19 comments

Creative Nonfiction Kids

What I'm about to say sounds like a line out of an over-dramatized, teen romance novel.



I actually can't believe that this happened to me. Oh. My. Goodness. (Katri, chillax. Katri, stop hyperventilating. Katri, CALM DOWN!!!) 

Sorry about this...I'm just REALLY happy right now. No, I didn't win American Idol. (I'm not even old enough! Yet...) I didn't enter America's Got Talent or The Voice... (That's still on my list, though!) 

Ok. This is the first page, and it's such a coincidence that there's a new notebook for a new chapter of my life. I should probably get to the big news...here we go. 

___________________


Any stereotypical girl writing in a notebook would say, "Dear Diary", etc... But I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'm going to give you a name- how about Wren? Everyone needs a name. "Diary" just doesn't work for someone who I'm telling secrets and extremely important events to. Ok, Wren. I'm Katri Rivendell- nice to meet you! I'm thirteen, an aspiring author, singer/songwriter, and likes to draw my own version of anime.


 I've wanted someone to tell all of this to for a while, all at once- a sister just isn't the same. Hopefully this isn't like Tom Riddle's notebook/diary from The Chamber of Secrets with a soul inside it waiting to take me over, like what happened to Ginny Weasley... But, anyway, here we go, Wren. This is what's happened to me over these past few years, and this is what's come out of pouring my heart and soul into the pages of six to ten different notebooks. (I don't keep track because there are too many, lol.)


I don't know how this even happened- yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that sounds like a line out of a fairy tale or something- but, actually, I'm utterly, completely speechless. This is the first page of this new diary, so I guess I'll start from the beginning instead of starting with the exiting, EXTREMELY INSANELY GREAT news. 


All the way back from Elementary School, life hadn't always been fair to me. 


In Elementary school, back in second grade, I had been bullied for being Indian and for being who I was. Third grade didn't get better, though I was happy because the school counselor kept tabs on the girl who mainly made fun of me, Olivie. (Yes, that was actually her name. No, she's not an olive. Kinda weird, but still. I didn't make fun of HER. Relax, Katri. Back on track...)

Fourth grade, things started to change; I wrote Fan Fictions of books I loved at that time, like Percy Jackson, Warriors, and Wings of Fire. (I can't believe I didn't like Harry Potter back then. I'm sorry, Draco and Luna! They're my favorite characters, by the way. #Slytherin4Life!!! Anyway, back on track...) I wasn't popular- not at all. But I wasn't bullied, which was a step in the right direction. Fifth grade- I continued to write, (Hello, Harry Potter!!!) I started to sing and write some of my own songs that (surprisingly) didn't turn out completely horrible. But in fifth grade- that week everyone in the grade entered the district- wide poetry competition- things changed. 


You see, I have a best friend named Ria. She's a year above me in Math, and also in Honors, and Accelerated Language Arts. 

Gifted. That's what she was. And that's what I wasn't. Sure, I was clever. I could grasp concepts easily and was one of the best writers in the class. But at school, creative writing doesn't matter. Only technicality, grammar, the proper use of words in sentences mattered. Though I was writing Fan Fictions at a quicker pace than anyone else, though I was sticking with my idea and not getting bored, though I was persevering- and trust me- there were literal tears and drops of blood that stained those pages- though I fought, and fought, and fought, none of it mattered. 


The results for the competition came back a week or so later; surprises of surprises, Ria got first place. 


I still remember everything that had happened in second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth grade. Last year...last year was by far the best. 


Last year, I wasn't bullied. 


Last year, everyone was my friend, except for an unnamed few who practically told me to my face that they were jealous. 


Last year, my skills were noticed. 


Last year, I started an original series. Now, I'm holding the first book of eight in my hands, taking a short break from reading Chapter 17, page 109, to write this all down. Hopefully, sometime in the future, I'll have the entire series lined up on the white shelf in my room. I know it won't be soon. At best, eight years. 

