0 comments

Adventure Inspirational Fiction

Discovery consists not in seeking new lands but in seeing with new eyes.” – Marcel Proust

“Come again?” I stared in disbelief into the eyes of the attorney across from me.

“Yes, the requirement is that you take aerial photographs in a hot air balloon of the animals in Kruger National Park and publish a blog about the experience.  Then you will inherit the house

and land in Fort Morgan, as well as a steady income from the dividends of the investments your uncle made.”

That had been two weeks ago, and my stomach has been in knots ever since.  Now here I was in the breathtaking Kruger National Park, waiting for a guide to pick me up so I can take photographs from a hot air balloon.  It had been a scramble to get the

malaria inoculation and passport stamp and all the other pre travel requirements, but I did it.  My legs feel like jelly even thinking about that flight.  

The week before I booked the flight to Africa, I headed to my local library to check Ancestry and make sure this Mr. Anders

was in fact a distant uncle and not some kook who had seen my photographs in an art exhibit.  Oh yes, I have taken several photographs, but they were all with my feet firmly on Terra Firma; I get height sick even climbing up to the second rung of a ladder.  Yes, there he was on the family tree - uncle to my grandmother.  The house, land, and income were too good an opportunity

to pass up though, so I took myself in hand, gritted my teeth, and prepared in every possible way I could think of. I had watched the “pre-flight” briefing that I received from the tour company at least ten times and could probably recite every word I was that nervous.  Better safe than sorry, I thought.  My determination must be stronger than my hesitation.  I took several deep breaths and closed my eyes. Sleep I knew was an impossible hope, but at least I would be well rested. I listened to the night sounds to help calm my nerves.

I was wide awake at 4:00 AM.  Okay Uncle Anders I thought to myself, I hope you are pleased with yourself. My ride will be here soon.  I just hope my sweaty palms don’t make the camera fall out of my hand.  I do thank you for your very generous offer and my loyalty to family will help me follow through with your request.

Beep, beep - here goes, it’s now or never.  I stepped into the pre-dawn air and strapped myself into the jeep.  My guide said 

“Lady, are you okay?  Your face is almost as white as your top.”

“Just a bit nervous” I said quietly.

“No need to worry, you are in good hands.  My brother has not lost a passenger yet!”

“Comforting” I said, trying to smile.  I kept telling myself - think of the house, you can do this. We picked up two couples on the way to the launch site, both had been up in the balloon several times before.  One of the ladies smiled as she looked at me and spoke

“First time?”

“Uh huh” I said.

“You’ll be fine.  Here, have one of these, it will help calm you.”

She handed me a black currant lozenge made by a company I was familiar with.

“Thanks much.”  It had a nice flavor,

and I made a note to look it up on Amazon when I got back if it did calm me down.

“All aboard!  Balloon ride 9517 is

about to embark.”

We clambered over the four foot basket (now I understood the need for comfortable clothes and shoes) and settled in for the ride of a lifetime.  The heat from the balloon rapidly warmed us.  They had given us coffee and cookies before we boarded, champagne

would be given to us when we touched down.

From a safe distance we saw zebras,

elephants, seven lion cubs with two lionesses, hippos, and African wild dogs.  Snapping lots of pictures I got swept up in the moment and forgot my nerves completely.  It was really a once in a lifetime experience. The last animal we had the privilege to see was a leopard who was sitting on a rock in the sun, she had such a peaceful look.  I thought I would get that photograph enlarged for my next exhibit and place it at eye level for everyone to see.  That picture could sure tell a story. When we landed our guide ferried us off to a grove of acacia trees where we had a delicious breakfast of curry, eggs, and champagne served on fine bone china and in crystal cut glasses.  We each received a flight certificate.  I was glad to be back on Terra Firma, but was proud of myself for even making the effort to ride.  

When I returned to the United States, I uploaded the pictures to my blog and wrote about the experience (even the part about feeling extremely nervous) and emailed the attorney the link to the

article.  Five minutes later he called back with instructions on where to pick up the key to my property.  It was held at a realtor’s office for safekeeping.  The attorney assured me that the place had enough provisions for a two week stay while I got to know the area.  Willing to take the chance again, I headed to the coast.

Now, here I am in magical Fort Morgan, Alabama and I can hear the waves and see water from the balcony.  The white sand beckons me to walk for a while on it.  After changing into comfortable beach walking shoes, I spotted an envelope on the dining room table underneath the bowl of fruit.  It was addressed to me, so I opened it.

“Well done lass.  You are the only one who has successfully completed my challenge.  You are deserving of this house.  I never had the courage - petrified of heights.  I am so glad you went.  My best to you always. Love, Uncle Anders.”

I sat for a while on the balcony to take everything in.  Because I faced my fear, I was rewarded. After several deep breaths of gulf air while enjoying a nice cup of Joko tea on my balcony I spotted a little face peering at me.

“Well, hello little gecko, I am pleased to meet you.  I sure hope you stay.”

I thought to myself, I am really going to like it here, and smiled.

December 18, 2020 14:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.