Contest #47 winner 🏆

245 comments

General

You sip on hot lemon and honey. The steam rolls out of the cup like a vertical carpet. It covers your nose and fogs your view of the peeling rosebud wallpaper over the sink. There are grocery store flowers on the scrubbed, scratched table, and a curling piece of paper with your mother's words scrawled across it in black pen, all caps. Her instructions, which include drinking this mugful, feeding the dog, and bringing in the mail are written in English. Anything that has to do with loving you is in Spanish.

Mi cielo, she calls you. My sky.

You cough violently into the crook of your elbow and sit at the edge of the table. It is morning and it is March in San Bernadino. Bright green tendrils of crawling leaves press against the kitchen window and the sky is the color of dust in light as you make neat folds in the edges of your mother's note. Your throat is a raw, tender patch of heat, as if the High Desert region has parasitically stitched itself inside you in hopes you will never go, never leave it. So you swallow again, tangy lemon and smooth honey. Heat joins heat. You fight fire with fire.

You stand. The dog finds you, its nails sounding on the linoleum in crisp, quick clacks. You bend at the waist and ruffle its ears. Its pink tongue lolls. You kiss her forehead and then rinse out your mug. You set the Dollar Store porcelain in the sink, resolving to wash it sometime between a few television shows and your mother's return.

The strip of carpet that runs to your bedroom does not send chills through the naked soles of your feet like the linoleum did, and for that, you are grateful. You pad to your room in the back of the house where the blankets on your bed remain mangled and waiting for you to cocoon beneath them again. Your Class of 2011 sweatshirt is crumpled on the floor. You tug open your closet door and select a pair of sandals. The dog follows you.

You flip flop to the concrete patio out back and tear open the lid on a can of wet dog food. You bang on the butt of the can until a soft, brown cylinder plops into the bowl. As per routine, your dog's eyes rest on the food with ravenous intent, but obeys when you nudge her with your knee, the one that still needs surgery, and say, "Oración." Prayer.

She drops to her belly and buries her head between her paws.

"Gracias, Señor, y bendícenos estos alimentos que vamos a recibir de tu generosidad por Cristo Nuestro Señor. Amén."

At "amen," your dog pounces the bowl.

As a child, you sometimes said the prayer and postponed the amén, fascinated by the sight of your pup struggling somewhere between obedience and desire. Her eyes would twitch upward at the pause, and you'd laugh. You are ashamed of this, but a part of you even enjoyed knowing you held the power to keep a creature smaller than you trapped by your silence until one day you realized you felt so much like her, shaking with anticipation for the right to seize all that waited for you. For the first time, you heard the notes of cruelty in your laughter. You lost heart in the joke.

You slip through the slapping screen door and walk through the kitchen, the living room, and out the front door. You cough again. You open the tin top of the mailbox attached to the side of the house, right below the address numbers.

Vaguely curious, you file through the mail. There are bills. A flier for the car dealership on the east end. A birthday card from Tía Alejandra. An envelope from Seattle University.

An envelope from Seattle University.

You begin to shake then. Your foot is poised over the threshold of the doorway, and the door smacks your shoulder. The dog barks at the back door, but she sounds as far away as memories of your father, as far away as the stars. You stare at the official insignia printed in the left-hand corner of the envelope and at your name in the center until it is blurry enough to be anyone else's.

Something sharp and alive drives through you until you are blinking at the ceiling and gasping for air, smiling and terribly afraid. You wring out your hands because you feel like you should and you pace for a moment before striding to the table that held your elbows just moments ago. You drop the rest of the mail by your mother's note and pace again because a chair cannot hold you. Your heart is a balloon round with whistling lightness, so full and fragile.

You hold the edge of the table and stare at the envelope there, rectangular and thick. You turn it over and stare at its sealed belly and press your fingernail beneath the fold. All the pictures you've seen of Seattle contain an ocean that is geographically the same, but quite unlike your own: brooding and grey, tracing the edge of the city in frothing white when the storms come through. There will be something comforting about a sick day in Seattle, you think; the sun will not always be in your eyes, the cobalt streets will cradle you, you will watch the world from a window up high. The fog will heal you, remind you of the steam of hot lemon and honey. And perhaps when you come home, you will be able to ask your mother whether she can see how new you are. You will build something there, something totally your own, and one day your mother will have a dishwasher.

Everything in you longs to rip the seam of the envelope because everything in you wants to know what tomorrow means. But your mother calls you mi cielo, and she is not there. So you wait for her return. You wait for her amén.

