A BAD CASE OF APOSIOPESIS

Submitted into Contest #238 in response to: Write a story including the line “I can’t say it.”... view prompt

38 comments

Funny Fiction

What’s more confusing than Abbott and Costello with “Who’s on first.”? The Banters of course, especially when Martha comes down with a bad case of APOSIOPESIS!


Matthew! It’s happened again!


What’s happened again?


I’m…er…stuck.


Stuck? Stuck where? In traffic?


In my…ah…


In your car? 


In a …


Bar?


No…I can’t say it!


Say what?


What I’m trying to say.


What are you trying to say?


I don’t…um…


For heavens sake, spit it out woman. What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?


I wish…I wish…


Wish what? 


I wish I had more…um…more…


Money? We don’t need more money.


No, not money.


Then what?


I don’t know how to say it!


Well, if you don’t know how to say it, then how can I help you?


You can’t…


Can’t what?


Help me.


Honey, this sounds serious.


It is. It goes way back to…um…


Back to when?


When I was just a kid. Whenever I’d become distressed…


What distressed you as a kid?


Matthew! You, of all people, know what my life was like when I was a kid!


OMG, Martha! You are so frustrating. What are you trying to say? I’ve never known you to be stuck for words. Your mouth usually runs overtime.


That’s not…


What?


That’s not…nice.


No, I guess it isn’t. But this is like the dangling conversation. Are you ever going to get to the point?


Oh, what’s the point!


Uh-Oh, ok. Now you’re mad at me. I give up. Am I going to get the silent treatment again?


Should you?


Should I what?


Well if you don’t know, then I’m not going to tell you.


Tell me what?


Never mind. It doesn’t matter.


What doesn’t matter?


I don’t …um…


What?


I can’t say it.


Could you be any more evasive? For a woman who loves to talk and write, I have never seen you so lost for words! 


That’s it!


What’s it?


You just…


What?


Nailed it.


Nailed what? Are you referring to how I fixed the gate last week? I was pleased with how well that turned out.


How what turned out?


Martha, where’s your mind today?


I think I…


What?


Lost it?


Lost what? Your way? Use the GPS. That’s why we have it, silly! When are you heading home anyway? This call is eating up my cell phone data.


Silence.


Martha? Are you still there? You’ve gone silent. Have we lost the connection? Have you hit a dead spot?


That’s a good way to put it.


Put what?


Hit a dead spot.


Why do I get the feeling this is about more than you’re not telling me?


I don’t know.


Well, you called me Martha, and so far I have absolutely no idea why. We’ve been chatting for five minutes and I still haven’t a clue what’s on your mind.


You rarely do…


Do what? 


Know what’s on my mind.


Oh, for heaven sake, Martha. I told you decades ago when you first showed me your poetry that I’m not very good at reading between the lines. I need you to spell it out.


You can say that again!


Say what again?


Well, if you don’t know what, I’m not going to help you.


I thought you called me because you needed help…not the other way around. I’m starting to get confused.


Welcome to my world.


Martha, where are you driving back from anyway? 


You mean you’ve already forgotten where I went today?


Oh sweetheart, what do you expect from my 82-year-old memory? Besides, you know how bad my hearing is. Half the time I have no idea what you’re saying.


So, when you can’t hear me, you just pretend that you know what I said?


Well, sometimes it’s easier than watching you get frustrated, trying to explain to me over and over again.


Well then, this time I can’t explain because I just can’t say it.


Say what?


What’s on my mind.


That’s right. That’s what you called me about isn’t it? There was something on your mind that you just had to tell me?


Well, sort of…


So what was it? Did something happen wherever it is you went today?


Yes, but I can’t…


What? 


I can’t quite get it out. It’s like…


Like what? 


Like I’ve come down with something.


You mean like the flu…or covid?


Well yes, but no…


So this is one of your yeses that’s really a no?


I suppose you could call it that.


Call what that?


What I have…but I can’t say it.


Why? Did you do something you don’t want me to know about? Oh wait a minute! You didn’t have an accident, did you? Is the car all right?


Thanks for asking. The car is fine. I’m not.


Oh, so you have had an accident. Sheesh! Why didn’t you say so in the first place?


