The Unlucky Coin

Submitted into Contest #34 in response to: Write a story told entirely through text messages or emails.... view prompt

2 comments

General

AJ: Hi AJ


Andrew: Hi Andrew what up ;)


AJ: Did you hear that no more flying planes in or out of America?


Andrew: Nobody told me that I couldn't fly in my personal airplane today so well...


AJ: What happened?


Andrew: Well I was flying my new plane that I got for my birthday this year and noticed that something was wrong!


AJ: Let me guess, the air traffic control wasn't home?


Andrew: What! No, I didn't bring my lucky coin!


AJ: Really! That's just sad! : (


Andrew: You know how much my lucky coin means to me. It was my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great uncle's that was passed down throughout our family for many, many great generations. My great, great, great, great...


AJ: We get it!


Andrew: Well, he found it one day in the gold mine that he was woking in. My family knows that it was lucky because the day that he found it, his mule gave birth to 51 babies and found a buckets worth of solid gold!


AJ: Wait, 51 babies! I'm pretty sure that it is impossible for a mule to have 51 babies at one time.


Andrew: Sorry, I meant 15 kids. Miss typing and stuff.


AJ: O.K.


Andrew: Well, my super great Uncle lost the ultimately lucky coin a couple hours later and all the donkeys ended up having cancer while he discovered that the gold was really just fool's gold.


AJ: Where was the coin? Was the luck reversed? Just kidding, I've heard this story only a million, billion times before!


Andrew: Hey, it is my turn to tell a deep and depressing tale of the past, your turn is on Wednesday. Check the chart.


AJ: #Sorry #MyBad #;(


Andrew: O.K. Well as it turned out, the mama donkey had ran off to Vegas with the lucky coin. I'll skip the boring part about the high speed chase and them partially blowing up the house of a national U.S. president. He got the coin back, bla, bla, bla, bla, and ended up trading the mules and fools gold for a lottery ticket. He won $34,000,000,000 off of a stupid lottery ticket. We have kept the super lucky coin in our family for generations and any time the youngest member of the family loses it, the whole entire family is given ultimate misfortune.


AJ: Talk about unlucky karma!


Andrew: I know! So as I flew my airplane today but asI realized that I didn't have it, I started to get too low on fuel! I couldn't turn back home to get it with out crashing, so I had to continue on without my lucky coin. As I was flying onward, I heard a bump to my left and saw in horror that a meteor the size of a grapefruit tear through my left wing. I spun out of control nose-diving into a pond. I was able to jump out and gather a bit of gear before the mini air plane I had just received six months earlier, blew up in the fish pond. I was surly fine except for the fact that I was freezing cold, wet from head to toe, and stranded in a forest with no sign of a way out.


AJ: Wow bro, that sounds tough!


Andrew: Yep, and that is just the beginning! I set up my tent but this crazy old moose kept jumping on top of it before I could go inside and catch some sleep. Eventually I Used an extra rope that I had with my gear and caught the beast by the horns! I tied my end around my waist just as it decided to go for a midnight gallop. It pulled me behind it like I was a rag doll. It finaly came to a stop air the edge of the forest where a river flowed next to a rocky beachside. On a short rock sat an old canoe with two oars and a pack of food waiting inside! I waved goodbye to the brotherly moose but what I got in return was a kick to the face and a bruise on my shoulder. As I floated down the river three thoughts dawned on me; the food was just expired medicine, the oars were snapped, and that I was heading strait towards a rapids.


AJ: How did you survive?


Andrew: Stop interrupting! I would have already told you if you just listened to me! So, as I screamed for help in-between hurls over the side of the boat, I saw a helicopter hovering above me in the reflection of the now green river water. They obviously had seen me and were coming to save me, but the forces of nature just had to ruin my day and pull me over board. I fell over the side of what appeared to be a 500 foot waterfall. About half way down, something caught me. The helicopter people had saved me!


AJ: Wow! They must be awesome dudes to save you from that near death experience!



Andrew: Well, when I opened my eyes I noticed that I had been wrong! A huge brown bird clutched me in it's talons while the helicopter guys pointed five red aiming lasers directly at my head! Just as we came down out of the clouds, we approached an empty city! I was home. Suddenly the bird dropped me into a nest 50 stories in the sky. The evil helicopter people had left not wanting to be seen in the city and left me alone but that still left me with the problem at hand. I was so high up that I was hyperventilating! The bird landed an inch in front of me with a thud causing me to roll backwards, out of the nest and headfirst towards solid ground. I closed my eyes silently prayed for life. I hit a soft pillow life surface and bounced to the right. My dad had left his mattress truck outside again! I ducked through my window and rolled into bed.


AJ: Cool!


Andrew: Well yeah, I need you to come over with some chicken pot pies and zombie make up. I told my parents that I felt to sick to go to their parent teacher conference tonight.


AJ: Are you wearing your Green Husky rain jacket.


Andrew: Yes


AJ: Check the hidden pocket in the hoodie. It is where you put the lucky coin the last time that I saw you.


Andrew: That is where it was! Thanks!


AJ: I guess that "Lucky Coin" isn't so lucky after all!

March 21, 2020 18:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Zilla Babbitt
22:47 Apr 01, 2020

Here for the critique circle. Sounds more like a monopoly of a coin to me! It forces the owner to be dependent on it for good luck, while being an irritatingly easily lost object. Liked the funny drama of the way Andrew talks (texts) and how he is WAY too dramatic. 15 kids? Unrealistic even if mules were able to have kids. And how the twist-- he had the coin after all. Maybe it lost its power after supplying too much luck! I sort of agree with James Offenhartz in that, though the drama was funny, it is a little too much for the story to b...

Reply

Show 0 replies
James Offenha
22:05 Apr 01, 2020

I liked the typos since it reflected real life. This kind of story format to me, is like seeing a play. You were too dramatic. Imagine if these people were drug lords using secret codes or a mom and kid with the mother trying to visit a kid with cancer. The story seemed too unrealistic. I liked the story about the coin, but think about just having it be a conversation between people on an important day. This is the day that what happens (ordinary but irreversible)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.