0 comments

Christmas Friendship Fantasy

It was Christmas week and Beverley Long, often called Bev, had that feeling again; nostalgia combined with tradition, tied up with the story of a special birth. She had been so caught up with work that her social life was at best, slow at worst, boring! Then there was Mark. Mark was a work colleague, had asked her to his house; he was having a party on Christmas Eve. She understood that it was partly for his children, and partly to thank those who had helped him move on from the tragic death of his wife, Lyn. Beverley had helped more than most. She looked after Sam and Amy while Mark did the chores that needed to be done, or simply needed time out. She sensed that the evening would be no different, yet as the time drew closer, she wondered if her attendance was wise. She voiced her thoughts to her Mum who listened carefully and smiled,

“I think you should go, love. Mark has asked you as one of his friends; he would have said if he needed help with the children.”

“What are you thinking Mum?” asked Bev.

“Nothing.” Mrs Long did manage to look innocent.

“You’re not playing that game again?” Bev looked equally innocent.

“What game?” Surely Mum was not that naïve.

“The ‘One skirt and one pair of trousers equal a pair’, game.” Bev could not hide the sarcasm.

“Beverley Joan Long” Mrs Long only used that expression if she were a little annoyed “it is time to face facts. ONE: I try not to interfere with your life. TWO:  I recognise that it is your life THREE you look a lot more wistful these days, and FOUR: You could do a lot worse than Mark Stone, widower or not.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Mum.”

Joan Long smiled again.

“Wear something pretty and your new pink lipstick.” Joan advised, “by the way they are coming here on Christmas Day, anyway.”

“What?!” Bev could not believe her ears.

Why not? He will be exhausted from the party; he will try to make Christmas dinner and flavour it with salt via his tears. They will all be looking for Lyn whether wife or Mummy role, the children will cry. Besides, I ran it past Dad, and if I had not suggested it, he would have done.”

Bev tried to hide the smile as she thought

‘Good old Mum.’ She wanted to suggest it too, but thought better of it, she admitted such to Joan.

“Well, we are all agreed then. Mark did accept the invitation, so you go to the party prepared to both enjoy and help only if necessary.”

She arrived at Mark’s house early, where there were signs that the party was revving up.  The garden was festooned with lights and tinsel. A couple of blow-up reindeers seemed to watch everyone enter the front door, as though their presence acted as vigilantes. As she had brought a couple of things to share, Bev’s intention was to place these on the kitchen bench, and suss out whether or not help was needed. 

Mark’s sister, Judy, waved at her, and as though sensing Bev’s intent, said she, Bev, was to go out and enjoy herself. She saw Bev’s reluctance and smiled speaking again.

“Bev if you are really bored, there will be something for you to do.   I will be out shortly at least you know me.”

Bev walked down the hallway towards the living area. She had noticed a Cacatua cockatoo in a cage and thought nothing of it until it screeched,

“Will you marry me? Will you marry me?” and flapped his wings as far as he could within the cage.

“No, cocky, even I am not that desperate!” Bev thought.  Mark noticed her and waved; he was intent in conversation and could not get away. Sam and Amy were in the corner of the room, drawing. Bev went over to them.

“Hi, guys. What’s the news?”

Hi Bev.” they chorused heads down as though they were saying “Artists at work.”

“What are you drawing?” she asked

Sam mumbled something about fishing, Amy was intent on choosing pale colours. Bev could not work out whether or not Amy was drawing a bride with long flowing blonde hair, or an angel. She decided to ask.

“That’s pretty Amy. Is that a bride?”

“It’s an angel.” Amy volunteered “she has blonde hair, like Mummy.”

“So, she has.” agreed Bev

“Bev, did you know Mummy?” asked Amy looking up, clearly troubled.

“I met her once, but I did not really know her.” Bev was cautious but spoke the truth  Lyn was beautiful. It was obvious that she was very much in love with Mark and he with her. There were pictures of her in the house, two with the children one with Mark and some wedding shots. Lyn simply did not wake up one morning. The first Christmas without a loved one is hard for anyone, especially when you are seven.

