3 comments

Adventure Drama Thriller

I was in the middle of the country running through a dark dense forest. It was so dark and full of shadows I barely could see as i ran away from him. I could hear my heartbeat in my own ears as i ran. it was like a dumb viberating louder and louder. I could feel the pulse in my throat, and my thoart was raw from screaming. Screams that were never heard by anyone, because i was deep in the woods. The tress that surrounded my muffled my cries, and hid my screams for help. Help that would most likely. I tried to be quiet when I ran now, because i lost him a few minutes ago...or was it hours? It felt like I had been running forever, but when you were scared for your life everything slowed down. I franticly searched the ground for soft surfaces to run on, moss, pine straw, grass. Anything that would muffle the sound of my pounding feet, and leave the smallest trail behind me. I knew to look out for mud, leaves, branches, and roots. If they were hit too hard not only would they make a lot of noise, but they would break or leave an imprint. That was something I could not afford right now.

I didn't risk looking behind myself for him. I couldn't hear his laborious breathing, his stomping feet, or his shout for me to stop running anymore. But I was afraid if i looked back I would see him. Or I would trip, and then he would have me again. So I kept running praying that i would find my way out of these woods, and not die trying. I knew if I went too far in i could get lost for days, and with it being so close to winter it would get even colder as the night went on. Once i stopped running i would notice how cold the air was, how the damp and cold the ground was. i wouldn't be able to stay warm for long, and curling up on the cold wet ground was out of question. I knew i didn't know how to start a fire, even if the stick were dry. And the sticks weren't dry, because it had been raining almost nonstop for the past three days, and only just stopped raining about four hours ago. I could see my breath in clouds in front of my face threw my teary eyes. I tried to rub my eyes clearing them, and think of a way out of this.

I knew the main road was behind me, and that would be were any chance of other people would be. But to go backwards would be to run back into his arms. I didn't really know where I was because he had driven me far away from any location I knew. So I didn't know which way to go that would lead me back to other people, or another road. And he had my phone, so I couldn't call for help. I tried to keep myself calm, as I ran. And i tried to clear my brain, so I could think. But it was too hard.

Infact, it was too painful to even think. The back of my head was throbbing from where my head hit the side of the car door when the car crashed. And I knew if I touched the back of my head it would be bleeding. It was a miracle I didn't black out, but I gave credit to the adrenaline that was going. I was sure that once i calmed down I'd most likely pass out. And then I would have the new fear of a concussion...

But all that mattered now was getting away from him. So I kept pushing forward. I kept sprinting through the trees, and over the bushes. I didn't even try and remember where I was turning. I just kept zig zagging hoping if he was still behind me, he would have no idea where I went.

Eventually I saw the most amazing thing in the world. i saw headlights! They were coming through the cracks in the trees. And I heard the rush of cars driving on pavement. For once my fear was replace with a jolt of pure joy, and i almost felt myself laugh. Although I had no idea why i would be laughing at a time like this. I blamed it on my head wound. Then I pushed forward toward the cars.

I was so close! I could see the cars now just down a little slope. This was it! All I had to do was make it to the side of the road, and call out for help. I could see several cars, so i knew at least one would stop. And maybe another could call the cops. This was my victory. I suddenly started to cry again, as relief overwhelmed me. And the more I cried the more my heard pounded. I knew I had to look like a miss, but i didn't care. I was almost fear of this nightmare. I was descending the hill, about to be at the road.

And then I fell.

I didn't see that what i thought was a slop was actually a ditch. It was at least a seven foot drop, and I went right into it. I felt myself tip forward, and then the view of the road was gone. Then I was tumbling down the ditch until I stopped at the bottom. I knew I twisted my ankle as I fell, because I felt a sharp red hot pain. My right elbow hit a rock, and torn a hole in mt sweater. My already throbbing head now felt like it was going to explode, and I laid on my side with my eyes barely open. My clothes was covered in dirt, mud, leaves, and pine straw. I was damp, muddy, cold, and bleeding. I couldn't urge myself to move. I just laid there on my side assessing the situation. My right arm was above my head, with my head leaning on it like a pillow. My hair was matted in front of my face, and a strand of it stuck to my lower lip, which had split open during the fall. My body was stiff, and my head felt heavy. I no longer could hear my heartbeat, or feel my pulse. I no longer could feel anything. I was just numb, and cold. I felt a violent shiver go through my body, and then I closed my eyes too tired to keep them open.