Because…


Because what? 


Because I just can’t say it…


Great. So where are you? Do I have to come to wherever you are and get you?


No.


Why not?


Because I’m at home.


At home? I didn’t hear you come in.


Of course you didn’t. You’re deaf, remember? And you probably don’t have your hearing aid turned on.


Of course it’s on, silly! How can I be talking on the cell phone with you if I don’t have my hearing aid on? Wait a minute! Why are we talking on our cell phones if you’re already home?


Because of what I’m suffering with right now…


And that is?


I keep trying to tell you but I can’t find…


Find what?


The words. There! I’ve finally said it!


YOU, Martha the loquacious…can’t find the words? Since when has finding the words been a problem for you?


I already told you. Since I was a child and when I’m stressed.


Look Martha, since you’re home, can we turn off our cell phones and get to the bottom of whatever is ailing you over a cuppa?


That’d be nice Matthew. Can you go put the kettle on while I get changed into my glad rags? That’ll help me relax and maybe then I can say what’s on my mind.


Sure. Big mug or small cup?


I think I need a big cup of tea … and sympathy…if you have any.


Any what?


Sympathy


And you need sympathy why?


Because I’m feeling…


What? 


Insecure.


Why? 


Because of what I came down with at my writers’ group meeting today.


And that was? 


I can’t quite say it.


Say what?


Aposio…aposio…


You were opposed to something?


Not opposed to anything. I have aposio…oh darn! I can’t say the word!


Well what does this impossible-to-say word mean? 


It means being unable to finish a sentence. Like I just can’t say what I’m trying to. I’m really trying…


I’ll say you’re trying!


What do you mean by that, Matthew? You’re upsetting me now…


Gees honey…I’m not trying to upset you. I’m just trying to…


What?


I can’t say it…


Oh no! You too? Don’t tell me you have this aposio thingy too. It must be contagious.


Did anyone else in your writer’s group have it?


I don’t think so. When Reed, who comes up with these writing prompts for each weekly meeting, suggested that aposio word, everyone started writing. Everyone except me! It was so…


What?


Humiliating! Stressful. I couldn’t think of anything to write. I’ve been trying to get rid of writer’s block for months and then…nothing! No thoughts. No words! Total blank.


Ah…here it is!


Here what is?


The name of your affliction. I just googled “stuck for words”. The good news is the word you’re trying to say is aposiopesis.


Yes! That’s it. What’s the bad news?


You won’t like it…


Tell me anyway.


Well, don’t get mad at me but it’s actually quite serious.


I told you it was serious when we were talking on the cell phones. So…?


Well, on this website called “Mapping Ignorance”, it says…and I quote: “Being stuck for words is one of the key symptoms for an array of acute and chronic disorders. These include delirium, stroke, depression, encephalitis, psychosis, head injury, brain tumour, metabolic/genetic disorders, and neurodegenerative conditions.”*


Martha? Did you get all that? Martha? Please say something. Martha, are you mad at me now and giving me the silent treatment again? Sheesh! Martha…TALK TO ME!


Shush, Matthew! I’m calling 911.


* (Please note: website referenced and quoted below is located at https://mappingignorance.org/)
































February 21, 2024 15:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

38 comments

Irene Duchess
01:06 Mar 13, 2024

Hi Viga! Glad to see you back. :) I've missed your writing (especially the Banters). Love this one. Pretty funny, but poor Marth at the same time.

Reply

Viga Boland
13:40 Mar 13, 2024

Thanks for reading Irene. I’m afraid my offerings on Reedsy are still sporadic at best. I, too, want to write more Banters but so far none of the prompts have evoked the Banter spirit in me 😂 but I keep hoping as I want to put out a little book on the Bickering Banters but would like a few more stories before I tackle that. Hope your muse has been working for you 😉

Reply

Irene Duchess
15:31 Mar 13, 2024

always glad to read yours. I haven't really been writing on Reedsy either recently...... oh well. I hope to get back into it sometime again. I'd love to read a book on the Bickering Banters. :) happy writing!

Reply

Viga Boland
18:12 Mar 13, 2024

I’m working on it…but it’ll mostly be what’s already on here or is waiting for inspiration to strike LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
15:49 Mar 07, 2024

Loved your take on the prompt and the Banters of course!

