10 comments

Crime Thriller

This story contains themes or mentions of mental health issues.

I could hear it ringing. Gradually crescendoing, becoming deafening. While I sat solemnly in the attic in a circle with the people who had become my family. 

It was the alarm. Alex had finished, then. Had begun to lure them out from their sleep. The owners woke and we could hear them running around downstairs. Like mice.

It helped to dehumanize them.

I could see the excitement building in my comrades’ eyes. They’d done this before—not this exactly, they liked to keep their ideas fresh. But this—the whole crime thing. It was my first time. 

I tried to follow suit, to be excited for what was to come. After all, they’d given me so much. The least I could do was look like I was enjoying myself.

We could hear the owners beginning to panic downstairs. Footsteps became more frantic, voices began to rise. We could hear them promising each other that yes, it would all be alright. It would be okay.

It would not all be right. Not for them, at least.

I tried to prepare myself for what I was about to do. For what we were about to do. It all seemed rather twisted. Robbery was one thing, but to lure the owners out, force them to give away all their personal information, then make them frame their own double-suicide? Malicious. Right?

But I resolved to stick to the plan. Not for myself, for my surrogate family. 

Maybe for myself too—I wasn’t unaware of the participation reward.

Martin yelled at us to hurry up, and I woke from a stupor I hadn’t realized I’d fallen into. It was time. All the planning, all the time, all the practice was culminating. It felt so… surreal.

I followed them down the ladder and was immersed in the blue night. We leisurely strolled down the hallway. Not walked. Strolled. Down the stairs. Into the living room.

I knew this house so well but had never stepped foot inside. It was odd, having studied—idolized—this home for so long. Finally being here.

The sofa seemed larger than I’d imagined.

The sofa, where the owners sat desperately pleading with Alex, who was pressing them for what we wanted. The owners, who were trying to barter for their lives, unaware that their fate had already been decided for them.

The owners. Who we were here for.

Not who. What. I had to keep reminding myself.

I realized the alarm was still going. The tolling bell of death, accompanying us as we watched the desperate people cry for Alex’s pity. The people who had done no wrong. 

They had, I reminded myself. Their sheer wealth, their materialistic delusions, simply demanded that someone deal with them as we were doing now. No sane person could ever be as selfish as they were. If I had their wealth I’d give it all away. 

But the idea of being rich was a happy one.

I looked up and saw excitement in my family’s eyes. Saw them waiting for the right moment, waiting for when the owners had just cracked, had just given away what we wanted. Watching them. Watching their sheer desperation, hearing their Promises For What They’d Give If Only They Were Spared grow ever larger. Watching them panic. 

This is what I’d lived for for the last six months. This moment. 

But when I looked into their desperate eyes, when I saw the panic in them, when I saw their sheer desperation, their growing knowledge that they’d die here, I got deja vu. Convulsive shivers ran up and down my spine. 

And I wanted out. I didn’t care about pleasing the only friends I’d ever had, I didn’t care about the money. I had to be done with this—this craziness, this insanity.

My heart raced. Like the owners’ hearts never would after this.

My head, my mind that could think and reason and love—love—began to feel light. My head, my mind, that would see so many things they’d never see again.

I began to sweat, to hyperventilate, to feel terribly weak. 

Then collapsed on the floor. Unconscious.

And the things I saw, the things I remembered—I’d tried so hard to forget them. But there they were.

My mother. Whom I loved.

My mother, who was dying in her stuffed-up cave of a room.

Looking into her face was like looking into the face of Gollum. Gollum. It wasn’t his fault he was such a monster. It wasn’t his fault he had it rough—it was the ring. Nor was it my mother’s fault she treated me badly on occasion. It was the world’s—the world that had conspired against her, that seemed to be content only if she was unhappy. I wasn’t the victim here. She was. 

That’s what she’d told me, so many times. I believed it.

She pulled me in. I felt her caress my head she had so often thrown things at, hug the back she had so often bruised. I looked into her eyes. The lines around them were far apart, her eyes wide. The eyes of a desperate woman.

I heard her say, Carl, I need you to know something. In a Gollum whisper. Saw her move her decrepit, useless hand to her nightstand, and stopped. Beckoned for me to open the drawer. So I did. Rummaged through the mess of old papers, unpaid bills, personal documents. Didn’t find anything.

