Show Appreciation, Communicate Clearly, and Assume the Best!

Submitted into Contest #261 in response to: Write a story in the form of a series of thank you cards.... view prompt

12 comments

Funny Fiction

From: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>

To: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Conference room projector

29 July 2024, 10:37 

Message:

Hi Jay,


Thanks so much for your clear request! I hear you, that projector is giving trouble big time, and I'm on the case of getting it fixed. I thank you for your patience, in advance - Kelly, James, Linda, and Jude are all out sick today, so we're a bit tight staffed in IT today. Not to worry though, I'll get to it as soon as I can!


Thanks,

Max



From: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

To: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Conference room projector

29 July 2024, 13:36

Message:

Good afternoon Maxine,


Thanks so much for your helpful reply, I recognise the work you'll need to put in to get it done in a timely fashion. As I said in my first email, I'll appreciate it being functional by my meeting at 4PM today. In fact, I'm thankful that you'll obviously be putting my task to the top of the IT priority queue. I acknowledge your commitment to getting it fixed when so many of your team have been struck down by a mystery illness, and all at once too! 


Sincere appreciation,

Jay



From: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>

To: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Conference room projector

29 July 2024, 15:32

Message: 

Yo Jay,


Thanks for checking the publicly visible IT priority queue! As I'm sure you can see, there are a lot of tasks in there, and as you'll notice, I've prioritised yours as "High", making it the 23rd "High" priority task we need to deal with this week! I'm so thankful for you for your talent for lateral thinking, which I'm sure you'll apply with the whiteboard I've temporarily put in the main conference room. A little low-tech I know, but I can only appreciate how good you are at dealing with these things. For tomorrow I'm absolutely sure you'll be thankful for the temporary portable projector I'll be putting in there, once it's released by Mrs Chan!


Cheers,

Max



From: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

To: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Conference room projector

29 July 2024, 17:05

Message:

Good evening Maxine,


I'm grateful for your work so far, that whiteboard was so close to what I was hoping for, and I enjoyed the challenge of working through that meeting without my slides. I can't help but notice that the permanent projector fix doesn't seem to have moved up in the queue at all since it was filed, so I'll be eternally filled with gratitude when I see that you have worked through whatever it is that is impeding getting the projector fixed. It warms my heart to see that you will be placing a temporary projector in the conference room for all the meetings that I and others will be having in there. Maxine, I can't emphasise enough how this act of forethought and professionalism will improve my day!


Thanks again,

Jay



From: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

To: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Conference room projector

30 July 2024, 15:22

Message:

Maxine,


It is with trepidation, but also thanks to the gods of email who surely blocked my last message getting to you, that I once again get the opportunity to thank you for your efforts so far. As I have not heard back from you, it must be the case that my last expression of my feelings regarding your labours did not arrive intact. I acknowledge that the temporary projector placed in the large conference room at the start of the day today was a boon, for which we must all express our indebtedness, but unfortunately, it was clearly even more appreciated by Mrs Chan who has reclaimed it for herself. With regret I must once again thank you for moving the repair up in the priority queue - I believe if "High" it was, then perhaps "Urgent" it should now be!


With the kindest of regards,

Jay



From: Andi Garnet <andi.garnet@digipencils.biz>

To: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Unresponsive team member

31 July 2024, 14:22

Message:

Dear Jay,


Thank you for reaching out to HR regarding the lack of response you're getting from our wonderful IT Support Engineer, Maxine. It's lovely to hear from you - you should drop by my office sometime! In any case, what a fan-tas-tically worded description of what's going on, and I'm ecstatic that you're being so constructive in how you're approaching the situation. Max has obviously been very busy, but don't you worry, we'll get to the bottom of why she's not replied to your last couple messages.  Let's just remember to live our corporate values of Show Appreciation, Communicate Clearly, and Assume the Best!


Hah, who knows, perhaps it's an IT issue!


Yours sincerely,

Andi



From: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

To: Andi Garnet <andi.garnet@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Unresponsive team member

31 July 2024, 16:48

Message:

Afternoon Andi,


Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I just want to emphasise, the thing that I will be most truly appreciative of is when the projector in the large conference room is fixed. I have nothing but respect for our wonderful IT team — we're all in this together! My utmost obligation to you for reminding me of our values, without those, where would we be!


