3 comments

Fantasy Romance Fiction

I hate my mentor. 


It is hard being a young woman working in an intense study field of wizards and witches. Especially since I am a young black witch, black witches aren't a common thing in Norse-Ville. Usually we become healers or fortune tellers, never witches. “it is a foolish dream to have Naomi.” my mother would always tell me but I Ignored her little words that would pierce my skin sometimes. I wouldn’t become a fortune teller like her, I mean how stereotypical would that be? But still…it took a lot to finally get into a good college for wizards and witches, I had to take many tests to prove I have the type of magic that would allow me to become a witch. Oh yes it surprised my family as much as me when I learned I have been accepted into “college for magicians” it was as if I had finally done…something great in my life. But when I left home with three suitcases, my phone and ID my life changed before my very eyes. College life started out easy but then it became hard. I had so many classes to take and so much to learn in a short period of time. 

But how could I give up a dream that I had since I was a little girl? Of course not (also my mother helped with the college tuition and she would have my ass if I didn't stay all five years); I was the oddball and the one who was far behind in all her classes. Witch magic was so different from fortune teller magic it was more complex and unique and uncontrollable as well. 


When I first met my mentor he wasn't my mentor yet. He was actually a second year student with more advanced skills than a normal second year should have. We met at a party and I was slightly getting drunk and was really feeling myself in the music they were playing, when I heard clapping sounds and cheers. “Hey what is going on?” I asked the witch Rosemary, my roommate and friend. “It seems as if wizard Elias has arrived at the party.” Everyone was surrounding him so I could barely get a good look at him, which made me slightly annoyed. I turned towards Rosemary, and locked arms with her. “Whatever! Let us dance our worries away, witch sister!” We danced around in circles, laughing and getting sweaty. I could feel people looking at us, well…mostly me but I wasn't about to let their judgment spoil my good mood, when head wizard Rutherford came up to me. “Young witch, I want you to meet someone.” Rose and I stopped dancing and turned around to head wizard Rutherford, my eyes widened when I realized he had someone beside him, someone with a strain stare on his face. “Look who decided to greet his twin sister.” Rosemarie said, ‘Elias…” Rosemary pulled Elias into a tight hug and he struggled to get away from her. “Ugh sister I don't need your germs all over me.” he casted a glance at me and I felt my heart thud, also my cheeks burned because I was a drunk bitch. “Naomi, this is Elias, he is a very popular and powerful wizard unlike we have ever seen before.” yeah…it sounds as if wizard Rutherford is just bragging about his star student. Heh, then I have no interest in him. “Naomi, I want Elias to become your personal teacher.” Eh? “Excuse me? I don't need a personal teacher!” They all gave me stares as if they didn't believe me, “Naomi, today you made a classroom burst into flames cause you couldn't control your magic. I realize now that you need special attention and Elias is the perfect one to give it to you. Do not worry, he has already agreed to train you.” What should I do? I am a trash witch, everyone knows it, but damn wizard Rutherford believes it as well. I want to become a powerful witch, I want to be the first person to change their destiny, I clench my hand into a fist and look Elias in the eyes. “Fine, I agree to this.”   

Wizard Rutherford gave a sigh of relief, as if he was holding his breath the whole time.  



                                                                                                                       “It's as if you are not accepting the fact you have magic!!” Elias   shouted at me, “I do accept that fact!” I shout back, “really? I have never seen someone so blocked off from witch magic they can make anything explode with just a spell.” he always knows how to piss my little nerves off, I stare intensely at my hands. He has only been my mentor for a month and no progress has been made (I’m prettyyyyy sure he thinks I am a normie), I sigh. “We should just stop for the day.” I say putting on my jacket, we were practicing the same spell for hours and I wasn't understanding it at all, honestly I felt like a failure. And Elias wasn't helping my self doubt at all. “You're right! You need a break, your whole chi is blocked and out of balance I can feel it.” I rolled my eyes, not in the mood to question whatever the hell he just said. “whatever…I will see you tomorrow I guess.” he had his back turned as he waved me away, I stared at his back for a few seconds before leaving .