Then she made a noise like an animal. A grunt, a shriek, a neigh, a bark, all in one. An inhuman sound.

I, in turn, shrieked. Her wild eyes stared into mine. She said, Carl, I need to tell you something. Carl, this wasn’t supposed to happen. Muttered something about being close to getting them, her twisted face showing she was mad about something. But that was normal. The madness, at least. The insanity.

The insanity that wasn’t her fault.

She frantically gestured to the drawer again, repeating her unspoken request. I looked in, beginning to panic. Still couldn’t find anything. I told her so.

She hit me. For the last time.

I apologized, fending off tears. Checked again. Through the blur of my watery eyes, saw a square paper with symbols crudely scrawled on the front. Her handwriting, but somehow worse. Just a number: 6209092412. She made the noise again; I started again. 

But this time ducked.

Noises, unintelligible noises, started coming out of her mouth. Some form of muttering, but more garbled, almost impossible to understand. I made out only the word she repeated most frequently: call, call, call, call, call. Maybe it was Carl.

And then she was gone. 

Gollum had met her destiny, her destiny she’d had no part in.

I felt nothing.

Started bawling. Weeping. Not for her, for myself. Telling myself I couldn’t even feel anything for my own mother, I was so selfish, I only cared about myself. 

She’d been right.

She had always told me, frankly, how she felt about everything. How she hadn’t liked my face, how she didn’t think I should get a job because I didn’t look good and it’s only the attractive people who succeed in life, Carl, you know that. She told me how she hated me, how I was a mistake, how my father didn’t love her, I didn’t love her. She told me I was unlovable.

What she’d said about me stuck. I believed it. She was the only person I had after I graduated high school—the only social circle I had for a full year. Even in high school, she’d been the only person I interacted with, talked to. So nobody told me differently, nobody lied and told me they liked me.

She was the only person I truly loved. With all my soul. It wasn’t her fault she didn’t love me back; she couldn’t. 

I was unlovable.

And because I loved her, because she meant so much to me, she was the only thing I thought about after her death. Maybe the paper could tell me something about her. 

The day after she’d died, I built up enough resolve to go into her room, where she still lay. Where she would always lay.

Found the paper, picked up the phone, dialed the number, was immediately stricken. My chest constricted, my pulse quickened, I started sweating. Threw the paper in the overflowing wastebasket next to her still body, threw the phone onto the receiver, ran out, slammed the door behind me, sank to the ground. Cried. Resolved not to go back in again, ever. 

I don’t know why I broke down. Maybe because I’m just not competent. Maybe I couldn’t handle knowing more about who she was. 

But I couldn’t handle not knowing, either. Even in death, she dictated every thought I had. Pushed the curiosity to the back of my mind. Kept on with my monotonous life. But the monotony didn’t offer much of a shield, didn’t give me much to think about. And I couldn’t stop thinking about her. Couldn’t stop thinking about that paper. I wanted so badly to discover what knowledge it held, but I also wished it didn’t exist.

So I tried to forget it. I couldn’t. Everything reminded me of her, of it. Twenty days went by, twenty days of stench. The stench, even, reminded me of the paper. I wanted to run, to run far away from the paper, to destroy it, to be done with it. But there it sat. Next to the swarm of gnats that composed what was left of my poor mother’s aura.

At last, I cracked. I composed myself, opened the door, walked in. Calmly called the phone number listed on my mother’s cursed square. Like it was no big deal. 

I began to feel proud of myself. 

But there was nothing. Nobody picked up. I called again, and again. Nobody. I began to get desperate, to panic. This couldn’t be all there was. There had to be more.

So I kept calling. I can’t remember how many times. With each time, became more desperate, more worked up. Any pride I’d begun to feel vanished.

I’d finally resolved to destroy it, finally had worked myself up to get rid of the last piece of my mother’s legacy, when someone answered. I desperately explained my situation, practically screeching to the person on the other end. It was like one of the horror movies; the person on the other end had such a low, intimidating voice. Maybe it was distorted. They gave me an address and a time, and that was it. They hung up.

I panicked. Began to break down. Again. Sank to the floor. Hyperventilating, tears tracing rivers of grief, of anxiety, down my cheeks. I forgot about my mother; what if they knew where I was? What if this was something dangerous?