June 27, 2020 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

245 comments

Hope Reynolds
04:17 Aug 03, 2020

Your description of excitement, and the character's anticipation yet self-sacrifice is amazing! Fire with fire, describing the character's thoughts, sensations, longing for another place. The character's laugh yet thoughts about the dog. It is relatable, real. Thank you so much for sharing!

Reply

Miranda Carter
17:32 Sep 04, 2020

I love this comment so much! Thank you for reading and for reaching out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aysel Mist
08:48 Aug 01, 2020

Aw I'm so glad I clicked on this! I love the way you described the anticipation - I was grabbing my armrests and holding my breath without even realising it. Beautifully written ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ana V
22:24 Jul 30, 2020

I love how you move this story along, short and sweet. The descriptive details really made me engaged of this story. Please do take a trip to my profile using this link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/ana-v-52b2e4/ I would love if you could leave some constructive feedback on how I should improve my writing. It would mean a lot! (Also, it would be nice if you check my writing consistently, and comment so that you could comment on my addition writing pieces I will write in the future!) Question: Do you know...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Abigail Slimzy
00:23 Jul 28, 2020

Wow! Beautiful work. You deserve the win. Congratulations. If you don't mind please, check out my stories too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Raquel Rodriguez
19:12 Jul 27, 2020

This is so good! You definitely deserved to win. If you have time, could you check out my recent submissions? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Katrina Lee
04:00 Jul 26, 2020

There is a succinct quality to your construction of every sentence, and they always deliver a blow; the way you develop the story is masterful:) and I looove the descriptions! Great story all round.

Reply

Miranda Carter
17:33 Sep 04, 2020

That journalism training definitely helped with keeping things succinct but powerful! I am so glad to see my growth in that displayed here. Thank you for your comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Isa Gonzales
10:08 Jul 21, 2020

This is so beautiful, and I can and will never get over this work of art you've conjured with words, culture, and more than a touch of heart. Congratulations!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Annora Chen
13:25 Jul 20, 2020

I wanna tell u, THIS IS AN AMAZING WRITTEN PIECE! it's soooooo inspiring. and i really like the comparison of you and the dog(not in a bad way, I'm sorry if this sounds offensive) and I love your last phrase. it moved me soo muchhh.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:40 Jul 17, 2020

This story deserved to win! It is beautifully written and the POV makes it all the more interesting!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ojas Shende
00:14 Jul 17, 2020

NIce vocab

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ela Lind
11:52 Jul 16, 2020

It was awesome, I loved the description of the honey tea at the beginning.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Timothy Li
01:15 Jul 16, 2020

Congrats!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Christine Casey
01:00 Jul 14, 2020

Beautiful story. Well told.

Reply

Miranda Carter
19:52 Jul 14, 2020

Thank you so much for reading, Christine, and for your kind comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dylan Heath
22:11 Jul 10, 2020

This story has great detail. Stories in the 2nd person are difficult to do right, but this works. Really like it. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Miranda Carter
19:52 Jul 14, 2020

I did not realize how much I would enjoy writing in the second person! It came out so smoothly for this story. Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
K.M. Hotzel
09:35 Jul 10, 2020

I love the imagery - it's beautiful and captivating. Congratulations on your win 🥳

Reply

Miranda Carter
19:53 Jul 14, 2020

Thank you so much! I am so honored you took the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leane Cornwell
15:58 Jul 09, 2020

Beautifully written. I feel the devotion between daughter and mother.

Reply

Miranda Carter
19:54 Jul 14, 2020

I am so grateful the strength in relationship and family honor translated. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:38 Jul 07, 2020

Great story. I live the feeling and description of drinking hot lemon and honey and how you get back to mi Cielo at the end.

Reply

Miranda Carter
19:55 Jul 14, 2020

One of those circular stories indeed! Thank you so much for reading and commenting the parts that most stood out to you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucy Frejkova
18:27 Jul 07, 2020

Wow, what a beautiful short story! Gave me goosebumps at the end and also wondering what did the letter say! :-D Well done, that is a deserved win!

Reply

Miranda Carter
20:06 Jul 14, 2020

I am so excited that you enjoyed it! The letter said yes, at least in my imagination. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace Kejo
08:05 Jul 07, 2020

I love how the excitement builds at the end of the story. Totally deserved win 🖤

Reply

Miranda Carter
20:07 Jul 14, 2020

Thank you so much, Grace! I so appreciate your thoughts.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace Kejo
08:05 Jul 07, 2020

I love how the excitement builds at the end of the story. Totally deserved win 🖤

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.