I was laying down on a soft surface. It wasn't exactly soft, but it wasn't a hard wet ground anymore. And I was on my back now instead of my side. My whole body felt heavy and stiff. My legs were straight ahead, and my hands laid across my stomach. My head no longer hurt, but it was groggy and heavy still, and it felt like there was swirling slush inside of it. That's when i was aware that what I laid on was moving, like I was in a car. Suddenly, I felt nausea. My dry lips barely cracked open, and I let out a low short moan. My throat wasn't soar anymore, but it was dry and the moan almost sounded like a squeak.

That's when I felt something slightly shift under my feet, and I felt something lightly clasp my ankle. It was a low deep voice, "Are you finally waking up? You had quite an adventure and fall."

Even though my body wasn't moving I froze. That voice...it was his voice. It was the voice of the man chasing me. It was the voice of the man who had caught me. It was the voice of the man who caught me again. I sucked in a quick short breath, and tried to crack my eyes open. My eyelids felt heavy, and slightly swollen from lack of sleep, but I managed to open them enough to make out my surroundings. I was indeed laying on my back in the back of a car. Based from the faint color in the sky it was almost morning with the sun trying to rise. I had no idea how long I had been outside, or in this car for that matter. My eyes shifted around picking out it was a different car from what crashed. This one looked like a SUV, and there was another unfamiliar man driver driving the car. In the back seat was the man from earlier. My feet rested in his lap, and he was watching me carefully, with a smile forming on his lips. My insides started to slowly twist, as i looked at him. This was the man that would haunt my nightmares. 

He wasn't scary looking by any means. If anything he was a rather good looking man. He was tall with broad shoulder, and well formed arms. He had long fit legs, and a well built up chest. Not that i could really tell under his blue sweater, but it was tight enough on him to show that he worked out. And it wasn't the kind of body that screamed body builder, but it was obvious that he cared for himself. He had a strong jaw line with a little bit of dark stubble growing off of it. He had lips that looked smile, and gave a trustworthy smile. His eyes were brown, and seemed to change shades in darker shadows. They were almost mysterious, but also warm and welcoming. His hair was short, dark, thick, with a little bit of a wave to it. It looked soft, like it long to be touched or have your fingers curl into it. His skin looked smooth and barely touched by the sun, not pale, but not tan either. In other words he was strong, and handsome. He was mysterious, and inviting. This is what made him so dangerous. It is what had allowed me to get so close to him earlier. It was what made me not see him as a threat. 

Until now of course. Now his presence was not only was dreadful, but filled me with an unsettling amount of fear. I tried to move, but it was an extreme effect. All my muscles seemed to ach, and didn't want to budge. My head spun, and I had to clinch my eyes and mouth shut, which made me realize how much pressure was in my head. It was obvious I had whip lash from the crash, and a concussion that was going to be lasting. All I managed to do was bend my knees, so my legs where off his lap, and slid back and up the door of the car slightly. My soar back complained, and where i hit my head on the car door earlier flared up, as the door handle to this car pressed into it. It wasn't comfortable at all, but it was better than being near him. 

He made a disappointed grimace as he watched me cringe away, but then it faded into a smile again as he slide closer to me on the seat. He place a hand on my knee, and gave it a gentle squeeze. "I would take it easy if I was you. You had a pretty rough night. Wouldn't want you to make your conditions worse." His hand started to slowly rub circles on my kneecap, as if he was trying to comfort me. "Not to surprised with the condition you put my car into." His smile grew, "Don't worry. I forgive you. it is just a car. And I got a back up now, and another set of hands too help handle you." He patted the headrest of the driver seat. "What is important is that we are both ok...well most of us." Then he leaned closer so he could rest his chin on my knees and look down on me. His brown eyes where soft and smiling. His lips curved up happily. If it wasn't him I would have found it charming. "The most important thing is that I have you back."