I spent the night awake, cowered in fear next to my mother’s dead body. I felt protected, somehow. Knowing she was close. 

I showed up at the house the next day, on the time given to me by the stranger. These would be the first people I’d interacted with since—since high school. I was ready for the absolute worst. Death, even. Ready for them to pull me into that house and stab me a million times. 

I was more alarmed by what they ended up giving me. They were nice to me. Not only that, but they—it seemed like they liked me. I was truly welcomed, truly cared about for what felt like the first time in my life. 

Maybe I wasn’t unlovable. 

They explained that my mother had shown up on their doorstep, pleading with them to help her. She didn’t have health insurance, didn’t have a doctor, she needed money. Or else she’d die. She knew what they did, how they got money, was willing to do anything to be cured. 

I asked what it was, how they got money. They just laughed.

They asked me to join them. I realized why my mother had sent me to them. She wanted me to be okay without her.

 I was still unclear on many things. I did know, however, that these people liked me. 

And I was willing to do anything for them. 

So I joined them, I became one of them. Spent six months, the best six months of my life, with them. Planning the perfect crime. 

But they didn’t like to call it a crime. They preferred retribution. 

Sometimes I still wish it didn’t exist. The paper, I mean. 

I was thrust back into reality; I awoke. I saw my comrades, my surrogate family standing over me. Reaching an arm out, pulling me up. Brushing my back off. Saying how the first time’s always tough.

Their words reassured me. But I knew I couldn’t do this again. 

And I was back. Standing over the owners. 

Panting out of fear. Out of fear of what I, of what we were about to do. 

I wanted out. So I got out. 

I ran. I’d studied this house; I knew the exit points. It took the others a second to realize what was happening. I hadn’t considered what would happen if they caught me, hadn’t considered what would happen if they didn’t catch me. Hadn’t really given it any thought. Just ran. 

It had begun to rain, but I pushed on. Turned corner after corner, constantly checking to see if they were behind me. 

Thoughts about my family, the people I was running from, flooded my mind like the water flooded the sidewalk in front of me. If they were willing to kill the people, who had done no wrong, what would they do to me? Me, who’d betrayed them, who’d pulled out. After they’d given so much to me, I’d selfishly rejected it. 

For twenty, thirty minutes I ran. Ran from the people I loved most.

Finally, I turned a corner. Sank onto my knees. Cried. My tears mixed with the rain as I felt it caress my face. Like my mother had done in her final hour. My heart throbbed for her; I missed her with all my being.

I began to reminisce on our times together, and realized that, for some reason, I’d never been happy with her. Ever. Never felt accepted, never felt wanted. Never felt at home. That wasn’t her fault though, it was the world’s. The world that hated her. She’d told me that enough that I knew it was true. 

But then I started thinking about the people I’d run from; my surrogate family. I’d been happy around them. I’d been accepted by them. They wanted me. They loved me. 

They loved me. 

And I realized that my mother had been wrong. I was lovable. People loved me. People loved me. People loved me

For the first time in my life, I began to hate my mother. My perfect, wonderful, abusive, controlling mother. Abusive. Controlling. For the first time in my life, I began to see who she truly was, who I truly was. She’d been wrong about everything. Everything she’d told me, everything she’d said about me, every time she’d hit me. She’d been wrong!

I felt vindicated, I felt freed. I began to spin in circles, to yell, to shout.

For the first time in my life, I was happy. Truly happy.

And I knew I could never go back. Back to my house, where my mother still lay, where her legacy, her legacy of hate, of abuse, of controlling, permeated the atmosphere. 

I could never go back to my family, because, even though they loved me, I couldn’t steal from people, couldn’t kill people, couldn’t watch them be killed. I just couldn’t.

I needed to move, to get away, to start a new life. To be reborn.

So I did. Moved, that is. Not moved, traveled to—I didn’t take anything, I knew they were watching my house. Probably knew where I was now. But I was free from her, free from them, so it didn’t matter to me. 

As I rebuilt my fractured life, I kept being reminded that they were watching me. Anything I did, any move I made, was being monitored. I’m still not quite sure why they didn’t just snatch me up when they had the chance. I knew they’d loved me, I’d felt love when I was with them. Maybe that’s what kept them from taking me back.

But I knew that if I made any move to report them, did anything to bring attention to their ring of retributive crime, they’d retaliate. And I feared their retribution.

