4 comments

Happy Funny

This story is just for fun, but feel free to read it if you would like!

(I DO NOT want to win this contest, or any, it is just for fun 😜)

~Petals~

By Toca Fox


"Bye boss! Have a great weekend!"

"Goodbye, Caroline! You as well!"

The sun beats down on my skin as I leave the antique shop and look down at my Fitbit and scan the top of the screen to see the time 4:21pm. Perfect! Just in time to get back to the my apartment and get ready for my interview at 5. The clouds above me growl and whistle howls of wind as if telling me they are about to open up. I hurry a little bit more to my car across the road, hoping I can make it home before the rain starts, or at least before it starts down pouring.

I pull out the silver handle of my white Honda Fit and slip into the drivers seat and pull the door shut. Before I do anything else I check to make sure the top of the car is closed and start going slowly down the yellow brick road. As I turn left off of Brick street avenue, I see a drop of crystal rain drop onto my windshield. Then I see another drop, and another, until there is a big handful of rain drops covering my windshield. They fall down slowly, one at a time, little tiny drops. I sigh, hoping that it doesn't start pouring until I get to the safety of my apartment. As I pull into the lot in the back of my complex, I watch my light-washed boyfriend jeans get covered with rain, drop by drop. I pull up the hood of my yellow cropped sweatshirt over my white space buns and jog over to the back door. I jam in my silver key through the lock hole and the door slips open and I slip in.

My black umbrella is sitting in the corner of the doorway, smirking at me as if saying "Haha! You forgot to take me to work and now your all wet!"

Your fault, I smirk back, I could not find you this morning because I forgot to put you back in my apartment.

"Well it's your fault you forgot to put me back in your apartment!" I imagine him smirking back at me, as if he is actually talking to me even though it is just my imagination.

I roll my eyes, and pick it up by the handle. I decide to take the stairs, up 3 flights of stairs up to my apartment. Floor one passes, then two, then I'm finally at the entrance to the 3rd floor. I pace to the back of the hallway and turn left to room 32, my apartment. I pull out my gold key with red roses twisting across it, and pop it into the hole. My door opens up into my blooming apartment, and I place my key ring back into my backpack as I hang it onto the empty hook. I place the umbrella in the cubby underneath it and head over to my bedroom.

Sitting on my bed is the Bright yellow dress with white polka dots on it and the yellow bow headband I had picked out to wear with it. I slip out of my jeans and sweatshirt I had been wearing earlier, covered with rose petals and fertilizer. I slip into my dress, pull my hair down as flows out of the space buns and all the way down to my hips. I slip the head band on and go over to my closet to grab my burlap wedges. I check the time again and read 4:41pm. I decide I probably dont have time to water my flowers, so I grab my résumé off the kitchen counter and place it into my manila folder in my bag along with my other job applications, and start heading down the hall.

When I finally make it through the rain and to my car, my trench coat was soaking wet. I open it slowly to take it off and sigh relievedly when I see my dress as dry as a bone. alright, this is it. I take a deep breath and start driving out of the parking lot. As I drive off down the road, tension and anxiety builds in me like I'm a balloon. I started out the day as an empty balloon and as the day goes on, I start to fill up, and now I'm full to the very top, about to pop.

Down comes the rain, on my windshield, and my window. I pull up to the empty estate which is right next to the antique store I currently work at. This is it. It's either owning your own flower shop, or working as an employee at an antique store and at olive garden. I slide out of my car and through the door as the bell above it makes a b-ring! As if telling me you got this! I manage a slight smile and walk into the empty room. I see a desk in the corner with a tall, with a slim looking women sitting behind it.

"Hello!" I say, my anxiety in my voice.

"Oh, Hello. Are you miss Caroline?" The women says.

"Yep, that's me!" I reply.

"Nice to meet you. My name is Alaina and I will be interviewing you." Her voice is cold. "Go ahead and take a seat and we can get started."

"Alright." I walk over to her and take a seat.

"So, let's get started. Why do you want this estate?"

"Well, all my life I've wanted to have my own flower shop. It has been my dream ever since I was 6. I like to see people's face light up when they find the perfect flower. I love flowers, and plants, and my goal is to get a community garden in the middle of town."

"um, alright that's lovely. uh, so, what is your current job?" She is slightly frowning, and I begin to lose hope.

"I'm currently working at the antique shop next door, and I also work at the olive garden."

"Ah, I see. Your currently working two jobs?"

I gulp. "Yes. I have been working two jobs in hope of getting an estate for my flower shop."

"Alright. May I see your résumé?"

"Yep." I hand her the manila folder as she pulls out my résumé and scans it coldly.

"Ok. How much do you have to offer for this estate?" She has a small smile on her face, and she spreads it to me.

"six thousand dollars."

"Alright, welcome to your flower shop."

Six months later...

"My pleasure. Have a nice day!"

"You too!"

As the door opens and the bell rings I see a women at the door gasp in astonishment. "Hello! Welcome to petals and vines, let me know if you need any help!"

She smiles at me as she gives herself a tour. I see her gasp at a pink magnolia, and she walks over to me. "How much will this be?" her voice is so sweet and kind, it sooths me.

"Well, your first purchase is free but feel free to donate to a community garden if you would like." I give her a smile and she smiles back at me.

"Oh, why thank you." she winks at me as she drops twenty dollars into my donation jar.

I gasp, astonished. "R-r-really?" I cant believe she donated so much. "This will be enough to get it started!"

"Well congratulations. good luck!" she smiles as she leaves the shop, bell ringing.

I sigh, happily, knowing I am right at home.


March 26, 2021 22:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Kylee Haverty
14:47 Jun 02, 2021

Such a cute story! What happens to be your favorite flower? Mine is a rose. Loved the story, great job!

Reply

Moon 🌙
20:02 Aug 10, 2021

mine is a daisy! tysm!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Rose
15:21 Mar 27, 2021

Awww, this was absolutely adorable!! 😊 Good job, and welcome to Reedsy!!! 💛

Reply

Moon 🌙
22:15 Mar 27, 2021

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.