Migratory birds such as the grey owl ,woodpecker , waxwing and coal-tit migrating for the winter.

Submitted into Contest #63 in response to: Write a story from the perspective of a bird migrating for the winter.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Mystery

The story is entitled Migratory birds such as the grey owl, woodpecker ,waxwing and coal-tit migrating for the winter.


The main reason behind why birds migrate for the winter includes among the following. Birds normally migrate to move from areas of low or decreasing resources to areas of high or increasing resources. These birds normally migrate for the winter in order to sought for food and nesting locations. Also in instances where there isn"t enough food they seek to migrate to find better places for food.

Birds normally migrate for the winter at lower latitudes in order to find for themselves nesting locations.

Bird migration is the regular seasonal movement often north and south along a flyway between breeding and some sort of wintering grounds.

Other species of birds also migrate especially during seasons of winter of lower latitudes.

Also migration carries a high cost in predation and mortality including from hunting by humans and is driven mostly by the availability of food.

Birds normally migrate to move from areas of low or decreasing resources to areas of enough resources that they can possibly survive entirely.

Again most birds migrate to find richer food sources ,seeking some safer habitats and also avoiding predators that are harmful to most birds.

Other migration behaviours are designed to ensure some sort of breeding success.

It can be noted that a good migration slows birds to survive for another generation and also birds get the pleasure of witnessing another year of migration.


As winter seems to be approaching due to the availability of insects and some other food drops ,the birds then move south again. There is an understanding of bird migration that is refected in this story. Often than not most birds fly a mile every minute.

These birds normally return from winter during the season of Spring. There is a pattern of migratory bird diversity to possibly test whether there is seasonality of winter harshness.

Also bird migration is the regular seasonal movement often north and south along a flyway between breeding and wintering grounds. Other species of birds also migrate to the winter for lower latitudes.

Migration also carries high costs in predation and some mortality , including from hunting by humans.

This is driven primarily by the availability of food. It also occurs mainly in the Northern hemisphere ,where birds are funneled on to some specific routes by natural barriers.

It can be noted that a flock of barnacle geese fies away during Autumn migration. There are also instances of long distance bird migration routes.

There are threats to some migratory birds that have grown with habitat destruction especially of stopover and other wintering sites as well as structures such as power lines and wind farms.


Again the Artic tern holds the long distance migration records for birds ,travelling between Arctic breeding grounds and the Antarctic each year.

As noted shorter migrants are common between some birds including altitudinal migrations on mountains such as the Andes and Himalayas.

The timing of migration also seems to be controlled primarily by changes in day length.

Also migrating birds navigate using celestial cues from the sun and stars ,the Earth's magnetic field and mental maps.

Some polynesians suggest that bird migration was observed and interpreted for more than 3000 years.

Other records of bird migration were also known in Europe from at least the period 3000 years ago.

Migration of species of birds such as storks, turtle ,doves and swallows was recorded as many as some 3000years ago. Other techniques used in bird ringing and satellite tracking helps to trace migrants especially birds.

Other threats to migratory birds have grown with habitat destruction especially of stopover and wintering sites as well as structures such as power lines and wind farms.

The Artic tern holds the long distance migration record for birds , travelling between the Artic breeding grounds and the Antarctic each year for the winter. Also some species of tubenoses (Procellariiformes) such as birds of albatrosses circles the entire earth flying over the southern oceans while others such as Manx shearwaters migrate 14,000km between their northern breeding grounds and the southern oceans. Other shorter migrations are common including altitudinal migrations are common on mountains such as the Andes and Himalayas. Also migrating birds do navigate using celestial cues from the sun and stars the Earth's magnetic field.

Bird migration was observed and interpreted for more than 3000 years. Birds return for a week or two to warmer latitudes. Again between the islands of Menorca and Majorca, we can see a great number of birds flying northward and also states the situation. Birds like Swallows do not in any material instance differ from other birds in their nature and propensities but they leave us.

