1 comment

Fiction

The forest was calm. One would think that it was deserted. The wind blew slightly, causing the leaves of the trees to rustle. And the forest was alive with quiet sound. The leaves rustled gently, the squirrels chattered with each other, running up and down the slender limbs of the towering trees. Wings flapped, as the sleeping birds were suddenly disturbed. They took to the skies, bright blues, reds, blacks, and browns, and yellows. They lit up the darkening sky. And the rain began to fall. Warm, light sprinkles that made the birds soar higher above the clouds, and silenced the squirrels bickering. The leaves continued to rustle as the raindrops fell, faster and faster. Suddenly, from the ground sprouted a small salamander-like creature. It’s bright skin a brilliant blue. It appeared to be glowing below the gray clouds. It‘s eyes were an electric green. Curious, and intelligent. A single, bright red flower sprouted from the top of its head. It ambled around the forest occasionally looking up towards the clouds. He easily made his way up a nearby tree, tail flapping behind him. His smooth body allowing the raindrops to simply glide off of him. He reached the highest branch and looked out over all the tops of the trees. It was very quiet, the land gently breathing with the sound of rain and the symphony of the forest. The creature danced about the leaves to the sound of the forest’s music, raindrops filling his little flower. It had almost seemed to grow in the moments above the surface. The creature was alone, The last of its kind. His cousins and parents and family had all filled their flowers And It was now his time. The flower on his head glowed a shining red. Beads of condensation collection on the sides of it. The creature smiled up at his flower, full of pride and determined to fulfill his duty, and continued to dance. Matching his steps to the sound of the falling rain. The occasional burst of thunder acting as his drum and the wind the flutes. The rustling leaves added their part as a low and eerie bass, and the forest was alive. A symphony of sound and music.

The forest then began to quake. And the music stopped at this unnatural and fearsome cacophony. Deep rumblings that came from an unknown thing that had interrupted the life of the forest. The creature was alive as it moved. Sending tremors into the ground and trees. The little salamander, curious eyes gleaming, stopped his dance and crept down from its branch and peered at this thing that had disrupted the beautiful harmony of his Performance. The thing stopped dead in its tracks. And much smaller creatures hopped out of it. They carried sharp objects and began walking around the trees observing them. Occasionally yelling out in shrill voices using words that he could not understand. A creature stopped underneath his tree and gazed upwards. The creature gaped as it caught sight of him. Dumb and unable to comprehend the sight before him. It started calling to its friends.

He stared back...studying the funny little creature. It had some hair, like other mammals he’d seen, but only on its rather large head. It seemed to cover itself with a type of fabric...probably due to its hairlessness. It waved its arms about blindly, nearly knocking itself on the ground in the process. The creature stood on its hind legs with perfect balance but it didn’t seem to be too bright. More of then gathered underneath his tree and laughed. They walked around the tree, discussing with one another. The first creature laid his hand on the tree and made a motion with his head towards another, smaller creature. The smaller creature smiled and threw it’s sharp object into the side of the tree. The amphibian gasped as he felt the tree shake violently. It screamed as the object dug deeply into its flesh. The four-legged creature was in shock as he felt the life of the peaceful Tree drain. It’s leaves would no longer play a part in his symphony, and the melody of its life-force slowed and eventually stopped as the horrid creature dug further into the bark. The tree groaned and gravity grabbed it, withholding no mercy. He was viciously flung from his branch and flew threw air. Striking the trunk of a tree, he fell to the ground. The dumb creatures clumsily ran over to the flower topped salamander and picked him up. The cupped flower on its head slowly filling with water, they could tell the thing had died from the impact. Its bright green eyes had gone out. And its plain blue skin looked dull and lifeless. Brightly glowing on the body was the red flower, laughing at the cruel men. Ironically the only source of life on the poor salamander. Odd...it would’ve been assumed that the flower would have died with the creature. A drop of rain splashed into the center of the flower, filling the cupped red beauty to the brim. Suddenly the flower started growing rapidly. Blooming, and spreading larger and larger. It’s roots grew through the salamander. The man, disgusted, threw the creature to the damp earth. Unable to see through to the event occurring in front of him. The flower slowly grew leaves. Small, and a light lime. Its roots took to the ground and the flower launched upward, fueled by the wet soil and nutrients of the forest. It’s stem twisted into a magnificent study trunk. It’s leaves turning a gorgeous green, unfurling towards the rain. The cupped flower stood at the top, a burning red sun against the gray sky. Smaller flowers sprouted around the stem, decorating it with blues, purples, and oranges. The men stood awestruck at the towering flower that had once rested on the head of a salamander. The rain cleared. The men drove away in a daze. And the symphony started once again. Joined now with the birds and the squirrels. Leaves again rustled gently in the wind. The flower petals sang in the sun, glowing a brilliant red. Making up for the dance of its lost salamander. It was truly beautiful. The flower danced gently, swaying in the sun. Providing shade for any creature who wandered under it. The trees stood sturdily, keeping watch over the new addition to the orchestra. The fauna of the land continued in their bickering and flying, unbeknownst of the tragedy that had taken place. The dancing salamander would never be mourned, but the flower it left behind forever remembered. The clouds disappeared, leaving only a blue sky and a bright yellow sun, jealous of the shining flower below it. It was quiet, but audible was the gentle sound life and nature carrying on. The forest was calm.

April 20, 2021 19:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

14:24 Apr 21, 2021

oOoOoOoOoOo! This is super good! Nice job, Nighty! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.