My story is entitled In the Library after long hours.

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Teens & Young Adult

My story is entitled In the Library after long hours.

Libraries are still places where individuals gather to explore, interact and also imagine.

The Library as noted is a collection of materials or media that is accessible for use and not just for some display. The Library seeks to provide physical or digital access to some material.

The Library is also a physical location or a virtual space. Also being in a library after hours one can possibly read a collection of printed materials and some other physical resources such as DVD’s as well as access to information and music.

Most Library do work after hours and are maintained by the government or some other institution, a corporate or private individual.

Again, Libraries seeks to provide the services of Librarians who are experts at finding and organizing information and also interpreting information needs. Again, there is the aspect of navigating and analyzing very large amount of information in a Library with a variety of resources.

Within the Library , the Library buildings often provides quiet areas for studying and research.

Again, it provides common areas for group study and some means of collaboration.

The Library provides public facilities for access to their electronic resources and the internet.

It can be noted that the library clientele and also the services offered vary depending on its type that is the users of an entire Public Library. There seems to be different needs from those of a special library.

Libraries may seem to be some sort of community hubs in a confined building. It is where programs are delivered and people engage in life long learning in the Library after hours of Research. Some modern Libraries do extend their services beyond the physical walls of their building by providing some sort of material that is accessible by electronic means including the internet.

As observed the services the library offers are described as Library services, information services or the combination library and other information services.

Libraries also consists of archives of the earliest forms of writing.

As noted in a Library after hours, the Library provides physical or some means of digital access to material and may be a physical location or a virtual space.

Most people stay in the Library for long hours because the Library has a collection of books, periodicals, newspapers, manuscripts, films, maps, prints, documents, microform, CD’s cassettes, videotapes, DVDs, ebooks, audiobooks, databases, video games which they tend to play and read during library hours.

Libraries often provide quiet areas for studying and they often offer common areas to facilitate group study and some means of collaboration.

Other Libraries often provide public facilities for access to their electronic resources and the internet. Again, services offered by a Library are described as Library services and information services.

Also being in a Library after hours, one can observe that the Library has usually a staff combination of professionally trained Librarians, sometimes called Library Technicians and some support staff. There are some Libraries that engage in lending, where materials such as books are borrowed. Libraries have become also increasingly multidisciplinary, collaborative and networked.

Again, it is noted that Academic libraries those of Public institutions are accessible to members of the general public in whole. The Academic libraries are also hosted in Post -secondary educational institutions.

These Academic Libraries also keeps current reliable information resources spread through all the disciplines which serves to assuage the information requirements of students and faculty entirely.

Other Academic Libraries offers workshops and other courses outside of formal graded course work which are meant to provide students with the tools necessary to succeed in their program. The workshop seeks to provide students with the requisite skills that will help them in achieving success in their academic careers.

Also, other Libraries also include Children’s Library where there is a special collection of books intended for juvenile readers and other children. There are the National or State Library, Public lending Library, Reference Library, Digital Library, and the Special Library.

The National or State Library serves as a national repository of information and has the right of legal deposits which is a legal requirement that publishers in the country need to deposit a copy of each publication with the Library. Also, a National Library also allows citizens to borrow books.

Their entire collections include numerous rare, valuable or significant works. A National Library puts less emphasis on the repository character.

Also, many National Libraries cooperate within the National Libraries section of the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions in order to discuss common tasks, define and promote common standards and then carry out projects in helping them to fulfill their duties.

The Public lending Library provides services to the general public. Citizens with a Library card can often use the Library at all times.

Other materials such as books located within a public library are always made available for borrowing. It is the library staff who decides upon the number of items or books readers or patrons are allowed to borrow, as well as the details of borrowing and the time allotted.

Again, Libraries do issue library cards that you can use in the Library for long hours to some community members who are wishing to also borrow books. Often other visitors who come to the city are able to acquire a public Library card which I myself can attest that I do have a Public Library card from the New York Public Library. Other Public lending Libraries provides free services and events to the Public such as reading groups and toddler story time. The Library is a source of connection to the vast world.

Also, the Public lending library plays a major role in fighting rising illiteracy rates among the youths. Some Public lending Librarians are protected and funded by the Public they serve entirely.

The importance of Public Libraries has it that they routinely have their budgets cut by state legislature. Also, funding has dwindled so badly that many public libraries have been forced to cut their hours and release employees.

Reference Libraries does not lend books and other items, they can only read at the library itself. The Reference Library is used for research purposes after long hours of staying in the Library. Items in Reference Libraries may be historical and also unique. Other lending libraries may contain a reference section that holds books such as dictionaries which are common reference books. The reading room contains newspapers and periodicals. An example of a reading room is the Hazel H. Ransom Reading Room.

The Research Library is also a collection of some materials on one or more subjects. A Research Library also supports scholarly or scientific research and will generally include primary as well as secondary sources.

Again, the Research library will maintain permanent collections and then attempt to provide access to all necessary materials.

A Research Library is most often an Academic or National Library. A large University library may be considered as a Research Library entirely on its own.

A Research Library can be a Reference Library which does not lend its holdings.

Examples of Research libraries includes the British Library, Bodleian library-Oxford University and the New York Public library, Manhattan, USA.

The Digital library are Libraries that house digital resources. The digital library is defined as an organization that provides access to digital works and have a preservation responsibility to provide future access to materials. A digital library seeks to use a variety of software, networking technologies and standards to facilitate access to digital content and data to a designated user community. There are standards and regulations that govern the library use.

An example is the regulation enacted that No noise or talking should be allowed in the Library.

Digital objects must be curated by digital librarians to ensure the trust and integrity of the digital objects.

Some future trends in digital preservation includes: Transparent enterprise models for digital preservation, launch of preserving objects, increased flexibility in digital preservation architectures, terminology and some other standards interoperability in real time.

It can be noted that all other Librarians fall into the special Library category. Again, Private businesses and Public organizations including churches, museums maintain their own Libraries for the use of their employees in doing specialized Research related to their work.

Special Library can also include women’s library which serves the needs of women and the community at large. Special Libraries seeks to offer services similar to Research, Reference, Public or Children’s libraries.

Some visitors to a special Library are often advised to check what services and restrictions applies to a particular Library.

Almost all readers and individuals who use the Library seek to gain a lot from the Library through Research.

Other individuals and readers also spend long hours in the Special library doing Research and carrying out findings of their tasks and assignments especially women.

Finally, the Library must inform users of what materials or books they have available in stock and impact knowledge to students and some other individuals after hours of research in the library.

April 28, 2021 16:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.