Reply

Viga Boland
16:03 Mar 07, 2024

Thanks Wally. Trying to get myself back into writing and submitting on here but my limited self-confidence is always a deterrent. But I’ve also been indulging in something I abandoned years ago: poetry. Found a pile of pretty decent poems, some award-winners…in huge box of my scribblings from the 70’s and was surprised by their depth and insights. Am now putting together collections coupled with photos taken by my hubby over last 6 decades. Our first book “together” arrived this week and it’s stunning. Now desperately trying to do a Digital ...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
16:09 Mar 07, 2024

Wow that was fast. I remember you talking about this project. And it's already done! Can't wait to see the digital version. Congrats and let me know when it comes out!

Reply

Viga Boland
18:43 Mar 07, 2024

Guess what? The “large print” version is already live and sample is viewable at link below. Printed softcover version costs a bit but you can also get a .pdf version there for only $6.99 CAD. I’m about to do version 2 which will have more poems but smaller print. I’ll be sending that one to Amazon.com via Blurb, but printed book will be more expensive than the one on Blurb because of Amazon’s fees to sellers. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can post a pdf version on Amazon…wish I could…but .pdf’s don’t translate well in KindleCreate. Bummer ...

Reply

Wally Schmidt
20:18 Mar 09, 2024

Got my copy! Love love love the very first page. I know I'm going to need to take in each page slowly to make it last. Congratulations! Waiting for Volume 2. Where can I leave a review?

Reply

Viga Boland
06:21 Mar 11, 2024

Oh my goodness! You actually purchased a copy. I’m so flattered to think you would do that. Thanks so very much. I really hope you like it. I just uploaded the longer version to both Blurb and Amazon today. Content of Edition #2 is the same as the large print version but includes 3-4 more poems and .pdf is a couple of dollars more. The printed version of #2 will only be available on Amazon. I am planning a second photography/poetry book with different poems and photos. The poems in the coming book are more introspective and personal by co...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Linda Lambert
22:49 Mar 06, 2024

LOL!… I loved this Viga and I read it hearing your voice! reminded me of Burns and Allen… I’m still laughing…well done!

Reply

Viga Boland
15:55 Mar 07, 2024

Great! I’m not much good at writing fiction…like you are…but I try to laugh at life’s turns and love writing humor that has fun with humanity. The bickering Banters allow me to do that. Just need more prompts to trigger another bit of Banter silliness. A needed change from all the bad news out there. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:02 Feb 26, 2024

Hahahahaha ! I wanted to yell at Martha to spit it out. Great job !

Reply

Viga Boland
15:49 Feb 26, 2024

Thanks for reading this little bit of silliness Stella.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
17:54 Feb 25, 2024

In my opinion, one of your best, Viga.

Reply

Viga Boland
19:32 Feb 25, 2024

Seriously, Helen? Well, thanks very much. I’m surprised anyone even likes it LOL. How’s that for insecurity? 😂

Reply

Helen A Smith
20:25 Feb 25, 2024

Why wouldn’t they like it? A lot of people enjoy your writing on here.

Reply

Viga Boland
21:42 Feb 25, 2024

Thank you for saying that. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Patricia Casey
13:31 Feb 25, 2024

Viga, I love your writing. This was so much fun to read and perfectly written. The buildup and finale were superbly done! I hope to read more of your stories. Patricia

Reply

Viga Boland
16:05 Feb 25, 2024

Thanks for the kind words Patricia. I am making a slow re-entry to writing to Reedsy prompts. Not all of them talk to me, so be patient. That said, there are several “Banter” pieces on my page. Folks here have encouraged me to put a book or pidcast together on these two. Tossing that idea around for now. I just slipped over to your page and look forward to reading your latest submission. I read in comments on Michelle Shaay’s page that you’re also a Reedsy judge. I did that for several months but found it took away from my own writing time...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
16:09 Feb 24, 2024

I think if I didn't read Viga's stories I would generate the key symptoms for an array of acute and chronic disorders. These include delirium, stroke, depression, encephalitis, psychosis, head injury, brain tumour, metabolic/genetic disorders, and neurodegenerative conditions. Always great to read your unique take Viga. Keeps me healthy and sane. Any world where people say 'over a cuppa' I want to be part of.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:33 Feb 24, 2024

