33 comments

Fiction Sad Teens & Young Adult

"Yeah, I am a pro horseback rider," Theo gloats. 

He's always trying to impress somebody. The first time it happened Theo wanted to start running. He almost died, too busy chasing approval from his potential mother. Foster mother. Rose, he called her. When he almost died Rose gave him up. So, he quit.

The second time it happened he decided to take up knitting. He only did it cause his grandmother loved it. He needed her approval; she was his only living family. He needed her to love him. He stopped when she died. He claims he stopped because he wasn't good at it, but that's not true. He stopped because kitting brings back the pain of when he lost the only thing he had left. He tried hiking next. Slipped, fell, got scared, and quit. 

Then it was horseback riding. He was actually pretty good at it. One of his longest hobbies. Anyone looking at him would think he was happy up there on the horse's back. I knew better. I could see how terrified he was. He only got up there to impress the girl he had a crush on. She didn't like him though. When he figured that out, he stopped.

Next, it was Pottery. Did that for a few weeks. Dried out his hands, so he stopped. Again.

He wanted to impress our gym-teacher next. Mr. Howler. Howler had told him he couldn't hold on to a talent, even if his life depended on it. That led Theo to try wrestling like Mr. Howler. Quit that after a month.

Theo has never been funny; he knew that too. But since his enemy, Cole Ginger told him that he felt he needed to prove him wrong. Standup comedy was Theo’s next victim. He was no Kevin Hart. Nobody laughed with him; only at him. He didn't like that, so he let it go.

"I might just join the army," He told me.

Anybody could see how defeated he was. The pain he wore on his face as if it were gulled there. I hated seeing him this way. Defeated. Words hurt more easily than they did before, and everyone could see it.

   He started writing next. Said he wanted to use the words that hurt him to heal others. Made sense to me. I wouldn't have minded if there wasn't an ulterior motive. He wanted approval from Bethel, his new foster mom. Only that didn't work out. He got hurt the more he tried to heal. Their relationship became toxic.

"You'll never be loved," she would say. "You good for nothing but a quick check!" she told him. She never physically hurt him, but she tore him to shreds. He didn’t know what to do with himself, so he saw a counselor. The counselor helped him as much as she could've. 

His next hobby didn't come from wanting approval this time. It came from wanting to prove he wasn't useless. He became a yes man. No matter what someone asked him to do he always said “yes” 

One good thing that came from him saying yes though, he found a different hobby a healthy one. He wanted to try guitar, my favorite hobby of his. 

He wasn’t good at it, but he was happy, happier than he had been in a long time. He did guitar for a year. He stopped when he was officially adopted by Mister and Misses Cooper. They made him quit. Told him it hurt their ears. So, Theo quit. He didn’t want to risk being thrown out again; he chose their happiness over his. 

He was content with living with the Coopers’, but he wasn’t happy, at least not on the same level of happiness he was on when he had the guitar. He didn’t want to disappoint the Coopers, he never did. If they wanted to start reading, he did that too. If they started dancing, he would too. 

Until he met Hillary, his first love. He did everything he could to make sure he got her approval. He backslid to his old ways. Hillary loved fashion, so Theo took classes to learn how to sew. He kept that up as long as they were together. 10 years. She gave up on him. So, he quit. 

One day, it dawned on him that everyone in his life that meant something to him had either left him, gave him away, or died. Eventually, he just crashed. Started his new and final hobby. Becoming insouciant. He stopped caring about everything including his own life. 

I tried to help him, but he wouldn’t listen. Stopped listening to anyone who had potentially cared for him. Started drowning out his pain with Beer and Vodka. Started smoking too. Every time he inhaled a cigarette it was like he was inhaling everything, all his problems, and pain. And every time he exhaled, he was getting rid of everyone’s warnings and comfort. Blocked out anyone who tried to help. He didn’t want help. He had a death wish and nobody could change his mind. He became reckless in everything he did. 

For the next 20 years, that’s what he did. He inhaled all pain and exhaled any guidance or help. Inhale, Exhale. Until one day, he didn’t exhale.

 I don’t tell them that though. I tell them that he was loyal, kind, giving. I tell them about all the good things he was and all the good things he did. I tell them stories of the few moments he had when he was happy. I tell them of the days before he spiraled out of control. 

