22 comments

Drama Fiction Romance

She looked over at him and gave a silent look of reproach. He always saw the look. She made sure of that: why else would she give him the “look”.

He didn’t ask her “what”; which is what he usually did. He didn’t ask any questions or come up with one of his often unusual, occasionally outrageous statements or counter questions. He simply lay there with his head in her lap. They were both covered in soot: that’s what happens when you are in a fire. 

She leaned over his face; a face that still excited her after all their years together, and softly said “ask me What! Babe”. “Please ask me what”. He remained silent, with eyes closed and labored breathing. 

She thought about what brought them to this dire situation. It had started because he wanted apple pie. And it brought them to this. Along the way she finally found out why he carried that gun everywhere. She used to like to ask him about it several times a week just to hear his response. Those responses varied from things like zombies, bunnies, gators –in a cheesy southern accent- and aliens –extraterrestrial, not illegal.

As he drove their solar car back to their future house, he kept checking the rear view mirror. By future house she meant that the house had been part of a worlds’ fair, before it all went to poop, not that they were going to live there at some point in the future. The house was totally “green” and had its’ own water supply and power source and was supposedly guaranteed to last for a thousand years. 

Since they were driving away from the almost daily twister that inevitably happened late in the day; she knew that he wasn’t worried about the weather.

“What is it babe”, she had asked. His reply was something nearly mumbled; either “I thought I saw something”, or less likely “I fought fish sticks”.

She didn’t see anything no matter which way she craned her head; but she did notice that he sped up and seemed agitated.

She couldn’t remember the last time she had seen him anxious like this. He was a rock really. He was always so calm; unless he was laughing. One of the things she found endearing about him was how he found humor in; maybe not everything, but certainly most things. She knew that she could always get him to laugh simply by saying the name of that lawn game where you throw bean bags onto a target board with holes in it. “Cornhole”; no matter what was happening, or what mood he was in, he would always giggle like a little boy when she mentioned that game.

She said it out loud “Cornhole”, on the off chance that he would respond. He did not. At least he was still breathing. She had been so worried when she pulled him out of their burning shed. His pant legs were scorched and the bottom of his shoes were melted. 

She remembered their first date; so many years before. They had met online; back when it was becoming more and more common; and less and less “desperate”. She was actually the one to reach out to him because his profile picture showed him standing at the entrance to the “Happiest Place on Earth”. They were both big fans of the Empire of the Mouse, and she had asked him if he went there a lot. Fast forward two years and he surprised her with a karaoke proposal. 

His breath faltered momentarily and it made her breath catch in her chest as well. She hadn’t seen the crazy who showed up in their back yard while he was in their large shed. He had been putting away boxes of toilet paper that they had scavenged and that’s when the crazy literally popped out of bushes near the shed and he had a sword – swear to god- a samurai sword, in one hand and a flaming bottle in the other. She called out to him; “John! Look out!”

She had no doubt that he was surprised that he heard his name: she routinely called him babe, and she didn’t think he had called her anything other than “My Love” for years.

She had looked on in horror as the crazy threw the flaming bottle through the doorway where the love of her life was standing with a confused look on his face.

She stroked his smoky hair and ran her hands over the parts of his body that she could reach. Her hands came away sooty but not bloody; so that was good. The left side of his face was fiercely red; but not blistered. Her basic first aid knowledge told her that he had first degree burns on his face. Some of the hair on the left side of his face was singed but his scalp seemed okay.

She remembered shortly after he proposed; telling him” I know you’ve been married before – you would probably be ok getting married at the courthouse”. His response with a smile had been, “I would be. But I know that you want more than that; so that means I want more than that”.

She remembered thinking “Dam, I love this man”, after he said that. She remembered that next year going by seemingly so fast, with all the planning and going to venues and tasting tasty cake. She remembered being somewhat surprised that this man loved her so much; not that she was an awful woman, but she had been a solo act for so long that she had gotten used to it. She had told him early on that she had been so focused on her education and career that she had somewhat limited experience romantically. She had never regretted her choices until the world started dying from that bat virus from across the globe. Her multiple advanced degrees were not particularly helpful as the world went down the tubes.

She remembered him jokingly telling her that since he was older, he was probably going to die first; and then him honest to god laughing and saying in a sing song fashion, “Ha Ha! You have to live alone”.

She had dragged him into their future house after his breathing became more smooth. He was heavy; not fat, even though he was short. He had always been pretty strong; in fact one of the strongest men she had actually known. So she had to drag him. Through the front door and to their bedroom on the first floor in the rear of the house. They usually liked to stay in their basement because several times a week there were tornadoes in the afternoon or evening and nothing says storm safety like a deep sturdy basement.

After he was put to bed; which was after she had stripped and cleaned him up, she went back outside to take care of the situation.

She made sure that the shed was “out”. Their shed was a “future” shed like the house and should not have caught fire like it did; even with the pyromanical bottle. 

It wasn’t till after she had driven their solar car partly through the side of the shed so she could have a non flaming entry and pull her husband who was actively on fire, to safety that the anti fire system had activated quite vigorously.

