30 comments

Drama Romance Fantasy

The desk had become a labyrinth of letters and papers.

Piling strewn papers into misshapen stacks, Roslyn shoved her homework into her bag. Yawning and methodically bolting her locker shut, Roslyn squinted out of the window to see the bright blazing sun. Returning her attention to her books, she grimaced at the most overrated play of all time, chucking the book into her bag. Honestly, the whole Romeo and Juliet tragedy thing could easily have been avoided if the messenger had gotten there on time. Sleep pulled at her eyelids, as another yawn rippled through her; to say she was tired was an understatement. Although Roslyn supposed that she should have expected as much when she agreed to human school during the school year, alchemy lessons at night, and summer classes at Quadrivium. Sleep was boycotting her at this point. Glancing at the clock; it was already four o’clock. Lovely, a mountain of homework and an eternity between her and sleep, maybe she should not have stayed up reading till three that morning?

The drive home was a complete blur because Roslyn fell asleep as usual. Boris, her neighbor across the street and best friend had picked her up from school and dropped her home, as per their agreement, which entailed Roslyn bringing him an extra lunch, and him dropping her home from school. Walking up her driveway, Roslyn saw the trees sway in the warm breeze of the afternoon, the sun painting the sky varying shades of mauve and lilac. Fishing her house keys out of her bag, the little crimson maple leaf keychain dangled as she unlocked the front door. Closing the door behind her, she looked at the clock, it was about five-ish which meant that her parents would not be home for another hour, and her brothers for at least another two. Hallelujah, she was home alone, which meant that she had time for a nap! Kicking off her shoes off, Roslyn noticed that the house smelt faintly of chamomile as she walked to the living room, flinging her book bag on to the armchair, when she heard a yowl.

Roslyn nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard the startling noise. Whipping her head towards the noise, she was met with the sight of a half-awake Li. Li? What was he doing here?

“OW! Ros, what do you have in that bag? Rocks?” His voice was thick with sleep, and that’s when memory hit Roslyn smack in the face. That morning on the way to school, her mother did mention that Li was coming to visit; however Roslyn had assumed she meant later that night. When did he get a key to the house?

Roslyn stifled a laugh; she had known Li for as long as she could remember. He was older than her, and would often hang around with her older brothers, although in the past few years he had begun to linger around her more. Even now, when she was a newly minted-seventeen-year-old, and him on the verge of being nineteen, they were still for the most part the same. Fighting a blush, Roslyn remembered the last time she saw him. It was last summer, he had asked her out on a date as joke, and Roslyn being the most oblivious person on earth believed him. At first, she was mad that he would ask her out, only to stand her up like that, but under further examination it was she who was the fool. How stupid she thought, to have entertained the thought that he could ever like her; but that was months ago and for the most part she had forgotten that she showed up at the beach alone. So hopefully he too had forgotten.

Li stretched as he tumbled off the armchair, his delicate almond shaped eyes always made him seem kind, however in the months since she had last seen him his jaw had become more defined, and his shoulders more squared. In the dim light of the evening, she saw that a new scar adorned his left palm. Rolling off the couch, Roslyn took in Li’s new considerable height as he stretched his arms above his head, My flight got in early, so your dad said I could pick the locks. Don’t worry, your neighbors didn’t see me.”

Roslyn’s jaw nearly fell open, “You picked the locks?”

“What? Like it’s hard,” Li threw back the words with confidence, a smirk gracing his lips.

“How do you walk through doors with that enormous ego of yours and not cause structural damage,” Roslyn flung back, pink defiantly tinged her cheeks, but in the gloomy light of the living room she hoped he would not notice. Sighing, she had forgotten how much she liked talking to Li.

“What are they teaching children these days!” Li mused playfully. Towering above her he playfully gestured to her bookbag and then at her oversized baggy uniform, “Is that what they make you wear―”

With a retort loaded on her tongue, Roslyn was about to respond when a blaring ring sounded. Looking around for the source Roslyn saw Li dig around in his pewter green duffle bag, pulling out a weather-beaten phone.

Pointing a finger at her, he mouthed, we are not done here as he walked into the kitchen to take the call.