I open my dorm room to find Rosemary doing her homework and doing dishes at the same time. “Rose! You know you're not supposed to use magic for personal use!” I shout, “oh come on nai…head wizard doesn't know about it and besides there was so much I have to do that it’s like…why not use my magic?” I place down my bag feeling uneasy about her using magic like that. On the first day of college wizard Rutherford told everyone in the gathering room that magic is not a willy nilly thing. We learn magic for the greater good of the world, anyone who uses it outside of our morals will be casted as a dark magic user, and no one wants to be that. “So how was my little brother? Did he teach you anything today?” “yeah…in a way.” I am not telling Rose how I set his robe on fire or how I made a fly turn bigger than it should. I walked to my room and closed the door behind me. My room was pretty dull with barely any decorations, just like me. If Elias can't even teach me proper magic what is the point of trying? Maybe I should just focus on my ancestors magic-no! This is my dream and I have to reach for it, no matter how hard it gets. I pull out a spell book and start practicing spells all night.


I was at the training room before Elias. I decided since I was up all night reading about spells and trying-but failing-to do them. When Elias walked in with something in his hand. “You're here before me?” he asked, looking too surprised by the sight of me, whatever! I am not going to be bothered by his rudeness as at. “I want to show you something, teacher.” “I told you not to call me that Naomi.” I rolled my eyes. “Now what is it?” “I was doing this levitation spell all night and I think I got it now.” “you got a spell down? Wow I thought I would never see the day.” the rude bastard, “I want to show you it teacher.” I saw his out lines flinch, I smirk as he looked away from embarrassment I hope. “Alright, pupil show me.” I ignored his come back and held out my hands, I mumbled the levitation spell praying that it would work. I made a sound and squeezed my eyes shut. Come on, come on! “Holy…shit.” Elias said with a hint of something in his voice. I opened my eyes to find everything was floating, my book bag, a few chairs and a table. The only thing that wasn't floating was me and Elias. “I taught you something!” Elias said with a huge grin on his dumb face. I was lost for words…I did it? “You didn't teach me anything!” I say instead of celebrating my win. “I did this myself…” he looked at me as if I was a stupid high schooler girl on tv. How is he able to make me feel so small when I just did something so big? Suddenly everything fell to the ground startling me. “No! Damn it you distracted me and now the spell is broken!” an evil smirk appeared on his face and I felt an uneasy feeling in the pit of my belly. “I…distracted you?” oh I forgot to tell you but my mentor can be a total dick sometimes, he is always trying to flirt with me but I pretend not to notice it. But this time…he got me. “I don't mean it like that weirdo.” I stare at my hands again and then clench them into fists. “This is a sign teacher.” “What is the energy fuming off of you?!” “teach me harder ones Elias…I am done with these basic spells I need harder ones.” he shook his head, “I don't know Naomi…I just think it better to start slow with someone so…special like you.” I hope he feels my glare of hatred. “I don't care! I need a challenge teacher so why not turn the heat up a notch?” Elias stared at me for a few seconds then shrugged. 

“If that is what you want…I’ll give you more of a ‘challenge’” 



By “challenge” my “mentor” actually gave me a harder spell. “I want you to practice this…” he opens a spell book to a conjuring spell, “eh?! You want me to conjure something?” he nodded his head, okay I wanted something hard but not that hard! “I don't think…” “Your mother is a fortune teller right?” he asked right out of the blue. “Um…yes?” “Okay then, a conjuring spell shouldn't be so hard for you.” “How do you know?” “Because fortune tellers basically conjure a person’s future which means you are able to conjure anything and everything, it is in your veins.” Why does he talk like that…making me feel as if I was…special? Important? Well whatever he was trying to do I felt my heart flutter, I looked away from him and snatched the spell book out of his hand. “Well teacher you must expect the best from your pupil.”      


I had my two index fingers together and my thumbs were together. They created the gun sign, I brought them close to my chest and closed my eyes. Elias stood to the side watching me, I whisper the spell words. The thing about witch conjuring is that we are not raising spirits like necromancers, we are making our own monsters. But I had trouble thinking of a monster. I had so many ideas in my mind that the spell couldn't handle it. A painful spark left my hand and I opened my eyes, seeing a burnt mark on my palm. “Ughhh! Why did you give me a hard spell?!” “You asked!” (oh yeah…I did ask, heh) I looked away from him and fell to the ground sighing. “Why is magic so hard for me?” I say out loud. “Eh, it's hard for everyone.” Elias walked over to me, bending his knees over placing a hand on his chin with a smile on his face. “It took a while for me to get as perfect as I am, give me your hand.” I looked at him with an expressionless look. “Why should I?” “Because I can heal it, weirdo.” I rolled my eyes and gave him my hand, he examined it for a few seconds before closing his hands around mine. He started to say the healing spell out loud as his hands started to glow. I stare at him hard. He kind of looked…pretty…handsome while doing the spell, he looked so focused and serious and his hair was floating around as if it was in water. What the hell am I thinking? When he was finished I pulled my hand away from his, my face felt hot and sweaty. “Your hands are so soft! What cream do you use?!” Elias suddenly asked. Instead of answering his question I stood up and pointed at him, “teacher! I will master this spell and many more to come, I will not let myself down!” 



