To Thine Own Self Be True

Submitted into Contest #95 in response to: Start your story with someone being presented with a dilemma.... view prompt

28 comments

American Romance Fiction

The unexpected marriage proposal went nothing like the way she’d dreamed; no misty-eyed lover dropping to one knee, no declaring eternal love. Instead, it came on the back of a rabid dog with a sweet puppy face.


*


The heat eased after sunset, but the air indoors was still too close. Sarah had fallen asleep by the window under the bamboo ceiling fan. She awoke in the dark with a handkerchief wadded in her fist, and for that moment between sleep and alert, she forgot why she held the damp cloth. Oh, Jordon.


The lake house belonged to her now, since both parents had died, first her father, then months later her mother. As was the family’s habit on such hot summer nights, she picked up the flashlight from its hook by the door and started for the water. Sarah walked alone in the dark, flip-flops slapping down to the end of the private dock. She spread a folded blanket over the moist surface and sat, laying palms behind her, she pressed her shoulders back, opening the space in her chest. It was her first chance of the day to really breathe and she sucked in the sweet jasmine air.

Crickets and cicadas sang the high-pitched sounds she’d loved since girlhood days on the lake. Croaking frogs reminded her of fun times with her best friend Marjorie, who said they were miniature foghorns. Sarah bunched her white nightgown under her slender thighs, let her feet dangle over the edge.

It was the second time she’d worn the princess nightgown since buying it for too much money the year before. The soft Pima cotton designed with a line of tiny pearl buttons, pin-tucks over the bodice, and satin piping edging narrow shoulder straps was fit for royalty. It was the epitome of sensual femininity. She didn’t care anymore what Jordan said about it.

Her mother could have given sage advice. To thine own self be true, she would have said. But Sarah lacked that wisdom and felt lost in the labyrinth of indecision.

The tears began again.


*


It had been a year since Marjorie's debut book signing. Sarah stopped by to brag about her promotion as VP of finance. The women squealed and hugged in the book store’s coffee lounge, while out in the shop customers queued up to meet the new author. At twenty-five, the two best friends had reached success in business and could hardly believe it.


Sarah and Marjorie wiped their eyes and walked back to the customer area where stood a man by the window, sipping from a styrofoam cup. He looked like someone Sarah had seen in a movie, although she couldn't come up with a name.

She unboxed a stack of books and turned to place them on the table next to Marjorie. When she stood, there he was, squarely in front of her, empty cup in hand.


"We should be together," he said and chuckled as he tossed the cup in the wastebasket.


Put off for a moment, Sarah stepped back on her spike heels.


"I mean, look at this," he said smiling and pointing to a dimple on his cheek. "Your have a dimple on your right cheek. Mine's on the other side. Well okay, yours is better. But mine's still a match."


The hardback book in her hand, its fiery red cover suddenly felt heavy.


"You're brave," she said. "I could knock you out with this."


“Maybe so, but I'm not worried. I can duck pretty quick.”


She had to admit it was an original pick-up line.


“What do you think? Put us together and we have a complete face.” He made his dark eyebrows bounce like Groucho Marx. She laughed in spite of herself.


“My name’s Jordan.”


“I’m Sarah,” she said.


“Beautiful name for a beautiful woman.”


At work she would have done the eye-roll. She knew a kiss-ass when she saw one. But no one ever called her beautiful. Smart, yes. But never pretty. Never beautiful. The compliment was so foreign that she didn’t know what to say.


“Have you read this?” he asked.


"The author's my best friend. Its a good book. Even if I didn't know her, I'd love it."


“Historical fiction is my go-to genre. I‘ll take one, on your recommendation.”


“You’ll like it. Want it signed?”

”Naturally,” Jordan said and to Marjorie, he grinned, “Your greatest fan here tells me I’ll love it.” He was a self-assured sort, the type with whom one feels immediately familiar. “My name is Jordan,” he said and laughed when he read Marjorie’s message; To Jordan the Charmer, may you fall in love (with this book—haha). Best, Marjorie.


He winked and thanked her. Sarah had emptied every box.

Jordan said, “Hey miss dimple, want to catch a drink? How about the pub on the corner?”  


Marjorie held her pen, ready for the last customer and looked up, craned her neck to see around the patron and nodded slowly as if to say, "Hubba-hubba."


*


Sarah had a graduate degree and a good job, but those years with the books left her behind in the social world. Jordan found her fascinating for how well-read she was and her position as Vice President in a well known company. Jordan said he loved to cook. She enjoyed fine food, but cooking didn’t interest her. In her kitchen was a Keurig coffee maker, a six-pack of Fresca in the fridge, and a half dozen eggs.


Jordan gave her a lift back to her place that first night and asked to come in.

“Wine’s in the pantry, help yourself,” she said and left the room to change into jeans and tee shirt. 

