Love at Winter Festival

Submitted into Contest #178 in response to: Write a story about an unconventional holiday tradition.... view prompt

2 comments

Romance Happy People of Color

 “So tonight, I’ll pick you up for our date, right?” Dante repeated and Dominque nodded and blush “I can’t wait for ourrr d..d..d.date Dante she said nervously, her hair puffy like an afro with leggings and a shirt that showed her muscles. What time is our date her lips curve upwards when she asked him? “At six o'clock. Both agreed to meet at six to go to the Winter Festival together. It's been a long time coming for Dante. He had a crush on Dominque for the longest time and finally got his chance to ask her out since both were in Weight Class together. Weight class was a majority of boys, but they welcomed her with open arms. She and her sister Jacqueline named after his mother Jackie. Both parents were close together, both fathers fought in the war together and the mothers encourage one another about raising kids. It would thrill dad and mom to hear that they are dating and it would be a romantic moment for the both of them.  

 “Come on altogether for this family picture”, Felicia and the others came to take the family photo like dad ordered. It's tradition to have a photo before we go to the festival. The others signed Dad, Dante said "I have a date today, and I wanted to take Dominique out. Daijiro nodded. "It has to be for some other time. This is family time, son, and no time for dates. Dante couldn’t believe he was going to miss his date with Dominique, one of the cutest and athlete-built girls from weight class. Dante forgot that he had to run the family business during the Winter Festival this year since Felicia did it last year it has always been a tradition to switch places with each other and today is his year. Where it will be Kai and Sasha's turn next year since he and Sasha would be old enough to take care of the restaurant. Dante thought of an idea to ask Felicia about handling the restaurant until he gets back.  

“Nope, not a chance Dante I did it last year and now it's my time to enjoy the festival this year. I got a hot date too with Adrian Nightwalker and am not letting you get in my way.” Felicia was not having it this year and he couldn’t ask the two other younger siblings but they were just too young to handle the responsibilities of holding down the restaurant. Plus both mom and dad would check in on him, Kai, and Sasha to see if they were doing their jobs and not goofing off. So, he couldn’t sneak off for just a couple of minutes. “Come on, if you do this for me, I’ll cover for you doing the next two years and on top of it, an IOU anytime you want Felicia. Felicia thought about it. “Ok Dante, but this one time I’ll let it slide since we meet at five o’clock and I’ll come back and take your shift for you, then you’ll own me. Dante and Felicia shook on it and both had a sibling agreement on the matter.  

 “And remember, my date is at six o’clock and our agreement will be sealed,” Dante said as he looked at Felicia, the eldest. She waved her hands. “Yes, I know I know your hot date is at six with Dominique Jackson. We all know that you had a crush on her since you were a baby cutesy-poo. Felicia said sarcastically. She walked toward him and put her thumb up ‘Don’t worry, I’ll be back, I promise. Daijiro and Jackie were waiting for her to come. Dante, call her and wait to have the date later. You know Felicia is googly eyes over that man. Kai nodded in agreement about what Sasha said about Felicia. Dante hadn’t listened to them he knows Felicia would keep her word and come back on time. Time went on and many people came to eat at the restaurant and dived into the food and dessert that they have on the menu. Dante, Sasha, and Kai worked their buts off throughout the hours getting the customers out of there on time. Time was going by fast then slowed down after most of the customers left the restaurant. Dante stared in awe at the clock. It was past seven o’clock. “Shit, where is Felicia!” Felicia and Adrian came running through the door ‘Dante I...  

“Oh, crap am late!” Dante ran past Felicia and Adrian, running down the street. Toward the top, where he could see all around the area so he can spot her. Felicia screamed back to me and apologized as I ran toward the top. No, it's my fault for not calling her to cancel for another day like dad said. But poor oh Dante had to be late to the perfect date he had with what he thought was the love of his life. Running toward the top, out of breath, he looked around the area, screaming out her name. “Dominique!! I Am Sorry for being late Dominique! Screaming at top of his lungs till his voice cracked. Felicia was screaming at Dante about something, but he didn’t hear her. He was too busy trying to find her. He looked back and forth from where he was but nothing there were still too many people at the festival. He screamed at the top of his lungs her name Dominique. Felicia ran right behind him out of breath “Dante, I I was trying to tell you something, you idiot!”  

First am sorry for being late. I gave you my word and promise to come back on time, but mom and dad wanted me to do something for them real quick. Second, Dominique is coming to the restaurant. We bump into her. She was sad that you were late to your date, Felicia explained as she was trying to gain her breath back. “I told her everything, and she agreed to meet you at the restaurant, and are you crying...” “Thank you Felicia you are the best.” As Dante smiled and hugged her tightly. Felicia hugged him back “of course am the best sibling you ever had” blushing for a moment. They both walked back to the restaurant, seeing both their parents talking to Dominique. Mom was asking her so many questions about her and her baby boy, Dante. She excuses herself from the conversation.  

They both looked at each other and blushed, saying hello to each other “Dominique am sorry for being late I should have canceled our date and waited another time.” Dominique nodded no am sorry my parents wanted me to go with them to the festival and my dad said the same thing. I thought maybe I’ll bump into you during the festival, but I found your sister.” She was nice to let me know the situation anyway she blushed again. Do you want to see the fireworks? Dante and Dominique both grabbed their jackets and went out to see the fireworks. As both of them hold hands together in the snow. 

December 26, 2022 03:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Mary Grace Acson
05:03 Jan 06, 2023

What a nice story ☺️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Wendy Kaminski
06:20 Jan 01, 2023

Very sweet story!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.