Kind regards,

Jay



From: Andi Garnet <andi.garnet@digipencils.biz>

To: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Followup from our conversation

1 August 2024, 11:15

Message:

Dear Max,


I just wanted to reach out to show my appreciation for the time and thought you gave to our conversation earlier today. It was both kind and considerate of you to assume the best and allow me the time to help you understand the concern your colleague, Jay Collingwood, is feeling for you in your lack of response to his emails. I want to further thank you for communicating clearly to me the status of the projector in the large conference room and the large list of tasks that face you on a given day, your choice of words was so expressive! Truly, now I understand a little more of the challenges facing you, and believe I can help to bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion. To quickly reiterate the outcomes of our discussion, we agreed that you would quickly bring about a resolution, by acquiring a new projector for the large conference room — initiative that warms my heart. Once again, and on behalf of the company, thank you!


Yours sincerely,

Andi



From: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>

To: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

CC: Andi Garnet <andi.garnet@digipencils.biz>; Hamish Warden <hamish.warden@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Re: Conference room projector

1 August 2024, 13:26

Message: 

Hi Jay!


Thank you so much for bringing Andi in to help us resolve the situation. There's nothing that makes my day more than a visit from HR! I don't know if Andi's reached out to you yet, but they approved the expense of a new projector - what a win!


Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that I've passed the purchase order to Hamish at our facilities team (CC'd) — as the projector is built in they need to buy the right kind of unit and install it. I'm sure they'll get back to you soon! 


Cheers,

Max



From: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

To: Hamish Warden <hamish.warden@digipencils.biz>

Subject: New conference room projector install

1 August 2024, 16:04

Message:

Good afternoon Hamish,


I just wanted to reach out to thank you in advance for getting this conference room projector situation sorted out quickly! If you could let me know when it will be done, I'd be extremely appreciative — I really need it by the start of next week.


Kind Regards,

Jay



From: Hamish Warden <hamish.warden@digipencils.biz>

To: Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Out of Office Re: New conference room projector install

1 August 2024, 16:05

Message:

Thanks for your email. I am out of office from the 29th of July until the 16th of August on holiday in the Bahamas. Please direct all urgent queries to the head of facilities, Petra Seaworth. 


Happy holidays!

Hamish.



From: Andi Garnet <andi.garnet@digipencils.biz>

To: Maxine Leyland <maxine.leyland@digipencils.biz>; Jay Collingwood <jay.collingwood@digipencils.biz>

Subject: Showing appreciation

2 August 2024, 09:05

Message:


Dear Jay, Max,


Wonderful work you two! Great to see your clear communication. I couldn't be happier to work with two people who are so awesome to each other. If you ever need my help again, you know where to find me!


Yours sincerely, 

Andi



August 02, 2024 08:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

12 comments

Sophie P
07:55 Aug 08, 2024

This is a such clever take on the prompt which shows a mastery of corporate subtext! Certainly puts me in the mind of W1A. Well done!

Reply

Jeremy Burgess
11:26 Aug 09, 2024

Thanks for the kind words Sophie - yeah, it speaks to my day to day at work more than I'd care to admit!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Fox
15:51 Aug 06, 2024

So much fun! I laughed out loud at parts - this is absolutely how office emails go around here, too. Nicely done!

Reply

Jeremy Burgess
11:25 Aug 09, 2024

Thanks so much Amanda! It was fun to write :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.D. Adler
05:03 Aug 04, 2024

This was so much fun! I love the way you conveyed sarcasm and passive aggression. The pacing was masterful and it was beautifully written. I found myself reaaally wanting that projector fixed myself, haha. Well done!

Reply

Jeremy Burgess
05:22 Aug 04, 2024

Thanks so much for reading! I really appreciate the feedback. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
16:29 Aug 03, 2024

I so needed the chuckle today. Being fluent in sarcasm myself, I appreciate the tone of this piece and how easily the tone was conveyed through the series of emails. That is not easy to do, and you nailed it.

Reply

Jeremy Burgess
08:43 Aug 04, 2024

Thanks for reading Myranda! Yeah, there's nothing quite like a passive aggressive email. Appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
04:34 Aug 03, 2024

😂 Haha, this was hilarious, a super creative take on the prompt, and very well written! I find it very hard to express things like sarcasm or passive aggressiveness in writing because there’s no tone of voice. It’s doubly difficult when it’s with characters the reader has never met before. You did an awesome job with it though, all of the frustration and annoyance came right through the friendly words. Awesome work!

Reply

Jeremy Burgess
05:15 Aug 03, 2024

Thanks McKade! Really appreciate the commentary, and yes, that was exactly what I was hoping to achieve 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
12:24 Aug 02, 2024

Ha ! Corporate speak. Got to love it ! Lovely work !

Reply

Jeremy Burgess
20:24 Aug 02, 2024

Thanks for reading Alexis! Appreciate the kind comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.