Also migration of birds occurs in Roebuck Bay in Western Australia.


Again the advantages of migration of birds offsets the high stress , physical exertion costs and other risks of migration.

During migration of birds , predation is observed to occur entirely.

The Mediterranean Islands also has a late breeding season coordinated with the Autumn passage of southbound passerine migrants ,which feeds to its young. Again a similar stategy is always adopted by the greater noctule bat which preys on some sort of nocturnal passerine migrants.

As observed the higher concentrations of some migrating birds at some sort of stop over sites makes them prone to parasites and other pathogens which requires a heightened immune response. It is noted that not all population may be migratory of birds which is known as Partial migration.

Again Partial migration of birds are also very common in the southern continents in Australia . It is noted that almost fourty percent of non-passerine birds and thirty two percent of passerine species are partially migratory.


As observed in some species the population at higher lattitudes tends to be migratory and will often form winter at some lower lattitudes.

There are suitable wintering habitats that may be occupied . Some fully migratory species of birds shows a leap-frog migration within birds that normally nest at some higher lattitudes and spend the winter at lower lattitudes.

Other birds including the female chaffinches ,Fringilla celebs in Eastern.

Fennoscandia migrstes earlier in the season of Autumn than males normally do.

Mostly the European birds such as the tits of genera Parus and Canisters only migrate during their first year.

Other migration begins with birds starting off in some sort of broad front. Often than not this front narrows into one or more preferred routes termed as flyways.

The routes taken on forward and return during migration are often different. Another common pattern in North America is observed as clockwise migration where birds flying North tend to be further West likewise the others flying South tend to shift Eastwards.

Also as observed birds migrate in flocks . It can be observed that Red knots Calidris canutus and dunlins Calidris alpina were found in radar studies to fly at 5km /h (3.1mph) faster in flocks than when they were flying alone.

It is noted that most birds fly at some varying attitudes during migration.

Again an expedition to Mountain Everest found skeletons of birds like Northern pintail ,Anas acura and black tailed godwit Limosa at 5000m on the Khumbu Glacier. Other birds like the bar headed geese Anser indicus have been recorded by GPS flying at up to 6,450 metres while crossing the Himalayas within the same time.

They seem to engage in the highest rates of climb to higher altitudes for any bird. The Anecdotal Reports of birds flying much higher are yet to be corroborated with any direct evidence.

Other Seabirds do fly low over water but gains altitude when crossing land likewise the pattern seen in land birds.


However most birds migration is in the range 150 metres to 600 metres( 490 to 1,970 ft).

Other Birds also strike Aviation records from the United shows most collisions occurs below 600m (2000ft) and almost none above 1,800 metres(5,900ft).

Also bird migration is not limited to birds that can fly. Other species of Penguin (Spheniscidae) migrates normally by swimming . Other birds like Emus Dromscius noraehollandiae in Australia have been observed to undertake long distance movements on foot during droughts.

When participating in nocturnal migration ,many birds give some sort of Nocturnal Flight calls which are short contact type calls.

These calls serves to maintain the composition of a migrating flock and can sometimes encode the gender of a migrating individual. Birds normally serve to avoid collision in the air.

Nocturnal migration can also be motivated using radar data which can be used to also estimate the number of birds migrating on a given night ,as well as the direction of the migration.

Also the geese are our only migratory birds of more than six hundred and fifty species of North American breeding birds.


Finally it can be noted that migrating birds can cover thousands of miles in their annual travels often travelling the same year after year with some little deviation.

Birds combines several different types of senses when they navigate.

Other smaller birds tends to also migrate in broad fronts across landscapes.


Lastly, I will like to conclude that the migration of birds of several thousand miles is a dangerous and arduous undertaking during the winter because of the lack of some adequate food, bad weather and increased exposure to some predators adds hazards to their journey.




October 14, 2020 12:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.