2 comments

Fiction

Back in the day a person would sit in the graveyard and watch a bell that was attached to a rope that was in the coffin with the dead. Just in case they were accidentally buried alive.  If so the person in the coffin would ring the bell. This alert the person above and he would get help to unearth the wrongly buried person thus graveyard shift and dead ringer. 

Bell Ringer

“What are we doing here in the grave yard?”

We are here because you are on grave yard duty, Gretchen. 

“I know, but why?  Why did I volunteer for this and why are you here, Herbert?”

“Well, I thought you could use the company. Didn’t want you to be here alone.”

“Thank you Herbert,I appreciate it.”  

“Come on let’s sit down. We will be here a while.”

Gretchen sat down. “Why do you think that.”

Herbert sat next to her. “Because he’s dead, Gretchen. He’s not going to ring that bell.”

“How do you know that, he could, he could at any moment?”

Gretchen, would you relax. There’s nothing to worry about. The man is dead.”

I hope you are. This place gives me the hebe gebes.”

“What we need to do is talk about something else and get our minds off this.”

“Good idea, what do you want to talk 

About?”

“You know what next weekend is?”

“Yes, it’s the barn raising, what about it?”

Well, Gretchen, I was just wondering if I could have the privilege and honor to sit next to at the picnic?”

Gretchen stared at him. “Herbert you are sitting next to me now.  You need to ask me for the picnic?”

“I was just trying to be polite. I didn’t want to offend you.”

Gretchen giggled. “Oh Herbert you couldn’t offend me. But of course you can sit next to me.”

Herbert smiled brightly. “Thank you.”

“Poor Lowell he won’t be there.” She said and motioned with her head towards the grave. 

Herbert looked over at the grave. “No he sure enough won’t.”

Gretchen sighed deeply. “I can’t believe he’s dead. He was so young.”

“What are you talking about? He was forty.”

“Yeah you are right. I guess forty is getting up there. It’s just he died so quickly.”

Herbert nodded. “I know what you mean. Seems like he got consumption and a few days later he was dead.”

“It’s all very mysterious to me. Oh Herbert are you sure he’s dead?”

“Yes I’m sure. I got a good look at him and he wasn’t breathing.”

Gretchen gazed around her. “You ever been in this graveyard before?”

“Can’t day I have. No one I know has ever died here. Not until now that is. What about you?”

Gretchen shook her head. “Same with me.”

Herbert got out his pocket watch and noted the time. He placed back into the inside pocket of his coat. 

Gretchen watched him do that. “What time is it?”

Herbert looked over at her. “Hmm, what did you say?”

“You looked at your watch. I asked what time is it.”

Herbert took out the watch again. “It’s 10:30,” he said and put the watch away again. 

Gretchen sighed again. “Oh dear. It’s going to be several more hours before daybreak.”

Herbert patted her shoulder. “The time willt go by quickly and I will not desert you.”

Gretchen smiled shyly. “Thank you, Herbert.”

They sat in silence for several minutes before anyone spoke again.

“Did you have any of that pie at the wake?”  Herbert asked. 

“Oh my goodness wasn’t that just awful?”

Herbert shook his head. “Never had anything worse in my life.”

Gretchen shivered at the thought. “Some people should not bake and Anne Banks is one of them,” she said and immediately placed her hand over her mouth. “Oh my I shouldn’t have said that. That wasn’t very ladylike of me,” she and put her hand back on her lap.

Herbert chuckled. “That’s all right, you meant no harm. I won’t tell on ya. Besides you are telling the truth.”

“We are just awful people talking like this. Lowell is dead and his widow can’t bake.” Gretchen covered her mouth again to suppress a giggle. 

Herbert shook his head and laughed. Gretchen I never knew you had it in you.”

Gretchen also laughed. “It just slips out when I least expect it.”

“Anyone saw us right now would think we had lost our minds, laughing in a graveyard,” Herbert said. 

“Oh my, isn’t that bad luck or something?” Gretchen asked. 

“I don’t believe in that superstitious nonsense. We are fine,” Herbert answered. 

Gretchen rubbed her eyes with the back of her hands. “I am so tired.”

“Close your eyes and rest a bit. I’ll keep watch,”. Herbert suggested. 

“Thank you Herbert, I’ll do just that.”  Gretchen’s eyes closed and she leaned her head on Herbert’s shoulder. 

Without thinking, Herbert wrapped his arm around her shoulders. 

Unfortunately her sleeping caused him to also fall asleep. 

Gretchen was the first to wake. She sat up, stretched and yawned. She suddenly realized what woke her. She vigorously shook Herbert by the shoulders. “Herbert, wake up. Please wake, we have an emergency.”

Herbert slowly opened his eyes. He too stretched and yawned. “What is it, my 

Dear?”

It’s Lowell, remember the one you said was dead.”

Once again the bell rang. 

Herbert jumped. “Oh my goodness. How can this be?  I swear he was not breathing.”

“Never mind that, we have to get help to get him out of there.”

They ran as fast as they could back to the village and began knocking on doors, waking people up. 

“What the devil is going on,” one man yelled. It’s two o’clock in the morning.”

Everyone was milling about wondering the same thing. 

Gretchen jumped up and down and waved her arms frantically. “Listen to me, we have to go to the graveyard quickly, the bell rang. 

The men grabbed shovels and all ran to the cemetery. The bell was still ringing. 

Gretchen and Herbert stood to one side out of the way. Gretchen bit her lower lip. “I sure hope they get to Lowell in time.”

Herbert patted her shoulder. “They will, they will. I just don’t understand I was sure he was dead.”

“Be glad you were wrong,” Gretchen told him. 

“Poor fellow, now he’s going to have to eat his wife’s pie,” he said being glib. 

Gretchen stared at him in dismay. “Herbert you are terrible,” she said and giggled despite herself. 

The men finally reached the coffin and pried it open. Lowell lay lay there coughing. “Where am I?”

“You died,” his wife said. 

“Died?  What do you mean?” He asked in gravelly voice. 

Two of the men helped Lowell sit up. It was then it was explained what happened. One man pointed to Gretchen and Herbert. “If not for those wonderful people you might very well have died.”

Lowell looked over at the two. “Thank you,” he said hoarsely.

Gretchen curtsied and Herbert bowed. She leaned closer to Herbert “should we tell them we fell asleep,” she whispered. 

Herbert vigorously shook his head. “Oh no, that will remain our secret. All that matters is the bell rang.”

Gretchen nodded in agreement and smiled. 

October 28, 2020 05:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Cathryn V
23:06 Nov 04, 2020

Hi Michele, I like the humor in this story, about the pie. The setting is interesting as is the notion of a bell ringer. Entertaining! One suggestion might be to add more tension. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Michele Stigers
03:19 Nov 09, 2020

Thank you. And I’ll try to do that. Did you see the new prompts? The one about the pirate captain reminded me of captain jack sparrow

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.