“Oh,” said Amy, sighing “I miss her so much Bev.” her little face crumpled, tears were not far off.

“Come on Amy, no tears tonight it might upset Daddy.” Sam, was blunt, but Amy got the message, and hurriedly wiped her eyes. Then as though the hurt was bubbling up inside her, Amy said angrily:

“But, why did our Mummy have to die? She did not have cancer or anything: I miss my Mummy.”

There was silence in the room; no one knew what to do or say; least of all, Mark

Bev stood up, went to the party drinks table, poured two glasses of lemonade, and brought them back to the children; Judy almost on cue brought a small bowl of potato chips. Mark, came over with a glass of wine for Bev, whispering in her ear of all things:

“I love you.”

People say that in jest when someone has said or done the right thing, or if… ‘Perish the thought, Beverley’ she said to herself, though Mark was standing near her. Soon Judy was bringing nibbles around and Mark and Bev decided to help her.

It broke the ice for Bev, who knew some of the folk by sight and others from work. It gave her time to engage with them and break through the reserve that shyness or social ineptitude can cause. In addition, it allowed her to reflect on the kind of man Mark was, socially, and as Daddy; and not for the first time see the sadness, the look of despair that time would alter, but never quite heal. Bev so longed to reach out to him, to comfort him. Yet she was confused.

Lost in thought, Bev was unaware that Sam was tugging at her hand. She sprang into action and followed the ten-year-old back to the corner  Sam wanted to show her the finished product: a supposed salmon he dreamt of catching one day. Like Lyn, Sam was quite an artist.

Casually, but with a hint of calculation Sam said: “I think you love Dad, Bev.” he smiled then looked away

“Marry me, if you won’t have him.”

For the second time that evening and as though on cue  Cocky shrieked again

“Marry me, Bev,” then “Cocky want a cracker.”

At the front door, Mark was seeing his guests out

“I’m sorry it was boring for you, Bev.” The hug he gave her made her tingle; neither of them cared what people thought, the kiss was long and lingering.

“Good night Mark. See you all tomorrow.”

CHRISTMAS DAY

There were carols on the radio as Joan prepared the meal  Family gifts had been opened and there were a few under the tree for the visitors. The doorbell rang. Joan hurried out thinking it was her darling Bob, but it was Mark.

“Mrs Long I know it’s early but I wondered if you could use these, they were leftover from last night.”

“Of course, we can love, if you are sure. Oh, please just call me Joan your kids too, it's easier.” 

There were more footsteps at the door.

“G’day mate, I’m Bob. Bev’s out in the back if you want to see her.”

Joan and Bob expressed their thoughts by a look, Bob had no intention of backing down.  Mark escaped through the back door

Bev looked up, dropped the floral arrangement on the bench to greet him.

“I believe you received a proposal or three last night,” said Mark smiling.

“Mm! Cocky seems to be the winner.”

Mark looked pensive.

“Sam will be disappointed if Cocky wins, slightly less miffed if I…” he hesitated then took her hand

“Miss Long, will you marry me?”

Bev was stunned, it was sudden, Mark looked uncomfortable

“It’s too early, I’m sorry Bev.”

“No Mark.” she took his hand “I’m surprised that’s all; let me think.”

He nodded and walked away.

Later:

“That was scrumptious Joan.” said Mark “wasn’t it, kids?”

Amy nodded and Sam said thanks politely then turned to Mark

“Dad say something…else.”

All eyes were on Mark. Bob grinned Joan smiled Amy sitting on Joan’s knee, cuddled into the older woman, wondering what was happening.

Mark got up, walked over to Bev, got down on one knee.

He took a deep breath

“Bev, this will be the fifth time you hear this question this Christmas; Will you marry me, be another Mum to my kids? Will you accept me as I am, because I love you; we all love you as you are.”

“Yes, Mark oh yes.” Bev laughed “but what will cocky say?

“Nothing he is back at Judy’s house.” said Mark “he was there as a dialogue coach that’s all!”

Seeing her look Mark explained “He heard me practise the question, and damn me got in first.” he laughed

“Time for pudding.” said Joan “it is still Christmas…I think.”

December 24, 2020 03:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.