Brian Mingle was trapped and stuck in an elevator during a power outage, when the power went off.

Submitted into Contest #58 in response to: Write about a character who’s stuck in an elevator when the power goes out.... view prompt

0 comments

Mystery Drama Adventure

My story tells of Brian Mingle who was trapped and stuck in an elevator during a power outage.

The elevator relys on electric power supply to operate properly.


An elevator is a type of. vertical transportation machine that moves people or freight between floors levels or decks of building.

An elevator is also a mechanical lift that represents a level of status and wealth.

An elevator in an office building can represent your career , title or work status.

The elevator within a skycrapper or a Hotel represents your social status. The elevator depicts a state of your consciousness .

On Wednesday after Brian Mingle went on a shopping spree from Shoprite in the Mall. He decided to take the Elevator when descending down ,he was on the Twenty-seventh floor.

Brian Mingle observed that elevator moves within an up and down motion.

The Elevator surfing is also known as lift surfing or elevaroping that involves riding on top of elevators.

Again surfers in elevators can be crushed between the elevator and the too sides of the elevator shaft.

The Elevator requires almost a significant amount of electrical power during normal operation but in Brian issue there was power outage.

Also in order for the elevator to possibly function properly there should be enough power to always accommodate a full load at any time.

The Hydraulic elevators will use more electricity in the up direction but little power is needed to lower it.

The Traction elevator offsets power use with a counter weight. Also the elevators contains many electrical components that allows smooth operation.

Brian Mingle took the elevator but quiet unfortunate, he experienced a power outage in that elevator that may be due to power surges or flickers that causes delicate components to fail in the elevator. Others also commented that apart from the power outage, the software that runs the Elevator will often find faults and prevent the elevator from operating.

Brian Mingle was trapped and stuck in an elevator ,he had no option but to ring the emergency alarm. Brian did push the elevators alarm button in order to summon for help.

As noted Brian Mingle also called the Emergency number on the elevator plate in the Elevator.

Brian was stuck and trapped in the Elevator ,he could not possibly leave the Elevator except an emergency responder directs him.

Brian also commented that being stuck in an elevator is almost a reflection of your life being stuck.

You may seem to be on the path but you can not move up or down in the Elevator.

This also indicates that you may be currently in a dead end job.

When Brian was riding in the elevator ,he took note of the people who are in the elevator,what really happened inside the elevator including the fact that he and others were trapped in the elevator.

Brian and others also thought about their emotions when riding in the Elevator.


However in the morning when Brian was ascending to the upper floor, that is the Twenty seventh floor, the elevator was neither faulty nor experiencing power outage.

Likewise when he was descending in the elevator ,he experienced power outage in the elevator and was trapped and stuck in the elevator.

When Brian was descending from the Elevator ,he was also signified by all sorts of setbacks and misfortunes.

The elevator was not functioning normally ,when Brian was descending due to some power outage.

Again access the parts of your mind through the riding of the elevator. The elevator in an office building can always represent your career and work status.

Also when Brian was in the elevator he noted the cleanliness of the Elevator. Others also prefer to take the Elevator because they expect good profit, fortunes and success.

A crowded elevator as in the scenario with strangers does signify some sort of competition.

As in Brian's case, the elevator nearly crashed into the bottom floor.

It again suggests that the crashing Elevator loss of control can have the potential in causing real damage. Where the Elevator moves upward and crashes it indicates you are being catapulted to some position of power.

Brian also noticed that the Elevator was in a malfunction state this, he fell through the Elevator shaft

that suggests that you needed to be more mindful of your surroundings especially around the Mall.

When Brian Mingle was in the elevator, the elevator shut down, this did not allow passengers to swiftly exit but the elevator remained out of service until the power of the Elevator was restored.

Almost all Elevators rely on electric power supply to operate properly so when the Elevator went off and there was no generator or alternative means of power supply , Brian Mingle got trapped and stuck in the Elevator sweating and breathing profusely.

The Elevator immediately and initially shut down due to the fact that the power goes off.

Almost all elevators are equipped with electromagnetic brakes.

When the power goes off within an elevator it affects the electromagnetic brakes which stops the elevator from functioning. It can also be noted that in the scenario of Brian when there is a power outage , it means the power of the Elevator is lost entirely.


However, the brake engages

and thereafter stops the elevator. Brian also noted that during the power outage in the elevator ,the lights in the cab and the panel lights will go off whilst the emergency lights will remain still.

Again in instances, when the elevator is not equipped with a back up form of power , the Elevator will remain shut down until the power is restored.

When Brian Mingle was trapped and stuck in the elevator ,he took the following precautions.


Among the following precautions includes

Staying calm and Brian Mingle never panic although he was stuck and trapped in the Elevator.

Brian Mingle also survived in the elevator because the brake of the Elevator safely held the Elevator in place. There was adequate ventilation in the elevator.

Also Brian Mingle used emergency phone to contact someone who can possibly help him, since he was trapped and stuck in the elevator.

Again Brian Mingle stayed calm until an Emergency personnel was able to rescue him from the Elevator during the power outage.

The Elevators can always feature a battery lowering system, when there is a power outage. The Elevator will make one trip on battery power to a nearby floor in most cases the ground floor.

When the Emergency personnel arrived the doors of the Elevator opened properly and the Elevator safely shut down entirely.

Also this allowed Brian Mingle and other passengers to swiftly exit from the elevator. Again the elevator remained out of service until the power was restored.

Brian Mingle knew that there were apparent dangers lurking in an Elevator ,so he stayed calm in the Elevator.


In the Elevator, Brian Mingle was expecting a sudden and frequent stop at some of the floors, including emotions of other passengers.

Elevators are typically powered by some means of electric motors that drive cables and counterweight systems such as the hoist.

The elevator is any type of conveyor device used to lift materials in a continuous stream.

The surfer in the Elevator like Brian Mingle can have the ability to stop the Elevator at any time by pressing the Emergency stop button of the Elevator.

The Elevator surfing occurs in skyscrappers and shops within tall buildings. The Emergency Crew together with an Emergency Service Personnel helped to rescue some trapped passengers including Brian Mingle himself.

Again, other movement can also provide some means of service controls located on top of the Elevator.

Also during the power outage, there is the movement of the Elevator at a reduced speed in order to stop the Elevator from functioning properly.


Finally, after exiting from the Elevator ,Brian Mingle did not enter the Elevator until it was placed back in service by a Licensed Elevator mechanic ,when the electrical power was switched back on the following day.

Lastly being stuck or trapped in an elevator remains as a mystery that can hardly be understood and also solved.

September 08, 2020 10:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.