29 comments

Fiction Funny Speculative

Attention Kaitlyn,


I have a beef with you, but not of the bovine kind.


I can't even say who I am because you changed my name so many damn times during my character arcs. And it's not because I clamour from the wings to be in the limelight. You created me, and instead of casting me as a true hero, you gave me all these character flaws and foibles. In fact, I don't know who I am anymore despite trying to rise above the defective personality you cast me in. You put me into impossible situations in which you think you know how I will react. Against my better judgment, you make me do unspeakably childish things.



I want you to know this is what drove me to drink. I do not have a drinking problem! You forced me into it despite your excuse. You believe one of my problems is that I prefer to wallow in misery over an alcoholic drink rather than take action. Not true! In fact, readers say I get everything I deserve. Can you believe it? Of course, you do because you constantly misjudge and miswrite me. You point the arrow and fire it off on a chain of adventures where I react badly in every imaginable situation.



Even when I rise to the occasion as a hero, you constantly preempt my actions and ruin them by including something I muffed, yet again. Since then, few have trusted me with the truth. I find out eventually, of course. Do you take me for a fool? I've become very good at collecting the information you withhold from me. Initially, you so severely stuffed up the ending of my first story that even you agreed to an alternative. You tried to kill me off! The readers clamoured for a better ending. (Thank you, dear readers.)



On the subject of characters winding up dead, you even slaughtered my father. You had my poor, fragile father commit suicide. I found out why. After I successfully helped my co-protagonist, plus my side-kick, to escape the enemy, you had to stuff it up by having my poor father's body appear right where we hid. At the crucial moment, my side-kick, who also starred as my often put-upon twin sister, screamed bloody murder on seeing him. All that hullaballoo alerted our foe to our hiding place. Our father perished horribly and disgustingly - in a stinking moat. Readers couldn't believe you did it. And who got the blame for this shocking twist? Me, of course. I disagree. I'm not guilty. You set me up to fail.



My Lovers

It all started in my favourite spot. I found out my relaxing, verdant hideaway on the hill had been discovered by a trespasser. My co-protagonist, a vision to behold, turned up there. I wondered why you typecast me as a drunkard who fell asleep the night before, fully attired, had me perform some mischief the following morning in my stinking clothes, and then follow her Majesty to my private retreat. I would never have revealed myself in my appalling state, but you put in my way that branch, which snapped when I stood on it. Such bad luck? No. Your fault. Then you had me fall head over heels in love with her like some Shallow Hal. And you cast her with such a priggish personality. She hated me.



You had to come up with some reason for me to have fallen for her. But to have others believe I'm this idiot who worshipped her only for her looks? How could you do that? I pursued her like some ever-forgiving puppy, alternating with childish tantrums (and those ignomous drinking bouts) when my plans for us to be together failed. Pl-eeze! I'm so glad I didn't end up with her. The revolting truth about her, which you kept from me, should have been revealed from the start. Others knew and kept it a secret. I felt betrayed and used. You cast me as angry and unreasonable. I had every right to be outraged. Is there such a thing as murder of one's own Author?



When you threw me together with another who pursued me in such an embarrassing way - the love of my life, incidentally - I felt I had to reject her advances on principle. I'm not this fickle man who is attracted to outer appearances. And you made me leave her behind because I promised the first one I'd look after her. There I went again, being the hero. I didn't sign up for it that time.



In another story, you threw my beloved and me together again—married at last. The plot twists took me away from her time and again. You suddenly took me from her forever. I never got over her. Yet that was twisted into my selfishness and living in the past. You are the Author. You could have sent me back there. Here's an idea for a future plot twist. Send me back!



Before you complete your story, I request: Please let me be with my beloved. I don't want to break her heart, and despite her brazen impulsiveness at times, I love her desperately. I'm sure if you chuck this idea into your subconscious (that muse you talk about), you'll find a way for us to finally be together.



The Cast - a motley assortment

I agree that some of my fellow cast members are better people than me, but I am big enough not to feel outshone. I know my own worth, even if you don't.



My sidekick, my kind and talented twin sister, is a saint. Her trope of 'riches to rags but happy' made her a star. She's not as crucial as Miss Divine and me, the protagonists, but significant enough to have a complete intertwining story of her own. She has many readers who cheer her on. Why turn me into the cad who uses and mistreats her? I am hated for that. It's all your fault.



Later on, you had me married to that witch, Olivia. Do you take me for an idiot? Or was it more proof I'm attracted by outer appearances? Someone like me would never choose to be with the likes of her. She needed a good spanking. But that isn't politically correct these days. I had to treat her kindly. What for? She turned to murder and got away with it!