Looking around the room Roslyn was about to take her stuff upstairs when something shiny snagged her gaze. In the corner of her eye Roslyn saw something that resembled a blade sticking out of Li’s bag. Curious Roslyn checked to make sure that Li was nowhere in sight, before she reached towards the bag. Unzipping the bag Roslyn saw a flash of white, as a faint snarl ripped through the air.

Sharp teeth locked around her wrist, as fire laced through her veins; what the hell did Li have in his bag! Snapping her eyes open Roslyn looked up to see a small creature gnawing at her. Dark blood dripped down her forearm and onto Roslyn’s face, pooling on the cold tiles beneath her.

A scream erupted from her lips, “Li!” Roslyn shouted, as she grappled with the creature, failing horribly as its rows of teeth dug deeper into her, “Li!” she repeated. The creature’s eyes bulged out of its face, milky white eyes contrasting deeply against its leathery skin. What was this thing?

Then, not a moment too soon, Roslyn felt the pressure around her wrist release as Li expertly unhinged its jaw. Stars began to dance around the room as the corners of her vision became blurry. Damn it, Roslyn loathed passing out, at least she was already home, and on the floor, she thought as her eyelids grew heavy with a mix of sleep and something else Roslyn couldn’t name.

An uncomfortable heat wrapped itself around Roslyn as a black haze shimmered into existence. Shadows wriggled and writhed to unveil a beach bathed in bright moonlight. Blink. She saw a young couple walking along the shore, hand in hand. Blink. The woman’s long hair cascaded down her back in a river of ink. Blink. The man’s scarred hands cupped her face like she was made of the finest porcelain. Blink. A jagged scar adorned his left palm, the hint of chamomile wafted through the air as a gentle breeze blew the woman’s hair back to reveal her face. Blink. Her face, it was her face. Blink. Roslyn’s heart stopped as she saw herself. Blink. The man leaned down towards her, and Roslyn felt her heart leap out of her chest, because the man was Li. Blink. Rough lips met hers in a moment of shock, the two smiled like fools in the dark. Blink. He then kissed her forehead mumbling, “I would burn the world down for you, you know.” Blink. Breaking their contact she murmured, “I am not―,” her hands curling into fists that Li took in his. Blink. He kissed her bloodied bruised knuckles, “You will always be worth saving,” Li whispered softly into her ear. Blink. Roslyn stared blankly at Li; the world melted into black. Blink. Shadows spit Roslyn back into consciousness as heat flared up her arm once more. Pain ripped her eyelids open as Roslyn’s eyes found Li’s. A thought slammed against her mind in waves, what in heaven’s name did she just see!

Blinking the stars in her vision away, Roslyn saw that he was hovering above her with a dishtowel wrapped around her wrist. It was soaked with blood, but she didn’t care as she let the words fly out of her mouth, “What was that?!”

Relief washed over Li’s features, “Oh thank goodness you’re awake,” his shoulders sagged noticeably, “it was a beast of bewilderment, the pest must have smuggled itself into my bags before I left,” he glanced at the wet towel, “I dispatched the creature while you were unconscious. Do you think you can stand?”

Roslyn nodded, not trusting her voice as she let him take her hand. Walking into the kitchen Roslyn sat by the dining table holding the towel to her forearm, unsure of what to do. Should she ask Li about what she saw?

“How do you feel?” Li asked, crouching down before her, gingerly taking her maimed wrist in his hands.

Roslyn then felt an unexpected rush of heat in her face when she felt his cool skin against her, “Like someone threw me in a washing machine of fire,” she managed to drawl out, “how long was I out for?”

“Half an hour, which means that you should be fine. It was a young beast, which means its poisons haven’t even come in yet,” Li answered, lifting the dish cloth to see that the blood had stopped, “the creature’s venom eats away at memories and magic so―”

“Do they show their victim’s visions?” Roslyn interjected. She needed to know if the vision was a falsehood or not, “like can it make people hallucinate?”