I jerked my knee enough to cause his chin to slip. Instead of being irritated he chuckled, and sat up straight. His hand was still on my knee. I wiggled my hand slowly behind my back, and reached for the door handle. It was hard and painful, and I gave it a tug. It did not open. They had child lock on. I wanted to be disappointed, but at the same time I knew it wouldn't end well to fall backwards out of a moving car. But I was hoping the door opening would cause them to have to stop it to fix it, and then I could make my break for it. So I went for a different tactic. I meet his eyes, and attempted talking. I had to clear my throat out several times to get my voice back, and it was still weak. "You seem to care about me. So you should bring me to the hospital. I need a doctor." I tried to seat up again, and managed to slump up against the door. I put a shaky hand to my head, "I don't feel good. I think I'm going to be sick." I could feel a thin layer on watery saliva fill my otherwise cotton dry mouth, like it did when I was about to throw up.

"James, would you crack the window open? Give us some fresh air." The man directed to the man driving. Within seconds my window, as well as the others cracked open about two inches each. Cold air blew in, and it made me shiver, but my nausea subsided. Then the turned slightly in his seatbelt, so he could face me better. He made a concerned smile. "I do care for you, but you don't need a hospital. You are suffering from a bad concussion is all, and a bad fall. After we get you back I can take care of you." 

Without thinking I forced myself up to a full seated positioned, and replied back in the steadiest voice I could manage. "I don't want you to take care of me." I held his brown eyes with mine, and then looked away. "I want to go." I looked at how far the steering wheel was away from me. It was definitely further away than the steering wheel was when I was in the front seat of the car, with the man. I was able to grab it, and whip it toward that tree on the side of the road then. If I could move fast all I would have to do is jerk the driver, then he would lose control just enough to swerve into the ditch next to the road. It would be enough to get the car to stop. Then I could fight my way out of the locked car. Even with how sore I was I felt like I could figure it out.

"Don't you dare think about touching that wheel." The man's voice was suddenly filled with venom, and his sentence made me jerk my head back towards him. He knew what I had been thinking, and he did not look happy. "Don't you dare think about moving. I was nice enough to keep you untied, but I can change my mind." He had a frown on his face, and his lips where now thin and pale. The sparkle in his eyes where gone, and his eyebrows casted a small shadow over his eyes making them almost black. He leaned forward slightly, so he could reach a hand over the shoulder of the passenger seat Infront of me. His arm was like an iron bar blocking me off. His appearance was almost haunting, and I wasn't sure if it was him or the wind that made me shiver now. 

I slowly turned in my seat, and pulled my seatbelt down to buckle myself in. I tried to not sound as timid as I felt. "I was just getting my seatbelt."

He slowly eased back into his seat, carefully watching me. "Good girl, good." And then he looked forward slowly, and started tapping his fingers slowly on the armrest on the door. I watched his lift hand lightly dance, almost artfully on the armrest. I noticed how his hand had no ring on it. Just as I had earlier. But this time I didn't wonder how a guy that looked like him didn't have a wife. This time I wondered if i would get out of this with a life.  

May 06, 2021 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Allison Law
20:26 Sep 08, 2021

If you liked this story please check my others out! Ever since they made you have to pay to enter contest I haven't had as many people reading my new stories since they weren't submitted to a contest. But I love just sharing my stories and hearing feed back! So please read them!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ay Jay
17:37 May 06, 2021

The beginning was intriguing and had a great hooking paragraph, and it all came back around in the final sentence :) Great job!

Reply

Allison Law
18:11 May 06, 2021

Thanks! I was really excited when writing it, so it's good to hear that someone liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.