January 27, 2023 15:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Betsy Ellis
01:04 Feb 03, 2023

Hey like the others said, this is a good first submission. Like Zack, I didn't bother to read for spelling or grammar as it was okay on first glance. I'm sure I could pick out little things as if I were your editor, but since I am not, I just read. I have a personal story with a small element of abuse in the form of control as in your story, so it IS relatable for me. But I had a relatively normal life, was well adjusted and followed a rather normal path. But I still find your character believable. Your story has elements that remind m...

Reply

Nathaniel Miller
03:31 Feb 03, 2023

Such a thoughtful comment! Thanks so much for the detailed reading and response - it's very much appreciated :) I wasn't aware of the golem's historical significance nor have I read "A Rose for Emily," but thanks so much for pointing them out! I was intrigued while looking into the former and will be sure to read the latter. The mother figure was intended to mirror (physically, at least, and in how Carl sees her) Gollum from the Lord of the Rings, not the Jewish golem, but seeing the parallels between the characters is truly fascinating. I ...

Reply

Betsy Ellis
19:53 Feb 18, 2023

Well sometimes I feel like a broken record so hopefully you have not heard me to repeat myself too many times, because I feel like I am parroting myself, even though I KNOW they are my original thoughts. I really like book clubs, so I like to read and discuss, not only how we each personally relate to a story, but the possible references to other materials.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:51 Feb 02, 2023

Very fitting title, and a nice dark story:) The whole thing reeks of brainwash, and considering how Carl goes from a dominating mother to a Manson style family/cult, the maladaptive thoughts run deep. Carl is absolutely a follower, but he does have some ideas and opinions of his own. He's never had the courage to raise them before, because they might have contradicted his mother, and she was always right about everything. Until, that is, his revulsion to the thought of actually murdering someone proves too much to ignore. How fitting is i...

Reply

Nathaniel Miller
03:48 Feb 03, 2023

Thanks so much for the thoughtful comment and read! Crafting this story was incredibly thought-provoking, and I really wanted at least some of the feelings I felt, some of the complexity that was swimming around in my mind, to translate to the reader. I'm so happy to see you gleaned as much as you did from it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
03:41 Jan 30, 2023

This is a great first submission, Nathaniel. I'm terrible at analyzing "what a story means," but in terms of craft and technique, you hit a homerun. The writing itself is clean and polished and grammatically-flawless. There's a nice sense of rhythm and variety to the sentence length (and quite a lot of short lines, which helps with the fast-paced prose Thrillers are supposed to have). You do a nice job of weaving in the rebirth theme throughout (it's no coincidence, I'm sure, that it's *raining* when Carl makes the choice to run away from h...

Reply

Nathaniel Miller
18:50 Jan 30, 2023

Wow - thanks so much for the detailed read-through and thoughts! It really means a lot to me. I tend to be extremely nitpicky when it comes to grammar, and I can often focus on it above the actual arc of the story/character development. For this piece, I tried to focus more on delivering a thought-provoking story than on making sure every sentence was perfectly artistic, and it was nice to hear the end result was effective on some level :) Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
01:45 Jan 30, 2023

Chilling, yet you ended the haunting piece with hope, which is an incredibly neat trick! I loved the flow of this, Nathaniel, particularly the narrator's obsession with staying in his lane until a new trauma made him realize he didn't have to. Definitely food for thought - with a mom like that, who needs enemies? Yikes. I think my favorite segment was "No sane person could ever be as selfish as they were. If I had their wealth I’d give it all away... But the idea of being rich was a happy one." Oh, humanity, never change. Loved it! Did you...

Reply

Nathaniel Miller
18:43 Jan 30, 2023

Thanks so much, Wendy - I really appreciate the thoughtful read and comments! Yes, the whole trauma dynamic was really interesting to write - especially the renewing effect trauma can have. It gave me lots to think about and add, and really opened my eyes to the positive effects trauma can have... although I've experienced those effects before on various levels, I've never been fully aware of them. For me, it's hard to choose one line/segment that I like above the others. What helped me to write this piece was the desire to explore a crim...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
22:59 Feb 05, 2023

Your pacing here is great and you’ve hit a rich seem of ideas with this. The mental and emotional manipulation is powerful stuff.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.