I still can't believe that I finished writing Book One- hopefully I can get it published soon, seeing that I want to start writing the second one. I can't believe I just said that- well, wrote it down. I'm literally thirteen. Most thirteen-year-old girls aren't wanting to publish a book at that age. But, then again, I'm not normal. I'm not the stereotype who likes pretty pink glitter, shiny makeup, and fashionable clothes. (I'm not saying that I'm not trendy, but you know...) I'm more of an artsy type- I've written that In here about 6000 times- but it's true, Wren. I try my best to be confident, I try my best to be the best I can be, and I'm ambitious beyond belief. That's a good mix for an author, right, Wren? :) 


If you're reading this right now, Wren, know that the seasons have turned multiple times. With every fall of snow, every shower of rain, every ray of sunlight and tousling of the summer winds, I learn something. I learn how to write about the elements, I learn about how rewarding life can be if you put in the time and energy. 


But I'm willing to work, and I'm willing to wait. So, book eight, I'll see you later. Book one, Chapter 17, continue. 


The teenage author I've always wanted to be, 


-Katri Angelina Rivendell

June 18, 2020 21:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

Kate Reynolds
13:51 Dec 11, 2020

Hi Mira! I loved how the story was formatted as a diary, and how you gave the diary a name! Great job!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:53 Dec 11, 2020

I'm so glad you liked it! I also wanted to thank you for including me in your bio- it means a lot! :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:54 Dec 11, 2020

You're welcome! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sadie Black
22:12 Jun 24, 2020

Your character's enthusiasm jumps off the page! This was a really fun diary entry that reminds me of myself at that age. Great encouragment for all writers to keep going.

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:44 Jun 25, 2020

I'm glad that you enjoyed it! I still write in a diary...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roshna Rusiniya
06:25 Jun 20, 2020

I loved the way how you narrated the story. Beautiful. Great job!

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:40 Jun 20, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
07:00 Jun 21, 2020

You are very welcome! If you have time, have a look at mine too. Thank you!❤️

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:33 Jun 21, 2020

I did- it was a great story, and I can definitely relate to having writer's block! (:

Reply

Roshna Rusiniya
15:35 Jun 21, 2020

Thank you! Really appreciate it!

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:36 Jun 21, 2020

No problem! (:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
02:51 Dec 07, 2020

Ok so let's start I love to write in my diaries and my diaries name is a phoenix. Even I love to name my diary. When I was in 5th grade my cousin gave me harry potter to read but I hated the first chapter. But fell in love with it after 7 years. I am a Slytherinian. People kinda bullied me because they were jealous of me. Yes, people do not respect creative writing. love this unique diary entry. Keep writing.

Reply

Mira Caplan
02:55 Dec 07, 2020

I'm a Slytherin, too! I wouldn't say that people don't respect creative writing, but rather don't find it interesting. It's a matter of opinion, really, but I understand where you're coming from with that. Thanks for reading!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:07 Dec 07, 2020

welcome. Could you give your feedback on some of my stories? Ok I know it sounds political but doesn't do it unless you want to. It's nice if we help somebody but here some people like to give the same comment to everyone and then make other people write their stories and all. And when we ask for anything they back off. Just warning you. *Intentions*

Reply

Mira Caplan
03:42 Dec 07, 2020

I'd be happy to give my feedback on your stories when I can.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
12:45 Oct 22, 2020

This is how stream of consciousness should be done. Work it until it feels smooth without losing the spontaneity. I don't have much to say because Stream of consciousness never works for me beyond fifty words or so. Impressive for you to carry it off for an entire story.

Reply

Mira Caplan
18:19 Oct 23, 2020

Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
18:05 Jun 27, 2020

I like the narration and flow of this story; perfect for the diary and journal format!

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:10 Jun 27, 2020

I'm glad you liked it- I used my own diary entries at experience!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.