Hitch-Hikers Cake

Submitted into Contest #101 in response to: Write a story that involves a reflection in a mirror.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Crime Thriller

‘I don’t know how much more of this heat I can take,’ thought the boy as he trudged along the deserted road.

Not one car had passed him since setting out that morning, and he was beginning to think he would have been better staying under that bridge, that he’d called home for the last week.

‘At least there had been water and some shelter from this god damn sun.’

Looking back out of habit, he noticed in the distance a cloud of dust coming towards him, and suddenly his hopes went up.

Even though the driver couldn’t have helped but see his lonely figure on the road in front of them, the boy still waved frantically at the approaching vehicle as if to indicate his desperation.

As the dust enveloped him, he could just see the outline of the rusty pickup as it rattled and squeaked to a stop alongside.

“It’s a bit too hot to be out in this weather,” came an elderly woman’s voice through the dust, “…how far are you going.”

“To the next town” he replied.

“Well, the next town is 20 miles further on,” replied the old lady, and I’m not going that way, but you’re welcome to prop at mine for the night, and I’ll take you in tomorrow if that suits you.”

The old lady sensed the boys hesitation and continued.

“Ok no worries…but I’ll let you know, it’s not all that safe out here, and it doesn’t look like you’ve had many other offers so far.”

Reaching for the key, the woman started the pickup and said, “anyway, it’s too hot for me to be sitting here, suit your….”

Before she could finish her sentence, the boy had opened the door of the vehicle and as he jumped in said, “no that would be great, as long as you don’t mind.”

“It was my idea son,” continued the old lady,

“So, no trouble at all, now tell me, you look famished, so when did you eat last.”

“Um…yesterday,” said the boy awkwardly.

“Ah…good,” said the woman happily, “we need to get some food into you, hope you like cake.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was getting dark, and the cold was beginning to set in, when the truck driver pulled over and offered the young girl a lift.

She had been on the road for 3 months since running away from home, and in that time, had made it halfway across the country.

“A young girl like yourself shouldn’t be out here alone,” said the driver as he patted the seat beside him, “there’s a lot of weirdos along these roads.”

Put off by his overly friendly approach, she was relieved to get out when he stopped to fuel up the next morning.

“Have it your way…” said the driver as he pulled away in a cloud of dust.

Walking through town, she found a café and with the last of her money bought a cup of coffee.

Happily enjoying the warmth of the drink, her eyes fell on the local bulletin board.

She found it had the usual items, job notices, items for sale, and a handful of missing persons, the same stuff she had seen in every town so far.

Noticing this, the waitress said from behind the counter, “if you’re looking for work, come back tomorrow, pretty sure the boss would put you on.”

With a smile the girl replied, “Thanks, but I won’t be in this town tomorrow if I can help it,” and gathering up her things, she left the cafe.

Seeing it was still early, she decided to head out of town, and heaving up her pack, set out on the main road at a steady pace.

Over the next couple of hours, many cars passed her by, as she trudged along the roadside, and as the heat mounted, she was beginning to regret her decision to move on.

At the point of exhaustion, and now desperately looking for some shelter from the sun…suddenly, an old pick up pulled up along-side her.

“Need a lift young lady,” said the old woman at the wheel.

“That would be great,” said the girl, “Can you give me a ride to the next town.”

“I won’t be going into town until tomorrow,” said the old woman, but you can stay at my place if you like.”

Quickly weighing up her options, the girl replied.

“Yeh sure, if it’s no trouble.”

“It was my idea,” said the old lady.

 “So no trouble at all,” as she leant over, and opened the door to let her in.       

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As she followed the woman through the farmhouse, the girl couldn’t help noticing the pile of back packs thrown in the corner of the living room.

“What are all those,” she asked curiously.

“Oh, they belong to my sons, they’re always leaving their stuff around, real adventurers those boys.”   

“Anyway, you must be famished dear,” said the old lady changing the subject.

“Yes, I am,” the girl replied, “I haven’t eaten anything since yesterday.”

“Oh good,” said the woman, “How does tea and cake sound for now.”

“Anything would be fine,” replied the girl, so hungry she was past caring.

“Ok then,” said the old lady, “put your gear in the living room, and take a seat, I’ll be right with you,” …as she retreated to the kitchen amongst a clatter of cups and saucers.

Sitting down, the girl looked around the room, noticing various photographs hanging on the wall, along with a large mirror that dominated the room.

“Are these photos of your sons,” asked the girl again looking at the back packs piled in the corner.

“Yes, my dear,” came the woman’s voice from the kitchen.

“Mind you I don’t see them all the time, they just blow in and out now, but that’s the price you pay for being a parent.”

 

Her mind wandering back to something she had seen in the town; the girl felt a feeling of uneasiness, that was quickly pushed aside as the old lady came shuffling back into the room carrying a tray.

Pouring some tea, the woman then uncovered an impressive jam filled layered cake.

Slicing off two pieces, she passed one to the girl, and said.

“There you are dear, eat something before you faint.”

The girl nodded, and after taking a bite, was amazed by the flavour, and how moist it was.

“This is delicious,” said the girl, “it tastes unbelievable.”

“I’m glad you like it dear,” smiled the old woman, “it’s so easy to make, maybe I can show you while you’re here.”

“No that’s ok, I don’t want to take up your time,” replied the girl.

“I could look up the recipe myself, what is it called.”’

“Oh…dear you won’t find this in any of the books, it’s one of my own, it’s called Hitch-Hiker Cake.”

Suddenly the girl stiffened, and looked at the photos on the wall, then to the pile of backpacks in the corner, as images of the missing persons flashed through her mind.

As she leaped to her feet, the plate on her lap slid off, and shattered to pieces as it hit the ground.

Looking down, she saw the cake lying in amongst the broken mess, but something was now oozing from where the filling had been.

Slowly glancing up at her image in the mirror, the girl was horrified to see blood smeared around her face from where she had licked her lips.

Without looking up, the old lady said in a voice that sent a chill through the girls spine,

“I trust you will be staying for dinner, I find girls are so much more palatable.”         

July 09, 2021 01:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.