0 comments

Fiction Science Fiction Thriller


Peggy was almost finished with the outdoor arrangements; she was so happy to be planning her first official wedding! Peggy wanted to make a good impression - she was meticulous with everything! Her assistant Carol was stressed to the max - wanting to please her boss and potentially stay on as a full-time employee.


"Carol, have the Murphy's arrived yet?" Peggy asked nervously. "No, they are actually going to be running about twenty minutes late" as Carol relays this information to Peggy, she braces for her reaction. "Well - that is just great - the Minister will not be a happy camper; he has a funeral booked later today!! Peggy starts to pace up and down the church's rectory hallway. Carol pipes up with a solution, "I will take care of Father Parker; now go, I will be along shortly!" Peggy suddenly remembers why she hired Carol - she is always good in a sticky situation. 


Carol makes her way to Father Parker's office and knocks on the door, "Come in," Carol slowly opens the door to Father Parker's office. He ushers her to have a seat as he studies the notes for the wedding ceremony. "A…Father Parker…there is something I need to tell you - the Murphy's are going to be a tad late." Father Parker slowly looks up from his notes with a look of concern. "Carol, that would be a problem, but it just so happens you are in luck; the funeral that was scheduled to take place shortly after the wedding has been rescheduled." Carol cannot believe their luck, "Oh my goodness, this is such good news!" Father Parker assures Carol that she can relax and let Peggy know there is no need to panic.


"Peggy, Peggy!!!" Carol yells, waving her arms in the air as she rushes across the lawn. Peggy looks up from her clipboard to see Carol sprinting towards her. Carol reaches her and doubles over, trying to catch her breath. "What on earth is the matter?!" Peggy asks. "Father Parker wanted me to assure you that you can relax; there is no need to panic - the funeral this afternoon has decided to rescheduled." Peggy can't believe it; it's a miracle she starts to do a happy dance. "Carol, this is great news the Murphy's will not know the difference!" Peggy and Carol high-five each other. 


The Murphy's finally arrive at the church! Peggy and Carol gather around the wedding party to make sure that everyone knows their places and roles. The bride walks down the aisle with her father, arm and arm - to the wedding march to meet up with her groom - this goes off without a hitch. Peggy and Carol are elated they did it! "Peggy, I will head off to the event hall to make sure that everything under the tent is ready for the wedding guests." Peggy agrees and sees Carol off. "Peggy, the wedding was beautiful!" the bride's mother tells her. "Why, thank you, Mrs. Murphy; I am so glad that everything worked out for your daughter's big day!" 


Peggy ties up any loose ends at the church and tells Father Parker that she will see him shortly at the wedding reception. The grounds are abuzz with the food carter and wait staff, the wedding band, guests and family members. It is a gorgeous July summer's day; the sky is so blue like a giant Topaz gemstone - you could pluck from the air.  The wedding guests are all seated and enjoying the catering - choosing either steak or chicken with the carter's signature sides and salads.  The desert is either chocolate souffle or chocolate cheesecake. "Well - Carol, let's you and I go inside and have our meal!" The carter brings in dinner and dessert for Peggy and Carol and a bottle of wine compliments of the bride and groom. 


When they finish their meal, they go back inside to cut the wedding cake and get ready for the switch over the reception of the night's celebrations. Peggy is on a high she cannot believe that her first official wedding has been a success. "Peggy, I am going to make sure the band has the correct sheet music and start time - for the playlist and especially for the first dance." "Yes, Carol, thank you, I am going to make sure the catering crew and the event staff know how things should be torn down and then reset." It doesn't take long for the outside venue to transform into a nighttime summer dream - stringed lights and lanterns along with yellow and white flowers placed around the dance floor.


Peggy and Carol stand back and look at their creativity and professionalism. "You and Carol have done a bang-up job - with this wedding - I have already heard rumbles from some of the wedding guests they are looking to book you - for their wedding!" Father Parker happily relays to Peggy and Carol. "Well - Carol, I can safely and confidently say you are hired on as a full-time wedding assistant with Lemon Drops Weddings!" Carol cannot contain her excitement and gives Peggy a huge hug. "Thank you, Peggy; this is my dream job!" Carol says, trying to hold back her tears of joy.


"Hey Peggy, I think we should get back to the dance; we don't want to miss the bride and groom's first dance as man and wife!" Peggy and Carol watch with delight and joy as the bride and groom dance their first dance as man and wife. The air has cooled a bit but not like on a typical summer night. It feels icy cold, almost like a crisp winter night. It has also clouded over far from the virtually cloudless day. "Did you listen to the weather forecast today, Carol??? Carol assures her that she had, and it stated, a perfect summer day. The wedding guests immediately reach for their light jackets and wraps, unable to believe the temperature difference.


As Peggy decides to set up the fire pits to warm up, the wedding guests…a lone snowflake lands on her cheek. "Oh my God, Carol, I just felt a snowflake on my cheek!" Carol pulls her aside, not wanting anyone in earshot to hear what Peggy just said. "No…it was probably a little rain; I mean, it is July." Carol no sooner states this fact, and it starts to snow heavily - and the wind starts to pick up as well. The temperature also drops dramatically - freezing water and any other liquid instantly. Snow in July would be strange and unheard of at any other time on the planet, but this was the time of “Random Freeze Storms.” If you disregard the forecast and do not heed the weather warnings, you may find yourself not unlike the Murphy Wedding Partly - frozen in place on your wedding day.


January 22, 2021 02:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.