky stayed still, and clear water came down. She never could remember where she found it. The others thought it must be boring and bland to live in a world with no extra color. 

Dorothy thought perhaps she might have heard it from the stars. Eleanor’s voice had changed, it was higher and brighter. Teachers stopped calling on her and she started texting instead of talking. Bees and flies drove her crazy. She said she could always hear them. Nobody except Eleanor listened to Dorothy. After all, stars don’t talk.

One night, Eleanor left. They said her brother left the window open. Dorothy disagrees. She says she went out the screen door. They found it slightly ajar. And the locks and all 87 weights were scattered through the grass. Dorothy said she usually snuck out to listen to the stars and feel the sky again. Dorothy thinks she’s probably a star herself now, floating away from this world, whizzing like a comet.

“But stars don’t move,” Tony said. Tony was always saying smart stuff that annoyed people.

“But people do,” Dorothy said. 

The sky kept dripping. Buses splashed sky back on the sidewalk. Kids kept sneaking thunder. The Junbergs planned their next harvest, plotted it on their calendars. They were planning on traveling, said beach and mountain sunrises tasted better than a small town. And Dorothy kept watching the stars with her feet dew-wet in the grass behind the Nakinzis’ house. And mothers kept handing umbrellas. “Don’t drink it,” they said. And the kids kept drinking it. 

The sky was delicious. Just don’t drink the stars.

September 21, 2019 00:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Emma Chaffey
00:27 Sep 27, 2019

That was an amazing story!! So creative and fun to read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aniela Humphries
18:37 Sep 26, 2019

What a creative story! I loved the way you capture the nature of kids to do it anyway. "When you are young, life is too exciting to pause."

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zilla Babbitt
19:11 May 25, 2020

Truly creative with great dialogue. Beautiful and vivid. Deserved win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alloway Whittle
21:41 Sep 27, 2019

Congratulations! The creativity, imagination and can’t-put-the-book-down vibe to your story really got me hooked. Clearly, you stuck to the prompt and you also captured the childish nature of kids. It was so unique and such a creative idea! I’m sure everyone agrees that your story was fun to read, overall brilliant and you really deserved this win! I could read a whole book following on from this and not get bored! Thank you for the effort you put in to making this story; it made my day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:59 Sep 27, 2019

This was gorgeous! I loved it! Such vivid imagery. Really fantastic! I could read a whole novel in this world -- it's overflowing with creativity.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arielle - Reedsy
22:12 Dec 13, 2019

Some of the stories that pack the most punch are also the shortest. Case in point: "Don't Drink The Stars" 😊 Thanks again for this wonderful entry, Adriana!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Yihan Wang
02:20 Sep 28, 2019

You could write a book about this. It's awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
LATANA FLETCHER
23:47 Sep 27, 2019

So creative, I was transported to another world that was full of color and wonder. Well done

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
20:32 Sep 26, 2019

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gracie Bridge
10:26 Oct 08, 2019

This story was really great! Well done!!! Super creative and interesting! Is it just me who kind of wants to see what the sky would taste like? Keep writing! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Holly Pierce
16:20 Sep 28, 2019

This is such a unique story! I've never read anything like it! You did a very good job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amy Allen
21:29 Sep 27, 2019

That was one of the best. I've read a lot and I am amazed! So good. Keep writing! I'd love to hear more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
L.A. Crum
15:23 Sep 27, 2019

Absolutely fantastic story! So imaginative, I could see the world. Great work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Matt Strempel
20:15 Sep 26, 2019

Congratulations and well done. I felt you captured not only childish imagination, but was in the true spirit of the prompt, and indeed, the great author himself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
K. Antonio
16:32 Jan 20, 2021

Reading some of the past winning stories. Just wow. I can't believe the creativity embedded here. Such an interesting and fun tale, with spectacular details.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katy S.
17:35 Jun 03, 2020

Very pretty, and so creative! Reminds me of Shel Silverstein's sky soup!

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:29 Mar 01, 2020

This story if full of imagination and creativity.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Angeliki P
10:19 Jan 09, 2020

I loved this! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Esther Eckermann
02:13 Nov 27, 2019

Such a unique and interesting story! I absolutely loved it and the idea was such a different and spectacular story. I would love to see this somehow turn into a book one day... :) great work

Reply

Show 0 replies
Retha Knight
18:14 Oct 12, 2019

I loved loved loved this story. I still think about it on those rare nights that I go outside and actually see stars. Much applause for the imagery in this story, and I love how it was mixed in with everyday actions. And the title is captive as well. Keep up the good work 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.