Hi Jack! Nice to be back to give those who enjoy it some more of my banter silliness. It seems that whenever I can’t come up with anything for a prompt I resort to the Banters. I almost gave up on this one, but it was such a great case of that word I can’t say even now. 😂 I had great fun riding it. It’s been a long long time. I really hope this might get me back to contributing a bit more regularly on Reedsy. I see you haven’t been submitting very much either. I checked out all my favourites when I logged back in here to post my story. Is e...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:38 Feb 23, 2024

Ah, the Banters are fun :) When I saw this prompt, I had an idea about a character literally not being able to say “aposiopesis”. I didn't go with it, but I'm glad Martha did. Her situation is probably familiar to a lot of people, not just writers. It really is an irritating situation lacking a word when you need it. But of course, about the worst thing we can do is googling a condition, because what can we find other than bad news? I'm actually surprised “cancer” wasn't on the list too, since it seems to come up for almost any search. O...

Reply

Viga Boland
23:54 Feb 23, 2024

Thanks Michael…happy to hear you and I had the same idea re the prompt. As for the ending…well I had to get out of this Banter BS somehow 😂😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:36 Feb 22, 2024

Great to see you having something to say even if you can't say it.

Reply

Viga Boland
13:54 Feb 22, 2024

Silly, isn’t it 😂 Thanks for reading, Mary. I’ll keep trying for a few more prompts. Feels like I’m digging in a dusty attic for inspiration nowadays.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
16:12 Feb 22, 2024

Yeah, I keep thinking I need to focus more on what I have already accomplished to finish it. Done this for a year now. When I compare myself to others here, don't think I have improved all that much but it has been fun.

Reply

Viga Boland
17:24 Feb 22, 2024

Likewise. Only so many hours left in my day…in my life…to stress about not being able to come up with something for Reedsy prompts. Guess I better leave those for the younger, more imaginative minds here. Comparing mysrlf to them is a negative exercise and who needs more negative? 😂

Reply

Mary Bendickson
17:58 Feb 22, 2024

Let's agree to keep on keeping on butI think I' ll follow your lead and only do prompts that really resonate with me.😉

Reply

Viga Boland
03:08 Feb 23, 2024

That approach is really the only one that makes sense i.e. quality over quantity so that what we write is worth the effort we put into it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
22:43 Feb 21, 2024

Hello Banters! So good to hear from Mathew and Martha again. Your delivery was sparkling and the ending superb, 911 indeed! Still laughing. I’m glad this week’s prompts inspire you, it has me stuck for words! Thanks for sharing Viga.

Reply

Viga Boland
13:51 Feb 22, 2024

Oh thanks so much Michelle. Your comment is a warm fuzzy for my insecurity re re-entry to the talented Reedsy community. I woke up this morning berating myself and already talking myself out of future submissions. Maybe I won’t give up again so soon after trying to restore faith in my limited writing abilty. Very grateful 🙏🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Josephine Harris
17:07 Feb 21, 2024

Ah poor Martha's frustration at being unable to finish what she's trying to say. It's one thing when we're stuck for words or overwhelmed, but to find oneself permanently at a loss at that age would be frightening. Well done, Viga. Glad to see that you weren't :)

Reply

Viga Boland
17:44 Feb 21, 2024

Thanks for reading this Josephine. It was good to feel a prompt prompting me at last. My writing drought has lasted too long this time!

Reply

Josephine Harris
15:54 Feb 23, 2024

Looking forward to more.

Reply

Viga Boland
18:18 Feb 23, 2024

That was fun to write. However, just saw the fabulist prompts for coming week. Time to crawl back under my shell. 😔

Reply

Josephine Harris
13:44 Mar 02, 2024

I skipped that one also, but intrigued by this week and may have a crack at it. Let's see if the old brain will kick into receptive mode :) Cheers Viga!

Reply

Viga Boland
18:51 Mar 02, 2024

Good luck with it Josephine. Only thing it inspires in me is poetry…and I’m not about to write a 1000-word poem LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.