Well…many more burns were to come. Elias was nice enough to cheer me on but in a way he has to…he is my mentor. He kept healing me and I kept failing. I went to class sulking and I came out of class sulking, why am I different? “Naomi! I came with a message from your mentor!” Rosemary said after all of our classes were over, “uh…tell him I am not able to make it to our training session because…I have a lot of homework to do.” “huh? We are not in high school anymore, we don't get homework…” “alright! Bye!” I ran away from Rose, yes I lied and you would too if you were a total failure and was not in the mood to train with your hot teacher because he will make your heart beat a thousand times faster than it should every time you see him…where am I? I ran far from the campus and into a place I was unfamiliar with. This place seemed to be a cherry blossom garden because there were a lot of cherry trees everywhere, there were also statues of witches and wizards in a circle in the middle of the cherry garden. All of them had their right hand stretched out into the center of the circle, their faces looked solemn and they seemed to be sad…as if they were making a sacrifice. How come I have never been to this place before? There was a strong flow of magic around the statues, anyone was able to feel it. Anyways, who were these people? I felt an uneasy feeling in my gut, and with how much magic I felt…a lightbulb turned on in my mind, what if I…I put my hands in the conjuring spell position, I closed my eyes and whispered the spell. “I call upon the spirits up above, hear my cry, make the image in my mind come to life.” I felt a spark but it didn't hurt at all, then I felt a few more. I opened my eyes to see a bright light coming from my hands as a bright figure started to form. My breath quickened, I dropped my hands to my side and watched as this figure created long arms and legs and a long face. “Naomi!-?!” Elias stood beside me, a shocked look on his face, “what-” “shh.” I said as it finished creating itself. Suddenly, a long boney black abnormality stood before us, staring at us. I couldn't believe it… “Naomi…did you…” “conjure this? Yes.” We stood in silence for a few seconds and stared at the abnormality, and it stared back at us. “Usually…when someone uses the conjuring spell…they conjure up a dragon or titan not…a disfigured looking thing.” Elias said, looking at me with a serious expression on his face. “It makes me wonder…what goes on in your head Naomi.” I couldn't look Elias in the eye, I made this-this thing. And somehow it didn't sit right within me. I broke the spell and the abnormality disappeared. I turn to walk away, “hey! Aren't you happy you did a hard spell perfectly?” I gave him a glare, not a fake glare, but a real one. “Can't you see I am dysfunctional? I can't do proper spells and when I do I make things float or look like things from a frickin’ horror movie! Elias you can't even fix me! Why did I come to this stupid school if I am such a failure!” I ran a hand through my hair. My lungs felt as if they had a limited time to breathe. “My mother was right…becoming a witch is just a child’s…dream.” “aye!” Elias grabbed my shoulder and shook me until I felt sick. “Why are you talking shit about yourself? You have grown truly over the month I have known you, you are a strong willed witch but you are blocking yourself off from greater things! You can't let negative thoughts control you, you have to stay positive! I can't 'fix' you Naomi, you must do that yourself.” we stare at each other in the eye, did it feel hotter than it should? Heh. I take a step back and lift my head to my mentor, “your right Elias…” I place one hand on my hip, and point the other to Elias' chest. I give him a determined look and a huge grin. “The only way to fetch my dream is to be…POSITIVE! Because if I keep bringing myself down I won't ever accomplish anything will I?” Was his face red? “Y-yes?” “Then we have to work harder and stronger! Together!” I turned away from him and started walking back to the campus, but I stopped and looked at Elias again, with a different type of look on my face. “Thank you Elias…for being my mentor and…friend.” 


So yeah, I hate my mentor, I hate his encouragement and I hate his friendly smile. I hate him so much I just might…love him.  



October 31, 2023 15:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

David Sweet
19:16 Nov 07, 2023

I am so glad that you are pursuing your dream of writing. It is definitely in the YT category. I'm sure you mean for this to be a larger story. Looks as if you are doing some word building. As you read other work, notice how dialogue is structured. You have great dialogue, but it gets lost in long paragraphs. Keep up the great work!

Reply

15:38 Nov 09, 2023

thank so much for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:28 Nov 04, 2023

I wanted to make it feel as if the protagonist feel as if she was taking to you, the reader. And I think I did a pretty good job. Anyways thank you for reading my story, it really helps! I will be seeing you in more of my future content, thank you again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.