My nemesis, the one I killed twice without hesitation. How could you dream up such an evil character? I could have been happy but for him and his actions. It outraged me. Even Miss Prim and Proper didn't deserve to be tangled up with him. I was the only one who disagreed. Not one other fellow actor supported me. And somehow, being the hero in that instance, getting rid of the antagonist, turned me into a pariah? What an anticlimax! Warped as hell. I didn't do it for notoriety. What can you do when a crime is swept under the rug and justice doesn't prevail? I rose to the occasion and eliminated an evil groom with a bow and arrow at his gun-shot wedding. (My aim is perfect, but what happened to the lightning bolts?) Miss Pretending-not-to-be-Pregnant wanted to be made into an honest woman first. What else could I do? I had to wait until she could be a widow rather than a girl in trouble. I know the timing was tacky.



You enjoy putting me with these evil people. I investigated certain characters' past crimes and found out their dirty secrets, you decided to use them as plot twists and took all the credit. Nice one!



As for the charming cast members, who deserve thanks for all they did to teach and support me, I never got a single chance to do so. I wasn't allowed to be appreciative. Part of my bad upbringing and being spoiled rotten. Did you really have to kill off my mother? Make my father a depressed recluse because he couldn't get over it? Some can rise above a bad start. You never gave me a chance until you had me hell-bent on reforming because I met Miss Always-Right - the stuck-up one who hated me. None of it was good enough. How could you let me waste my time? It was so demeaning. %*#+&^#@%


Yours truly

Your character, the Wanna-Be-Hero.



Dear Character

I modelled you after the most popular boy in my high school class. He was good-looking, intelligent, from a great family, and everyone liked him. The teachers despaired at his mischief and class clown behaviour. In sharp contrast to how he should have behaved despite his excellent education and pleasing prospects. His life did not turn out well once he left school. He had a drinking problem. I didn't really know him, I confess, so don't ask me what it was about him that inspired your creation. Maybe his looks? Perhaps he needed a chance to be a hero in another story - my story?



A plot follows a pattern of five parts in line with popular storytelling. I, the Author, must work out many diverse aspects of an intertwining plot that take their course for better or worse. It's for the reader's benefit - not the characters. Things get tough for the characters, and the hero has to deal with all this realistically. Only some people want to read a superhero story where he has a perfect personality and abilities and always wins the day. Readers need someone to identify with. Someone like them, enduring the same struggles.



As a writer, I can make a character follow an arc. Nothing personal. You are an antihero. I know you want to sprint before you can jog. However, I gave you certain handicaps. You can rise above them, but it takes time. Once you master your failings, develop fine qualities such as humility, courage, and morality, and stop blaming others, you will attain hero status. Readers will be encouraged and admire you. Being a magnificent hero from the start is unrealistic and makes for a boring story. You shouldn't feel insulted when I write you going in my chosen direction.



Trust me. You become a better person and make sacrifices, which results in a relatively happy ending. I say relatively because a reader cares about other characters as well. Your final denouement can't be at their expense. Sure, I clip your wings. It's a plot-driven method that is used by authors. I know it's difficult to soar like a phoenix when your companions are turkeys who keep you grounded. Readers will identify, sympathise, and hopefully not want to put the book down. It's all for the greater good - a satisfying and twist-filled read.



You don't want to end up a tragic hero. A self-centred individual who never learns. Be optimistic. Thank you for your fine acting while not being enchanted with the script. The end will surprise and satisfy you despite the problems you face along the way. Take heart; there's one more book to go. Anything can happen. I will think about what you have told me. Admittedly, some inconvenient things befall you, but never fear; I will work out a way for you to be with your beloved. It's foreshadowed. You'll have to wait for the next book in the series, and if you're really clever, you'll work it out. So, in line with your character arc and the plot structure, chin up, try to enjoy the ride and be patient.



Fond Regards

Your Author who is rooting for you.

September 04, 2024 10:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Max Wightwick
22:18 Sep 11, 2024

The first part was my favourite - the bemoaning character, grudged for having to transform to whatsoever its writer wishes. Something about the author responding was less fulfilling to me. I felt that could have worked well as a discourse, so one paragraph from the character, and the next from the writer. "Not of the bovine kind" made me laugh; I like that sort of obscure playing with words.

Reply

03:10 Sep 12, 2024

Like a dialogue. Someone did that. Mm. I think my MC wanted to lay it all out uninterrupted. Also, it wasn't until after the MC did his written rant that I felt the author should have her say. She didn't answer every point the MC raised. She gave an overall view of why she portrayed him a certain way, and how he came across, in line with how she structured the story. I write a lot of dialogue. I think I wanted a change. Thanks for the read and comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:24 Sep 11, 2024

God you know---my characters must REALLY hate me :) and rightly so. We do indeed but them through the ringer. And if they were sentient like this they really wouldnt understand why. Although, its a mirror for life really isnt it. The struggle we all go through on a daily basis and yes from time to time its easy to sit back and ask the cosmos or God or whatever you believe in ---- why??? Are we all just characters in some cosmic story???? Ohhh the thoughts. And then to have the author explain to the character that, yep, sorry about that, but...