I tell them about the old Theo. The happy Theo. The Theo who was my friend. I don’t tell them about the dark Theo. Or the hurt Theo. Or the Theo who never figured out what he wanted. I don’t talk about what led him here. What led him to this long, mahogany casket, six feet underneath, surrounded by the few people who cared for him.

He became reckless, he started to search for death and he finally found it. 








January 30, 2021 01:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

Laiba M
18:21 Feb 04, 2021

I love this story, Gabrielle! Good one~ :)

Reply

01:34 Feb 05, 2021

Thank you so much! I don't know if this is too much to ask but, what did you think about the ending?

Reply

Laiba M
02:12 Feb 05, 2021

Sure! I wasn't sure if I should give detailed feedback, as we've never talked before, but you seem really sweet!~~ I loved the ending the most. Theo was always searching for others' approval, taking up his time and energy to impress people he cared about, and finally, it's made clear that he was searching for death along with approval. I really like how you wrote this! Especially Theo taking up horseback riding, running, and wrestling; these really helped to push the idea that he was riding after, chasing after, or fighting for others' appro...

Reply

21:24 Feb 05, 2021

Aww, thank you so much! Yes, it is my actual name (through and through!). If I'm being completely honest with you my inspiration came from the story itself. I looked at the prompt and was like, "How the HECK am I going to do this?", I started writing and I guess I let the story take up its own form. What also came into play (as far as writing Theo) was remembering past me going down this spiral of always needed someone's approval or acceptance. I am a visual artist, a writer, and a musician. Since art is a subjective thing in general, I was...

Reply

Laiba M
23:18 Feb 05, 2021

Of course! :) Wow, it really is a beautiful one~ Ohh, that makes sense! That's really cool about you also being a visual artist and musician besides writing! I understand how your past would play into this story, and you did a great job of writing this out! Hmm, one thing I would say is that it becomes a little repetitive when you're describing his interests and how he slowly gave up on each. But other than that, I loved it! Especially the differences between the hobbies to show the huge range of different people he was trying to impress, f...

Reply

23:50 Feb 05, 2021

Yeah, I completely understand about the repetitive thing. That was something that I was worried about... Thanks so much for all your feedback and support!! I really appreciate it. We should definitely chat some more!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
01:38 Feb 12, 2021

Hey Gabrielle! Congrats on your first story, it's always such a good feeling, isn't it?? and to write an AMAZING first story is even better! I adore this!! I think the way you wrote this was really amazing and kept me hooked the whole time!! Sometimes the prompts seem really hard at first but you took it head on and I love the end result!!

Reply

01:43 Feb 12, 2021

AWW!! Thank you so much!!! I hope you don't mind me asking but, what was your favorite part??

Reply

Izzie Q.
01:48 Feb 12, 2021

I honestly just loved the story structure overall but I think the first line is what really drew me in! "glating" is SUCH a good word haha that sounds kinda childish but I literallly have a word doc of "pretty words"!! i like effervescent and persnickety and angst (the word, not the feeling!!) for a while, spaghetti was the only word on there :D

Reply

Izzie Q.
01:49 Feb 12, 2021

we haven't talked before have we? I can tell you're writing is gonna be amazing and I'm excited for more! just let me know when you post some and I'll pop right over to leave feedback!

Reply

01:56 Feb 12, 2021

No, I don't think we've talked before. I would definitely love to though so seem pretty cool! Hi, my name is Gabrielle but I typically go by Gabi. What about you? ;)

Reply

Izzie Q.
02:03 Feb 12, 2021

Oh my gosh, I've been so swamped too! I actually JUST took one of my hugeeee school exams today! digital school sucks :( Hi!! So so great to meet you Gabi!! My full name is Isabel Opal Stump-Coale (yep! i'm in the hyphenated last names club T-T) but I go by Izzy, which is actually how I spell my nickname. I should change that, I don't know why I put Izzie haha but I love the letter Q! It's so mysterious :)

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Izzie Q.
01:49 Feb 12, 2021

but we should totally chat more! i'd totally be up to that <3

Reply

01:53 Feb 12, 2021

Definitely! That sounds amazing!!! Also thank you for your feedback. I'm going to try to write and post more stories but sadly, this week I've been swamped :(( I've actually been busy writing my novel so I guess that's good news...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.