“What’s this? he yelled from the kitchen. “Seriously, wine in a box?” Chuckling, he added, “Only rubes drink box wine, and we know you are not a rube.” He said not to worry, he would teach her how to appreciate French wine and single malt Scotch.


*


From a cottage nearby she heard piano music, slow and lovely, the Moonlight Sonata. Sarah breathed deep once more and held onto it, wanting to keep it, along with the enchanting night sounds. Of course, she had to let it go and take in the next one if she wanted to go on living. Her hand ran across the smooth cotton on her lap.


Their first outing they hiked beside a stream where boulders blocked their path. She nearly fell in but he caught hold of her elbow just as her knee crashed against the rough stone, scraping the skin, making a shallow wound, the most painful kind. On the way home, they ordered Pad Thai from the take-out joint down the block and he offered go out for it while she cleaned up.

Sarah ran bathwater, dumping in lavender salts. Her knee stung and oozed as she dabbed it and covered it with a bandaid. 

“I’m back,” Jordan called out, “where are you?”

“I’m in the tub, I’ll be out in just a minute. Get yourself a drink and relax.”


She gathered her thick dark hair into a loose mass, letting strands fall around her face then slipped into her princess nightgown. Glossing her lips and pinching her cheeks she opened the door, and faced Jordan who lay spread out on her chenille bedspread, thumbing his phone.


“All set,” she said, standing flat-footed at the end of his the bed. 


He looked up from his phone and laughed. As if she’d worn a clown suit or Wonder Woman costume, he laughed.


“Wow,” he said. “Straight out of Little House on the Prairie.”


“Is that good?” she’d asked while turning halfway toward the mirror, double-checking her image. 


Eyebrows up, his eyes rolled to the side.


 “Sure. It’s good,” he sucked his teeth. “I wonder about you sometimes,” he said, but stood and wrapped his arms around her, lifted the gown over her head, and tossed it. She loved his attention, but inside a tiny piece of her died.


The following Saturday, Jordan arrived at her place with hands behind his back and a sly look on his face that showed the dimple on his left cheek. His short stubble beard was perfectly trimmed at the lip edge, and below the jawline.  


“Whaat do you have?” she laughed, stretching out the words.


They danced around each other as she tried to see, laughing and teasing, until she got hold of his arm and wouldn’t let go. He let her pull it from his hands, a lovely gold satin gift box with sparkling handles. The tag read Victoria’s Secret. Sarah’s insides shrank as she lifted a red thong made of string and delicate lace; under it was a matching push-up bra.


“Model for me,” he breathed into her neck.


She went to the closet. Behind the door, she pushed herself into the bra. G string, right up the bum crack. She tugged and twisted, but there was no getting away from the wedgie. She wrapped her bath towel around her chest, opened the door, and charged straight to the bed.  


“Don’t lay down,” Jordan said, his voice husky. “Drop the towel. Now walk over there, I want to enjoy you, my own private peep show.”


She did as he asked, aware of goosebumps on her paper-white skin. But when he kissed her shoulder from behind, his large warm hands gently pulled her to him, all that disappeared.


*


The gentle sound of oars and low voices came toward the dock. In the moonlight she saw it was a couple, he rowing and she facing him, looking up at the full moon.

“Evening,” a deep voice said.

“Evening,” Sarah replied clearing her throat.

“Beautiful moon shadows tonight. Nice on the water,” the woman said.

Sarah did not answer.


*


They traveled to Europe and South America, touring old vineyards of Italy, French bistros. Together they discovered the glow worms on the ceiling of New Zealand caves. He taught her to ski and took her sky diving.


Marjorie gushed over Jordan the Charmer, handsome, gallant man. Sarah shrugged. Cracks had formed but Sarah refused to tell her best friend. Holding onto the story meant the end wouldn't come. Is there such a thing as happily ever after, Sarah asked herself.


When he was up, she couldn’t get enough of him. But at times, he would turn into a spoiled child, barking over nothing. She asked what was wrong.

He said through gritted teeth, "Nothing. Nothing. Is. Wrong."

He would growl, "Leave me alone."

She despised driving with him in the car. He complained that she put on the brakes too late at a stop sign. Wasting gas. Wearing out the brakes. She’d concentrated then on slowing the car further back until it seemed like she might stop before she made it to an intersection. He chided her for driving like an old lady.

At restaurants, he scoffed at her dinner preferences. Lately, she didn’t bother to order for herself, instead, she let him decide for her. It was easier that way. Food choice wasn’t a hill she wanted to die on.

She complained about his moodiness, his volatility. That was his passion, he’d said. He asked her if she’d rather be with a lumper who adored her and did nothing else. Passion is one thing she’d told him, but the moods, one minute cracking jokes, the next silent, angry. They'd broken up once but not for long.