Reaching into one of the cupboards, Li pulled out a first aid kit and began to clean the wound, “No, quite the opposite really, their venom is used to help patients with amnesia because they help reveal memories, why?” Li’s eyebrows knitted together, “what did you remember?”

 Roslyn was silent for several long minutes as she weighed her options. Tell Li about the insane vision that she just saw or lie? Humm. He was as good as family up until that hallucination. “We were on a beach, and I remembered kissing you,” she spluttered out. “Why do I remember kissing you Li!” Roslyn’s face burned with embarrassment, but she held Li’s gaze with an iron fist, spluttering on. “If that beast’s venom is supposed to reveal memories, then why did it show you kissing me? I would have remembered that very large detail!” Roslyn’s voice was pitching an octave higher with every second.

That is when Roslyn saw the terror in Li’s face, he knew something.

“Li! What happened! Was that real?” Panic and anger rose in Roslyn’s throat, were these memories or hallucination?

“Yes.” His words rang loud in the cavernous quiet. The blood drained from his face as he took a seat to her left. Methodically packing away the bandages and bloodied cotton, Li tightened the bandages around Roslyn’s wrist, “it was a memory. It was real.”

Roslyn felt her lungs struggle to breath.

“Explain,” that was the only word she could manage, as she gulped down desperate breaths. The world was shifting as she knew it, and she had not the slightest clue what to do. Roslyn risked another shaky sentence, “Explain to me what just happened, and why I remember kissing you? Now!” She demanded, on the verge of tears in a voice too small to be menacing, but when she locked eyes with Li, Roslyn saw her own despair reflected back at her.

Li then explain the whole awful tale to her. Each sentence unraveled itself to reveal a bomb of information. Wave after wave, the details kept coming. She didn’t know if it was the dissipating effects of the creature’s toxins or her own mind that was making her feel sick. The ground shifted and swayed around her as she fought to focus. Roslyn began to hear a ringing in her ears because Li never stood her up at the beach. He went with her to the beach at midnight. He had confessed his love for her, kissed her on the beach for Gods’ sakes, and not moments later she had disappeared into thin air right before his eyes, for months. The whole summer if she was not mistaken. How did she forget three months of her life?

Reaching out for his hand, Roslyn held it as she bit back her tears, “But I remembered you this afternoon. Why? How?”

“Your parents took you to The Council of Dreams to try and get back your memories, but they could only restore pieces,” Li squeezed Roslyn’s hand with a tinge of hope in his tone, “they said that you took away your own memories.”

What? Why would she do such a thing? If they were really in love, why would she leave? If she really did love Li, why would she erase him from her memories? There must have been a reason. Something must have happened. A piece of this story was missing.

“Ros, I spent months looking for you and― when I found you it was like I lost you all over again in the same moment,” Li ended, releasing her hand, and then to Roslyn’s shock, Li reached a hand towards her cheek, “but you remember now. Ros you remember now, don’t you see, this is great, we can just pick up where we left off and―”

Flinching away Roslyn shot up, almost knocking over her chain, “No, stop!,” moving towards the doorway she held out an arm barring Li from coming any closer, “you’re a completely different person to me now.” Tears began to run down Roslyn’s face.

Striding towards her in long graceful strides Li held her hand to his chest, “Can we please just talk this out?”

“No!” Roslyn whispered, her words shattered the silence that threatened to crush her, “there’s no coming back from this. I might not know why I erased you from my memories, but I do know that there must have been a reason.” Her voice shock with the effort it took to not tackle him to the floor.

“Roslyn, please, this changes nothing, I’ve kept my distance hoping that the memories would come back and now they have. Ros over these past few months I’ve missed sitting with you. Walking to class with you. Talking with you. Singing with you. Competing with you. Fighting with you. Laughing with you. Sure, I’ve missed having you in my arms, but I’ve missed having you as my friend even more. Please, you are still you, and I am still me. If we fell in love once, we could again, please don’t go,” Li was begging now.

Tearing her hand away from his Roslyn glared at him through silver lined eyes, “You’re wrong,” then turning away from him she grabbed her school bag ascending the staircase towards her bedroom. Turning around one last time she saw Li standing the bottom, staring at her longingly. Her stomach turned at the sight of him. Unease twisted itself in her chest. Her mind felt foggy.  “This changes everything,” Roslyn seethed, leaving the words in her wake, she slammed her bedroom door, locking the world out.

