0 comments

Black Holiday Asian American

In the small city of Entofield, A black woman named Ski who's around 24 years old works at the hospital as the top surgeon. She's around 5'7, not slim nor phat, wears glasses, and always has a smile on her face even when she's stressed. It's the start of December where the hospital has been decorated with Christmas items, Ski hasn't celebrated Xmas since she was 16. It wasn't a personal issue she just didn't feel the spirit of it anymore, Xmas was just another busy day for her. Ski had a best friend who worked with her named Kiara, they've been friends for 5 years now and she was Ski's right hand woman.

Kiara always cared for Ski especially when it came towards holidays where Ski would act a little cold or like she didn't care but Kiara knew she did. Ski felt lonely seeing how so many couples, friends, and families would be out celebrating while she cures the sick and injured. But what Ski didn't know that this would be a different Xmas season that would change her life. Ski worked in South Korea so her and Kiara were the only black women in the hospital so they tend to get a lot of suitors who wanted to be with them but Ski wasn't interested in short term love.

Kiara had fun getting attention meanwhile Ski would throw away any gifts that the suitors would bring. "Ski why don't you open up more, at least someone likes you" Said by Kiara, she just wanted Ski to smile like she did during Halloween which is the only holiday Ski likes. Ski sighed to herself knowing Kiara was right but Ski didn't want her office full of flowers and gifts from more than 10 strange men she would never see again. Kiara prayed for a Xmas miracle to where Ski could finally be happy during this season.

On the 3rd day of December, a tall slender man with light pinkish colored skin walked the hospital halls with a suit and doctor's coat. The female workers and patients were amazed at how handsome he was, he was around 6'0, broad shoulders, he had silver dyed hair that was in a mullet style and he had a cute dimple smile. The ladies would bow and try to flirt but he would walk away before they had the chance, he was the first doctor to do that. Ski was at the front desk on her floor talking to a fellow nurse when she heard gasps around her, Ski turned her head to see the handsome hunk of a doctor walking towards them.

Ski was stunned from how handsome 1 man could be, he introduced himself as Kim Johnathan, he transferred from Rockwell hospital. It surprised Ski how she couldn't take her eyes off him but her trance ended when the man spoke in a gentle but deep tone "Hello doc". Ski got shy so she bowed and sped walked to her office, forgetting she had to show Johnathan around the hospital. After a few minutes of convincing Ski to show him around, she finally softened a bit and agreed. Ski showed him the ropes of how everything worked and where things were and how to call for help if anything crazy happened. Their session got interrupted when a nurse came running, telling Ski that a patient came in with a gun wound needed her help.

Ski ran towards the surgery room, but stopped after hearing deep toned voices yelling at the nurses, they seemed to be family of the patient. 1 tall man slapped a doctor in the head with a gun after yelling where i was since they knew Ski was a top surgeon. It angered Ski so she stomped down the hall and yelled to make everyone look at her, it was very rare of Ski to raise her voice especially at work. A shorter male was only 2 inches taller than her walked up to her as his shiny blond hair was bouncing, he was telling her how his brother got shot and they needed her to help them. Ski agreed even though she didn't like how his friends were destroying things and hurting doctors, after 2 more hours she saved the patient.

It was now December 14th and Xmas was inching up closer, Johnathan was growing closer to Ski, which she didn't mind but she didn't know that the man she saved was also having feeling for her but he wasn't a regular guy...he was a Mafia King. Ski knew but promised not to tell anyone cause she didn't want to lose her job nor have the guy locked up since he wasn't such a bad guy around her. The king was around 5'10, slim but lean so you could tell he works out, he had long black hair, he had a scary reputation but his big doe eyes made Ski feel soft..which was very new. Ski had a meeting with a very rich man and her board of directors who were speaking on a deal with combing with the man's business. Ski was okay with the deal but she didn't know there was a catch, the rich man by the name of Romeo was interested in Ski.

He was only one of the suitors who send Ski many gifts but he knew not to send expensive things cause Ski would just trash them like it was nothing. Romeo wanted to marry him in order for him to let the hospital get any shares from his business. Ski didn't have a clue but the whole board knew on it, so that decision could cause all types of feelings. Ski wasn't ready for relationships she only wanted the hospital to be in a better situation to get better tools. Romeo thought he had her in his hands but he didn't know that there were 2 other men who also wanted Ski's heart...or would there be another?

It finally hit December 19th, people were buying so many gifts for the holidays, some were a bit too happy that a few car accidents would happen or drunks would come in for a mini rehab. There was 1 patient who was in the psych ward for 2 years, he had a lot of trauma issues in his past so he was clingy when it came to love. He was 5'11, had short brown hair, but he was too handsome to be in such a crazy state of mind. His original doctor Miss Lee had transferred so Ski had to fill in for her, Ski liked the patient cause he wasn't bad scary as people thought but that was only because he grew attached to how nice she was. Ski didn't realize she had 4 suitors who wanted nothing but her attention, care and love. She thought it was just work related and the people were being friendly cause of the "Holiday Spirit".

Ski worked extra hard the next few days and finally Xmas eve was here! The hospital wanted to throw a party for the nurses and doctors, also for the patients who've been healing very well. It was around 8pm, Ski was wearing a cute dress under her doctor coat while chatting with Kiara. The hospital had put up a huge tree outside of the hospital so a few patients and most of the doctors and nurses were outside having a blissful time with each other. Johnathan was preparing his gift for Ski, Romeo was with the board waiting to give her gift, the mafia king showed up also with his gift, The psych ward patient who was called Kookie also had a small gift for Ski.

It was inching closer to 12 and everyone was passing out gifts, an intercom came on telling everyone to go to the tree where a surprise would happen, Ski not knowing it was about her. The board walked up with Romeo with a huge smile on his face, Ski was confused by his face. He started telling Ski how he had a crush on her for a while, sending her small gifts and that he wanted a marriage between them in sake of the hospital to get any help from him. Ski was shocked but Johnathan showed up yelling out he also wanted to marry Ski, the crowd gasped. Then Kookie walked up saying how he fell in love with Ski and wanted to marry her, making someone faint. The mafia king walked up as well with his guards saying out loud how he wanted Ski and that was final.

Ski was speechless when she saw her 4 suitors in front of her, she only saw Johnathan as a friend, she somewhat had feelings for Kookie and the King but she also had her job on the line with Romeo...Who did Ski pick? Does she follow her job or will she follow her heart, risking the hospital's benefit?

December 21, 2020 16:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.