She had been on a business trip when the final client on her schedule canceled, allowing Sarah to move her flight up. Delighted to have a chance to surprise Jordan, she planned to make a meal he'd taught her, mussels in tomato and wine broth, serve it with a crusty baguette and chilled white wine. Sarah stopped at the market on her way back from the airport.


The after-five crowd had gathered at the pub across from the market. Loaded down with shopping bags, Sarah made her way through the parking lot. A child in the car next to hers held a sleeping terrier puppy. “Adorable,” she whispered as she passed. The dog awoke and began yapping as she opened the rear hatch. “Sorry!” she said to the boy.

Her thoughts went to the playlist on her phone for the evening. She placed the last bag in the car and closed the hatch, noticing that the puppy had quieted and lay on the child’s lap. Nothing quite like a puppy, she thought and reached for the car door handle.


Across the lot, in front of the pub, by the entrance, Jordan put his hand on a young woman’s neck, tilt his head, and kiss her on the mouth. Oh, so tenderly. His hand on that woman’s neck, just as he did when he kissed her the first time.


Later she wondered why she didn’t confront them in the moment. She felt embarrassed for him, caught this way with her watching and turned away, as if it was she who wronged him.


At Jordan’s place she paced, heart racing.


She had flown into a rage like a shaken soda can, the top had sprung and the power locked inside exploded from her as she threw his fine stemware onto the ceramic floor. Again and again, the shards went like shrapnel in a shower of glass and sound, a symphony of notes, blowing up like fireworks amongst a cheering crowd, except no one cheered in that kitchen.


Jordan laid cardboard over the destruction, then as if she were an injured animal, he spoke quietly and took her hand, guiding her away from the glass. It had all been exhausting, reaching this point. He put his arms around her, cooed next to her ear that she was his one and only, that he was sorry and that he would prove it to her. “You want to get married?” he’d asked. But then his tone changed. “If that’s what you want, if that’s what this is all about, then let’s get married.” The words came out harsh and tight.  


*


Sarah let her toes skim the cool black water easing her feet in, making a faint rippling sound. He had become part of her. She forgave his moods and harsh words, the derisive tone, and disparaging attitude. Who would she be without him? They had become an entity as a couple. Together they were unlike anything and anyone else. Being with Jordan made her someone she wanted to be, sophisticated, worldly, beautiful. With anyone else, she was ordinary, just a face among the masses.

May 28, 2021 20:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

04:21 Jun 01, 2021

Woah! Way to display the women's psyche. Your imagery had my head exploding "like a shaken soda can." There were so many good lines in here. At first, I liked Jordan. He seemed so sweet. But as in life, those type of people are wolves in sheep's clothing. Spot on! Great job!

Reply

Mellanie Crouell
00:06 Jun 02, 2021

Hello Trina, You are correct. THIS is the signs of wolves in sheep clothing. I didn't like his approach. Because she wasn't social. He studied her which made his approach so strong. Overall, great story!

Reply

00:33 Jun 02, 2021

I couldn't agree more! Great job, Cathryn!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
05:36 Jun 01, 2021

hi Trina, thanks for reading and leaving your generous comments. the gist of it is that some people are just not a match. it takes a wise woman to walk away if she isn’t loved for who she is. so glad you liked it!

Reply

06:42 Jun 01, 2021

Wise words. I'd like to add strong as well. I may read this again. It was deep. I truly enjoyed it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Howard Halsall
22:56 May 28, 2021

Hi Cathryn, I enjoyed reading your story this week and relished your beautiful descriptions: “Invisible bullfrogs like miniature foghorns,” and your various turns of phrase, “wisdom’s price is an ocean of tears”. That particular line set the tone for the tale and was very apt. On the whole I sensed Sarah’s dilemma, however I wondered if she was selling herself short. You described a bright and intelligent woman who appeared to be taken in by an utter rogue. Sarah had so many endearing characteristics and yet she didn’t play to her strengths ...

Reply

Cathryn V
05:22 May 29, 2021

Hi HH Thanks for the read and ideas. The subtext here is the relationships that women too often give in to. They deny their own ideas and preferences, second guess themselves. Some ultimately lose who they are until they’re deeply entrenched with a family and home. True, Sarah has a lot going for her without this jerk. But romance is a fantasy many girls hold onto. I’ve known dozens of women just like Sarah. Maybe the teens on this forum won’t relate but older ones might. I’ll give your suggestion some thought. One question I have for you:...

Reply

Howard Halsall
07:19 May 29, 2021

I’m guessing she’s rejected the proposal but I hope it’s not under active consideration...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Howard Halsall
17:49 May 31, 2021

Hi Cathryn, It seems you’ve updated your story...? I notice a hint of Marjorie now and a reworked conclusion. HH :)

Reply

Cathryn V
18:10 May 31, 2021

hi there, thanks for taking another look. yes, i did alter it with your suggestions in mind. as far as my question on which way she goes with the proposal, i have my idea that i set up in the beginning. i didn’t want to make it too obvious since that would/could lessen the tension. are you still working on yours or have you moved on to another?