That night, tangled in the sheets Roslyn lay awake in her bed, sleep evading her once more. Even hours later, Roslyn’s heart was still reeling. She traced the outline of her the scar on her palm. Her mind had become a labyrinth of shattered realities and broken truths, and in the twilight of memory, a single question echoing in her mind.

Why?


October 03, 2020 03:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

30 comments

Sam W
02:41 Nov 05, 2020

This gives me even more questions! Gosh dang it, Elizabeth. Good stuff. What made me cackle were your descriptions of how "graceful" Li was. Die-hard crushes in a nutshell. I'd give Boris a bit more limelight. He's been mentioned in both bits and is obviously important, so I'm curious.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
02:51 Nov 05, 2020

Are you hooked yet? Yes, Li is 1000% more "graceful" than Roslyn, she's kinda like a bull in a china shop sometimes and I love it! For example, in "Auditorium Antics" she may seem very stealthy and nerdy, but in "Enigmas of the Shadow Sea" she's more relaxed. Roslyn appears a lot in many, but not all, of my short stories so if your interested, I invite you to follow along with her adventures.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
04:37 Nov 01, 2020

Hi Elizabeth, Awesome story! I love your take on the prompt. Your characters are so real that the reader connects to them, and your descriptions are well done. I think the end is great too because I would have felt betrayed as well if someone or something had been playing with my memories.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
10:12 Nov 01, 2020

Thank you so much for the read, I am glad that you enjoyed it. Did you have a favourite part? This story was my first dramatic short story and I still really love it. Which is why I wrote a resolution to this conflict in "Dum Spiro, Spero" although I do think that they can be read as stand-alone I think they're better together. Let me know what you think about the ending, I am curious as to what you think.

Reply

Kate Winchester
17:39 Nov 01, 2020

It's hard to pick a favorite part lol, but there are certain elements that stand out to me. I think the creature is great and totally unexpected in a good way. I also really like the Romeo and Juliet theme in the name of your character, the title, and in the story itself. Lastly, I'm a sucker for romance, and I love the interactions between Roslyn and Li. I love the way he cares for her especially after she's bitten.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
17:48 Nov 01, 2020

OMG, you picked up on that, yes! Roslyn's name is such a play on Rosalind from Romeo and Juliet, because I've always had a thing for side characters. I hope you follow and keep reading along. Also if you get a chance to read "Dum Spiro, Spero", the sequel or resolution of this plot point let me know what you think about the ending, I am curious as to what you think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dalyane Deblois
00:26 Oct 23, 2020

I finally read this one you told me about on your most recent story and I'm glad I did. This was amazing and now I definitely want to know what happens next between those two! Roslyn is such a great character, and I really love your writing. I can easily picture you writing a novel. I love complicated romance, it's always intriguing and entertaining. Can't wait to read the sequel with Li! Let me know when you've done it!:) I wrote a new story if you wanna check it out, although it's different from my usual style.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
01:34 Oct 23, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the read. I hope that the reader payoff was worth it. I'll defiantly let you know when the sequel is released. I'll pass by and read your most recent stories next week, I am squashed for time at the moment, but I'll take a read as soon as I can.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
01:44 Oct 23, 2020

No worries, I totally understand! I have school and I sometimes (often) have less time for Reedsy!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
04:51 Oct 31, 2020

I survived the week and you'll be happy to know that I've read your latest story and I enjoyed the depth of your character. I've left my full thoughts in the comments.

Reply

Dalyane Deblois
18:24 Nov 01, 2020

Thank you so much, I put a lot of thought in this character! And I'm glad you survived the week. It's been a pretty rough week for me as well with school!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
18:26 Nov 01, 2020

Power through then! We all make it to the other side eventually.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zuriel Wurah
15:30 Oct 08, 2020

Damn...this was amazing. I actually loved this. I've been reading lots of romance stories these days, and this is one likely surpasses a lot of them and you know why: The dialogue was real. The life was real. It didn't end the way I thought it was going to. I really thought it was going to be cliched with the both of them realizing their love or immediately being attracted. Although if you want to get better at romance, definitely read 'Anna and the French Kiss.' It' so damn cute and the couple in the book, the boy is shorter by three inches...