She remembered the crazy turning towards her after the shed started to blaze; and she remembered him taking 3 steps towards her with his sword held high. Then there were three loud booms; or maybe technically they were bangs. They were loud is what they were. She knew afterwards that her man had used his fathers’ gun to put three large holes in the crazy guys’ back. She also knew instinctively that he had always carried that gun with him for an occasion like this. 

She fell asleep sitting next to his bedside. She wasn’t ready to live alone. She awoke because a large bush had been uprooted by what had more and more become a routine tornado.

His bedcovers were damp with her tears. She was a crier; always had been, but she had only seen him cry three times.

The first time had been at their wedding. Maybe you could call it cliché; but she had always thought that things became cliché because they were so true, or right.

The second time had been on their first anniversary. She had found a craftsman who had made a canvas art piece that had each of their wedding vows; his on the left side and hers on the right.

The third and maybe last time had been several months after the virus started on its’ path to killing humanity. He had gotten news that his only daughter had succumbed to the damn thing.

The dawn came as she mused over tears.

She didn’t know how much longer she sat there till he took a deep breath and coughed several times.

She looked at him in the dim light and she could see his eyes flutter open.

She looked over at him and gave a silent look of reproach. He saw the look; he always saw the look. 

In a low and raspy voice he asked her “What?”

October 23, 2020 03:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

Moon Lion
04:11 Apr 16, 2021

Okay, I really, really enjoyed this story. You managed to seamlessly blend so many different aspects of their lives into the story and dialogue and it never felt clunky or misplaced, or like a distraction. Everything flowed incredibly well, and I kept feeling a very real sense of fear and nervousness about what was coming. You also grounded this world very well with an atmosphere, and everything felt real. Oddly enough there was some humour too! But if there was one thing I wanted to point out, it would be the punctuation and dialogue set ...

Reply

John Del Rio
05:09 Apr 16, 2021

Thank you for reading and for your constructive feedback. The stories with "Day" in the titles, like "Just another Day", "An apple a Day", and "Daybreak", are all about the same two characters in the same world/setting....

Reply

Moon Lion
16:26 Apr 16, 2021

That is so cool! I will read the stories in the order given in the bio.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
05:33 Apr 16, 2021

I was a bit lax on the mechanics of the story. I should go back and edit that if I can.

Reply

Show 0 replies
John Del Rio
05:33 Apr 16, 2021

I was a bit lax on the mechanics of the story. I should go back and edit that if I can.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 6 replies
15:16 Oct 29, 2020

Great story man! I didn't realize there was a series but you've done an awesome job. Are you going to make this in to a book or just sticking with short stories? Robert

Reply

John Del Rio
17:10 Oct 29, 2020

Thanks for your feedback. I think I will keep with short stories but maybe get enough of them together to make something more of it.

Reply

19:23 Oct 29, 2020

I agree, I’ve considered 50 short stories along the same storyline makes a book. Keep it up! Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Del Rio
22:14 Oct 29, 2020

I have been trying to do one for the prompts every week. I have an idea for either the graveyard or ghost one for this week

Reply

22:28 Oct 29, 2020

Good luck! Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Kaylee Tinsley
12:44 Oct 26, 2020

Wow! I really enjoyed this- even though I decided that I would have to hurt you if you killed one of my favorite characters :) Sometimes with more somber stories authors struggle to balance sadness with interest. If something is just so sad and dreary the reader quickly loses focus. I think you handled this beautifully. It definitely had a more serious tone than your previous stories in this series, but you also added some humor in and it really helped keep my interest. My only critique is that I would like to see some more sensory imagery...

Reply

John Del Rio
03:57 Oct 27, 2020

hello, i'm glad you enjoyed the latest installment. i did toy with the idea of him breathing his last after she woke at dawn; but it turns out he survived. my idea about their future house came from the worlds fair house of the future. they already live in their future house. it is automated and sleek and will be around long after they are gone. i also imagine it to be like sarah- the futuristic house from the show "Eureka" https://www.digsdigs.com/interior-design-of-house-of-future-from-eureka-tv-series/

Reply

Kaylee Tinsley
18:35 Oct 27, 2020

Well, I am very glad to hear you decided to keep him alive! :) I have never seen "Eureka," I will definitely have to look into it!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:49 Dec 02, 2020

What’s up peeps! I’ve written my first mystery and submitted it for this week’s contest. “Murder at Kasserine Pass” I’m looking for honest feedback. I’ll admit I’m kinda nervous. I had a few ideas but not enough space to put everything in this short story. Your opinions matter to me and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read my work. If you have something you’d like me to read please reply back and I’ll check it out. Robert

Reply

John Del Rio
06:16 Dec 02, 2020

I haven’t read it yet but assume it is historical fiction/mystery. World War 2 status, but we will see.

Reply

06:34 Dec 02, 2020

Yep, hope you like it. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
03:38 Mar 04, 2021

Hey everyone, I’ve posted another incredible story to Reedsy. Check it out and let me know what you think. By the way, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.