Reply

Howard Halsall
06:23 Jun 01, 2021

Hello Cathryn, I've rewritten my story and reloaded the new version. I liked your idea about Dorothy not knowing how much she's missed and so I've taken a slightly different approach. It's not something I would have considered normally so I guess it was a challenge to take that route. I hope it's not too "Sixth Sense." But hey, you've to crack a few eggs to make a cake, I guess. (I promise no more egg gags after this week...) It would be interesting to hear what you think, if you have a spare ten minutes at some point. (The yolk's probably o...

Reply

Cathryn V
14:20 Jun 01, 2021

lol howard! yes of course i’ll take a look. after my breakfast. i know our time is tight.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
07:42 Jun 15, 2021

Wow. Brilliantly written. The slow reveal to the reader matching her realisation of what he is really like. The scene when he wanted her to model the underwear made me so angry. The part with him criticising her driving whatever she did was a great show of how she couldn't do anything right. I'm ashamed when I recall myself being in this exact situation, thinking there must be something wrong with me! Fantastic portrayal of a woman's reasoning when confronted with this type of man. How someone intelligent and strong can find themselves in ...

Reply

Cathryn V
15:37 Jun 15, 2021

yes, this is a pattern for so many women! When you’re in it, finding your footing can be almost impossible and regardless of all that a woman has going for her. thank you for reading, and for the generous critique!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Skinner
13:26 Jun 05, 2021

Beautiful writing. The way you describe the scene at the lake and her dress in the opening was wonderful and I wanted to read more. You cover a lot of ground here - a whole relationship from the beginning to the present - but it's done so elegantly. I thought the snapshots you choose to share made it very clear what Jordan & Sarah were like as a couple. I particularly like her affinity for the dress and how he wanted her to take it off & then victoria's secret scene was cringeworthy and just a perfect glimpse of their differences. You con...

Reply

Cathryn V
14:42 Jun 05, 2021

thank you Scott, i appreciate your review. i’m happy that the message of the story comes through. If you have any ideas on how to improve the story, please send! Thanks again

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Smith
04:49 Jun 04, 2021

I really enjoyed your story, Cathryn. Very colorful descriptions and word use. Great job keeping my attention. At one point you wrote " “All set,” she said, standing flat-footed at the end of his the bed. " I am not sure what you were saying. I think there are too many words there. Its either the bed or his bed, not his the.

Reply

Cathryn V
05:02 Jun 04, 2021

oops! how did i miss that typo? oh well, thanks so much for the kind comments. i’m glad you enjoyed the story. if you think of it, let me know what the answer is about why a story isn’t approved. did you get a notice when it was “rejected “?

Reply

Ruth Smith
16:13 Jun 04, 2021

Nothing was said about the story that wasn't approved. I realized by the Friday due date of the next set of prompts that it hadn't been. Normally, when I submit something on a Monday, like that one was, I get a notice by the following Monday that it was approved. I will let you know what I find out. Thanks for asking!

Reply

Cathryn V
18:16 Jun 04, 2021

thanks!

Reply

H L McQuaid
14:51 Jun 07, 2021

Same thing happened to me a few weeks back.i contacted Reedsy support and was lucky enough to get Laura, who investigated and found that the judge who read my story didn't approve it because it didn't fit the prompt. Laura read it and thought it did meet the prompt, and she approved the story. So worth contacting Reedsy and seeing what the issue was.

Reply

Cathryn V
15:26 Jun 07, 2021

thanks for letting us know, Heather

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
04:48 Jun 02, 2021

Wow! I was hooked from the beginning to the end. Great job! Enjoyed! :)

Reply

Cathryn V
05:05 Jun 02, 2021

hi Arwen (very cool name) thanks for reading and commenting. i’m glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Arwen Dove
19:33 Jun 02, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
H L McQuaid
08:40 Jun 01, 2021

Good characterisations, and some lovely sensory details that help immerse the readers in the story. For the beginning, I'm wondering if it might be stronger if you omitted "; decades later, when wisdom’s price is an ocean of tears, she’d see it for what it was." We don't see what happened after the proposal, and it sounds like some of the story might be about what she learned in those decades after. Also, for me, phrase 'when wisdom's price is an ocean of tears' sounded more forced, or at least, inconsistent with the beautiful, small detai...

Reply

Cathryn V
14:18 Jun 01, 2021

i see your point. that phrase felt somehow off. i’m taking your suggestion to keep the story’s tone consistent. thank you so much!

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:22 Jun 01, 2021

You're most welcome. You've got a really strong beginning that pulls the readers in with vivid imagery.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.