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
15:38 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you so much, I am glad that you enjoyed the read. For me, romances are just so hard to write sometimes because you have to balance the emotional payoff with the stakes at hand, and for Roslyn, she trusts herself more than Li, which is something I love to see in fiction; because not everything has a happy ending. Also, if you loved Roslyn here she appears in “Auditorium Antics” and “Enigmas of the Shadow Sea” as well. I'll definitely put 'Anna and the French Kiss' on my TBR list.

Reply

Zuriel Wurah
16:05 Oct 08, 2020

Yes, writing romance is kind of ehh for me. Because I hate making it cliche and sappy the way most Wattpad stories are like. Also I did love Roslyn. Definitely read Anna and the French Kiss. There two more books in the trilogy that don't focus on them but have them. Let me know when you read it, so we can discuss. TTYL

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
20:49 Oct 09, 2020

UPDATE: I haven't read "Anna and the French Kiss" yet, but I did just upload a new story “Of Bone and Blood”. It's my first action-driven short story and I am curious as to what you think.

Reply

Zuriel Wurah
18:40 Oct 11, 2020

Ooh, I will definitely read it and let you know what I think.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
04:58 Oct 31, 2020

I've finally closed the loop on "A Rose By Any Other Name" and "Aureolus Ashes". I wrote an ending to the conflict; the story's name is "Dum Spiro, Spero". Just thought you might be interested. When you get a chance, let me know what you think.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
22:47 Oct 03, 2020

Yay, more Roslyn! I loved your intro, that first line was impeccable. The italics were used wonderfully, they added a lot to your narrative. The spacing was well done as the pacing was good. Overall, great work.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
23:13 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you so much, I am thrilled that you enjoyed the read! I think I really stretched myself with this one, I’ve never written interpersonal conflict like this. Did you find the drama and idea compelling?

Reply

Lynn Penny
06:22 Oct 04, 2020

I loved your idea, and I believe this was a well done drama. Those italics really helped to elevate the dramatic elements

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
12:18 Oct 04, 2020

Fantastic! Mission: Accomplished

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elizabeth Inkim
10:24 Nov 01, 2020

Hi Lynn, I've finally closed the loop on "A Rose By Any Other Name". I wrote a sort of sequel or ending to this conflict; the story's name is "Dum Spiro, Spero". Just thought you might be interested. When you get a chance, let me know what you think in the comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
06:16 Oct 03, 2020

Wow. This is good. Very good, in fact. I liked how you've twisted the words your own way and have weaved such an amazing story out of them. The heavily worded descriptions, the luscious vocabulary and oh, the sweet romantic element in there is everything I'm living for. I spotted a minor mistake, though: Roslyn bring him an extra lunch, and him dropping her home from school. Try replacing bring with 'bringing.' That's it. Until next time, bye:)

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
12:44 Oct 03, 2020

Wow, thank you so much for the read! What did you think of the pacing? This week I wrote a character-driven story that centers around dialogue, and I was unsure of how the prose flowed and unraveled. Glad to know it worked out!

Reply

Batool Hussain
11:48 Oct 04, 2020

The pacing was fine. Good, in fact

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
03:51 Oct 17, 2020

Hi Batool! This week I did something completely new to me, I wrote a story without outlining it beforehand, its called "Aureolus Ashes". I was such a Pantser this week, and I would love to know what you think of the pacing in this story. As usual let me know what you think in the comments and we'll chat.

Reply

Batool Hussain
18:03 Oct 18, 2020

Sure.

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
04:56 Oct 31, 2020

UPDATE: I've finally closed the loop on "A Rose By Any Other Name" and "Aureolus Ashes". I wrote an ending to the conflict; the story's name is "Dum Spiro, Spero". Just thought you might be interested. When you get a chance, let me know what you think in the comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.