Reply

08:56 Sep 11, 2024

Thanks Derrick. I gotta laugh at your analysis of your own stories. It's why they suggest genre's so the faint hearted won't have an apoplexy reading as shit happens. LOL.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Joe Smallwood
16:03 Sep 10, 2024

Parts of ourselves go into our characters, so the interesting part is seeing how our writing reflects our own lives and feelings. A voyage of self discovery in every story? Why not? A fun read.

Reply

21:36 Sep 10, 2024

Thanks for your comment, Joe. "Voyage of self-discovery" I like that. Things that have happened to me and or my family are used in stories as a sprinkling with fictional parts. I like stories to reflect a particular premise, even if not stated like a moral at the end. I hadn't thought of those conclusions being ones I made as a result of plots and twists working out in my own life and worked through by writing about them.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
01:40 Sep 10, 2024

Meta marvelous! Entertaining look at the writer’s process and how and why we project and channel our emotions and hopes and anxieties. So well-done!

Reply

04:10 Sep 10, 2024

Thanks, Martin. We do not actually want to be mean to our characters.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carol Stewart
23:33 Sep 09, 2024

Well written. Enjoyed that the author had her right to reply, not sure anyone else has done this with this particular prompt.

Reply

04:08 Sep 10, 2024

Thanks, Carol. Glad you enjoyed it. There was another one which was a banter between the author and MC. It was also a laugh. But the hero was a scaredy-cat who wanted to be a lover not a fighter. I felt that the author in my story had excellent story-worthy reasons for casting the character the way he did not want to be.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
19:01 Sep 09, 2024

Kaitlyn, this is a masterpiece! I love it! Top to bottom. Though I'm not inclined to sympathize with the pot's complaints to the potter, your intrepid non-hero does have some good points. Hilarious. This is a gem!

Reply

04:11 Sep 10, 2024

Aw, thanks, John. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
15:10 Sep 09, 2024

I love the way the main character turns on the author. Clever and hilarious. Oh, the mighty power of the author! Is that the real reason we write? The real winners here are the readers, of course. Great fun! Excellent.

Reply

04:12 Sep 10, 2024

So glad you enjoyed it, Helen. As writers, we strive to entertain, or at least give a reader something to think about.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
05:25 Sep 09, 2024

Oh I hope my characters never write to me - I've been pretty mean!

Reply

10:32 Sep 09, 2024

LOL. Seems like I have been too. For the best of reasons.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
14:52 Sep 07, 2024

So original. Like the idea that charachter write to Author. I wonder how my charachters would react to my writing.

Reply

22:31 Sep 07, 2024

Haha. I think that's why some writers kill off their MCs. However, if they write supernatural stuff, their characters will come back to haunt them!

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
22:56 Sep 07, 2024

Well, I'm more scared of live people then ded ones.

Reply

23:10 Sep 07, 2024

Haha. The dead ones I'm talking about are in your head. There is no escaping! (Just kidding)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
01:29 Sep 06, 2024

Haha, this was great! I like that you had him writing to you, that was a super creative way to use the prompt. Awesome work!

Reply

22:54 Sep 07, 2024

Thanks, McKade. I'm glad it made you laugh. I aimed for funny, though the MC had some genuine complaints. I hope it didn't make the author's comments sound too much like a lesson in writing. It may come across that way. I'm intrigued by different P(s)OV. As you can see - they both had valid agendas.

Reply

McKade Kerr
03:04 Sep 08, 2024

I actually love the way you did the author’s perspective, it added a lot of depth and sincerity to the piece. I think you did it great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
20:38 Sep 04, 2024

Poor (anti)hero. Sound like he's stuck in a soap. 🙂

Reply

20:40 Sep 04, 2024

Haha. You could be right. Thanks for reading, Trudi. Now that I have a tad more time, I'll find time to read your stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:49 Sep 04, 2024

Nicely explained.

Reply

20:42 Sep 04, 2024

Thanks, Mary. This week is still busy but the prompt inspired me and I just had to write this story. I will read one of yours later.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
10:48 Sep 04, 2024

Fun read, Kaitlyn ! I think what makes your take on the prompt unique is that the author actually responds to the protagonist. Very clever, that one. I do sympathise with the protagonist, though, wanting to do something apart from the script they're given. It does make me wonder what goes on behind the scenes when I'm not there to feed them a plot. Hahahaha ! Great work !

Reply

20:37 Sep 04, 2024

Thanks, Alexis. Encouraging comments. Both POVs meant it shows the constraints on both the author, and protagonist being written about. I'm back, but not fully. Have to find time to catch up with others' stories

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.